PDA

View Full Version : What is a Good dinner to eat after lifting???

Mic Soloist
01-14-2003, 09:04 PM
I usually have chicken or fish, and some veggies. Then some fruit for desert. Is that a good meal, or is there something I should be eating after lifting???? Also how long should I wait to eat after lifting and what is to late??

AstronautJones
01-14-2003, 09:07 PM
Are you taking a post-workout shake? If so, wait about 45 mins. after your post-workout shake to eat.

Mic Soloist
01-14-2003, 09:21 PM
no I'm not taking a shake

should i be?

ChuckieT
01-14-2003, 09:30 PM
Absolutely! It's essential for any weightlifter to be taking a pre and post workout shake, especially if you want to maximize as well as maintain your muscle gains.

AstronautJones
01-15-2003, 12:30 AM
I don't really think the pre-workout shake is all that necessary. But, on the other hand, if you have the money, it wouldn't hurt. Post-workout shakes however, are ESSENTIAL.

kAiXuan
01-15-2003, 01:25 AM
aj is a smart guy :thumbup:

GIS
01-15-2003, 01:56 AM
Post workout shakes are not ESSENTIAL, although they are extremely beneficial.

Post workout shakes generally consist of a weight gainer or MRP (Meal replacement Powder) shake.

These have very high carb counts that consist of high Glycimic Index sugars such as dextros, maltodextrin, and/or fructos along with a high protein count (Around 45-60g protein).

I won't get into details because there are many threads on the issue, but a simple sugar as listed above spikes a person's insulin permitting faster absorbtion of the protein into the blood stream.

I wont ramble on about what you should eat for dinner because a MRP post workout is the best scenario. If you can't afford them that's a whole different story and there are ways to achieve similar results with an actual meal using the same concepts as outlined above.

Dkm911
01-15-2003, 02:24 AM
how about grape juice and something high in protein...

ChuckieT
01-15-2003, 01:43 PM
Actually from what I've read preworkout shakes may actually be even more important then postworkout shakes... Now if only I could find that article I read online...

GIS
01-15-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Dkm911

I'd reccomend doing something like a glass of orange juice (includes fructos which is high GI) and some sort of animal protein such as chicken or tuna if it is post workout and you can't afford protein shakes.

IDeally you want to use whey, which is what is found in most MRP shakes. Proteins have different properties when it comes to absorbsion. Whey is the fastest to absorb into the system followed by animal meats and finanally casein.

Honey is also a decent source of high GI sugar, but be careful because it's also a natural laxative. :D

AJ_11
01-15-2003, 06:51 PM
To answer your original question, if you choose to have a MRP shake then have it Immediatley after a workout because your body in in the most catabolic state and it helps to add nutrients for it to grow. Then wait between and hour or 2 to have a decent meal with low GI carbs and quality protein. There are places online where you can purchase whey for less then .50 a glass so it's actually cheaper then eating a can of tuna.

Honey is also a decent source of high GI sugar, but be careful because it's also a natural laxative

I think that the problem with having honey post workout is that it contains sucrose(generally what table suger is) and fructose ( fruit suger) and it takes a bit longer to digest. Dextrose would be a better idea Post Workout

EdgarMex
01-15-2003, 07:36 PM
What about if I lift late at night, almost just before going to bed, what would be the best choice of food or post workout shake to have? I'm asking this cause I'm thinking about working out at night after work instead of doing it in the morning, like I'm doing now.

_-_v_-_
01-15-2003, 07:37 PM
Same thing.

The time of day doesn't matter; the overall caloric intake does.

ectx
01-15-2003, 07:51 PM
Whey and a big bowl of cereal were it for me. I substituted a high sugar drink (Ultrafuel) for the cereal now though. I think that your first meal after your post-workout meal should be whey and lots of complex carbs though. Just a thought.

_-_v_-_
01-15-2003, 07:53 PM
My post-post-workout meal is simple: complex carbs (sweet potato); protein (meat); and EFAs.

My post-workout meal is the usual: dextrose/malto with protein (egg white, in my case, since i'm allergic to whey).

Shane
01-15-2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by ChuckieT
Actually from what I've read preworkout shakes may actually be even more important then postworkout shakes... Now if only I could find that article I read online...

I think I read the same article.

AJ_11
01-15-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Shane

I think I read the same article.

Lyle mentions it his article, its because your meal after will still take roughly 20min to digest. If you have a pre shake then it will start digesting and getting delivered to your muscles when you need it most. I also heard that it help having your post workout shake on like your last excersize that way it will get to your muscles even quicker.

Originally posted by EdgerMax

What about if I lift late at night, almost just before going to bed, what would be the best choice of food or post workout shake to have? I'm asking this cause I'm thinking about working out at night after work instead of doing it in the morning, like I'm doing now.

Definitley follow the same plan, your muscles will use all those carbs to grow instead of putting them away for Fat. like _-_v_-_
said that it all depends on overall calories.

Berserker
01-15-2003, 09:59 PM
Shakes are not essential. eating is. Since all my meal involve protein of my prework meal will have protein in it. I do think a prework meal is important.
I do have a shake after I wo, not essential though.

Manveet
01-15-2003, 10:45 PM
Best meal i've had after lifting

Roast with potatoes and green beans.

Budiak
01-16-2003, 12:06 AM
Post workout I often just eat a big jelly sandwich and a quart of milk, then 1.5-2 hours later I'll have a bunch of eggs, some toast, more milk, and maybe beans or something. Protein and fat rules!

But the roast and potatoes sounds pretty good. Too bad I cant afford roast. Or potatoes. Or green beans. Or clothing. Or milk. Or toast. Or jelly.

GIS
01-16-2003, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by AJ_11
I think that the problem with having honey post workout is that it contains sucrose(generally what table suger is) and fructose ( fruit suger) and it takes a bit longer to digest. Dextrose would be a better idea Post Workout

Yes, it's not the best choice but it will suffice especially if you don't take protein shakes with dextros or maltodextrin.

I was about to reccomend a PB&J sandwich (with honey too! :) ), but if you do that it's also a good idea to have some sort of food that has quite a bit of complete proteins in it.

bradley
01-16-2003, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by Dkm911

Eat some smarties candy which are an excellent source of high GI carbs, and some protein of some sort...milk maybe. Like the others said whey would be ideal, but not necessary.