PDA

View Full Version : I just don't know when to eat...

MC Eiht
01-15-2003, 11:48 PM
First off, I'm on no diet whatsoever. Second, I work Sunday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings from 6 AM to 10 AM. On Wednesdays and Fridays, I get home from class about noon. By the way, I'll eat a snack at work or on my way to school. This is when I eat my first meal of the day. I'll usually eat a bowl of cereal or a turkey breast sandwich (white bread, mustard, and cheese). I don't eat again for another 4 hours. Then I eat 4 hours after that. If I don't eat at like 7 or 8 PM, then I'll be hungry all night long. On days I don't work, I'll eat 4 meals. Also I get confused on how much time needs to be between eating and working out. For example, if I eat at 1 PM and work out at 5 PM for about an hour and a half, then is it ok to eat at 8 PM?

GIS
01-16-2003, 01:39 AM
If your bulking there should rarely be a time when you're NOT eating healthy foods.

The night before do some preperation of foods and carry protein bars and sandwiches with you.

You have to be creative with your diet when busy, but I'm a student who works and I manage... it just takes a little effort and a customized eating routine for your specific schedule.

bradley
01-16-2003, 02:54 AM
Try and schedule your meals about every 2-3 hours. I usually eat a regular meal about 1.5-2 hours before training and then have a postworkout shake after training. I then eat another whole food meal about 1.5 hours after finishing my shake. Like GIS said it just takes some planning on your part. Once you get in the habit of preparing meals it becomes second nature. Sounds like you are definetely going to have to eat more to put on some size.

MC Eiht
01-16-2003, 08:32 AM
I'm not trying to bulk up. However, I know my eating habits are keeping me from the body I want.

steveo
01-16-2003, 01:24 PM
You need to plan to eat. eating habits can be adjusted by buying the right food and finding time to prepare it and store it(freeze) then nuke it. I have found that the right equiptment helps, George Foreman Grill:thumbup: , Microwave, and a rice cooker is all I need and it makes a HUGE difference. Oh yeah, and a schit load of those ZipLoc containers.

MC Eiht
01-16-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by steveo
You need to plan to eat. eating habits can be adjusted by buying the right food and finding time to prepare it and store it(freeze) then nuke it. I have found that the right equiptment helps, George Foreman Grill:thumbup: , Microwave, and a rice cooker is all I need and it makes a HUGE difference. Oh yeah, and a schit load of those ZipLoc containers. I use my George Foreman grill so much the teflon is coming off!

Relentless
01-16-2003, 02:59 PM
timing your meals isn't as important as getting enough quality calories in the day, IMHO

track what you eat for a week and check it against a nutrient chart and/or fitday.com or something

then, you'll see how you're doing in terms of total cals plus macro breakdown

THEN, adjust as needed... if you're not growing like you want, then odds are you're not eating enough -- the guys above are spot on with your need to TAKE CONTROL of your diet; if you're gonna be stuck at work/school/whatever for lengths of time, BRING FOOD WITH YOU

as far as scheduling food around lifting, I wouldn't eat anything heavy BEFORE a workout, I always try to ingest some good protein within 30-40 mins of a workout and then I'll typically have a larger meal 1.5-2.5 hours after lifting

FWIW
Cal

MC Eiht
01-16-2003, 09:16 PM
Thanks to all of you I'll start tomorrow!

Dan Dragon
01-17-2003, 04:18 AM
I think Lyle McDonald mentioned in his interview that the timing of food isnīt that important at all (although i eat every 3-3.5 hours) unless one gets the overall calories needed daywise.

AJ_11
01-17-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Dan Dragon
I think Lyle McDonald mentioned in his interview that the timing of food isnīt that important at all (although i eat every 3-3.5 hours) unless one gets the overall calories needed daywise.

It does matter becasue the more times you eat speeds up your metabolisim. I heard this analogy in relating fire and metabolisim.
If you try to light a fire with a huge log then it will take forever to start and but the time the fire is out then what remains is half the log unburned. If you lite a fire with a small amount of kindling and then keep feeding it, it will burn for hours and you will end up with nothing butr ash.

The more you eat in one sitting will slow down the digestion. and you won't really have too much energy right after you eat. Smaller meals give you instant energy.