PDA

View Full Version : uproarious antics in the gym!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

carolinagirl
01-26-2003, 05:04 PM
Ok, Iím gonna start a journal. This post is gonna be really long b/c in order to get helpful feedback I suppose I have to tell you guys pretty much everything. (Plus, Iím naturally pretty chatty.) I would love any feedback, especially on my routines and my training split - I have been messing with the split for a while now and havenít got it to my satisfaction yet. I prefer a 4 day but I hate having a sissy day with, say, just biís and shoulders (which is sort of how it pans out now); I also hate having any other bodypart on leg day b/c it already lasts really long. So any suggestions are welcome.

I am 5'7" (did I get those marks right? Or did I just say that I am 7 feet, 5 inches tall?), weigh 156, about 21.5% bf by my best guess (last measured a little over a month ago @ 22.5; since then Iíve gained 2.5 lbs and leaned out a good deal in my upper body and abs.) (My hiney, however, is another story.) Iím pretty much of a mesomorph for a girl (with the obligatory dash of endomorph thrown in...see Ďhineyí, above) - my shoulders are pretty significantly wider than my hips and I build muscle relatively easily (so far. Knock on wood.)

One year ago I weighed 212. Boy, was I fat. Over the course of this year I have slowly lost -what, 56 lbs? (You do the math - Iím a liberal arts person.) I started off just walking, then running and doing some light (less than 15 lbs light) weights at home. I got back into the gym and doing heavy weights 5 or 6 months ago. (Luckily, in college I had trained for a couple of years with a competitive bber, and so I had some muscle memory to help me out. Another lucky legacy of the same period: I already had a healthy scorn for the pink weights and the nautilus machines.) I havenít really hit any serious plateaus in the fat loss yet, although thereíve been a couple of times that I took 2-4 weeks off dieting and went back to maintenance. I think I lucked into keeping my body out of starvation mode. I want to continue losing fat SLOWLY (brutally deceiving my endocrine system the whole time) so that I can see what areas I need to bring up; then I can start judiciously adding mass in carefully selected areas. (Iím already fairly muscular for a girl - I don't want you guys thinkin' I'm a weenie.) Overall I think that about 16% bf at about 150 would look pretty sweet, so thatís what Iím shooting for. Iím kicking around trying to compete in a bb show (1st time) this year - mainly to have some concrete goal to work towards (this would probably be at <12%, about 137 or so, by my extremely scientific calculations.) Hopefully I will have some pictures to post for feedback in the next couple of weeks.

Dietís been pretty much right-on for about 4 months now (I range between 2000 and 2300 kcal/day, usually pretty much isocaloric, if anything I usually err on the side of lower carbs; all carbs are low GI except postworkout, plenty of good fats, at least 6 meals a day, blah blah blah). Iím currently taking creatine (have been for a little more than a month; probably going to cycle off in another month. Go ahead and tell me I donít need to cycle it. Iím ready.) No other ďunusualĒ supps (despite the fact that doc caught me reading the anabolic forum! Canít a girl just look?!?) - just a whole assload of vitamins, protein, and flax oil (let me just interject here that this is hands-down the assiest ass-tasting **** I have EVER choked down my gullet, without exception. Ass ass ASS.)

Weights are usually 4 days/week in the gym, about an hour a day (I try hard not to go over an hour). I hate cardio machines anyway and I hate the girls that are usually on the cardio machines and I would ESPECIALLY hate it if somebody thought I WAS one of those girls, so I donít do cardio at the gym much. Sometimes I run with my dog but not nearly enough; us Southerners donít like doing stuff outside in the wintertime. Itís unnatural, and cold. I tell myself Iím saving cardio for when I reach a plateau in my cutting, but Iím really just waiting for spring. However, I have been consistently losing fat even without the cardio, so... yeah. Iím just gonna wait for spring.

Iíll go ahead and post my back workout from this Friday (1/24/03) so you have some idea where I am RIGHT NOW, then Iíll (blessedly) close and go watch the Superbowl.

1. Bent BB rows: 1x14 warmup with 50
1x12 60
2x8 70
2. SLDL: 1x8 warmup, bar only
1x10 115
1x8 125
3. Deads: 1x10 125
1x4 165
(Cleans: 1x12 with bar, just for fun and because they make the veins pop in my shoulder)
4. Assisted pullups: 1x6 70 lbs assist
1x3 55 lbs assist (these SUCK and I know it. I am such a girl.)
5. Rows (on HammerStrength machine using the widest/lowest grip) 2x10 45 lb on each side

I ran out of time today and couldnít do any abs; normally I do some ab thing at the end of each workout.

A couple of questions:
1. Grip work: I do mixed grip on deads and SLDL but I canít get anything over 115 without straps. What can I do to work on grip strength?
2. What is the best way for me to get to unassisted chins? (and naturally, after that, weighted BADASS chins.) Iím thinking of getting a chin bar for my house and doing negatives.

A gaggle of goals:
1. Squat over 200 by end of year
2. Bench bodyweight by end of year
3. Unassisted chins

Thanks for reading this (if you did) and commenting (if you do). If not, FINE. I didnít want your help anyway.
:D

_-_v_-_
01-26-2003, 05:08 PM
Glad to see you've started a journal!

1) Grip work: Static holds / plate pinches.

2) Pullups: Do slow negatives, followed by pulldowns, until such time as you can do one unassisted; then do one, followed by negatives; then two, etc... Repeat until a full set can be completed.

the doc
01-26-2003, 05:08 PM
Hooray!
:spam:

the doc
01-26-2003, 05:13 PM
flax oil is tasty ;)

you can static hold DBs, BBs, and from the chin bar also

why do you need a chin bar for yourhouse? Doesn't the gym have one?

Work in your chins on back day, at or near the start of your workout. Warm up with a few assited and then hit them hard on the negatives.
Follow up with some curl or parallel grip pulldowns

PowerManDL
01-26-2003, 05:42 PM
This chick's all right.

Frozenmoses
01-26-2003, 07:34 PM
Hey, good luck with the journal. Always good to have more females around WBB.

ectx
01-26-2003, 10:18 PM
Welcome...I bring you this journal warming gift of .....brace yourself....

:spam: Cookies

enjoy.

best of luck with your journal...I'll keep my eye on you...looks like you've already made some outstanding progress.

_-_v_-_
01-26-2003, 10:25 PM
I'll keep my eye on you

Uh-oh. He's at it again.

:)

Franjipani
01-27-2003, 02:39 AM
:clap:

Congratulations on starting up a journal !!!

Always a pleasure to read another female journal...All the best with your goals....to reiterate what ectx said, you really have made some spectacular progress... keep going...we'll be cheerin for ya:thumbup:

xraygirl
01-27-2003, 02:45 AM
You're going to fit right in here ;) Welcome and all that schtuff...

bradley
01-27-2003, 05:38 AM
Outstanding progress and good luck with the journal.

A little :spam: for ya!

carolinagirl
01-27-2003, 06:17 AM
Thanks everybody.

And Doc - abou that flax oil - :moon:

;)

Pup
01-27-2003, 06:23 AM
First, i'd like to say congrats on the progress you've already made, that's a ton of weight to lose :thumbup:

For the grip strength, as others said; the static holds work great. Another thing that i've found to be effective are those hand gripper thingies (TM) that are spring loaded, you can use those when you're just chillin.

