PDA

View Full Version : Quick N' Dirty Atkins

GoldenBoy
01-20-2003, 05:25 AM
im looking for a specific list of foods i can have while on the atkins, im not big on variety just quantity... hehe... so if anyone can help i would greatly appreciate it! Also i bbq ALOT so ill be enjoying plenty a Ghetto Burger :)

i understand the idea is to stay away from Carbs & Sugar and UP the Protiens.. im guessing... im cheap and dont plant on basing my life on the Atkins so i dont want to buy the book... here goes..

WATER
Eggs
Cheese (any SPECIFIC ones?)
Red Meat
Chicken
Tuna/Salmon
Whey Protien
2% Whole Milk

not sure about... Peanut butter (i love the stuff), WHAT if ANY fruits & veggies, and any meal replacemnt bars/shakes?

should i be supplementing with any Vitamins, Minerals, Oils, etc??

thanks all! if anyone has a link to a deep explination of the diet and what you can and cant eat it would be appreciated!

- GB

bradley
01-20-2003, 05:47 AM
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/Data/SR15/sr15.html

www.fitday.com

You can use these two site and might want to think about getting a book that has calories and macro breakdown of the different foods so that you know how many carbs are in the foods you have questions about. The main thing is to make sure you stay within your carb limits for the day.

I would be careful about some of the things you have listed like pb, milk (too many carbs), some whey proteins, and BBQ sauce (has a too many carbs).

Here is another site that may be of some help.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php?

Berserker
01-20-2003, 09:20 AM
Atkins diet is 20 grams of carbs for 14 days, then increase a bit until eventually you find the right point for you. You have to be strict about. Enjoy the foods you normally don't eat. Eat bacon like a fiend sausage, cheese, eggs, meat, chicken, fish. Lots of burgers. No/little milk. No PB. He recommends a couple of salads for your carbs. No potoes, onions. Green beans and green peppers not bad in carbs. Its a burger to stay on. You can eat all the good stuff, but you'll want to tear your hand off for a glass of milk. Did it once. Also hard to eat in public, so do it when your not going anywhere for awhile.

N4cer
01-21-2003, 03:08 PM
For peanut butter (I'm not on the Atkins, but I AM cutting) I will eat a tsp. of NATURAL PEANUT BUTTER.
Ingredients: Peanuts, salt.

Paul Stagg
01-22-2003, 07:57 AM
Atkins isn't really the way to go if you are a lifter - I'd suggest you look into modified keto diets like the CKD or TKD

Berserker
01-22-2003, 10:34 AM
He's right, energy level suck on it.
Paul, what do you think about doing it say 10 blocks once a month or so? I only need to lose 7-10. I did atkins when I wasn't lifting lost about 7 lbs and weighted arounb 150. I've though about doing it, suffering 7-10 days and then doing it again a month or 2. Don't know how the body would react to it the 2nd time. Also some of its probably only water.
I been thinking about TKD. I don't really like ckd cause of the change in lifting schedule. But the carb day would be nice. Maybe if I am busy with work, and not able to lift.

Paul Stagg
01-22-2003, 10:46 AM
Doing it short term doesn't make any more sence than doing any other diet for a week.

if you want to do a keto diet, I'd suggest a TKD - same reasons, I liked that I could keep my workout schedule.. I also feared that the carb up would become a binge.

GoldenBoy
01-22-2003, 02:18 PM
Berserker: thanks for the overview, u mean burgers like just the meat and cheese right?? (no bread!) thats where the Ghetto Burger comes in! About salads, is Lettuce + Tomatoes + Lemon Juice + Salt ok?? i dont do dressings well, lemon or vinegar i prefer..

Paul Stagg: im working on lifting again and getting in shape by dropping fat, i lifted before but not to be huge... just as part of my boxing routine... ill probably be on the diet for a while and i will be doing a pull/push/leg (mon-wed-fri) and running tues-thur... im researching the TKD and it seems like its the overall better liked and healthier for a lifting lifestyle... agreed?

i figure ive been eating like a slob, drinking like a fish and smoking like a chimney for the better part of my life i owe it to myself to be good for a bit and keep it up...

another thing where can i get info on a TKD?? i have a few CKD links but cant find much besides the article on CDKD v TKD on WannaBeBig.com...

all help is greatly appreciated you guys really informed me!

- GB

Paul Stagg
01-22-2003, 03:26 PM
A TKD is pretty simple.

Eat less than 20g of carbs per day. Eat your bodyweight in protein, the rest fat.

On training days, eat about 50grams of carbs (NOT fructose) right around your training. I used to eat Smarties candy about 20-30 minutes before training. Immediately after training, down 20-30g of protein (whey is good, but not required.) About an hour or so later, have a regular keto meal

As you see how you react, you can increase the daily carbs from 20g, but I rarely did that.