PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys get so much Protein everyday?!?!



Focused
01-26-2003, 09:06 AM
I weigh about 170 and from what i underestand, i should be taking about 1 gram of protein per lb...

so thats about 170 grams a day! and when i was at gnc yesterday, i seen the protein formulas they had and most were abput 20g per serving..

so i figure i have to drink about 5 or 6 of those plus whatever i eat, so ill be all out of the formula by the end of the week!! thats far too expensive for me!

can someone fill me in on what regular foods packs a larage amout of protein so i dont have to spend like 40 dollars every two weeks on protein formula?

bradley
01-26-2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Focused
can someone fill me in on what regular foods packs a larage amout of protein so i dont have to spend like 40 dollars every two weeks on protein formula?

Get your protein from sources like chicken, fish, beef, eggs, dairy, etc. Once you spread your protein intake over 5-6 meals a day it really is not that much. Save the protein powder for post workout and one 5lb tub should last you for a while.

Mik
01-26-2003, 10:39 AM
:withstupi

Fluid
01-26-2003, 11:05 AM
EAT!

GIS
01-26-2003, 12:43 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Focused
[B]so thats about 170 grams a day! and when i was at gnc yesterday, i seen the protein formulas they had and most were abput 20g per serving..


Do a little more research into powders. I have one that is 40g per serving @ 200 calories and 6g of carbs... a good cutting powder.

There are also Meal replacement powders and weight gainers that have around 600 calories and 50-60g protein.

I get about 100-150g protein from whey powders and the other 200-150 from food.

celticwarrior
01-26-2003, 01:20 PM
Why not try Tuna?

Cheap and handy!

Focused
01-26-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by celticwarrior
Why not try Tuna?

Cheap and handy!

how much protein does that have?

i still have weight gainer too.that has alot of protein..but should i be taking that if im cutting?

Big J
01-26-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Focused


how much protein does that have?

i still have weight gainer too.that has alot of protein..but should i be taking that if im cutting?

All of the weight gainers I've seen are packed full of carbs - one I noticed had 10 times as many carbs as protein. If you're cutting, you might not wanna use the weight-gainers.

LouFerrignosEar
01-26-2003, 04:38 PM
Tuna is good for protein, but really boring to eat every day. I think a single can has something like 36 grams of protein in it with hardly any fat.

the doc
01-26-2003, 08:59 PM
the key is eating many protein meals per day

ebon00
01-27-2003, 01:49 AM
I eat four regular meals every day which are fairly balanced. Then I add 3-4 protein shakes to that to get the amount of protein needed. I buy a local brand of protein that's somewhat less expensive than say, Twinlab, but it works just fine.

Shao-LiN
01-27-2003, 01:57 AM
I eat 6 meals a day. I regularly get in 200+...not that hard, honestly. My protein consists of:

Eggs
Milk
Protein Shake (pre and post)
Chicken
Beef
Cottage Cheese

Ti1301
01-28-2003, 03:01 PM
There is real food too.
Take the serving and that will knock down 50 grams.
Then eat food and that will help take care of the rest.
Do protein bars too if you'd like

Calipso
01-28-2003, 03:40 PM
Well I've been browsing the forums for two months and you people have always been more than helpful. What I found is the easiest is this meal plan I use:

Breakfast: Cereal (Healthy ones like Total, Special K, Cheerios, Raisin Bran), A protein shake (If you don't want to have a bad taste this early in the morning go for good ol' OJ. (Slim or 1% milk for the cereal). If I'm still hungry I'll down a Pure Protein Bar.

Snack: Protein Drink or Pure Protein Bar

Lunch: Either Tuna Fish sandwich or Egg Salad sandwich. I don't go overboard with mayo because if you do your not helping yourself. Water and maybe a Protein Bar.

Snack: Protein shake or bar.

Dinner: If I had something other than tuna fish for lunch I'll have a big sandwich for dinner. Otherwise I go for Steak Tips, etc. Red meat is always helpful.

Snack before bed: Pure Protein bars or maybe a shake.

