PDA

View Full Version : Newbie wondering if anybody could spare some simple advice

Standard Hero
01-20-2003, 12:43 PM
Hi,

This is my first post on what appears to be an excellent resource for all things bodybuilding. I was wondering if any of the forum regulars would be able to give me some advice in regards to my training and what I should do to further my body building.

Now i have read alot of the stuff on the main site and forums but alot of it is in BB terms and I don't really understand it. I will try my best to listen and follow your advice if you can spare the time to help me. I just need to be able to understand it.

My workouts are as such

Monday - Shoulders/Bicep
3 sets x Shoulder Rasies
3 sets x Pull Ups
3 sets x Shrugs
3 sets x Shoulder Press

3 sets x Bicep Curl (preacher bench)
3 sets x Bicep Curl (free standing)
3 sets x Alternate curls

Thursday - Back/Bicep

3 sets x Seated Rows
3 sets x Inclinded Rows
3 sets x Bend over Pull Ups (single arm)
3 sets x Lat Pull downs

3 sets x Bicep Curl (preacher bench)
3 sets x Bicep Curl (free standing)
3 sets x Alternate curls

Tuesday & Friday - Chest Tricep

Bench Press

3 sets x Pec Deck
3 sets x Inclined Dumbell Press

3 sets x Tricep Extentions
3 sets x Tricep Pulldowns
3 sets x Kneeling Tricep Extentions (kickbacks?)

I have stop doing a dedicated ab work as I got up to 500 rasied crunches a day and did feel it any more and wasn't sure what to do. I don't do any set cardio because when I am not injured I run alot as I am a pro-wrestler and get quite alot of cardio when training.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Diet is very poor, but this is mainly because I am unsure what to eat and tend to be a fussy eater a typical day for me (today for example)

Morning

Ham Sandwich
Bannana

Lunch

Tomato Soup

Dinner

3 x Pork
Peas
Chips

Late

Ham Sandwich

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Stats are

Age 24
Weight 168-175 lbs
Height 5'8
Chest 41 inch
Arms 14 inch
Waist 32 inch

Body Fat Percentage 17% (although this was done by the "navy" way and consisted of measuring different parts of the body to gain a body fat percentage)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My aim is to become slightly bigger but really I would like to get seriously cut and I really want to gain some sort of ab definition and if possible a 6 pac - which i am sure is most peoples goal :)

this is my picture - http://www.bbonlinef.ie.nu/FWAtraining/markbiopic.jpg

Fluid
01-21-2003, 01:07 PM
Your caloric intake is very low.

_-_v_-_
01-21-2003, 01:30 PM
And your routine needs quite a bit of work.

raniali
01-21-2003, 02:34 PM
you are overworking your biceps (and possibly triceps) and i don't see ANY leg exercises at all (*shame*shame*). i am unsure why you include pullups in your shoulder routine as it mainly works back and/or biceps depending on your grip. i could make many other suggestions about your training routine...but i think it would be safe to suggest that you start off with the WBB routines that are listed. it is also probably time for you to switch your routine anyways.

yes - u r eating too little. and what u r eating is not ideal for a bb. more and better protein. more and better fats. better carbs.
and maybe another meal somewhere in there as well. don't forget the post-workout drink of carbs/protein.

as we have stated before in the other threads you have started ... do a search for both training and diet. there are sooo many posts of good diets broken down and training routines for beginners. if you don't understand some of the bb terms or things said in other posts ... just ask. but it is hard to give you advice when you don't have any concrete questions and seem to read very little of what is already posted here. i am concerned though , that if you are a professional wrestler and train frequently, why your coaches, trainers or other wrestlers are not giving you advice and helping you reach your sport's goals...?

however - i must give you credit - you stopped the daily abdominal insanity. now if you could only break the banana habit.

**(if this isn't the guy with numerous alibis and threads...sorry)**

Standard Hero
01-21-2003, 04:01 PM
Hi Thanks for the advice, I am not the guy who keeps asking all the other stuff as i did read some of his threads :)

The pullups i mention for shoulders is like...an overhand grip on a barbell and pull them from waist upto the chin.

I have been on an off the protien shakes i just find it hard to keep from de-hydrating.

