PDA

View Full Version : BIG CAL'S JOURNAL

big calvin
01-27-2001, 08:54 PM
hey everyone, i think some of you know me, but for those who dont, im 17 years old about 440 pounds and im working with miss abs. ok now im going to post once a week to let you know how im doing and new changes in my diet and training, etc. ive done this before just i always go on then get off but i think this time im doing it for the long term.

ok my diet like the body for life type eating. right now im just tring to stop cheating and eating healthier.

my trainig is going to be a power lifting routine i came up with. here it is:
monday
squats 5*5
barbell curls 3*8

wednesday
bench press 5*5
close bench press 3*8
bent over bb rows 5*5

friday
sumo deadlifts 5*5
military press 5*5

all shown are working

2-3 times a week
lying rotations 3*20
gripper 3*8
calf raises 3*10
db shrugs 3*8
crunches or leg raises 3*10

and im going to try to do cardio every day.

[Edited by big calvin on 01-27-2001 at 10:57 PM]

Cackerot69
01-27-2001, 09:00 PM
are you open to suggestions?

big calvin
01-27-2001, 09:04 PM
yeah sure. i just have to run them by coach to see if see approves.

Cackerot69
01-27-2001, 09:08 PM
well, the problem that stood out to me when i looked at this is your training.

why are you training like a power lifter? i'm sorry, but unless you cut your weight in half and lift some serious weight, you are not going to get anywhere in power lifting...not a flame.

your main concern should be muscle gain, as you probably know...the more muscle you have the faster your metabolism. i think you should change your training focus to muscle gain, instead of maximal strength gain.

big calvin
01-27-2001, 09:16 PM
very good point.....the only thing is im getting a power rack tomorrow and going to be limited on exercises. so what should i do? is it possible to gain muscle while losing fat? i mean i know i can gain some strength cause i have but its harde for me to follow my progress on muscle size when dieting. and easy to know if i gain strength......also im not taking it as a flam , so dont worry, but if i was in the max weight catagorie then it really doesnt matter right?

Cackerot69
01-27-2001, 09:29 PM
so you workout at home i see. i work out at home myself.

this is my routine:

Monday-Back/Biceps
weighted pull ups-4x4-8
bent over BB row-3x6-8
deadlifts-2x6
BB shrugs-2x6-8
barbell curl-2x4-6
incline DB curl-2x6-8

Wedsday-Chest/Shoulders/Triceps
incline DB press-2x4-6
superset: incline DB flye-2x4-8
flat DB press-2x4-6
superset: flat DB flye-2x4-8
side laterals-2x4-8
DB shoulder press-2x4-8
lying tricep press-3x4-6

Friday-Legs/Abs
squat-3x6 (just put the bar on your back and squat!)
leg ext-2x8-10 (this is where limited options come to play, 5 sets of squats would probably be a better choice)
SLDL-2x6-8
leg curl-1 triple drop set
calf raise-2x6-8
ab wheel-2x4-12

my chest routine is kind of "different", i've created that to meet my specific needs (my triceps and shoulders give out before chest, the flyes basically just finish off the chest). as you can see, its not very hard to get an effective muscle building workout at home.

of course, diet is most important...and i'm sure MissAbs has told you that many times :)

Darcy Tucker
01-27-2001, 09:30 PM
Calvin how has your progress been going since months ago when you were on the musclemag forum?

big calvin
01-27-2001, 09:33 PM
C:
looks the same just you add isola. exercises and i dont. but ill take what you say into concerderation.

DT:
well not god cause i started cheating and havent stoped till well now. i just got frustrated cause i hit a platue and lost site of what i whated.

Cackerot69
01-27-2001, 09:34 PM
"is it possible to gain muscle while losing fat? "

-yes

"i mean i know i can gain some strength cause i have but its harde for me to follow my progress on muscle size when dieting. and easy to know if i gain strength."

-yes, you should be trying to gain strength, but it shouldn't be your primary focus. to gain muscle you need to gain strength. just add that rep every week, or 5 extra pounds....or more if you can. train to progress, but don't focus your training on getting maximal strength only.

big calvin
01-27-2001, 09:38 PM
sems very logical,i use to train like that( the 5lb thing) and works good. ill most likly give that a try again.

thanks bro

Cackerot69
01-27-2001, 09:39 PM
when you say you train like a power lifter, you mean training for max 1-3 rep strenth right? usually, tempo is very fast, and TUT isn't high enough for an exceptional amount of muscle gain.

your routine is lacking also...

ex.

no hamstring training, and only 1 movement for back.

big calvin
01-27-2001, 09:44 PM
well all im going to have is a basic power rack and flat bench with a O. BAR and EZ.O. BAR. couldnt i do more sets per exercise?

Cackerot69
01-27-2001, 09:56 PM
well, you could.

but you need more then one movement for back. for a complete back workout you should have a vertical pull, horizontal pull, and a deadlift.

and add some hamstring work.

IMO, more exercise variety would be better. like 2 sets of chins, 2 sets of rows, and 2 sets of deads, instead of just 5 sets of rows on back day. this is just my opinion, but i know many others that share this opnion. as long as you progress, and are happy with your muscle gains, there really is no need to change.

big calvin
01-28-2001, 12:10 PM
ok i just bought the gym eq. and i guess my dad was in a good mood cause i got more then i wanted :) i got a half cage,with plate load high and low pulley,dec/flat/incline bench w/leg att. and preacher att. , 300lb olympic bar set and an olympic ez curl bar. HELL YEAH!! anyways i was thinking about what you said cackerot and i think youll like the routine im about to post: (tell me what you think)

monday-delts,traps
2 military press
2 cable side laterals
2 bb shrugs

tuesday-legs
2 squats
2 leg extensions
2 stiff leg deadlifts
2 standing bb calf raises(off pins)

thursday-chest,triceps
2 bench press w/slight decline
2 low incline bench press
2 close bench press

friday-back,biceps
2 wide pulldowns
2 bent over bb rows
2 bb curls

4-6 reps on all exercises(i get good results from this rep range)

so what do you think? ohh and the reason i dont put deads on back day is cause i put them on leg day and cause i think stiff deads would do more for my hams then leg curls. :)

[Edited by big calvin on 01-28-2001 at 02:12 PM]

Cackerot69
01-28-2001, 12:57 PM
looks ok, but i would make some changes.

monday-since your giving shoulders their own day, i think you should add rear delt work. 2 sets or rear delt raises should be fine.

tuesday-i would add a set of squats, maybe even drop leg extention and do 4 sets of squats.

thursday-if your only doing 2 chest exercises, i think you should add a set to both...and maybe swap decline press for weighted dips.

friday-again, only 2 exercises. either do 3 sets of each, or add an exercise. 4 sets just won't cut it for most people.

i get good results with 4-6 reps too :)

personally, i would put BLDL on back day, i dunno...maybe your low back can't handle it?

looks like a good routine though.

you might want to do some cardio 3-4 days a week too :)

[Edited by Cackerot69 on 01-28-2001 at 09:14 PM]