Congrats on the journal, i'm sure you'll have plenty advice from the hoards of testosterone laden males, especially that crazy doc character ;)

Alex.V
01-27-2003, 06:26 AM
Welcome! Despite your terrible choice in institutions of higher learning, I'll say good luck. Not that that is really apropos, given luck has nothing to do with it, and that you didn't ask for it.

1) Do at least one set of deads and pull-ups with no straps, hammer curls, some static holds. None of the conventional "grip strengthening" exercises have done much for my grip, it's all been practical application.

2) Like V said, negatives. Get a spotter to help you JUST ENOUGH on the concentric. You'll probably be surprised how quickly you'll be able to do a pullup.

btw, you really, really, really don't need to cycle creatine. IMNSHO it's the silliest thing in the world to do. (Next to telling one's girlfriend that she's being 'overly emotional', or the whole land war in Asia bit.)

And straps for SLDLs are fine. But keep at the grip strength on the deads. Chalk might help.

Reinier
01-27-2003, 11:07 AM
You are teh ace.
You dead and row and stuff. good.

You lost a lot of weight. Congratulations.

EdgarMex
01-27-2003, 11:28 AM
Welcome to Journal Land, congratulations on your progress :thumbup:

ericg
01-27-2003, 11:28 AM
Nice journal!

Negatives are great for chins. You will be pulling your weight up in no time. Great strength and dedication!

IceRgrrl
01-27-2003, 12:00 PM
Welcome and congrats on starting a journal! :)

Mik
01-27-2003, 12:25 PM
Grats on the progress so far and welcome!

the doc
01-27-2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by carolinagirl
Thanks everybody.

And Doc - abou that flax oil - :moon:

;)

Mooning me already i see!

bring it on!!! :moon:

Relentless
01-27-2003, 12:47 PM
if you don't have a partner handy for assisted chins, pulldowns with the same grip can also help; again slow negs are the key I think

I would definitely put the chins at the start of back day as well, if you want them to progress

for all of your strength goals you might want to look at mixing up rep ranges a bit and trying some low rep sets in there as your strength will probably progress faster that way; singles up to triples or so every workout or 2nd workout on a key strength move wouldn't be out of place

congradgeuminullations on your progress thusfar and welcome to WBB

Callahan

carolinagirl
01-27-2003, 07:26 PM
Monday 1/27

Wow, helpful feedback already. You guys give quick service around here! I will indeed shake it up a litle and throw in some low low rep, high weight stuff - especially on bench, because my bench SUCKS. And Iím going to start with those negs on chins.

Today was weird and kinda sucky. I didnít want to do a sissy day, but I hadnít done biís or shoulders yet, so I tried to throw shoulders in with my normal chest and tri workout (then do biís tomorrow with legs). This is NOT my new favorite split. I was there for like an hour and 20 mins and still didnít feel like I hit anything really hard (except shoulders), but I still did 19 total sets, so I probably wore out my poor CNS. Bleah.

Anyway, here it is in all its glory (not):

1. DB chest press, flat bench: 1x10 30; 1x7 35 (barely got the last one); 1x8 30
2. Flyes, flat bench: 1x8 25; 1x6 30
3. DB pullovers: 1x8 20; 1x4 25

4. DB military press: 1x7 (first 4 with 30, drop to 25 for last 3); 1x6 25; 1x8 20
5. Rear delt isolations (facing backwards on an incline bench): 1x10 25; 1x8 25
6. Lateral raises: 1x10 15 (arms more-or-less straight); 1x8 15 (arms bent about 90 degrees)
7. Front raises: 1x8 15 (barely made the last couple)

8. Skulls supersetted with close grip bench press: 1x10/12 (skulls/bp) with ez curl bar with a 10 on each side. (I always thought the ez bar weighed 15 so I thought this was 35 lbs, but somebody just told me it was 25, which would mean 45 lbs. Which is it?); 1x6/10 (same [unknown] weight)
9. Assisted dips: 2x6 with 40 lbs assist

Weighted (10 lb) crunches on swiss ball: 1x15, 1x10 normal, then 2x10 each side for obliques
Roman Chair: 1x12 legs straight, 1x12 knees bent, 1x12 each side with bent knees.

Nutrition: Iím going to eat at maintenance or a little above for a week, maybe two, with a little more carbs than I normally eat - I feel like my leptin is a little sad lately and I want to give it a little TLC. So today was 2621 kcal, 254 g protein, 241 g carbs (all low GI except pwo shake), 76 g fat (almost all good fat).

Normally, when Iím not screwing around with my routine, I would have probably 1 or 2 more chest exercises (probably incline flyes/presses) and 2 more triceps (usually one-armed overhead french presses and pushdowns). As I said, my bench sucks, and I almost always work out alone - whatís the best way for me to bring my bench up if I canít do really close to 1RM weights b/c Iíll squash my face when I drop it? (Most of the guys at my crappy gym think itís a singles bar and if I ask for a spot Iím afraid I would end up with a date instead [trust me, considering the guys who work out at my gym, this would NOT be a positive outcome] - so donít say to ask for a spot.)

Mystic Eric
01-27-2003, 07:52 PM
How much stock you want to put in a hair compliment from a man with a mullet is up to you.

Actually, men with mullets should be be highly respected in terms of hair compliments because they have great hair: the mullet - business in the front, party in the back. :cool:

WillKuenzel
01-27-2003, 07:56 PM
What is the split you are currently working on? It just looks like you are trying to do way too much stuff in one day. Even if you are doing a 4 day split. 19 total sets and you still didn't feel like you hit anything hard. Not meaning to sound mean or nothing, but what is your intensity like?

I also want to say great job on your weight loss, that's just amazing. Its awesome that you want to do some shows. Keep at it and it sounds like you are well on your way to doing a great job.

Oh and :spam: :D

carolinagirl
01-27-2003, 08:55 PM
Belial: Will you tell me the reasoning behind the no-creatine-cycling position? So far from all I've read and heard, after 2 months your body's production of endogenous creatine downregulates b/c of the exogenous creatine you're putting in; the 2 month off cycle is supposed to renormalize this. Why is this a bad thing? (I'm genuinely curious; for once I'm not being a smartass! :) )

HomeYield: That's exactly the reason I felt like I hit nothing really hard. I have a natural flair for overtraining, so I limit myself now to 8-10 sets per large bodypart and 6-8 for smaller ones (thus no more than 18 sets per workout usually); the fact that I was spreading the 18 permissible sets too thin (over 3 instead of 2 bodyparts) made me feel like nothing got hit quite hard enough. Intensity was actually pretty high (usually is): I went to failure on chest press and militaries. Only way I think I could realistically increase it is a little less rest between sets. My split has been legs, chest/tris, back, bis/shoulders, but i have a tendency to skip bi/shoulder day (because it doesn't involve a major bodypart). Today's crappy workout was an attempt to graft a missed shoulder day onto a normal chest/tri day. (Never again!) Ideally, I would love to come up with a split that's more than 3 days but that has a large bodypart on every day.

