PDA

View Full Version : Just got through loggin my diet

Big J
01-15-2003, 09:12 PM
Well, everybody has been telling me I wasn't eating enough, so I wrote down what I ate at what times I at them. I went back & logged what each meal contained (calories, protein, fat, & carbs). I ate 6 meals - one including a protein shake.

I was stunned at the results! I thought I was eating a whole lot better! Here's how it turned out :
1890 calories
165g of protein
217g of carbs
51.5g of fat
My protein/carbs/fat ratio turned out to be 38/50/12%!!!

I'm 5'11" & weugh 191. I know my protein intake should be at least 1.5g per pound of body weight - approx 300g! I'm far from that. That is pretty much my daily diet with a coupla changes here & there.

My question is, should I buy Meal Replacements or just use a lot of proetin shakes to boost my protien intake up? Are my carbs too high? Also, the fat is about 90% unsaturated. Compared to the other 2, the fat intake seems kinda low.

I'm a powerlifter, so we train very intensely with high weight & low reps. I would like to here everyones opinion.

Thanks in Advance - J

ChuckieT
01-15-2003, 09:37 PM
Regarding MRPs, I would suggest buying some if you have a hard time packing in protein through other sources, i.e. tuna, chicken, beef. Before dipping more money into protein supplements, stick to the basics and try to throw in cottage cheese etc. If you still find yourself struggling to meet your daily protein requirements, then go for the MRPs. However...about that 1.5 times body weight thing, it probably isn't necessary for you to go up that high (300 g) of protein. Quick question though, are you cutting or bulking?

Also your ratios seem really off. Remember that a gram of fat is actually ~ 9 calories. Recalculate your ratios with that and you'll find that you actually are getting a decent amount of fat with your current calorie intake.

Manveet
01-15-2003, 10:50 PM
You don't need that much protein. 200g a day for you will be fine, you can experiment with more, but I doubt it will make a huge difference. The number one thing you need to concentrate on is eating enough cals.

bradley
01-16-2003, 03:06 AM
Get more fat in your diet. If the ratios you posted are correct then you could stand to get add some more to your diet. This will also help in getting your calorie total up for the day.

Big J
01-16-2003, 10:21 AM
I've decided to buy some meal replacements to supplement in for probably about 2 of my "weaker" meals. What type of MRPs do y'all suggest me getting? I want one with at least 40g of protein per serving. I geuss I'll just have to go to the Nutrition Shop & look for myself. BUT, if anyone has any suggestions - do tell.

I didn't get any opinions on the carbs. I could cut out several by stop eating the Baked Chips. Just a turkey sandwhich doesn't feel right without chips. I started eating the Baked over the Regular. Any opinions on that? Y'all think I should stop buying them all together or are the Baked Chips ok to eat? I've been told to keep the carbs to a minimum. What's the right number?

Chuckie T, I'm really not doing either right now (cutting or bulking). I'm just trying to keep a healthy diet where I wont add(or lose apparently) fat, but keep a steady base for muscle growth. I finished my cutting cycle about 2 weeks ago & I went from 204 down to 191. I had to lose some weight to make my weight class at the meet ;). I've kept the weight off, but I've lost some strength, plus my bench press is frozen! I can't seem to get any stronger. Coach told me it was probably my diet & that's why i did this lil "experiment". I'm wanting to lose even more weight, while getting stronger. I'm not too worried about getting much bigger right now - just stronger. When I lose enough weight & get lean, I'll start trying to pack on the mass. I want to stay in my 198pound weight class.

Manveet, coach told me that I should keep my protein intake that high & get 8+ hours (usually i get 10) of sleep so my muscles will have plenty of time to recover. We train EXTREMELY hard. I've seen several guys come & work out with the team for a day & then never come back - can't handle it. I'm talkin muscular, in-shape guys. Powerlifting takes a lot out of you.

Sorry for the long post. Just trying to get as much help as possible -- J

ChuckieT
01-16-2003, 10:49 AM
Personally when I'm in a maintenance cycle like yourself, I usually keep the ratios of protien/carb/fat at around 40/30/30. So I would, if it were me, drop some of the carbs and replace it with some fat. In terms of the quality of carbs though...I suggest dropping the chips and stick with cleaner carbs. Lower GI carbs like non-flavored oatmeal would be great. You would be eating clean carbs and also have an adequate intake for your powerlifting.

raniali
01-16-2003, 11:28 AM
actually i am surprised you can powerlift as intensely as you claim eating less than 2000 cal a day , esp at 190+ lbs. hell - i am 170 and eat 2200-2700 a day myself.
my advice: up the cals a little bit (not too much at first), add fat (like cod or flax oil even pbutter) and choose better carb sources. i would bet you might have more energy and power during training with better carb choices and an increase in cals.

Big J
01-16-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by raniali
actually i am surprised you can powerlift as intensely as you claim eating less than 2000 cal a day , esp at 190+ lbs. hell - i am 170 and eat 2200-2700 a day myself.
my advice: up the cals a little bit (not too much at first), add fat (like cod or flax oil even pbutter) and choose better carb sources. i would bet you might have more energy and power during training with better carb choices and an increase in cals.

Yeah, I surprised myself. I thought I was eating 2500+ calories. I used to eat a lot better, but good eating habits are hard to keep in college :(. I stay tired & sore - regardless of how much rest I get. Plus my gains are starting to slow down. I'm fixin to up my intake tremendously! I didn't eat any chicken breasts or steak in my "experiment", so I could see what a ''normal'' day would be like. Plus I didn't know what the stats were of a steak (calories, protein, etc). Would anybody happen to know?

I've heard about flax oil. I'll look into that. I get over 80% of my fat grams from peanut butter.

