PDA

View Full Version : A question about Tuna !!

Agent Cooper
07-18-2001, 07:05 PM
I just have a quick question about tuna (which I like, and have lots of).

Maybe one of you guys can help me out (e.g. Frankster who I know loves tuna, spideyongear, Budiak, etc.).

Some cans of tuna just have tuna, water, and salt, while others seem to have those plus hydrolyzed soya protein.

Which is better?
Does it really matter?
What exactly IS hydrolyzed soya protein?

I know, I know... Bottom line -- tuna good.

c_8nOM
07-18-2001, 10:17 PM
water, no salt, and ALBACORE!!!
um... .dont buy those soya junk..

Matx
07-19-2001, 01:03 AM
i cant eat ANYTHING but albacore because when i try to have a diff band IE bumble bee i get the worst itchy throat i mean i take one bite and my throat itches like hell its a horrible feeling and i cant stand it. Albacore all the way baby...
oh yea i dont even eat tuna that much i gotta gain weight :p

IceRgrrl
07-19-2001, 04:57 AM
The hydrolyzed soya protein is a euphemism for "filler." Stick with the pure tuna if at all possible.

Where's Frankster? I can't believe he hasn't jumped in on his favorite subject???

the doc
07-19-2001, 07:50 AM
he must be busy eating a can...

i like the starkist albacore. I can get a good size can (45g of protein) for ~90 cents at costco

! serving of albacore also contains 450 mg of omega 3 fatty acids, an excellent source. Throw in some natty pb and you've got a great meal!

Agent Cooper
07-19-2001, 08:30 AM
Okay, so the good stuff is it then...

Here's another question, and I believe it was asked some time ago, but I haven't found it yet:

How do you like to have your tuna (ie. any special recipes to 'spice' things up)???

Spiderman
07-19-2001, 08:58 AM
Dude take their advice...NO FILLERS!! Water and tuna thats all it should have in it. mmmmmmmmm.......Tunaaa..... :D :D

IceRgrrl
07-19-2001, 08:59 AM
Well, you can mix it w/cottage cheese if you want to make a sandwich, or just add some salt/pepper/seasoningsof your choice and eat it out of the can :)

It's also good over greens if you make salads...

Tuna burgers...mash up tuna w/raw egg whites, some chopped green onion, maybe a little garlic, salt, pepper, dill. Form into patties and brown in a pan w/ a little olive oil.

Tryska
07-19-2001, 09:06 AM
hmm...I've got a croquette recipe similar to the tuna burger one...

except that the tuna and sesaoning are mashed with some potato and onion, and then dipped in the egg whites and then sauteed.

and also, if you just saute the tuna plain in some olive oil with the onions and spices, it's pretty good with just about anything.....i like to mix that in with a nuked potato and cottager cheese mashed together.

and lastly, tuna, and canned white beans with red onion chopped in, dressed in a little olive oil (maybe some flax seed oil too, and balsamic vinegar and cracked pepper...good stuff. even better if you can find tuna that is canned in good olive oil, then you can jsut skip the extra oil.

Spiderman
07-19-2001, 09:13 AM
Tuna and fat free cottage cheese is Goooooood!!

IceRgrrl
07-20-2001, 08:09 AM
Frankster, where were you and your orange cat when we needed your tuna expertise?

Frankster
07-20-2001, 08:16 AM
Fack! I cam' t beleive i missed this.. the tuna master is gonna kill me.

Tuna=Good

Period

c_8nOM
07-20-2001, 11:41 AM
lol @ doc..
TUNA AND NATTY PB????
I remember myself eating chicken breast with Natty PB