Thanks to everybody for all the help, encouragement, and spam smilies! :D

PowerManDL
01-27-2003, 09:00 PM
Belial: Will you tell me the reasoning behind the no-creatine-cycling position? So far from all I've read and heard, after 2 months your body's production of endogenous creatine downregulates b/c of the exogenous creatine you're putting in; the 2 month off cycle is supposed to renormalize this. Why is this a bad thing? (I'm genuinely curious; for once I'm not being a smartass! :) )

That's not true.

That's about like saying your body will downregulate protein synthesis if you take in too much from your diet.

Stay on creatine :)

the doc
01-27-2003, 09:13 PM
volume is quite high :eek:

carolinagirl
01-27-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by PowerManDL

That's about like saying your body will downregulate protein synthesis if you take in too much from your diet.

So in essence it doesn't matter where the creatine's coming from (endo or exo) as long as it's there?

Originally posted by the doc
volume is quite high :eek:

Boy, you shoulda seen it before I stopped overtraining!:D

PowerManDL
01-27-2003, 09:26 PM

So in essence it doesn't matter where the creatine's coming from (endo or exo) as long as it's there?

Basically. The body produces enough for its needs regardless-- supplementing with it only increases the available pool.

Alex.V
01-28-2003, 10:00 PM
Jah, what he said. This is not like one of those endocrine processes where long term suppression of endogenous production can cause problems after supplementation has come to an end. Synthesis of creatine never actually stops, nothing is atrophying, no receptors are destroyed.

It's a simple enzymatic process that creates creatine, and unlike, say, sex hormone production, it's strictly need-based. It's like saying that a chronic sedentary lifestyle (low creatine need) will have deleterious effects on creatine production later in life. Yes, what powerman said.

*snorts creatine*

carolinagirl
01-28-2003, 10:28 PM
I bow down before the awesome power of the combined forces of logic of Belial and Powerman.

Also, I read a thread on the Avant boards today about this very issue. I'm convinced.

*buys 5 lb tub of creatine*

carolinagirl
01-29-2003, 08:56 PM
Today was leg day (yay!) Callahan, I tried your suggestion about doing some heavy stuff in the 1-3 range - only did it on 2 exercises. Is this the right approach or should I have treated it as a 'heavy day' and done everything in these ranges?

Anyway, here it is:
Squats: 1x6, 95 (warmup)
1x6, 135 (onto a box a little below parallel, sitting all the way down then coming back up)
1x2 185 YAY!!! Highest weight yet! Felt good - second one shifted a little too far forward coming up - no trouble recovering (lower back felt GOOD from all the deads) but didn't know if i had another one in me or not. So I left it at 2. Nothing hurt - I bet i could've done at least 10 more lbs. Next time.

Did one set of front squats, just messing around really: 1x6, 95

Extensions: 1x6 35 lb plates on each side (it's a hammerstrength machine)
1x4, 1x3 with 45's each side

Walking lunges (did 'em with the BB instead of DB this time b/c my damn grip is too weak to handle the weight that my legs need) 1x6 on each side with 115
1x5 on each side with 115

Seated calf raises: 1x15, 90
1x10, 100, toes turned out
1x10, 100, toes turned in

BB curls: 1x4, 50
1x6, 40

Alternating seated (incline bench) curls: 1x3, 25's (Owie. Hard to get up from the very bottom of the ROM.)
1x6, 20's

Abs: STEEP decline bench crunches (not quite hanging upside down from my knees but darned close!) Did 1x20 unweighted, then 1x15 with 10 lb and 1x10 to each side with 10 lb for obliques. Did some whatchamacallem's - start at the top, go back and to the left and pause, then down (straight in line with feet again) and pause, then up and to the right and pause, then back all the way up in the middle to original start position(?). I dub them 'round the worlds' - so let them be known from henceforth. Anyway, I did 10 of em with a 10 lb plate, then 15 crunches on floor with feet on swiss ball and 10 lb plate.

All in all a pretty darn good leg workout. I'm pleased. Comments are eagerly solicited.

Nutrition: Oh man. I don't even want to talk about it. Suffice it to say that I have had NO TROUBLE eating above maintenance yesterday and today! Bleah.

Sleep good (7.5 hrs both nights), mood good, energy good. Life is good.

Out.

the doc
01-29-2003, 08:58 PM
:eek:she does box squats!:eek:

Relentless
01-30-2003, 06:55 AM
Today was leg day (yay!) Callahan, I tried your suggestion about doing some heavy stuff in the 1-3 range - only did it on 2 exercises. Is this the right approach or should I have treated it as a 'heavy day' and done everything in these ranges?

Everyone has different ideas/advice. Some would say do everything heavy/lowrep, some would say just the big compounds.

I say find something that feels comfortable for YOU. Personally, I tend to be in the "at least do the big compound movements heavy" camp but that varies week to week. I think the important thing is to be trying some heavy sets and going for 1RMs with at least some regularity if you want to progress in strength.

carolinagirl
01-31-2003, 08:50 PM
1/31/03

1. AS pullups, OH wide grip
1x3 :mad: w/ 35 lb assist
2x3 w/70 lb assist (insert your preferred curse words here - I sure did)

2. Deads
1x8, 115 (did 10 sec. or so static holds on 3 of these)
2x4, 165 (w/straps)

3. Romanian deads
2x8, 135

(cleans, 1x12, bar only)

4. Hamstring curls (one legged)
1x8, 35, with foot flexed
1x6, 35, toes pointed
1x4, 45, feet neutral

5. Bent BB rows
1x10, 70
1x8, 80 (underhand grip)
1x6, 80

6. More @$%! AS pullups (dammit, I'm stubborn, and the bitches pissed me off earlier.)
1x4 slow negs (5-8 seconds)
1x3 ditto - I used the assist thingie to help me get up there and then lifted my feet off the assist bar for the eccentric part. (I thought this was pretty ingenious - they don't have a box or chair tall enough for me to get my head above the regular chin bar for negatives, so I improvised. I looked dorky as all get out, but I think it worked.)

Nutrition was pretty good today: 2214 cal, 53/156/278 F/C/P.

I gained 5 lbs in one refeed day. Who knew glycogen weighed so much?
:cry:
I am never getting on the scale, ever again.

Question for anybody sweet enough to read these verbose ramblings: I had never done Romanians before (usually do SLDL's instead) and I'm not sure I did them right, because they felt like crap. I really felt it far more in the low back (maybe because of trying to hold that arch in it) rather than in the hammies and glutes. I would get somebody to check my form, but I've never seen anybody else in my gym do even regular deads. (There's no platform, needless to say. I have to do them off a freakin' REEBOK STEP.) Is this just something I need to get used to or is it possible that mechanically it doesn't work as well for me?

As always, input sought (and probably acted upon - I'm quite suggestible! :D )

the doc
01-31-2003, 09:02 PM
dont get to worked up about the wide grips

use a curl grip until you can perform a few reps without assistance, THEN you can work on the wide grips (using negatives, forced reps, etc)

i have gained as much as 8 lbs after a large eating day. LOTS of water retention, especially in the intestines ;)

the doc
01-31-2003, 09:05 PM
some help on RDLs :)

http://www.protraineronline.com/past/june9/romaniandeadlifts.cfm

carolinagirl
02-01-2003, 05:19 AM
Thanks for the link, doc. I took a look and I think that I wasn't sticking my hiney out far enough. I'll give them another try next back day.