It's actually easy and not that expensive to maintain this. Never buy protein bars in stores or online sites. You'll be paying about $1-2 a bar! I got all mine on eBay (Reliable seller with good feedback) I paid $15 for 40 Pure Protein Chewy Choc bars, $20 for 40 Pure Protein Strawberry Cheesecake bars and $25 for 36 HUGE Pure Protein Strawberry Cheesecake bars. This is not all that expensive and these bars will last a while. I also got my Nitro-Tech strawberry on eBay 4oz for $30 then 10 for shipping. Saved about $30 retail (GNC is selling it for 50% off for $40-50)

eBay is not a bad place for people who need supplements, just make sure your seller is trustworthy before hand.

bradley
01-28-2003, 04:15 PM
I would say plain oatmeal instead of cereal. Some that you have listed such as Special K don't offer much in the way of nutrition. You must like those Pure Protein bars:)

AstronautJones
01-28-2003, 06:42 PM
I have a protein IV that I use. It seems to work pretty well. :p

Calipso
01-28-2003, 06:54 PM
Those protein bars only got like 19-22g for the small bars and 30-34g for the huge ones. They don't taste half bad. They are good and cheap if you need a quick snack or meal.

rookiebldr
01-28-2003, 08:40 PM
Cottage cheese is great for late night snacking just before bedtime. 1c of low fat is 28g protein, 2.3g fat and 8g of carbs.

Berserker
01-28-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by GIS
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Focused
[B]Do a little more research into powders. I have one that is 40g per serving @ 200 calories and 6g of carbs... a good cutting powder.


Its been my experience more grams of proteins is just a bigger serving. Something to keep in mind when buying.

But I know what you mean some days I have to push it to make sure you get enought. Tunas good 32 g a can. Lots of whole eggs for breakfast. Plus milk with everything, that add about 10gs a meal.

MrWebb78
01-29-2003, 04:05 PM
i wish i only had to eat 170 grams a day, if i dont have that by lunch im behind. im certainly not picking on you by any means. but if you eat 6 meals a day with 30 grams of protein, youll be set. there are alot of of quick cheap sources of protein. eggs are the best choice, in my opinion. tuna (but yes it definately gets boring, im on tuna strike now actually), even a protein bar to take with you if it will be awhile til you can get home to cook. roast beef sammich on wheat bread. anyways im not going list them all, but there are tons of options. save yer protein powder for only post workout

Ti1301
01-31-2003, 02:52 AM
I've been looking at ebay on the price of the bars.
It's not all good.
Some good, some bad.
There is a guy selling bars that have expired for over 1 year.
I would not touch that with a 10 ft pole, but people are bidding on it cause it's cheap.
Sure you can't beat 100 balance bars for about $10, but that is 1 year overdue. All the nutrition in them would be gone by now.
BTW you guys don't all take in that much powder protein and protein bars a day do you?
That to me is alot money to eat 3+ bars a day and powder.
I do one a day. One bar and One shot powder a day. I gotta make it last and use real food cause those supplements ain't cheap.

Tunas good 32 g a can. Lots of whole eggs for breakfast. Plus milk with everything, that add about 10gs a meal.

All the cans of tuna I look at say about 8 grams maybe 12 grams protein. Where do you get 32, unless I'm not paying attention to the rating of the serving size, but I think that 8 or 12 grams is the rating for the serving size of the can.

rookiebldr
01-31-2003, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by Ti1301
I've been looking at ebay on the price of the bars.
It's not all good.
Some good, some bad.
There is a guy selling bars that have expired for over 1 year.
I would not touch that with a 10 ft pole, but people are bidding on it cause it's cheap.
Sure you can't beat 100 balance bars for about $10, but that is 1 year overdue. All the nutrition in them would be gone by now.


Good idea to stay away, nutrition won't be gone but they may not be all that tasty. I would not risk it either.




Originally posted by Ti1301
BTW you guys don't all take in that much powder protein and protein bars a day do you?
That to me is alot money to eat 3+ bars a day and powder.
I do one a day. One bar and One shot powder a day. I gotta make it last and use real food cause those supplements ain't cheap.

No problem. Bars are handy but not necessary. Same with the powders throughout the day, except post-workout.


Originally posted by Ti1301
All the cans of tuna I look at say about 8 grams maybe 12 grams protein. Where do you get 32, unless I'm not paying attention to the rating of the serving size, but I think that 8 or 12 grams is the rating for the serving size of the can.

Could be a small can. My canned tuna is 184g net weight or 133g drained of it's water. As listed on the label, 100g is 25g protein and 1g of fat. The whole can then is about 33g protein and 1.3g of fat.