PDA

View Full Version : Oatmeal questions

Raj
01-24-2003, 09:22 PM
A couple of questions to the oatmeal experts.

1. Oats are low GI right? For a change I plan to eat white oats instead of my brown rice.
2. The instructions on the tin says that 240 gms. of white oats should be mixed with 2 cups of water and 1/4 tsp. salt and boiled ,stirred and cooked for 10 mins. Says serve with sugar and milk or cream. Now this is something I dont want to do as I'm on a modified NHE diet. Is it eatable without sugar and milk or cream?
3. The nutrition label says 320 gms. of white oats consists of 200g of carbs, 46.8gms of protein and 29gms of fats. Is this correct? The reason I'm asking this is because the manufacturer is new to the market.

Looking forward to your replies.

Thanks

Raj

AJ_11
01-25-2003, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by Raj

1. Oats are low GI right? For a change I plan to eat white oats instead of my brown rice.

**Depends on what kind they are but yes they are usually low.

2. The instructions on the tin says that 240 gms. of white oats should be mixed with 2 cups of water and 1/4 tsp. salt and boiled ,stirred and cooked for 10 mins. Says serve with sugar and milk or cream. Now this is something I dont want to do as I'm on a modified NHE diet. Is it eatable without sugar and milk or cream?

**I put milk in mine with some whey, but it tastes awesome without it either. Don't worry about the suger, you don't need it. SOme people think it is a little dry but those people have to put a tonne of mayonaisse with their tuna as well.

3. The nutrition label says 320 gms. of white oats consists of 200g of carbs, 46.8gms of protein and 29gms of fats. Is this correct? The reason I'm asking this is because the manufacturer is new to the market.

**I usually cook it with a 1:1 ratio for about 10 mins. Usually a cup of mil to a cup of oats which is about 60grams of carbs. Look at the serving size and then divide it my how much you want to eat.

Looking forward to your replies.

Thanks

Raj

bradley
01-25-2003, 04:17 AM
I make mine with water all the time, and add a little artificial sweetner to taste. I am assuming this is a carb up meal so a little sugar or honey wouldn't hurt anything. Just curious as to how you modified the NHE diet?

Raj
01-25-2003, 04:35 AM
bradley,

PM my diet guru, Rob a.k.a The_Chicken_Daddy he will be able to put it correctly to you. He recommended I do this and there has been no looking back for me ever since :)

Raj

HANSEL
01-25-2003, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by bradley
I make mine with water all the time, and add a little artificial sweetner to taste. I am assuming this is a carb up meal so a little sugar or honey wouldn't hurt anything. Just curious as to how you modified the NHE diet?

I concur with bradley, I cook my Oats with water, then throw a packet of splenda in per 40 Grams (dry).

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-25-2003, 11:58 AM
The carb loads are spaced out a little more, that's all.

I actually eat my oats uncooked with a bit of water in them. I can't be bothered with cooking in all honesty.

bradley
01-25-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
The carb loads are spaced out a little more, that's all.

I actually eat my oats uncooked with a bit of water in them. I can't be bothered with cooking in all honesty.

TCD how far apart do the carb loads go? I believe it was every 3rd and 4th day on the original NHE eating program, and does the amount of the carb load and the timing (last one or two meals of the day) stay the same? Thanks.

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-25-2003, 02:59 PM
Well, preuly because Raj's bf% was so high i told him to space the carb loads out to 5-6 days apart for now so he has more lower calorie days.

Once he gets closer to 18% he'll move them closer and when he's around 15% he'll do the conventional diet with every 3rd and 4th day.

And yeah, the carb timings are the same. a few hours before bed.

I think he takes in around 200g carbs for the load.

AJ_11
01-25-2003, 03:05 PM
TCD,

Can you post some more details on this diet. It is the first I have ever heard of it. What type of results are you seeing from it.

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-25-2003, 03:10 PM
Just do a bit of a search on 'NHE' or 'Natural Hormonal Enhancement'.

I'm not currently doing it, but when i did it was good.

Raj is having some good results with it too. Ask him.

bradley
01-25-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by AJ_11
TCD,

Can you post some more details on this diet. It is the first I have ever heard of it. What type of results are you seeing from it.