BTW, ow. I am already sore from my neck to my knees.

carolinagirl
02-03-2003, 09:08 PM
I got to the gym late tonight, so the workout was slightly rushed - but I did have my sometime lifting partner with me, so I was able to do heavy benches with a decent spot. Yay! Also, another good friend (ex-competitive PL) is joining my gym, so I will have my choice of TWO lifting partners. A decent spot on tap pretty much all the time - yay again! My bench should shortly begin to kick ass.

The workout: (I want mine to look all fancy and stuff like Miss Rezza's. How do you do that?)

1. Incline DB press
1x10, 25's to warm up
1x2, 35's
1x6, 30's
(I warmed up with this because there were morons on every potential flat bench surface in the weight room.)

2. Flat Bench
1x2, 95 (no help - not even a bump off the rack)
1x1, 115 (needed a nudge coming off the chest at the bottom, but nice slow controlled eccentric, and from bottom one-third on up was just about easy. Next week I'll get it all by myself, and it will be a new PB.)
1x6, 85

3. Flat flyes
1x4, 30's
1x5, 25's

4. Pec deck machine
1x7, 70
1x4, 80

5. Decline skulls supersetted with close grip bench (1 x skulls/cg bench)
1x7/12 with 20 lbs on the ez curl bar (I have decided that it weighs 15 lbs - it's not one of the big oly looking ez bars) - that means total weight was 35
1x7/12 with 40 (form was good on both these sets - didn't have to cheat with the elbows to get it up on the last few like I used to at these weights.)

6. One-arm overhead french press
1x6, 20 (hard time on the last rep - S L O W, but it got up!)
1x8, 15

Bunch of decline bench curls and obliques with 15 lbs (went to failure 2 sets); bunch of swiss ball curls and obliques with 15 lbs

Nutrition has been great all weekend:
Saturday: 2164 cal, 84 g fat, 116 g carbs, 231 g protein (38/17/46 F/C/P)
Sunday: 1910 ca., 63 g fat, 133 g carbs, 203 g protein (31/24/45 F/C/P)
Today: 2639 cal (a little higher than I was shooting for, especially on carbs, but it was all squeaky clean food, so whatever.) 81 g fat (2 tbs flax instead of 1), 194 g carbs, 277 g protein (29/27/44 F/C/P)

Unfortunately my ass was intimately involved with my couch all weekend (LOTS of studying - and the attendant procrastination), so I didn't run at all this weekend. Tomorrow, I promise...

Sleeping totally sucked. I had an ingrown toenail (it sounds wussy, but seriously, those things HURT!), so I couldn't sleep last night, and the dogs insist on waking me up at 5:30 each morning so that I can let them out for their daily 'barking at every damn dog that walks by while mom is trying to go back to sleep' session. It's a good thing they're so kickass in all other ways or I might have killed and roasted them over a slow fire this weekend.

There you have it.

bradley
02-04-2003, 06:34 AM
It's a good thing they're so kickass in all other ways or I might have killed and roasted them over a slow fire this weekend.

:eek:

Workouts lookin' good by the way.

ericg
02-04-2003, 07:04 AM
Nice workouts!

Just use different colors, bold fonts, underline to make your journal all fancy and speeecial!! Click on bold (or whatever you want to do with the text when you are about to type it) and insert it into the journal. Then take note of the code [b ] [/b ] (no spaces) so you can just type it all out. Another thing you can do is look at someones journal that is all fancy and quote on of their fancy entries and take not of the code they use. Possibly copy it and print it out with the code so u can look at it! If you are able to understand any of this - my hats off to ya.

carolinagirl
02-05-2003, 10:27 PM
Ericg- I'm too tired tonight to do fancy formatting but thanks for the info! I'll try it when I have some homework to do and need a solid procrastination project! :p

Today was great except for that horrible basketball game.
:mad: :mad: :mad:

Granted, we sucked (especially at free throws. WTF? It's like...free points. FREE points. Don't miss them!) But WHAT was up with the refs? Are they all Duke fans? Oh well.

Here was the workout.

1. Extensions, single-leg, plantar flexion (I'm trying to build up my quads so I preexhausted them before squats.)
1x7, 35 lb each leg
1x4, 45 each leg (extra-slow eccentrics)
1x6, 40

2. Squats
1x5 box (slightly below parallel) 135
1x7 regular, deeper than parallel but not on the box, 135
1x6 ATF, 125
1x4 box, 125
The first set of box squats in particular sucked - felt more like a good morning coming up. I think maybe I succeeded in preexhausting the quads a little too much! Or maybe my form's wrong. If there was anybody at my gym that wasn't stupid I could ask somebody. But they all are. Stupid, I mean. (I'm the ONLY person that deadlifts there - that should tell you something.) So I'm not taking advice from any of the bench-and-curl-whores. If any of y'all have advice, though, I'm all ears.

3. Leg press
2x6, 230 (plates only - don't know how much the sled weighs)
These felt extra heavy today for some reason.

4. Walking DB lunges
1x6 each leg, 50's (without straps! Yay! Grip is getting better! Thanks, Belial!)
1x6 each leg, 50's (with straps. :( Well, I didn't say my grip was GREAT.)

5. DB military presses
1x6, 30's (btw, 30 lbs is heavier than it looks.)
1x8, 25's
1x3, 30's

6. Rear delt isolation raises (facedown on incline bench)
1x10, 25's (hard to get full ROM on last one)
1x6, 30's

7. Lateral raises (arms bent 90 degrees - i know it's easier that way but I'm trying to add a little more mass in the medials, so I wanted to do relatively high weight!)
1x10, 25's
1x6, 20's

8. Alternating front raises
1x8, 15's
1x5, 15's
(I saw a couple of interesting new veins in my shoulders pop out after this little workout. Always glad to see a new vein!)

Slept 10 hours last night. Presumably that is why I am currently awake and posting. (Or perhaps it's basketball envy.)

Nutrition kicked ass for the last couple of days.
Tuesday - cals 2655; 122 g fat, 202 g carbs (all fabulous carbs), 205 g protein (that's 44/24/32 %)
Wednesday - cals 2221; 62 g fat, 187 g carbs (again, all good ones), 223 g protein. (27/30/43 %)

Everybody - any advice on what I might be doing wrong on the box squats would be welcome.

I'm going to bed now. I hate Duke. Grrr.

carolinagirl
02-05-2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by bradley

Sheesh, it's not like I said I was gonna eat 'em! (Although, protein is protein...);)

Workouts lookin' good by the way.

Thanks! Glad somebody's reading 'em - I sure appreciate the feedback!

xraygirl
02-05-2003, 10:34 PM
They do look good. I feel like as total weakling now :cry: But that's okay.

carolinagirl
02-06-2003, 07:56 AM
Xraygirl, you're sweet to say that! But I've checked out your journal on occasion, and you're no weakling. Thanks for checking out the journal, btw!

Alex.V
02-06-2003, 08:23 AM

Today was great except for that horrible basketball game.
:mad: :mad: :mad:

Granted, we sucked.....

I'm going to bed now. I hate Duke. Grrr.

