PDA

View Full Version : Fruit spreads/Jams

Solido
01-17-2003, 09:17 PM
Out of sugar-free jam or a 100% fruit spread, which would be a better choice? All the sugar free jams i've seen (i.e. smucker's brand) contain maltodextrin or polydextrose, and as far as i understand these are very high glycemic sugars. The 100% fruit spread has fructose from the fruit. Am i correct in assuming that the sugar free versions would create a more significant raise in insulin?

HANSEL
01-17-2003, 09:34 PM
fructose is Sh*#
Id cut with the SF kind

Maltodextrin is a Complex carbohydrate.

Polydextrose, a low molecular-weight polymer of glucose and sorbitol (with a trace of citric acid), is fairly bland, water soluble and provides only 1 kcal/g. Polydextrose replaces the bulk and absorbs the water normally held by sugar.

The “carbs” in question include polydextrose, glycerine and polyols (sugar alcohols) such as maltitol and mannitol. While similar in some respects to conventional carbs, these nutrients are dissimilar in other key respects. Chemically, they differ. Metabolically, they can differ as well, especially for individuals on specific diet programs. For example, polyol caloric yields differ from conventional carbs. Typical carbs products 4 calories per gram. Polyols, on the other hand, can yield as few as 1.6 calories per gram.

More important for low carb dieters, these “carbs” can differ metabolically: they are extremely low glycemic-index substances. As such, they have a lower impact on blood sugar and insulin levels.

bradley
01-18-2003, 04:54 AM
Even though maltodextrin is complex it is very high GI, right?

Solido
01-18-2003, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, as far as i know maltodextrin is complex but has a gi of 100+, much like white bread.

I'm not cutting currently, but i'd still like to prevent unwanted insulin spikes. Would i just be better off eating whole fruits instead of the jams?

_-_v_-_
01-18-2003, 08:26 AM
The amount of maltodextrin used in sugar-free spreads will be minimal, likely, at least when compared to the sugar and/or fructose of other spreads.

HANSEL
01-18-2003, 08:31 AM
from what I understand...Maltodextrin doesnt refill liver glycogen, only muscle stores, so it wont inhibit your bodys natual fat burning process. I have eaten lots of Malto post and pre workout and has never really caused insulin spikes for me. The trick is just taking in small amounts so that the excess isnt readily stored as fat.

HANSEL
01-18-2003, 08:38 AM
Also, if your having it on something fiberous, it will be negligable on BS.

Solido
01-18-2003, 10:41 AM
Yeah i'd be having it on whole grain toast or oatmeal, and both have lots of fiber.

Thanks for the info hansel.

body
01-18-2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by bradley
Even though maltodextrin is complex it is very high GI, right?

yep.

about the same as straight glucose(dextrose)

bradley
01-18-2003, 01:56 PM
Even though fructose is used to refill liver glycogen there is not enough in a little bit of 100% fruit jam to even worry about IMO.