PDA

View Full Version : Beer before bed?

JohnnyBlade
01-15-2003, 10:27 PM
The lady that runs "The Pita House", the local Pita & Juice pit, was telling me the other day that she has shed quite a few extra pounds recently (in addition to the 70-or-so pounds she lost in the past year) by having a beer before bed.

She said she had read/seen something on TV about how having a beer before bedtime helps speed up your metabolism while you are sleeping.

I just thought I would pose this question here, and see if anyone has any knowledge regarding this possible phenomenon.

Manveet
01-15-2003, 10:32 PM
You have to eat under maintenance cals to lose weight. If that means you can get away with a beer and still be under maintenance, then you're golden.

However, I have no idea if there are certain properties in beer that would illicit an increase of an individual's metabolism.

bradley
01-16-2003, 03:16 AM
I thought that alcohol halted all fat burning because you body usues alcohol before other macronutrients.

JD77
01-16-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by JohnnyBlade
The lady that runs "The Pita House", the local Pita & Juice pit, was telling me the other day that she has shed quite a few extra pounds recently (in addition to the 70-or-so pounds she lost in the past year) by having a beer before bed.

She said she had read/seen something on TV about how having a beer before bedtime helps speed up your metabolism while you are sleeping.

Dear god.......let it be true!:bow:

:alcoholic

GonePostal
01-16-2003, 08:04 PM
A beer before bed is much better then a tub of icecream/box of chocolates/(insert any other calorie dense food). Very skeptical that there is anything in beer that makes you lose weight... Otherwise a beer belly would be something you strive to attain.

Dan Dragon
01-17-2003, 04:27 AM
Beer is said to raise estrogen, maybe it works for women but i strongly doubt it for men. (actually i doubt it in general)

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-17-2003, 10:16 AM
That sounds like ****e to me.

Berserker
01-17-2003, 11:26 AM
I love beer and I find it hard to beleive, even in denile

millertime
01-17-2003, 11:33 AM
Yes, it's true a few beers before you two go to bed, will make her seem thinner.

N4cer
01-17-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by bradley
I thought that alcohol halted all fat burning because you body usues alcohol before other macronutrients. :withstupi

restless
01-17-2003, 04:39 PM
Any excuse will do I guess. Alcohol interferes with the quality of your sleep. Can't remember at what amounts this happens but I thought you drunks should know this. Sorry about that.

:hide:

Reinier
01-17-2003, 04:44 PM
That is teh rambling of a ****faced strawberry

Berserker
01-17-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by restless
Any excuse will do I guess. Alcohol interferes with the quality of your sleep. Can't remember at what amounts this happens but I thought you drunks should know this. Sorry about that.

:hide:
I heard this many times, and I am sure its true. But for me its not a problem. I have trouble sleeping sometimes, I think its better then less sleep.

One beer sure won't interefere, for the average person. But some people belong to the temperence movement and like to bring it up

This was my 1000th post, and I didn't realize it at the time. I am glad it had to do with beer though.:clap: :hello:

Maki Riddington
01-18-2003, 09:40 PM
Maybe an experiment using a variety of foods or beverages should be used to see if it is not just isolated to beer?

Fudomyo
01-19-2003, 10:44 PM
Probably just dehydrates you. You lose 3-4 lbs before morning. It's just all those trips to the bathroom.

The insulin spike just wakes my ass up 3 hrs later, since I'm starving. Good thing I don't drink.