AJ_11 I would recommend you read the book as it is full of valuable nutrition information. Even if you never follow the diet I feel it provides a good overall knowledge of nutrition and hormones. The author of the book is Rob Faigen (sp?).

hybridtj
01-28-2003, 07:44 AM
I eat oatmeal every day for breakfast. 2 cup of water and 1.5 cups of old fashioned oats. Cook for 5 minutes.
Best place to buy oatmeal that I have found is bulkfoods.com. It's awesome. They send a 50 pound sack of oats UPS. Looks like your feeding a horse. Good conversation piece. I also get brown rice from them 50 lbs at a time. I have noticed that they have whey isolate as well. Next time I order, I am going to get some of that too and try and formulate my own recovery drinks.

jive
02-09-2003, 02:55 PM
Are there any benefits from eating cooked oatmeal instead of raw, or vice versa?

Does anyone eat oatmeal like cereal, with just milk?

Buff
02-09-2003, 05:23 PM
I take a cup of oats. and a cup and a half of water, nuke it for 2 minutes, maybe more if you microwave is low power, then throw in some I can't believe it's not butter (not bad for you at all, it's vegetable fat) and some brown sugar, so my brain doesn't pop and walla you grubin it down!

Buff

bradley
02-10-2003, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by jive
Are there any benefits from eating cooked oatmeal instead of raw, or vice versa?

Does anyone eat oatmeal like cereal, with just milk?

It is just easier to eat more oats when they are dry. I use water but I have used milk before.

WaterWalker
02-10-2003, 11:44 AM
If you are going for taste, I eat 1/2 cup of oats in the morning mixed w/ 2 Tbsp. of Natty P.B. It is delicious!I am not familiar with this diet. If you are just going for carbs. I would leave out the P.B.

jive
02-10-2003, 07:35 PM
wtf is natty peanut butter, when u guys say that do u mean nutty peanut butter? sorry but i been reading threads and i have no clue why :p

NotSoBig
02-10-2003, 07:51 PM
Natty = Natural :)

bradley
02-11-2003, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by jive
wtf is natty peanut butter, when u guys say that do u mean nutty peanut butter? sorry but i been reading threads and i have no clue why :p

It is Natural Peanut Butter. Has no added trans fats or any other preservatives. The only thing on the ingredients will be peanuts and salt.

aka23
02-11-2003, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by Raj

There is a wide variety of GI values for oats because of the wide variety in cooking and measuring methods methods, and there are different types of oats. Some are more than brown rice (GI~=80), most are less. Quick cooking rolled oats is often placed at about 80 (very close to brown rice), while oatmeal is often placed near 70. One weight lifting magazine placed brown rice at 66 and oatmeal at 54. I would not call any of these values low GI. I suppose it is on the lower side of common grains.

2. The instructions on the tin says that 240 gms. of white oats should be mixed with 2 cups of water and 1/4 tsp. salt and boiled ,stirred and cooked for 10 mins. Says serve with sugar and milk or cream. Now this is something I dont want to do as I'm on a modified NHE diet. Is it eatable without sugar and milk or

I prefer oats without sugar or milk. I prepare oats as follows either:
-- 1.5 oz quick oats (about 1/2 cup) , 1 cup water , 2 min 40 seconds on 800 Watt Microwave
-- 2 oz quick oats , 1 1/3 cup water , 3 min on 800 Watt Microwave

I think the texture comes out better at the slow cooking 800 Watt level. On higher power microwaves, I reduce accordingly. For example run 1000 Watt at 80% power level.

I listed oat quantities in weight rather than size because different brands have different densities. For example 1.5 oz of Quaker is slightly more than 1/2 cup , while 1.5 oz of Vons is slightly less. The weight measure seem to produce the texture I like.

That is one huge serving size. The amount you listed would have about 1200 calories. However, the ratio of carbs/protein/fats looks about right.

Raj
02-11-2003, 07:01 AM
aka23,

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Raj
P.S> Btw, 320 gms was not the serving size, instead it was the weight of the whole tin.

ericg
02-11-2003, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
Just do a bit of a search on 'NHE' or 'Natural Hormonal Enhancement'.

I'm not currently doing it, but when i did it was good.

Raj is having some good results with it too. Ask him.

So clue us in Raj...