PDA

View Full Version : milk for protein?

aggablinky
01-26-2003, 12:48 AM
Hello, i`m wondering if anybody could help me with a small problem i have, involving protein intake. My issue is, i really dont like protein powders, or , should i say, they dont seem to like me :) I usually try and have 2 servings a day, mixed with low fat milk, and some honey to keep the taste bearable, only trouble is, i often feel gassy and unwell in the belly for several minutes after drinking it, so , i was wondering, would some regular servings of milk, perhaps an egg or 2 mixed in with it, be a good protein intake for my muscle? I also eat low fat yoghurt daily, and always have red or white meat for my dinner. I also have a vile of Royal Jelly daily, opinions on that stuff would be good too. Thankyou in advance
:)

Victor
01-26-2003, 03:02 AM
At first I thought you are Lactose Intolerant, but apparently you are OK when taking other diary products so that should not be the problem.

Mixing milk with eggs (which are cooked) ain't a bad idea, even though Protein Shakes are much more convinient. I'll advise you to keep on using the protein powder, furthermore you have already bought it.

Is this the very first protein powder you tried, and what brand is it? Chances are you still can't get use to it, and the grassy and unwell feelings are simply your mind playing tricks with you. Try not to think about it and continue drinking the protein shake, you should be able to get use to them. Protein powders with milk are usually quite decent tasting, you'll be damn to mix it with water as you're already disliking it in milk.

Oh, and low fat yogurt and those meat are good stuff.

Silverback
01-26-2003, 03:13 AM
Tough one, i think your best option would be to change powders try to find one with reduced lactose. Milk is fine for protein carbs are a little high though.

Best bet is lean meats i.e. chicken, beef, pork and tuna. And stick with eggs, milk etc...

Protein powder is not an essential, i only use it after a workout or when im really tight for time. Good luck m8 im glad i didnt have problems like that.

body
01-26-2003, 04:34 AM
milk if fine for protein.

GIS
01-26-2003, 12:48 PM
As big ron said, try a different powder. I tried Prolab's fuel plex and that stuff came out the other end in the same consistency and color as it went in. Usually meal replacement shakes and/or weight gainers result in gasteral upset, but you should be safe with regular protein powders (they have like 200 cal, 40g protein).

Try taking the shakes without milk and the honey. Honey is a natural laxative so I'm sure it isn't helping your bowel issues.

Podium Kreatin
01-26-2003, 12:59 PM
u'd have to drink a LOT of milk to get the proteinu'd get from a scoop of powder

it seems common for some ppl to have some gastrointestinal irritation at first, but i think u can get used to it. if not, try another brand

N4cer
01-26-2003, 10:28 PM
I had the same AWFUL gas at first. Had to just keep drinking it and firing the ass cannon until I got used to it. After about 3 weeks of steady use, my body adapted to it.

Another thing that helps me is using warm/hot water instead of milk. It sounds sick, but it REALLY DOES work.

The fat in the "low fat" milk will inhibit protein synthesis, supposedly. So that's a bad idea. Try the hot water. You have nothing to lose.

Ti1301
01-27-2003, 01:45 AM
The protein powder nastyness really depends on the brand and what you like.
For the longets time I drank straw berry banana and I hated it but I wasn't much a chocalate fan so I stuck with the straw banana.
Drinking protein was a pain and a chore for me, especailly since I was mixing with milk. (b4 I was lactose intolerent). Stuff was NASTY.
The I mixed with 1/2 milk and 1/2 water, it got better. Water seemed to make it better.
Then I discovered French Vivilla falvor, made it MUCH nicer.
Now I am doing supro banana flavor, Fantastic.
Don't feel lika a chore or a pain anymore.
just try another flavor and try water not milik.