As for legs, i tend not work legs as they get a fair amount of work when i am training

You say about the wrestling, thats the thing, I am the coach (i am cruiserweight) and if you wanted to know anything about wrestling that I can tell you, but bodybuilding my knowledge is rather limited.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my message.

bradley
01-21-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Standard Hero
The pullups i mention for shoulders is like...an overhand grip on a barbell and pull them from waist upto the chin.

I have been on an off the protien shakes i just find it hard to keep from de-hydrating.

As for legs, i tend not work legs as they get a fair amount of work when i am training

the "pullup" you are referring to sounds like an upright row

if you find yourself getting dehyfrated then you need to consume more water...a good starting place would be about a gallon a day and probably more depending on the amount of physical activity you do

train legs...this will help you in reaching your goals as far as bb

raniali
01-21-2003, 04:33 PM
ok - my apologies (*sticks foot in mouth*)

train legs
try a training program already outlined in someone's journal or the wbb routines
eat more !! as contrary to your goals of fat loss as this may seem, undereating only shuts your body down and makes fat loss virtually impossible (when is the last time you saw an anorexic with a 6-pack). i would increase cals to about 12*bw or thereabouts -- mainly adding more protein and good fats. and *maybe* add some cardio -- just a little. but that is up to you. if i had to choose between cardio and training legs ---> TRAIN LEGS!

The Icon27
01-23-2003, 08:30 PM
Allright stud your a beginner so stick with the basics at all times.

The biggest change you can make is to up your calories and eating a lot more protein...basically include some type of meat everytime you eat. Like in the morning you have a ham sandwich try doubling the amount of ham or drink 2 cups of skim milk with it. It will give you some more quality protein. And I see that all you ate for lunch was tomato soup...that basically means you went from breakfast to dinner with zero protein...your muscles are starving dog.

And as a beginner you want to stick with the big lifts. I saw that on your shoulder day you don't do shoulder press until last when your the most tired! Do this first this is the foundation for building shoulders and a quality mass builder. And the same for chest, I see you start with bench which is great but then you do pec-dec before incline...get your power compound moves (presses) in first then move to your finesse (flies/pec-dec/lat raises/etc.) moves. Power then finesse. Just like with the ladies!

And yes do legs, it will make you entire body stronger not just your legs as well as increase testosterone naturally and increase metabolism because if you aren't working your quads and hams then those are the biggest muscles on your body getting no work. You don't need to be a squataholic but do your chores once a week, but we all understand legs suck. But I never did them either because they were always naturally big for me but I jumped in body-weight from 230 to 250 in a few months of leg training, it just makes you so much stronger.

But regardless of your training you need to get adequate nutrition to build them muscles.

Good luck and get swole!

Standard Hero
01-27-2003, 07:01 AM
Thanks for the advice guys, my work out wasn't in order of what I do , sorry, I am thinking of adding a 6th day with abs and legs. I was wondering a few people you won't get a decent ab show if you body fat percentage is higher than 10% does anybody know if that is true as i am currently at 18%

I have started back on 4 protien shakes a day and the drinking of water is helping.

Thanks again for the advice.

bradley
01-27-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Standard Hero
I was wondering a few people you won't get a decent ab show if you body fat percentage is higher than 10% does anybody know if that is true as i am currently at 18%

This would depend on the individual.

Berserker
01-27-2003, 08:53 PM
4 protein shakes a day may be a bit much, not bad nesecarly. I would add more quality food. I don't anything unless it has parents. JK. Milk is great way to bump protein. Cottage cheese, tuna, chicken, meat.
Not sure what the cut off point is for abs and bf, but I have heard 10%. Get yours checked at a gym or doctor, if you can.
Take a look at the WBB routines. People are right about legs, they may get alot of light training but weights will make them bigger and stronger. The problem is finding rest time for them with your schedule. Just my thoughts

prof
01-28-2003, 08:16 AM
heres what I do, not saying it's perfect but it has worked quite well

squat 3x8
straight leg deadlift (sldl) 3x8
calf raise 3x10

ab crunch (weighted)

rest/cardio

bench 3x8 (dumbells)
shoulderpress 3x8 (dumbells)
tricep pushdowns 3x8
dips, (to failure)