PDA

View Full Version : Trying to understand, please bear with me.

NotSoBig
01-24-2003, 04:24 PM
I am working on a cutting diet for myself and my fiancee. I am trying to understand this though.

You have to burn more calories than you take in to lose weight? Is this correct?

You should take in 12* your bodyweight in calories, is this correct?

With these 2 factors in mind, I am having a hard time understanding how to burn the body fat. For myself, I don't think it will be real hard because I am trying to do cardio 3 x a day and I work in construction so I keep myself busy all day. My fiancee on the other hand, works in an office and only walks 3 miles a day.

So if my fiancee is 190 pounds, she is supposed to be taking in 2280 calories in a day. According to the teadmill, the 3 miles of walking only burns 300 calories. So what am I missing here? How many calories does the human body burn normally in a given day? She does very little physical work (mostly computer related)

Thanks in advance for the help. I am really getting confused about all of this.

NateDogg
01-24-2003, 04:31 PM
Everyone is ALWAYS burning calories. You burn them when you sleep, eat, take a leak, just stand there, just sit there, etc.

Question 1. Correct.

Question 2. Try it, it may be too many calories, it may be too few. If she's losing weight, it's not too many. If she's not losing weight, it may be too many.

Of course if you can get her to start lifting, or even with light jogging, she may be able to put on *very little* muscle and therefore it may seem like she is not losing weight, but she is losing fat and gaining muscle. That would not last long though (if only walking) as you need to provide progressive resistance (not provided by running) in order to keep gaining muscle.

bradley
01-24-2003, 04:36 PM
12*bw is a general guideline used when trying to figure out daily caloric intake on a cut. I would think that for a female this would be too high. As far as your diet you might need to adjust up or down to get the desired weight loss, which IMO is about a pound a week. You are right when you say you have to burn more cals than you take in. I would not concentrate too much on what the treadmill says as far as calories burned. You burn most calories through everyday bodily functions which is called your basal metabolic rate (BMR).

I think that for a female 10*bw is what is recommended but not for sure. Again this would be just a guideline and everyone is different so adjustments will have to be made. Is your wife currently lifting weights? If not I would get her to performing some type of training program to go along with the cardio she is performing.

NotSoBig
01-24-2003, 04:39 PM
So in a cutting diet, what is the point of taking in large amounts of calories? Why not just take in say 500 calories, and if you burn 1500 you are losing a lot of weight... right?

I am sure there is a flaw in my logic lol. Sounds too good to be true.

Are you saying it would be best for her to work on toning some muscle also, or should she stick to the cardio? As for me, I am trying to keep what muscle I have , add on some more, and lose weight at the same time. I am working out 5 nights a week, and doing the treadmill 3 times a day every day. Will this work for what I am trying to achieve?

Thanks

Berserker
01-24-2003, 04:42 PM
Don't want to lose to much to fast. Think about the 3 miles a day, 300 cals*7=2100 calls. Over 1/2 lb a week just from that. Plus cutting out a little cals, gets you to a 1lb a week.

NotSoBig
01-24-2003, 04:46 PM
Bradley: Thanks for the info. She is also doing some weight training with me a few times a week. I thought this would be best for her, but wasn't sure.

Berserker: Thanks. I read a post from one member where he said he was losing 1 lb per day. It sounded unrealitic to me, but at the same time I was hoping to lose at that rate. Whats the best method to shed the pounds quickly and safely?

Thanks for the help so far. Im learning alot.

raniali
01-24-2003, 04:56 PM
eating too few calories will actually shut your bodies fat burning off ... when is the last time you saw an anorexic with a tight, firm body and 6-pack??

you need to eat *slightly* below your maintenance ... or eat maintenance and do a lot of cardio to create a calorie deficit.

whatever you do, weight training is vital for overall health and improvement!!

NotSoBig
01-24-2003, 05:03 PM
I wish I knew what my "maintenance" is. I have never kept track of my diet in this way.

Sure wish someone could spell it out for me lol. Me and my fiancee both weigh 190 lbs. We have both lived on mostly fast food for the last 2 years. Before that I was in real good shape.

I am doing cardio 3 times a day, for 15 mins, and working out for 1 hour 5 nights a week now. Id like to lose 30 lbs or so (i think) and maintain the muscle that I have.

I just need to figure all of this out. protein, calories, cardio, workout, ahhhhhh! What is the formula for success lol

So confused :(

raniali
01-24-2003, 05:39 PM
i've been training for many many moons ... and i am still confused myself sometimes. i'm still waiting for someone to hand me the holy grail of bb.

using the basic 12* and 10*bw as starting points is a good idea. keep a journal; keep track of what and when you are eating along with training....after a week or two, determine if anything is happening and make adjustments accordingly.

Paul Stagg
01-24-2003, 08:12 PM
You'll figure out your maintenance level within a few weeks of keeping track of what you eat.

It will change, too.

12 x BW is a good place to start for a fairly active person, or a person who is weight training. For someone fairly sedentary who doesnt lift, I'd start at 10x bw.

I'd also have them start lifting.

My *general* formula for success:

12x bw cals

protein = BW X grams
Carbs = BW x grams
Fat = the rest.

cardio 3 times a week, for 20-30 minutes at a decent clip. One HIIT session per week

Lift 3-4 days a week.

Adjust as your needs or desires warrant. For example, if you like HIIT, do more of it, and less other cardio. If you prefer less carbs, eat less carbs.

bradley
01-25-2003, 04:23 AM
I agree with Mr. Stagg in that you should probably cut your lifting days down to 3-4. Have you checked out the WBB routines? That would be a good starting point IMO.

NotSoBig
02-02-2003, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I am now doing the wbb1 routine, and trying my best to take in the protein. You can see my progress in my journal or with the threads i have posted recently.