PDA

View Full Version : Check this bulking diet! Suggest!

-=Jd=-
01-21-2003, 06:28 PM
Hello again, well i want you to check this diet and tell me what do you think, im looking for a bulking diet ill start on february, if theres anything bad, dont Doubt to tell me, and if anything is missing same thing, also if you think you can throw me a best diet just post, ill be happily recieving it! thanks!

heres the link:
http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magazine/get_big_diet_by_jacob_wilson.htm

Tiare
01-21-2003, 08:42 PM
Before going on a bulking diet like that, I'd check it vs. your own weight. That might be a great diet for someone 250lbs but a horrible diet for someone 200lbs.

When people say 3500 calories per pound, remember that's per pound of fat. A pound of muscle is a much higher percentage of water (more than 60%) and carries many fewer calories per pound of dry weight.

Basically, to gain a pound of lean body weight (if all you gained was muscle) it would take about 100gm of protein (which is effectively 20gm per day for 5 days). Of course, you have to consider also that you burn energy to build that muscle but don't think 500cal/day per pound of muscle in a week. That 500 calories/day is for fat, not muscle.

That being said, diet looks good but I would add in about 2 cups of lettuce a day just for the fiber.

ChuckieT
01-22-2003, 12:48 AM
Just adding to the whole fiber deal, add in other veggies too, like spinach or broccoli. You'll find you'll get more fiber per serving of broccoli or spinach.

That bulking example doesn't offer much in terms of EFA consumption. Supplement with Fish Oil, or flax oil...or better yet actual flax seeds. That way you get your omega-3's AND increase your fiber intake. :)

bradley
01-22-2003, 02:35 AM
I would go add in more fat. I came up with 13% fat in the sample diet they mentioned which is too low IMO. I would say more along the lines of 25-30%. Also what are your stats? I would start out gradually increasing cals, and see what kind of weight gain occurs.

-=Jd=-
01-22-2003, 12:30 PM
well, i cant give stats right now, cuz ill enter gym on february 1st, and i dont have the measure equip, but i can post pics if you want.
also see this diet, bout the same autor, tell me wich one you think its better:
http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magazine/customizable_bulking_diet.htm

bradley
01-22-2003, 04:13 PM
Why not just make your own diet? Everybody will reesponds differently to different macro ratios so I would suggest tinkering with your diet until you find something that works for you. I would start by slowly increasing cals each week until you are gaining approx 1lb. per week. Here are some general guidelines that might help and search through the journals section because some people post there diets along with their training,

-1g protein per lb. of bw
-25-30% of cals from fat; make sure some of this is from EFA's
-rest of cals from low GI carbs (except post workout high GI would be ideal then)

good protein sources:
chicken, lean beef, dairy, eggs, fish

some low GI carbs sources:
oats, sweet potatoes, veggies, lentils, brown rice, ww bread

These are many others, I just listed a few so you could get the general idea.