:hump: :hello:

carolinagirl
02-06-2003, 08:28 AM
:bash: :shoot: :disagree: :swear:

carolinagirl
02-06-2003, 08:29 AM
oh yeah, and most of all
:moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon:

Alex.V
02-06-2003, 08:34 AM
I put in a humpy, you turn around and bend over. Yes indeed, the parallels to the game are extreme.

Enough spam. I wanted to ask... do you intentionally fluctuate your calories based on activity level (i.e. workout days) or not?

If you addressed this, I apologize.

carolinagirl
02-06-2003, 08:44 AM
Ok, that was funny. I actually did laugh out loud.

My cal intake is currently not really determined by workout days (I feel like recovery/repair takes almost as many cals as the workout itself) - I am actually still on a slow cut and I fluctuate them more based on leptin levels and metabolism issues (plateaus). I haven't really been doing a CKD yet (still researching it), but I am very interested in the hormonal-profile management stuff and repartitioning stuff - I'm doing something very close to Berardi's Lean Eating right now.

I have been eating over maintenance for a week or so because my fat loss had leveled off for a couple of weeks and I wanted my metabolism to upregulate. (Although maintenance for me is around 2300-2400 cals/day - so the recent numbers aren't really that high.)

I plan to start CKD when I hit that last really stubborn fat (from 19% down to 16% is what I'm projecting)- I think I can get maybe 5 more lbs this way though.

Paul Stagg
02-06-2003, 08:47 AM
How did Duke do against the Terps? MUAHAHA!

CG - everything looks great, keep at it.

the doc
02-06-2003, 08:51 AM
heh heh

<--- ex dukie!

carolinagirl
02-06-2003, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Paul Stagg
How did Duke do against the Terps? MUAHAHA!

Yeah, what he said! What do you say to that, ya big bully?

:evillaugh

(*ducks behind Paul*)

carolinagirl
02-07-2003, 09:57 PM
Note to self: don't do a heavy back and hamstring day before going to work and standing on your feet for 8 hours.

1. AS pullups
1x5 overhand, med. grip, 70 lb assist on the conc., 0 on the ecc.
1x4 overhand, wide grip, 70 lb assist on conc., 0 on ecc.

The wide grip ones sucked ass, as usual. The med grip felt more natural - maybe because, being a chick, my shoulders aren't as wide as the guys the grips were designed for? I didn't feel like I was recruiting the bi's any more than normal... I dunno. I liked them better.

2. Romanian deads
1x8, 95 warmup
1x8, 115
1x8, 135

No straps on any of these. Yay. And they felt MUCH better today! Thanks for the link doc!

3. Bent BB rows
1x10, 80, underhand grip
1x8, 80, overhand grip
1x7, 90, underhand grip

Heaviest I've done yet. Why does the UH grip feel better? Does it matter which one I do or is one preferable to the other?

4. Deads
1x7, 135
1x4, 185 (+20 lbs!!!) Yay me.

I think I could easily get 200 or a little more in a couple more months - I feel like there's more there still in the big muscles right now but I'm still learning the form and getting the stabilizers strong enough. (Did use straps on this last set.)

5. Biangular rows (check me out using the fancy new word I learned!!)
1x10, 45 lb each side, widest/lowest grip
1x6, 55 each side, same grip

6. Glute ham raise attempts (on floor)
2 eccentrics (first one without even hardly face-planting!) and one-half of a concentric! I feel like such a badass!! (My 200-lb 17.5 inch arm 300+benching-for-reps workout partner can't even do half of a negative.) Heh heh.

Nutrition: haven't calculated everything yet but boy was I hungry today. It had to be over 3000 cals at least - mostly clean! I think my leptin was sad. :( It wanted a refeed. Don't worry, little leptin, you can have all the cocoa pebbles you want tomorrow...

Sleep: overslept and missed a meeting with 2 professors this morning about a big important research project. So I guess you could say the sleep was good...

I found an excellent wicker trunk today at the thrift store. SCORE!
Also, (and I find this odd), right now, both of my dogs AND my cat are all snoring. All of them. Even the cat. Am I the only one who thinks that's weird? (Kitty snores are cute, btw.)

Tune in next week! (Not really - it'll probably only be till Monday. Not that anybody's waiting with bated breath for the next gripping installment of my uproarious antics or anything.) (Note to self: shut up and go to bed.)

(Oh, and ericg: check out the bold and the red! You kick ass! (And so do I, for figuring out what the bejeezus you said!:D ) Believe me, it would be even fancier if I wasn't so sleepy right now!

WillKuenzel
02-07-2003, 10:17 PM
Not that anybody's waiting with bated breath for the next gripping installment of my uproarious antics or anything*cough cough*

Why does the UH grip feel better? Does it matter which one I do or is one preferable to the other?I like the UN grip better because I can pull more weight that way. I just think it has better leverage and I can feel the muscle contractions better. I just feels more natural too. Plus it involves the bi's more with UN than OH.

Do you pull the rows to your waist or just above?

carolinagirl
02-07-2003, 10:24 PM
Slightly above (not much though). And yeah, that's exactly what I thought when I was doing 'em - the ROM was more natural and I could use more weight without cheating.

Since you do them UH, I'm going to too. (I'm such a herd-follower!)

PowerManDL
02-07-2003, 10:31 PM
These posts sound like orgasms with all the UHs and UNs and OHs

WillKuenzel
02-07-2003, 10:33 PM
Harder OH!!

More UN!!

Yeah UH!!

carolinagirl
02-07-2003, 10:35 PM
If you have a FILTHY MIND it does.

In that case, why the crap didn't I notice it?!?

PowerManDL
02-07-2003, 10:40 PM
You're obviously not giving it your all.

C- for effort.

carolinagirl
02-07-2003, 11:01 PM
You better be talkin' about my lifts, buster.

Nobody, but NOBODY, talks that way about my filthy mind.

Alex.V
02-07-2003, 11:28 PM
It just needs more filthification. That's what we're here for.

the doc
02-08-2003, 12:03 PM
my contribution

:hump:

that is all

Pup
02-08-2003, 02:44 PM
i'll contribute as well...:hump:

btw...duke sucks monkey balls...that is all

carolinagirl
02-09-2003, 12:42 PM
I hurt like somebody beat me today (lower lats and hams). Zowie.

And I think I'm getting sick.

Blah.

Franjipani
02-10-2003, 02:15 AM
I hurt like somebody beat me today (lower lats and hams). Zowie.And I think I'm getting sick.

Blah.

WOW....fantastic job on your Deads there CG... :thumbup:.

Yet another fab female for me to keep my eye on..;)

*shakes off poundage envy*

Keep those fluids up girl. Mmmmm seems like this sickness thingi is contagious on this board :eek:

carolinagirl
02-10-2003, 06:31 PM
I did a really weird bunch of bodyparts today. It was like a Frankenstein split - nothing really went with anything else. But last week I ran out of gas and/or time in 2 workouts, which resulted in skippage of the minor bodyparts on those days (on leg day I skipped calves, on back day I skipped bi's). Today, which should have been chest/tri's day, my chest was sore - after back day on Friday. (What the hell, anyway? I bet it was those dadgum medium grip chins!) So today I skipped chest and did a 'leftover day' workout. Ladies and gents, I give you the hallowed, well-nigh-classic bi/tri/calves day!

