PDA

View Full Version : cardio and compound exercises

Ruthless
01-22-2003, 02:40 PM
is there any truth to this statement, i have read here that if you want to grow you have to cut down on cardio, but say i want to also increase my lifts, so wat do you think.

" Don't ignore cardio. Cardio increases your overall cardiovascular condition, which is crucial in compound exercises such as squats and deadlifts. If your lungs can't process enough air, you'll be exhausted by oxygen depletion, not muscular failure, by the end of your set. Try to get at least 2-3 cardio sessions per week. "

Tiare
01-22-2003, 02:46 PM
Cardio and growth are not mutually exclusive IMO. You can grow muscle and do cardio work at the same time, you just have to eat enough to compensate for the increased metabolism from cardio.

ElPietro
01-22-2003, 02:54 PM
Most strength or power movements are getting energy from glucolytic (sp?) processes, not oxidative ones. If you were doing like light sets of 30-50 rep squats, then you would be relying much more on oxidative properties, otherwise, it does not play a very large role.

Paul Stagg
01-22-2003, 03:21 PM
This statement:

" Don't ignore cardio. Cardio increases your overall cardiovascular condition, which is crucial in compound exercises such as squats and deadlifts. If your lungs can't process enough air, you'll be exhausted by oxygen depletion, not muscular failure, by the end of your set. Try to get at least 2-3 cardio sessions per week. "

Contains a little truth, and a little not truth.

Cardio is good for you.

The idea that you'll be exhaused due to oxygen depletion rather than muscular failure depends on the length of the set. In most cases, oxygen depletion won't be the limiting factor.

Ruthless
01-23-2003, 04:12 AM
thankx a lot guys, thats made it clear to me now. thanx

IceRgrrl
01-23-2003, 09:01 AM
How about doing your cardio on your days off from lifting? That helps to keep the two from interfering with each other.

And though lots of folks are anti-cardio, if you have a heart and lungs, it's not a bad idea to exercise them in the interests of a long, healthy life. Plus, if you ever have to run away/after someone, you'll be in good shape to do it ;)

PowerManDL
01-23-2003, 09:19 AM
CV condition can play a role however.

Try to do deadlifts for three sets of 10 with one minute rests and see if you're not breathing hard.

However with that in mind.....cardio 2-3x a week doesn't necessarily mean 45 minutes on the hamster wheel.