I tried eating oatmeal for a while, but I absolutely cant stand the stuff. I geuss I'll try makin myself eat it again & cut out the Baked Chips.

Another question, I eat a good bit of Deer Steak cooked on the George Foreman grill - especially this time of year. I've got 2 deer in the freezer already. Coached told me that deer meat was even leaner than chicken & turkey. Any opinions on this & does anyone know the protein/carbs/fat/calories of say a pound of tenderloin?

Cottage Cheese - I've heard nothing but good things about this. BUT unfortunately I can't seem to find it in the grocery store. Is it common or is it just in certain areas?

Thanks for the Help - J

raniali
01-16-2003, 03:18 PM
venison is good

u can find all ur nutrient info on http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl

there are other things to eat besides oatmeal for energy: yams, sweet potatoes, potatoes, corn and peas, and even breads/pasta (although they aren't an ideal choice).

and, u can't find cottage cheez in LA? maybe that's a good thing because i find it appalling to eat without a cup of sugar added.

bradley
01-16-2003, 04:13 PM
Should be able to find cottage cheese by the cream cheese and sour cream in the dairy section. At least that is where I usually find it. You can also use www.fitday.com to help you with tracking your diet.

Big J
01-16-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by raniali
venison is good

u can find all ur nutrient info on http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl

there are other things to eat besides oatmeal for energy: yams, sweet potatoes, potatoes, corn and peas, and even breads/pasta (although they aren't an ideal choice).

and, u can't find cottage cheez in LA? maybe that's a good thing because i find it appalling to eat without a cup of sugar added.

Yams & sweet potatoes are the same thing. That is one of THE WORST things for a weightlifter to eat. They raise estrogen levels therefore lowering testosterone. The Indians used them for a "pregnacy drug" giving them to their ladies so they would become more fertile & therefore get pregnant easier. I farm sweet potatoes in case your wondering how I know - the family has been in it for 60 years ;).

About finding the cottage cheese, the town I live in isn't all that big - so that's prolly why.

Stray
01-16-2003, 05:06 PM
Yams & sweet potatoes are the same thing. That is one of THE WORST things for a weightlifter to eat. They raise estrogen levels therefore lowering testosterone. The Indians used them for a "pregnacy drug" giving them to their ladies so they would become more fertile & therefore get pregnant easier.

That's the first I've heard of that...any links to any studies on it?[

raniali
01-16-2003, 05:15 PM
yams and sweet potatoes are not the same thing : yams have orange/brown skin with orange flesh; sweet potatoe has light yellow/orange skin with lighter flesh.
http://server11.hypermart.net/cheffette/frtandveg/swpot.html

i am aware that certain chemicals found in yams and such are used for hormone drugs, but to say they are one of the worst things for a bb to eat is a little extreme, imo. they are chock full of important vitamins, minerals and beta-cerotenes along with being a good source of fiber and carbs. i think that rash statement is comparable to saying that soy has no place in a bb diet as well.

Stray
01-16-2003, 05:17 PM
Wild yam, or Dioscorea, is the tuber of a tropical plant. Don't expect to find it in your grocery store, it's completely unrelated to the sweet potatoes that many people call yams in this country. All sorts of claims have been made about wild yam because it contains a precursor of steroid hormones called diosgenin, which was used as the starting material for the first birth control pill. But diosgenin itself has no hormonal activity. Nor can the human body convert it into something that does.

Did a little diggin...

ChuckieT
01-16-2003, 06:33 PM
In any case, if you don't want oatmeal, perhaps some whole grain bread? Although it's not as good as oatmeal whole grain bread can be a decent carb...especially compared to baked chips. Perhaps add in some legumes if you're looking for more alternative carb sources?

Big J
01-16-2003, 08:16 PM
ChuckieT, I eat wheat bread. Not sure if that's what you're talkin about or not, but...

There's different types of sweet potatoe/yams. I dont know about anywhere else, but here in Louisiana they're the exact same thing. We have both "Yams" & "Sweet Potatoes" on our boxes. We ship all over, even to Canada. We even sell some to Gerber (the baby-food place). The different colors they explained are different types of sweet potatoe. The so-called "American" they are referring to are called Beauregaurd (not totally sure on spelling) potatoes, if I'm not bad-a-mistaken. The "Latin" they're talkin about is the Hernandez sweet potatoe. I would have to speak to my grandpa to make sure I have everything correct, but here in the U.S. yams & sweet potatoes are indeed the same thing - as it says in the link you posted :
Did you know that only in North America a sweet potato is called a yam?

If you ask pretty much anybody, especially in the South, are yams & sweet potatoes different - you'll get a no ;). Scientifically they prolly are different in other countries, but is "ain't" a word? It is actually in the dictionary now, becuase it is so common in the U.S. That's my way at lookin at it anyway...

I geuss I did go overboard on saying it is one of the worst things for a weightlifter to eat. Just a notice, I didn't say anything about a bb as you posted ;). I was just simplying stating that it increases estrogen levels...

bradley
01-17-2003, 03:14 AM
Do you have any proof of these claims? I find it hard to believe that sweet potatoes increase estrogen levels. There is a difference, from what I have read, in a yam and a sweet potato as Stray pointed out.

Stray
01-17-2003, 01:44 PM
I was just simplying stating that it increases estrogen levels...

There's no proof that sweet potatoes have any hormonal effect on the body.

And yes the alot of people confuse yams and sweet potatoes but it doesn't mean there's no difference in the two.

ANYWHO ...way off topic.

Shao-LiN
01-17-2003, 05:20 PM
Where exactly did you hear that they increased estrogen? I've never heard that before.