PDA

View Full Version : post training nutrition- read this-

tuttle
07-20-2001, 04:33 AM
ok, I have recently read some very interesting info in a bacck issue of the natural press about post training drinks (written with some top references). One of the main poionts raised was if the majority of your proteiin source is taken immedetatly after your work out with youur carbs, the body as its in its high catoblism state and has very low blood sugar levels will use all the carbs as planed to resynesise muscle glucose stores and most of the protein will be transported to the liver and converted into glygogen! so the experts qoted suggest the best thing to do is consume 70-100g of simple carbs with 15g of hydrozened whey. This would mean the body would get a high dose of carbs with a protein source which digests and enters the blood stream so quickly it cant be transported to the liver to be oxidised. this also (carbs/protein mix) increases glygoen stored by 40% while promting a positive nitrogen balance.
So in one way you are consuming less protein straight after training but the muscles will receive more. 30 mins after that, a protein shake should be consumed and then the body will be able to used the amino acids to resynsise muscle protein with out any being wasted. If that drink was whey, eat a meal 1 hour later but if it was as slow digesting proteiin like casin the meal can be consumed up to 2-3 hours latter as the anti-catoblic effests last that mmuch longer.
Any ideas on this, it does to me make a lot of sense as the body after traing wants to primarly replenish the nutritent its most run out of. Does any one think this post training opproach is worth ago?

Cackerot69
07-20-2001, 04:42 AM
Bollox.

YatesNightBlade
07-20-2001, 04:45 AM
lmao @ cack

Leviathan
07-20-2001, 07:28 AM
Go check out some of the articles at www.ast-ss.com - there are a few articles on optimization of post-workout supplements covering creatine, protein, and carbohydrates.

Cackerot69
07-20-2001, 07:42 AM
I wouldn't get supplement advice from a supplement company personally.

tuttle
07-20-2001, 12:46 PM
cackerot69, abit more feedback would be nice....

tuttle
07-20-2001, 12:51 PM
e.g why is it crap and what do you recommend?:confused:

Cackerot69
07-20-2001, 12:59 PM
LOL...sorry.

Yes, that approach is very good.

tuttle
07-20-2001, 01:12 PM
Does any body else got any opinion on this two stage post training drink?

07-20-2001, 03:00 PM
bah keep doing what people have been doing for years. Lots of simple carbs and protein after training. I know a lot of people who have gotten mighty big with that method so it can't be all that bad, eh?

Cackerot69
07-20-2001, 03:47 PM
I know a lot of people who have gotten mighty big by sticking needles in their asses, can't be all that bad, eh?

Sayiajin Prince
07-20-2001, 05:10 PM
frig i just took 40 gms of whey 5 mins post workout...

lets try to form a desent fuggin post work out plan, no explanation mixed with plan...keep it clear:

1) how much protien should u take post work out?
2) how much carbs should be taken post work out?

3)when da fug do u take these?

seems like carbs imediatly of sets that liver stuff, but how do u get in the pro?

some one help me out :confused:

the doc
07-20-2001, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by tuttle

...so the experts qoted suggest the best thing to do is consume 70-100g of simple carbs with 15g of hydrozened whey. This would mean the body would get a high dose of carbs with a protein source which digests and enters the blood stream so quickly it cant be transported to the liver to be oxidised. this also (carbs/protein mix) increases glygoen stored by 40% while promting a positive nitrogen balance.

Experts? :rolleyes:

Well for certain there's no way that it would "enter the bloodsteam so fast it cant be transported to the liver for oxidation..." I believe this is physiologically impossible. The blood goes from GI tract to the liver (serving a very important function of eliminating toxins from food). Perhaps though it would absorb fast enough that it would overwhelm liver enzymes performing gluconeogenesis and aminos would make it though the liver.
If you can consume in this fashion, i think it would be a worth a try. It's difficult to speculate how much difference it will make.

Taras
07-20-2001, 08:44 PM
Tuttle,

The first thing I want to know when I read that "the experts say" is how do the experts know this? Did they actually do carefully controlled studies where they analyzed blood and/or tissue samples, or did they just sit down and decide, "Well, it makes sense that if somebody did thus and such, this would be the expected outcome?" There's a big difference. I think there's too much dogma based on what "the experts" figure out should happen rather than on good research to find out what actually does happen.

07-20-2001, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Cackerot69
I know a lot of people who have gotten mighty big by sticking needles in their asses, can't be all that bad, eh?

Don't know if your joking or trying to be serious. Sticking needles in ass cheeks may be bad but it also works towards gaining mass just like protein and carbs. Don't quite see your point here.

body
07-21-2001, 09:49 AM
personaly go for about 0.8-1.2 grams of meduim to high glyceamic carbs per kg bodyweight with this take 40% of the energy and have it as protein. try to keep the fat down. this meal will be quickly absorbed and help reduce the damage of catabolism.

tuttle
07-23-2001, 03:16 PM
Taras, i am checking out the references given to see what the researchers have really found, as i am going to keep taking all the carbs and protein together until i am shore the two way appoarch is worth it, but saying that it is looking promising and quite a few top naturals are using this system. The AST website is a very good place to get some more info from as they use independent research articlse by Dr.s etc to base their info.