PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone noticed that almost all advice contrast each other?

mr_hand
01-16-2003, 11:04 AM
I can't take it anymore. You read some stuff that says such and such is good for you, and then you read some more info and it will say such and such is bad. It can drive a person nuts. For example, lets talk about dropping some bodyfat and getting into shape. There are articles that say you need to lower your carbs bigtime, must do much cardio, and do not eat before bed. Then you will find other articles that say that cutting out carbs to lose bf is a myth, and you should not restict them even while cutting, that cardio doesnt play that big of a part in losing bf, and that you should eat before bed. Its insane!!!! From one website to the other, I see almost the absolute opposites of advice. No wonder these new kids starting up have no idea what the hell to do.

Blood&Iron
01-16-2003, 11:11 AM
Well, personally, I have very few hard and fast rules when it comes to training and diet. So long as you focus on the important stuff like progression, a caloric deficit (if dieting) or a caloric surplus (if bulking) then I don't think any of that kinda sutff willl make or break your approach.

I do think there ARE a lot of myths, though, not predicated on any kind of science, and it's frustrating to see them be perpetuated by folks who should know better.

raniali
01-16-2003, 11:21 AM
the thing is .... *some* of those 'myths' do work for some people. the key is to figure out what is applicable to you. like B&I said, the only hard and fast rules are to maintain a deficit when cutting and a surplus when bulking. everything else is a variable.

Paul Stagg
01-16-2003, 11:29 AM
Well said.

There are common things among all of the uncommon.

All fat loss diets REQUIRE a caloric defecit, for example. The macro breakdown doesn't really matter all that much, although some people seem to respond better to certain mixes.

Sharkman_75
01-16-2003, 11:41 AM
All the fads and "breakthroughs" are just ploys to get more money. Throughout the history of man, there has been one basic recipe for losing weight. The body hasn't changed. There's nothing NEW that was discovered. The key is simple math! Burn more calories than you take in. There are no two ways about it. Now how you accomplish this, there are millions of ways. All these breakthroughs are just re-inventing the wheel (but it's still lucrative).

Stray
01-16-2003, 02:59 PM
You mean theres effort involved in this whole nutrition thing?

The only clear solution is to just give it all up and resort to a life of binging and gluttony.

/sarcasm off

Relentless
01-16-2003, 03:04 PM
B&I, rani and Paul make very good comments

if I were to add anything it would be this:

Paying attention to how your body reacts to changes in diet/etc. is at least as important as the diet/plan you're on. If you make changes, make them incremental, monitor them/record them and evaluate the impact.

FrusWeighted
01-18-2003, 02:19 PM
Almost every bullsh*t diet or method of weight/fat loss works... it's just that most Americans have no attention span or will power to stick to a set thing, or just basic self-awareness to know what works for them or doesn't. Conflicting theories equals more confused people which equals more money for the billion dollar fitness industry on all it's evil corporate levels. Anyone offering help has something to gain.

Ever notice the Food Pyramid? It is designed to keep you, or make you, FAT. Ever notice why RDA's of vitamins are so low? They want to keep you weak. Ever notice why cigarettes and alcohol, two drugs that do absolutely nothing for you, are the only legal drugs in this country? In this great Capitalist society, there's more MONEY in treatment than cures. Enjoy.

restless
01-18-2003, 02:56 PM
Things are quite simple really, and nowadays there's enough info spread around the internet as to allow you to make a judgement on what is valid or not, provided you are willing to do the research.

The quantity of myths is scary at times, but in most cases you don't have to look to far to be able to refute them. That not eating befor bed thing, for example, it's obvious that if you cut a large meal like dinner you'll get less calories a day, and therefore there's a bigger chance of losing weight. Problem is, instead of reaching this obvious conclusion a huge leap of faith is taken and you conclude that since you'll be sleeping the whole night and not doing any exercise in this time frame, then anything you eat will be stored as fat, so not eating at night is the miracle solution to this problem.

The low carb thing can be a little more tricky. It is true there's little if any difference between the weight loss resulting from a high fat and a high carb diet, all other things being equal. But a lower carb/higher fat diet will allow you to mantain a better hormonal profile, thus having a muscle sparing effect, and it's insulin management properties are important to make something like an EC stack work.

Cardio is the devil. It makes me lose muscle quick and I'm not doing any.

bradley
01-18-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by restless
Cardio is the devil. It makes me lose muscle quick and I'm not doing any.

Sounds like a good post for your signature restless.

restless
01-18-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by bradley

Sounds like a good post for your signature restless.

Think so? I rather like the one there now...Maybe I'll put up this one too.