PDA

View Full Version : Pasta

SM-2
01-23-2003, 02:21 PM
Is it any good to eat pasta while on a cutting diet. This is my first time cutting and I was just wondering....

raniali
01-23-2003, 02:30 PM
no

but that's just my $0.02

ericg
01-23-2003, 02:32 PM
oats and sweet potato/yams !!

Tiare
01-23-2003, 02:46 PM
Pasta is good.

AstronautJones
01-23-2003, 03:13 PM
Pasta would be good for a bulk due to the large amount of complex carbs. On a cut, I wouldn't eat it quite as often. JMO.

SM-2
01-23-2003, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the help everyone....
So then I take it that it's ok once in awhile.....

AstronautJones
01-23-2003, 06:06 PM
Yeah, once in a while on a cut would be fine.

AJ_11
01-24-2003, 09:01 AM
It really doesn't matter, It all depends on how much you are eating. Certain people are better with carbs than others but if you eat within you daily caloric needs you should be fine. Man you could eat pizza and still have a successful cut.

I love pasta and the only difference when I am on a cut is that I eat a little less than usual.

GuitarPlayer
01-24-2003, 09:27 AM
if you ever see whole wheat pasta, or even better soy flour pasta, that is more than good. soy pasta is like 22g protein 25g carb and very low in fat. it tastes great as well. you can find it in most specialty health food/organic food stores.

hemants
01-24-2003, 10:44 AM
I had plenty of pasta on my last cut and it was still successful.

Just watch your serving sizes and try to have a fist full instead of a plate full.

I suspect that if you were going into a contest or trying to get to single digit body fat then you may have to be extra careful. (I dunno, I haven't been single digit since my early 20's LOL)

GIS
01-24-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by GuitarPlayer
soy pasta is like 22g

It is best to not count incomplete protein sources in your daily protein totals. Soy won't harm you, but it is an incomplete source so it will not have the same tissue building properties as meats, casein, whey, or eggs.

As for your question, a little pasta would be okay. Having 4 oz during your dinner that is otherwise reletively low in carbs wont kill you. Remember, unless you're doing an extreme KETO diet, you still need SOME carbs so don't run away from everything that contains them.

Oh, and GuitarPlayer had a good reccomondation about the whole wheat pasta. Nutritionally it would be better than the regular noodles, but it isn't any lower in carbs.

SM-2
01-24-2003, 11:48 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I haven't been here very long, but this is a great forum and everybody has been very helpful....
Thanks again.....

GIS
01-24-2003, 02:31 PM
On a side note with the whole complete protein thing, a food that is said to not be a complete protein source doesn't have a complete amino acid profile (building blocks of protein). There is nothing wrong with the protein in your pasta, but you need to combine it with another food that has the missing amino acids in order to make it complete. The following combinations can achieve this:

Legumes + seeds
Legumes + nuts
Legumes + dairy
Grains + legumes
Grains + dairy

I just count what I eat in meat, egg, casein, and whey and consider anything else as 'extra'. So if you want 1x your bodyweight in protein, I'd just reccomend aiming to get that from these sources. Chances are your protein count will be higher than that because of the combination of incompletes, but that wont hurt you and it's better to estimate low.

Shao-LiN
01-26-2003, 08:28 AM
Plenty of complex carbs? Don't eat as much. You can eat pasta just fine...how much is the question.