PDA

View Full Version : Contradicting goals? Need some help.

InProgress
01-16-2003, 01:29 PM
I have been on a forced break from lifting for the past 3 months. I just got back into the gym and I feel like my strength just plummeted while I was off.

I have 2 goals in mind before I start trying to bulk seriously.

1. I want to gain back the lost strength
2. I want to lean out to around 9-10% bf before I begin bulking.

My question is this:

Are these goals contradictory? Should I expect to be doing one or the other, but not both?

It seems like I would want to have my strength back to where it was before I took a break so that when I begin bulking I will get optimal muscle gains. I have been limiting my carbs to mostly morning oatmeal Mon. – Sat. with a free day on Sunday to get some carbs back in the system. I just feel like since I have not been eating many carbs, that I am not able to give it my all in the gym, thus making it hard to gain back my lost strength.

Your help and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

bradley
01-16-2003, 04:10 PM
I think that you will gain back some strength just not as much or as fast as you would if you were in a caloric excess. Might pull up more info by running a search on muscle memory in the training forum. I would go ahead and at least eat at maintenance level or go ahead and start bulking by slowly increasing cals.

nejar462
01-16-2003, 05:24 PM
Well if you weigh less you'll squat and deadlift more, as long most of the weightloss is fat.

Dan Dragon
01-17-2003, 04:56 AM
Your nutrition looks like a ckd to me, but be careful not to eat more than 30gr of carbo on monday to saturday otherwise you´re not in ketosis and you won´t lose fat but muscle and feel weak of course. Also carb-loading day is very important, you have to superhydrate your muscle by eating and drinking low GI-carbos and by drinking a lot of water (at least 4 liters, sorry, but i don´t know exactly how much gallons that would be, ~ 1 gallon i guess). Prior to that carbo-day you could do a depletion workout, meaning that you work your whole body in a low intensity way with a circle manner until you feel a certain drop in energy.

This is to squeeze the last bit of carbo out of your muscle. After that workout you immediately start carbo-loading. Oh, BTW prior to this depletion workout drink ~30-50 gr of high GI carbo(fruit juice, gatorade) , to take you out of ketosis bec your muscle wouldn´t burn glucose but ketones otherwise.

I don´t think that your goals are contradictory, the best for you would be to eat just enough to get stronger in your workouts until you´re satisfied with your BF (that means you lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, which is possible with ckd) and then raise your calory intake by ~500kcal until you don´t grow stronger and then raise the calory intake again and so on.

BTW, there are 2 very good articles about ckd (cyclical ketogenic diet) in the nutrition archive!

Good luck with your goals, InProgress, and keep us updated

bradley
01-17-2003, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by Dan Dragon
that means you lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, which is possible with ckd

I would think that it is possible but these kind of results are not likely.