And before y'all start getting your boxer briefs and/or panties into wads about the amount of volume these little guys got today, let me just tell you that I'm getting bored and I'm gonna shake it up this week. It's gonna get weird from here on out. I may even do cardio! (If it's not cold and rainy.)

I've been doing moderate volume, adding weight each week, same old big compounds for 2 months now and I feel a little stale. So this week I'm going to do high volume, low weight (well, low-ish weight - a girl's got her pride, you know!) for some workouts. I'm also working out one day with an ex-competitive PL who will brutally tear apart my form on the dead and squat (sweet!). Another day I am working out with a guy on the coaching staff of the UNC football team (shut up, Belial). He's going to take me to the special secret expensive well-equipped football team gym (I said shut UP!!!) and work with me on Oly lifts. I've never learned them. I think it will be fun! And painful. But fun, nonetheless. (I must have a twisted notion of fun.) So, this week is going to be sort of a vacation from the normal old routine - and I may switch some stuff out afterwards.

Boy, I sure am gabby today. It must be the wicked endorphin rush from that super-hardcore arm workout I did today! :evillaugh Without further ado (aaah, who am I kidding. There's always further ado when I'm around!)... anyway - here's the workout:

1. BB curls
1x10, 40
1x6, 50

2. Decline skull-crushers superset with close-grip bench
1x10/15, 35 (skulls/bench)
1x5/12, 45
1x4/15, 45

3. Seated alternating incline DB curls
1x8 each arm, 20 lb DB's
1x5 each arm, 25 lb DB's
(It was hard to come out of full extension with the 25's. This pissed me off.)

4. One-arm overhead french press
1x8 each side, 20
1x4 each side, 25's
(Again, had to cheat a little on the last 2 of each set to get up out of full extension.)

5. Seated calf raise superset w/standing one-leg calf raise
seated: 1x15, 90 lb, feet neutral
standing one-leg: 1x12 each leg, 30, toes pointed out
seated: 1x12, 90, toes out
standing one-leg: 1x12 each leg, 35, toes pointed in
seated: 1x12, 90, toes in
standing one-leg: 1x10 each leg, 35, neutral.
(this last set was to total failure.)

6. Assisted dips
1x10 wide grip, 40 lbs assist
1x6 narrow grip, 40 lbs assist
1x7 wide grip, 40 lbs assist
(I think next time I can go down a little on the assist weight. I'm going to be doing these suckas weighted in NO time!!)

7. Concentration curls
1x10 each arm, 20

8. Stiff-arm tricep pushdowns. straight bar
1x12, 60
1x8, 80
(These were an experiment. I REALLY want to get a kickass horseshoe - I've got the medial that runs across but the long head, that makes the back of the horseshoe, isn't very massive at all. These are supposed to isolate the long head really well. I felt nothing on the first set, but the second set was pretty good - I'll see how much it hurts over the next couple of days.) (Anybody got anything else to recommend for the horseshoe?)

9. Triceps pushdown, rope attachment
1x12, 60
1x10, 50

10. Roman chair
1x20, knees bent, to chest
1x15, knees bent, to each side
1x15, knees bent, to chest

11. Weighted swiss ball crunches
1x15, 15 lbs
1x10 to each side, 15 lbs

Then after that I was pretty tired, so I stopped.

It was fun though. (I got so pumped I kind of scared myself! There were veins poppin' out all over the place! Woo-hoo!)

And btw, in case any of you were concerned, I never did get sick. I took about 8 grams of vitamin C yesterday and today and frankly, I feel pretty darn good.

Nutrition and other related stuff: I haven't calculated food yet today - I'll post again after I do. I ate pizza and wings last night though. BAD. (But oh so good!)
And I'll bet I sleep the sleep of the innocent tonight!

later.

carolinagirl
02-10-2003, 07:28 PM
OK, just did my food. So far today (includes dinner but not before-bed meal: it'll be either cottage cheese or an anabolic driver shake with flax).

Cals: 1722 so far.
62 g fat, 107 g carbs, 180 g protein: that's 34%/22%/44%. I so kick ass - this is pretty much bullseye range for me (once you factor in meal # 6 before bed).

Franji: Thanks for the kind words on the deads and for dropping by the journal! (And talk about poundage envy - I turn pea-green every time I look at Savannah's numbers!!!)
Doc: I hadn't gotten a humpy from you in quite a while. I was starting to wonder if you were sick, or if maybe the 1-test was having some strange sides... I was gonna mail you some 6-OXO. But whew - that's a load off my mind!
Pup: I heartily concur on the monkey balls. Thanks for the backup - I need all the help I can get on this Duke thing. (I think I am vastly out-numbered.) (And a girl can never get too many humpys!)
Belial: Hmmmm. Filthification lessons...you interest me strangely. Let's see what you got, big boy - I'm always willing to learn.

MixmasterNash
02-10-2003, 09:04 PM
2. Romanian deads
1x8, 95 warmup
1x8, 115
1x8, 135

4. Deads
1x7, 135
1x4, 185 (+20 lbs!!!) Yay me.

Holy cr*p. You must not train at the UNC gym because no one ever deadlifts there. It's like they're banned or something. Okay, I suppose you might be lifting during the 23 hours a day I'm not there. If you do lift at the SRC, and you see someone deadlifting, it's probably me or my friends who I finally convinced to start doing something besides bench press. If you don't train there, where do you work out at? I have a free membership for AC fitness in C'boro, but I haven't been yet.

Keep up the deads. I kicked my own ass but pulled good weight last week!

WillKuenzel
02-10-2003, 09:56 PM
Whoa nelly at the volume!! That's bunch of stuff. My triceps would be cramping like crazy after all that.

(I think next time I can go down a little on the assist weight. I'm going to be doing these suckas weighted in NO time!!)Dips rule and that is all.

carolinagirl
02-11-2003, 07:53 AM
HY: Yeah, it is a lot of volume - usually I only do at most 3 exercises for tris and 2 for bis - but like I said, I was getting a little stale and wanted to shake it up a little bit. I'm not that sore today though (yet!).

Mixmaster: I'm a continuing ed grad student, so I would have to pay $120 a semester to use the overcrowded SRC. :mad: So I train at the Spa over on Elliot Rd. (Nobody deadlifts there either.) I tried out AC and thought it sucked - too crowded (both as in lots of people and little room in between benches and machines). But there are some monster guys that train there.

Oh, and just for the record, I did not sleep the sleep of the innocent last night. I slept the sleep of the crap. Couldn't get to sleep till 3 am! :swear:

Workhorse
02-11-2003, 08:25 AM
From an old prospective UNC student (me) to you carolinagirl... looks like you're doing great!!! Workouts are great, diet looks fantastic, and you've done a great job losing the weight you have!!! Amazing... you started this journal a while ago, but this is the first time I've read through it all. I'll keep checking in on ya... and keep up the great work!!!! :thumbup:

MixmasterNash
02-11-2003, 11:03 PM
Mixmaster: I'm a continuing ed grad student, so I would have to pay $120 a semester to use the overcrowded SRC. :mad: So I train at the Spa over on Elliot Rd. (Nobody deadlifts there either.) I tried out AC and thought it sucked - too crowded (both as in lots of people and little room in between benches and machines). But there are some monster guys that train there.

