PDA

View Full Version : A (somewhat) goofy routine I'm goin' to check out...

Copenhagen
01-19-2003, 01:46 PM
Having read through these boards on a near-constant basis since I've joined, I've found everyone seems to have different ways of handling this 'iron game' of ours. I think I'm going to throw my own monkey in the wrench and see what happens.

I've started training with a simple high-rep squat program. Thus far I've only had one workout, which was three days ago...and I'm still sore as heck. The routine goes:

Squat 1x20 (select a weight you think you can do for about 12 reps, then, pausing and breathing between reps with the bar still on your shoulders, force out twenty)
Pullovers 1x20 (not sure what they're good for, but I love the feel of these; I do them with a dumbell)
Hang Pulls 3x6 (my traps, delts, and lats feel like they're going to tear away from my bones after these)
Dips 3x8 (I can hit my chest much better on dips than I can with the bench press, and I never did like benching much anyway :eek: )

That's it, plus a good warmup and some light work with the squats before the work set. I'm probably only going to be able to take this on twice or so a week, judging by how sore I am right now. I'm sure I'll receive the argument that I'm not working every muscle I should, but I tend to listen to my body and it's telling me muscles I didn't know existed got hit with this. Either way, I welcome comments and suggestions.

My goal is to bulk a few pounds, and I figure the squats will serve that purpose nicely. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Latah,
-Cope

ebon00
01-20-2003, 06:02 AM
Don't listen to people who tell you the routine isn't complete or too short. These are the people who have never done high-rep squats and don't know what a high pull is. If you work these exercises hard (and go low on squats) it will be more than enough as the soreness and general exhaustion will tell you.

Berserker
01-20-2003, 09:12 AM
20 rep squats scare me. If your doing a decent weight they probably hit your legs good. Also do them for awhile then drop lower reps, probably really add some strength.

Fudomyo
01-21-2003, 06:35 PM
I think a lot of people do well on this routine.

Hard to tell on the frequency. I need at least a week for legs to recover. 4 sets with a little warmup can't be too bad though. I've seen every 4-5 days suggested.

Let us know how it works out for ya.

fuzz
01-21-2003, 06:57 PM
Looks like a good classical abbreviated routine to me. No need for much else...maybe work this into a HST schedule for maximum bulk? Check www.hypertrophy-specific.com for more on that.

Whats your diet like?

Copenhagen
01-21-2003, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I've found my leg strength...well...sucks. My first day I tried 115, went too fast and failed at 11 reps, had to rack the bar and rest before I could finish the last 8. I did fine with pullovers at 35, hang pulls are weak at 95 (I'm still learning the movement), and I have to use the machine and take 20 pounds off my weight to complete the dips (I was pretty tired by the time I got to them).

It took three days before I thought I could hack it again. I was still a tad sore when I went in, but everything seemed a little easier this time. The squats were almost no sweat...I took it slow and punched out 20 reps without much of a problem. I think I'll add on five pounds or so for the next. The hang pulls also seemed easier...maybe I've gotten the form down, I'll add a couple 2 1/2 plates on there and see what happens. I intend on building the weight slowly...I like to go ass-to-the-floor on squats (don't count if I don't break parallel) and heavier weights will get a little sketchy over time.

Anyway, I'll keep you all posted. Not sure if I want to get a journal going yet; I doubt I'd keep up. The nice thing about so few exercises is I don't have to write things down :D

Latah,
-Cope

TMan
01-21-2003, 07:39 PM
I think it looks like a great routine! Good luck with it!

Berserker
01-21-2003, 08:40 PM
For adding #s to your squat I am progressing nice on 6-8 reps. I am not saying theres anything wrong with 20 reps either.

Songsangnim
01-23-2003, 06:59 AM
Looks like a solid routine to me. I have been trying to sell people the value of a abbreviated routine since I joined. Yet another convert!:D

Paul Stagg
01-23-2003, 07:11 AM
You can do that more often than 2x a week. Your body will adapt.

I think you could add a couple of accessory lifts (maybe not do them every day) to round things out... but the key will be pushing those lifts (especially the squats) as hard as you possibly can.

Every person I've ever met who can squat 315x20 (deep) has been pretty damn big.

IceRgrrl
01-23-2003, 08:59 AM
Sounds interesting, that's for sure. When you plateau on the squats, or burn out mentally (it's tough to psyche yourself up for sets of 20 squats day in and day out), maybe you can change things up and go low rep on the squats/pullovers and high rep on the pulls and dips.

