PDA

View Full Version : Help putting together a good cutting diet?

NotSoBig
01-21-2003, 10:06 PM
I am looking to put together a good cutting diet and was hoping I could get some feedback from others. I know nothing when it comes to diet other than mine must be screwed for me to look the way I do...

...anyway, I am wanting to lose a good 20-30 pounds (I think) because most of what I have now is fat. I need to get a caliper to figure out my exact body fat, but i'm sure its high.

Some facts about me:
21 years old
190 lbs
5' 10"

I work in construction, usually eat 2-3 meals a day and tend to pig out on weekends. Some foods I enjoy eating are chicken breasts, pastas, corn, potatos, and steaks. Its safe to say that you will never see a meal eaten by me, that doesn't include chicken or pasta. I have always been a real picky eater, and don't like many fruits / vegetables.

I am working out 1 hour a day on a total gym 1500. Its not the weight training I want to be doing, but until I get moved its all I have.

That is basically my life in a nutshell. I want to take this and make a good diet, and maximize my results with working out.

I hate to keep coming here asking for someone to figure all of this out for me, but the more I read, the more confused I become. I just want to know what, when, and how to eat, and the same for excercising. Every place I look, seems to have a different opinion though.

Anyway.... sorry for the ramble, just trying to give as much info as possible.

Thanks in advance

bradley
01-22-2003, 02:46 AM
First you have to find a daily calorie intake that will allow you to lose approx. a pound a week. Might start out at 12*bw and increase or decrease your cals until you are losing approx a pound a week. 12*bw is usually used as a rough estimate to find caloric intake while cutting.

Get at least one gram per lb. of bw in protein, and also let 25-30% of you daily calories from fat (preferably from EFA's). The rest of your daily calories can come from good low GI carbs which would include things like oats, sweet potatoes, beans, ww pasta, veggies, etc. I know you said that you didn't like fruits and veggies but there has to be at least one that you like. Maybe a salad or something like that because veggies are a good source of fiber along with other nutrients.

Spread your meals about 2-3 hours apart which usually means eating 5-6 smaller meals per day. Hope this helps somewhat.

PaulB
01-22-2003, 12:21 PM
im in the same boat with NotsoBig. almost the same stats. i have absolutely no idea what i should be eating, even after i looked in the diet nutrition section. please list some stuff i should eat, i lift weights 3 times a week and cardio 4 days a week. im hoping to continue my 1lb a day of weightloss all the way down till 140lbs. (currently 180)

NotSoBig
01-22-2003, 12:44 PM
Bradley: Thanks for the info bro. Very helpful.

PaulB: You are better off than me bud. At least you have some set excercise routine down lol. I am doing basic excercising on a lame ass total gym 1500 and cant wait to hit the free weights. I also need to find some form of cardio to do, but its 0 defrees here right now, and running is about my only option until I get moved. I need to figure out what to eat too... the more I read, the more confused I become. It just seems that every time I read something, I find something later than conflicts with what I just read.

:help:

Moose
01-22-2003, 01:11 PM
Keep it simple (at least at first). Basic principles. Multiply your bodyweight by 12 to find out about how many calories you should shoot for. Take in 1 gram of protein for every pound of bodyweight. Fill the rest in with good carbs and good fats until you reach your calorie goal. Go with 5-6 meals per day. Get some protein, carbs, and fats into each meal.

Protein foods = Chicken, Turkey, Steak, Fish, etc.....

Good Carb foods = Brown Rice, Beans, Sweet Potatoes, Oatmeal, Veggies, Fruits, Whole Wheat Bread, etc......

Good Fats = Flax seeds or oil, Natrual Peanut Butter, Olive Oil, etc.....

Again, keep it simple. If you take in less calories than you burn....you will lose weight. Focus on that first....before you start nit-picking. Eat good clean foods.....track your calories.....train....rest.