Right. The SRC isn't so bad if you just start doing deads and cleans in the racks. I think people just get confused and wonder why you're not doing bicep curls with the olympic bar.

Maybe I'll give AC fitness a try. I work late so maybe 3 am workouts won't be so busy. Do they have power racks? That's all I really want these days. :D

carolinagirl
02-12-2003, 09:46 PM
I worked out with my ex-PL friend today. It was fun. He said my squat form is good. :D Sweet.

I did fairly high reps with fairly low weights today (again, a part of 'shake it up' week.)

1. Single-leg extensions
1x8 each leg, 35 lbs each side
1x7 each leg, 37.5 each side
1x7 each leg, 40 each side

2. Squats
1x10, 95
1x10, 115
1x10, 135 (last 2 were pretty hard on this set)

3. Leg Press
(Don't know how much the sled weighs so the numbers express just the amount I added in plates)
1x10, 180
1x7, 230
These kind of make my knees ache. I think the foot plate is at a bad angle for me or something.

4. DB walking lunges
1x7 each leg, 50 lb DBs (no straps!)
1x6 each leg, 55 lb DBs (straps)
The 55's gave me a twinge in my elbow just from holding the weights - also think holding them wore out my shoulders a little. Perhaps I'll switch to BB lunges. (Heh heh. I could knock some people over as I progress through the gym with a loaded barbell on my back. And then I could pretend it was an accident and that I feel bad about it.)

5. BB military press
1x10 behind neck, 50
1x7 to the front, 50
I don't so much like the BB presses for shoulders - I feel them more in the bottom of my traps and under my shoulderblades. I'm going back to DB presses next time.

6. Cleans
1x10, 50

7. Rear isolation raises (facing backwards on incline bench)
1x10, 25's

8. Rear delt raises, standing (I was smushing my nose against the bench and I didn't like it so I changed to these)
1x12, 20's

9. Lateral raises
1x8, arms bent 90 degrees, 20's (weak and pathetic)
1x8, straight arms, 15's (even worse)
I am SUCH a girl on these.

10. Front raises
1x7, 15's

Nutrition:
1906 cal
60 g fat, 166 g carbs, 183 g protein
(29% F, 32% C, 39% P)
(Little low on cals, but I'll probably eat some cottage cheese before bed, and that would bring it up to about 2100. Right on.)

Sleep:
Not looking promising. I have a first draft of a huge research paper due tomorrow. Am I done with it? Noooo, buddy. Am I working on it right now instead of procrastinating in my journal? Again, no.

Workhorse: Thanks for the thumbs up and for checking in! I love company. Come by any time - and feel free to scold and correct if the spirit moves you. I'm always up for improvement!
Mixmaster: If I remember correctly AC has at least one power rack. But if your free membership is one of those temporary try-us-out for a week things, they will hound you to the ends of the earth to try to get you to sign up and shell out the dough. (They called me 3 times in one week after I went on a one-day guest pass with a friend.)

Alex.V
02-12-2003, 09:47 PM
Don't you live ten minutes away? Why not head up here this weekend for a workout, jigga?

WillKuenzel
02-12-2003, 09:52 PM
Perhaps I'll switch to BB lunges. (Heh heh. I could knock some people over as I progress through the gym with a loaded barbell on my back. And then I could pretend it was an accident and that I feel bad about it.):evillaugh Just make sure to really brace yourself when you hit them because there is a bit of a recoil. And if you do knock them out then make sure they are off to the side because stepping over bodies is not cool. And then trying to move them out of the way for the 2nd set is even more a pain.

carolinagirl
02-12-2003, 10:08 PM
HY: Heh heh. I'm gonna try it. There are several people that are on my list of 'People I Would Like To Hit With a Barbell'. If I could only get them lined up just right...

B: Heck yeah - that would be sweet! But no mocking me for my girly weights. (And will they let me in the Duke gym?)

Alex.V
02-12-2003, 10:11 PM
Course they would. $3 fee for me to bring a guest, but it's not a problem. Just leave the damn baby blue workout clothes at home. ;)

the doc
02-12-2003, 10:14 PM
man do i really miss wilson rec :(

carolinagirl
02-12-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Belial
Just leave the damn baby blue workout clothes at home. ;)

OK, but what do I do about all the UNC tattoos?

WillKuenzel
02-12-2003, 10:35 PM
Just wear skimpy clothes to show them off :p

Alex.V
02-12-2003, 10:39 PM
Girl, it's not the rest of the people at the gym you have to worry about.

It's ME.

carolinagirl
02-12-2003, 11:24 PM
Whew. I was envisioning a crazed mob of Dukies with pitchforks.
Now, that would be scary.

You, I think I can handle.

xraygirl
02-12-2003, 11:50 PM
Don't fret about being girly on the shoulder raises. Its an easy part of the body to injure.

carolinagirl
02-13-2003, 09:19 AM
True. It would be handy if the gym had weird DB's (like 17's or something) - because with a weak little muscle like one head of the delt, a jump of 5 lbs is HUGE.

I'm just frustrated b/c I've been stuck on 15's and 20's forever. Complete lack of progression is less than motivating... On a positive note, though, my delts are looking big, at least. :D

ericg
02-13-2003, 09:27 AM
Nice leg session gal. Impressive. Good work on the BB press too.

PS - show B how its done and let us know how bad u beat him up

BennettBoy
02-13-2003, 10:24 AM
I vote that all us folks in the Carolina's and surrounding states/areas get together for some 1) training and 2) partying afterwards either in Durham or on Franklin Street.....:D

ectx
02-13-2003, 10:53 AM
Don't forget to rub his bald spot or fat belly for good luck. tehe...midgets are funny. :D

MixmasterNash
02-13-2003, 12:06 PM
Mixmaster: If I remember correctly AC has at least one power rack. But if your free membership is one of those temporary try-us-out for a week things, they will hound you to the ends of the earth to try to get you to sign up and shell out the dough. (They called me 3 times in one week after I went on a one-day guest pass with a friend.) [/B]

Thanks for the heads up. I actually have a free membership from my apartment complex. I pay rent, I get gym membership. It would be really cool if I didn't already have a free gym access.

Be sure to wear your Duck Fuke shirt if you venture over to Durham. The only reason I ever set foot in that den of evil is the world beer festival.

carolinagirl
02-13-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by BennettBoy
I vote that all us folks in the Carolina's and surrounding states/areas get together for some 1) training and 2) partying afterwards either in Durham or on Franklin Street.....:D
Craig: I heartily second that vote! And I move that we add another trip to the WBB calendar: SC, around, say, May 31? (Although I'm not sure whether I would want people seeing my first show or not! :p I will probably do something moronic like trip and fall down.)

Originally posted by ectx
Don't forget to rub his bald spot or fat belly for good luck.
ectx: I'm not sure that JSG would approve of that. (But midgets are funny.)

Originally posted by ericg
PS - show B how its done and let us know how bad u beat him up
Ericg: Thanks for the encouragement - and, uh, yeah. That's exactly what I foresee happening! :rolleyes: ;)

Originally posted by MixmasterNash
Be sure to wear your Duck Fuke shirt if you venture over to Durham.
Mixmaster: I think discretion may be the better part of valor in some instances. This would appear to be one of them.