Let us know how it goes :)

Copenhagen
01-23-2003, 12:33 PM
Again, thanks for the responses.

Paul, I've already taken your advice...I decided I'll throw in some flat DB presses (before the dips), maybe 3x8, and some ab work. Maybe direct arm and calf work later. I recovered much more quickly from the second workout than I did the first, so I'm going in today and adding a tad bit of weight.

I think I'll get a journal going soon. This stuff is interesting :D

Latah,
-Cope

ElPietro
01-23-2003, 12:41 PM
Are those DB pullovers with a straight arm? Or bent? Either way, I don't think you have enough lat stimulation in there, but that is just my opinion.

Copenhagen
01-23-2003, 04:44 PM
Straight-arm for the most part. Like I said, I'll add on gradually, but thanks for the lat advice.

Third workout today. Felt good, added five pounds to the squat and worked through the 20. Also added five pounds to the pulls. By the time I was done with dips, I was about ready to drop, so I cancelled the flat bench DBs and ab work like I had intended. Maybe next time.

Again, thanks for the responses.

-Cope

Copenhagen
01-23-2003, 04:46 PM
Forum administrator, if I may ask a favor...I think I'll take this thread and turn it into a journal, since it seems to be goin' that way...could you move it on over to the journals forum?

I'd appreciate it.
-Cope

Paul Stagg
01-24-2003, 07:18 AM
Done.

Copenhagen
01-24-2003, 10:11 AM
Thanks a bunch!

-Cope

Copenhagen
01-24-2003, 01:24 PM
Feeling pretty good today. Yesterday's lifting wore me out pretty hard; I'm sore but not in agony as of this afternoon. I got up really late, so all I've had is lunch (breaded fish, an apple, and 2 glasses of milk), and I ran out of milk in my fridge so I can't throw together a protein shake. I'll make a run to the grocery store later on and fix that little problem. Tonight I might go out for dinner, or just rely on the school cafeteria (which, I might add, isn't all that reliable).

After that, I gotta go drinkin' tonight. I'll try to avoid the cigarettes, as I'm still trying to quit (been clean for about two weeks now, I got weak last time I went out). Chances are I will have polluted my lungs by the end of the night, but oh well. Wish my skinny a$$ luck with the ladies :p

Latah,
-Cope

Copenhagen
01-25-2003, 12:21 AM
I am currently writing this to you all in a totally drunken stupor. Went out tonight, met a girl (who's supposed to call me tomorrow, yeah right :rolleyes: ), had a case worth of beer and half a pack of cigarettes. So much for quitting. Oh well, it was a good night overall.

Next workout is Sunday morning. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the responses, all!

Latah,
-Cope

Copenhagen
01-29-2003, 12:05 AM
Ok, it's been five days since my last workout. I managed to pick up a virus and it's knocked the heck outta me. I went into the gym today, feeling somewhat better.

The high-rep squats continue to progress. 120 lbs was easy today, so I think I'll move up to 125 in a couple days.

DB pullovers remain at 35.

High pulls were a little harder today for some reason. I did fine on the first two sets at 100, but on the third my grip strength died. Dropped the bar onto the pins and made everyone in the gym jump. I picked it back up and finished the set.

I still have to take 20 lbs off my bodyweight to accomplish the dips.

Today I threw in two sets of DB flat benches at 40 lbs, hit failure at seven reps on the first and four reps on the second. Since I was already tired from the dips, I decided maybe I should put together another day for this high-rep squat routine. Here is my proposal:

Deads or SLDL (I like the straight-legs)
Flat DB bench
Lat pull-down (maybe BB row, although I don't prefer it)
Ab work, maybe some bis and tris (I hate direct arm work).

I'm proposing 3 x 8 on these. The schedule would look something like this:

Monday: squats, pullovers, high pulls, dips
Tuesday: deads, bench, lats, abs/arms
Wednesday: rest
Thursday: repeat Monday
Friday: repeat Tuesday
Weekend: rest

Let me know what you all think.

A funny observation for today: When I showed up at the gym I made for the nearest power rack to commence my squat warm-ups. The rack in front of me was occupied by some numbnuts doing--what else--BB curls. Shaking my head, I loaded up, did my 20, and left to do pullovers. When I came back, the curl jockey was gone, so I took his rack to set up for high pulls since someone was setting up in the other. As I finished the first set, I looked around to find the guy in the other rack doing--what else--BB curls.

What a waste of a good rack. Think I'll brain 'em with the EZ curl next time.

Latah,
-Cope