PDA

View Full Version : Is cream of wheat complex?

Behemoth
01-16-2003, 07:57 AM
Is it complex and should it be excluded in my bulk?

millertime
01-16-2003, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Behemoth
Is it complex?
****No its a simple carb.

and should it be excluded in my bulk?
****depends on your diet.

hemants
01-16-2003, 08:06 AM
It is complex but fairly high glycemic (about the same as instant oatmeal but higher than 3 minute oatmeal)

I think a slower cooking oatmeal cereal would be preferred but cream of wheat is fine in moderation.

millertime
01-16-2003, 08:13 AM
I thought cream of wheat was a refined carbohydrate, making it simple carb.

hemants
01-16-2003, 08:20 AM
People often confuse simple/complex with high/low glycemic.

In general, simple carbs tend to be high glycemic but not always.

eg. White bread is a complex carb but very high glycemic because it is easily converted into simple sugars

eg. lactose (in milk) is a simple sugar but is not very high glycemic because it digests fairly slowly.

Hope this helps.

Behemoth
01-16-2003, 04:37 PM
So cream of wheat is to oatmeal what white bread is to whole wheat? I thought it was a fair choice, just others where better.

hemants
01-17-2003, 06:33 AM
It's not as bad as white bread:

http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_food_diet/glycemic_index.php

Glycemic index (lower is better)

eg.
Cream of Wheat 66
Oatmeal 49
1 min oatmeal 66
spaghetti 40
kidney beans 27
soy beans 18
pumpernickel bread 49
white bread 72

BTW, I think this particular list is screwed up but it's the only one I could find with cream of wheat, i'll try to find a better one.

Behemoth
01-17-2003, 02:07 PM
Right I've looked it up on glycemic scales also (if you want another try http://www.glycemicindex.com/). Anyhow, I'm very confused at glycemic index and whether or not that makes it complex or simple. I understand the glycemic index fairly in depth, and I know that simple and complex are basically how the molecules are structured. But I don't understand how they relate. I've been told that if its high glycemic then its simple, but where do you draw the line? I thought simple/complex was a dead on thing.

K-Daddy
01-17-2003, 02:29 PM
I may be wrong, but I believe that while maltodextrin is a complex carb, it has the highest GI of any type of food (last I checked, at least).

If that's so, then I'd think that whether a carb is simple or complex and its glycemic index would have no direct relationship to each other, though many simple carbs are higher glycemic than complex ones.

-Justin

AJ_11
01-17-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by K-Daddy
...though many simple carbs are higher glycemic than complex ones.

-Justin

Many but not all. For instance apples and oranges are simple suger but are lower than some complex carbs. Then If you eat it with something else like a protein or fat this changes everything as far a the GI value.

Behemoth
01-18-2003, 11:03 AM
Whoa! maltodextrin is complex, mindblower. Okay so obviously complex low GI is what you wanna strive for. But which is better out of these choices... Simple & Low GI, or Complex & High GI? Simple and low I'm guessing. I know theres probably exceptions for each ways, but I'm just trying to get a good grasp on this.

AJ_11
01-19-2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Behemoth
Whoa! maltodextrin is complex, mindblower. Okay so obviously complex low GI is what you wanna strive for. But which is better out of these choices... Simple & Low GI, or Complex & High GI? Simple and low I'm guessing. I know theres probably exceptions for each ways, but I'm just trying to get a good grasp on this.

What do you mean which is better?, it all depends on the quality of food that you are eating. Sure I am not saying not to look at the GI once in a while just don't let it confuse you. Remember to eat a balanced meal at all times that is as clean as possible. By saying clean I mean meals that you can get the most amount of nutrients from. The unprocessed stuff. After a workout take some Dectrose or Maltodextrin with whey and the rest of the time focus on eating healthy balanced meals.

IMO, the GI should only be used as a guide once in a while.

GuitarPlayer
01-19-2003, 11:17 PM
dude the GI is not written in stone. it not only varies from person to person, it has much to do with how much water, fat, protein, and fiber you eat with it as well.

don't worry too much about it. just avoid the processed sugary foods. i really don't think a 50 is so much better than a 60 on the GI.