PDA

View Full Version : Slim Fast

Graphix007
01-14-2003, 12:29 PM
Just started slim fast today, A shake in the morning a bar in the afternoon and anything you want to eat at dinner. Is it any good?

millertime
01-14-2003, 12:32 PM
Whats your goal? why drink slim fast?

Relentless
01-14-2003, 12:34 PM
hey, it worked for Tommy LaSorda, didn't it?

SlimFast may not be the best plan, but if all you want to do is shed weight, then the simply expedient of controlling your calories through the Bars/Shakes they have ain't all bad

and I think it's "a sensible dinner", not "anything you want" ;)

Graphix007
01-14-2003, 12:58 PM
I'm looking to lose weight as fast as possible

AJ_11
01-14-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Graphix007
I'm looking to lose weight as fast as possible

Bad Idea, you'll lose muscle along with the fat. There is also a chance that you end up yo-yoing and maybe going back up.

Ideally you want to lose 1 - 2 llbs a week, but being a newbie with a proper diet and training program you are bound to lose a bit more.

NateDogg
01-14-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Callahan
and I think it's "a sensible dinner", not "anything you want" ;)

lol

Stray
01-14-2003, 04:41 PM
Slim fast = sugar water.

There are much more sensible ways to lose weight than paying for Tommy Lasorda's kids way through college.

Mic Soloist
01-14-2003, 10:07 PM
Can you do Slim Fast and working out? Do u think it would be a good idea, and would u lose a lot of muscle?

Tat_tat_tootles
01-15-2003, 12:06 AM
i think you would have no energy to do so. you'd die from lack of everything. nutrient wise. no?

Graphix007
01-15-2003, 12:17 AM
Here is exactly what I am doing.
I drink a slim fast shake in the morning...
I eat a slim fast bar for lunch...
Drink tons of water...
For dinner its tuna, chicken breast or beef with vegetables and rice....
I walk 1 mile in the morning...
I walk to the gym in the evening about 1.5 miles
Work out 45 minutes...
Then walk home...
Eat a can of tuna...
Go to bed.
I want to be slim and lean good defenition but not huge.
I am 6 feet and 220 pounds
I want to be about 190 pounds
Will this work? and if so how long will it take you figure?
What kind of results will I see in 4 weeks....little ? or lots?

GIS
01-15-2003, 01:40 AM
You need to really restructure your diet plan. You're eating so few calories for what your expending and naturally burning that your body is going to go into calorie defficiency and start to store what it can by fat.

I say aim for a 2,000 calorie diet and eat 5 meals of 400 calories each. An increased number of meals will help spark your metabolism which in turn makes your body more efficiently burn fat. Stay away from too many carbs, but at the same time you'll have to have SOME. Look for complex carbs that come from rice and whole grains and stay completely away from simple sugars.

I also say ditch the slim fast once your supply runs out and replace it with a low-medium carb whey protein powder that has around 200-400 calories, 0-25 carbs, and ~40g protein... there are many out there that taste okay and have a similar profile. Just be careful because protein powders usually don't have the added nutrients that slim fast does, but if three of your daily meals are of healthy and nutritious foods there shouldn't be a problem. Take a multivitamin as well and you CERTAINLY should be getting the nutrients your body needs.

I could go on about many other things but why dont you check out the articles section of wannabebig.com and keep browsing all the threads in this diet section to familiarize yourself with "cutting" as losing fat is called in the bodybuilding world.

Feel free to ask questions after you've done a search on the site (look for the 'search' button at the top of the page) and we'll help ya out. You're looking to lose weight and you seem determined and that's the hardest step. :) Just make sure to stay open to try things that you wouldn't expect to have to do... many of the people on this site know what they're talking about.

Welcome to the board! The main thing to remember is weight loss and muscle gain takes LOTS and LOTS of time... Don't expect to effectively lose gobs of weight in 4 weeks and expect to be healthy and/or keep the weight off.

bradley
01-15-2003, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by Graphix007
Here is exactly what I am doing.
I drink a slim fast shake in the morning...
I eat a slim fast bar for lunch...
Drink tons of water...
For dinner its tuna, chicken breast or beef with vegetables and rice....
I walk 1 mile in the morning...
I walk to the gym in the evening about 1.5 miles
Work out 45 minutes...
Then walk home...
Eat a can of tuna...
Go to bed.
I want to be slim and lean good defenition but not huge.
I am 6 feet and 220 pounds
I want to be about 190 pounds
Will this work? and if so how long will it take you figure?
What kind of results will I see in 4 weeks....little ? or lots?

With that much exercise and so few calories you are probably putting yourself in starvation mode which will cause your metabolism to come to a screeching halt. Like GIS said increase your cals and spread them out over 5-6 meals a day, and try and get a good balance of each macronutrient in at each meal (protein/carbs/fat) and you should see good results. The diet that you have listed above will cause you to lose weight but I would bet most would be from LBM losses.

Stray
01-15-2003, 04:09 PM
I also say ditch the slim fast once your supply runs out

:withstupi