PDA

View Full Version : Why are carbs necessary for mass?

TiGeR AK
01-25-2003, 06:20 PM
this is my first post
are fats and proteins alone insufficient to get mass gains?

2 questions/comments...

why are carbs necessary?

i'm on a low carb diet rite now... and besides a small decrease in energy at times... i don't see why limiting carbs would prevent muscle gain. Fat is a more efficient source of energy when it's being burned, is it not? Isn't that why people get their "second wind"... their body is depleted of glycogen stores, and fat burning for fuel kicks in, resulting in the burst of new energy.

and also... if i want to carb up for workout days... should i increase the carbs ON workout days... or the day before?? or when should i increase the carb load without having it interfere too much with my cutting? you see, i want to cut up a bit, but i don't want to be depleted of energy, so i'm guessing i have to cut the carbs on off days, while carbing up on workout days... is this correct?

thanks for your help all.

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-25-2003, 06:27 PM
They're not absolutely necessary but you may find they help.

providing you're on a good amount of calories (i.e. in surplus) and you're getting a good deal of protein, then you can grow nicely. However, no doubt some/a lot of the protein you're intaking will be converted to sugars for energy use.

However, don't plan to grow too much on low carbs if you're cutting and in calorie deficit. In fact, don't plan to grow too much at all when cutting unless you're a new lifter or really fat.

or on drugs, of course.

And be sure to do a regular carb load about twice a week.

TiGeR AK
01-25-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy

And be sure to do a regular carb load about twice a week.

should this be ON workout days? or on off days?

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-25-2003, 07:16 PM
Your choice i suppose, but if you're low carbing at all other times, then arrange carb loads either around training sessions, or do them a few hours before bed (NHE style).

TiGeR AK
01-25-2003, 08:36 PM
thanks for the help!!