BennettBoy
02-13-2003, 02:38 PM

Craig: I heartily second that vote! And I move that we add another trip to the WBB calendar: SC, around, say, May 31?

Uh, uh....I liked my idea better. :D

I'm shy enough as it is. If you come, just don't let me know you are coming. I'd be even more nervous. :angel:

carolinagirl
02-13-2003, 02:55 PM
That's exactly how I feel. My first show (whenever that may be) will be far, far away from home, and nobody I know is allowed to come see me, because I will surely make myself look like a moron, and I don't want to have witnesses. (Especially ones with videocameras!)

Franklin Street it is, then!

WillKuenzel
02-13-2003, 08:24 PM

Craig: I heartily second that vote! And I move that we add another trip to the WBB calendar: SC, around, say, May 31? (Although I'm not sure whether I would want people seeing my first show or not! :p I will probably do something moronic like trip and fall down.)

I'm there on both accounts! We definitely have to get something worked out.

I'm shy enough as it is. If you come, just don't let me know you are coming. I'd be even more nervous.Oh, oops. No... I won't be there... sure. :D

Alex.V
02-13-2003, 08:27 PM
Damn straight. I suggest the Duke gym for the meeting. Come on. lol. Franklin street is right nearby, and the power cages are ALWAYS free. :D

I won't be there either, BB. ;)

carolinagirl
02-13-2003, 10:43 PM
I just got back from a serious shake-up-the-routine night - I started learning some Olympic lifts. Those mugs require some serious coordination and flexibility!!! It was fun though. A friend is on the coaching staff of the UNC football team, so he took me to the special football team gym. I am now officially spoiled for all other gyms. They had like 12 Husky cages (?) - each with its own power rack, chin bar, dip station, incline/decline/flat bench. And they had like 10 racks, and the bars were all spinny on the ends for the Olympic lifts (so the plates will spin?) and all the plates looked the same size around but some were thicker than other ones. And they were marked in kg, which was cool but weird, and they were covered in colored rubber so you could drop 'em on the floor all you wanted, which was just cool. And there were big tubs of chalk everywhere and the dumbbells went up to 200 lbs and they had 3 glute ham raise machines!!! (The GH raises are a LOT easier on the machines than on the floor, btw. I could actually DO them on the machines - I got 4-5 reps.) And I did 6 dips without any assist, which I probably could have done before but had never tried, and that was fun too.

And I learned the rudiments of hang and power cleans (these are REALLY FUN) and I hit myself in the collarbone multiple times. (But it's hot for a chick to have bruises on her collarbones from power cleans, right?) It's going to take me a WHILE to get the technique right though. Also we worked on the motion of the snatch (with dumbbells), which was even harder. And overhead squats, which I liked.

You may be able to tell from my breathless hyperactivity that it was fun. And I'm all tired now, because of the new motions, even though I didn't add any weight to the bar on anything, but I'm pretty sure that I'm going to be hurting tomorrow.

Haven't done my food yet today but seeing as I only had 5 meals and they were like 4 hours apart instead of 3, and seeing as I was not very excited about anything in the fridge today, I'm pretty sure that I'm way low on cals - maybe even as low as 1800 would be my gut feeling. :eek:

I think I'll go eat some more cottage cheese.

Edit Just did my food for yesterday.
1770 kcal (can I call 'em or what? :( )
49 g fat, 170 g carb, 160 g protein (26% F, 36% C, 38% P)

WillKuenzel
02-13-2003, 10:53 PM
They had like 12 Husky cages (?) - each with its own power rack, chin bar, dip station, incline/decline/flat bench. And they had like 10 racks, and the bars were all spinny on the ends for the Olympic lifts (so the plates will spin?) and all the plates looked the same size around but some were thicker than other ones. And they were marked in kg, which was cool but weird, and they were covered in colored rubber so you could drop 'em on the floor all you wanted, which was just cool. And there were big tubs of chalk everywhere and the dumbbells went up to 200 lbs and they had 3 glute ham raise machines!!! :drooling: :hump:

I remember doing power cleans and snatches when I ran track. We had those rubber plates and you could just toss the weight around and have fun. My home gym will be like that one day.

But it's hot for a chick to have bruises on her collarbones from power cleans, right?Oh hell yes!

Now go eat and quite teasing us with these stories of heaven.

BennettBoy
02-14-2003, 07:27 AM
Did you get to workout in the new UNC football building behind the stadium? I hate UNC LOL (I'm a Clemson boy), but I love their football building. It's SWEET! Now all UNC needs is a football coach. Bwahahaha. :D

And before you give me hell, let me add....I am aware Clemson needs a better one too. ;)

carolinagirl
02-14-2003, 07:35 AM
Did you get to workout in the new UNC football building behind the stadium?

Yep, that's where. It's a meathead's Disneyland!

MixmasterNash
02-14-2003, 04:26 PM
Mixmaster: I think discretion may be the better part of valor in some instances. This would appear to be one of them. [/B]

What's that you say? The Dookie you're visiting can deadlift 600lbs? How would you like your coffee, Coach K?

Too bad about all that losing to Wake though.

Pup
02-14-2003, 05:23 PM
CG...you should come train at good ole duke when i go visit alex, i'll be sporting the NC hat so we can both be hated...:evillaugh

carolinagirl
02-14-2003, 11:35 PM
Excellent. The more backup, I have, the better.

Yes, i do indeed have somewhat of a buzz right now....3 bottles of wine (and 2 boxes of chocolates) later - wow! now I call that a REFEED!!!

(Yes, thank you for asking, I had an excellent Valentine's Day. And I didn't even see the guy I am 'dating'!!!) (BTW, sweet!)

carolinagirl
02-15-2003, 06:22 PM
Whew. Got a little loopy last night - had a bunch of people over for dinner and we ate like a pack of starving hyenas. i made meatloaf, scalloped potatoes, squash casserole, and cabbage, and homemade brownies and ice cream for dessert. And we drank 5 bottles of wine between 6 people. So I kinda felt ass-y all day - plus I had to be at work at 8, and didn't get to bed till 3-ish. So sleep was no good. Nutrition was through the roof though - I totally made up for the low cals on Thursday! The breakdown ended up being:
4642 cals (!)
160 g fat, 479 g carbs, 202 g protein
Leptin is happy.

Got to the gym 35 minutes before close tonight so I just did a quick bi/tri workout.

one-arm overhead french press
1x10 each arm, 20
1x7 each arm, 25
These felt strong today; I usually do them after chest and decline skulls, so they're usually already kind of fried.

decline skulls superset w/ close grip bench press
2x6/15, 45

bb curls
1x8, 50
1x2 with 55/drop back to 50 for 3 more

BW dips (UNassisted!!)
1x10 bw
1x6 bw
1x5 bw
I probably could've been doing these for a while now but I didn't think I could so I didn't try it. Heh heh. Sweet.

preacher curls
1x8, 35
1x5, 45

decline crunches
1x25, 1x15, 10 lbs
1x15 to each side, 10 lbs

roman chair raises
1x20, bent knees
1x10, bent knees, to each side
(Need to start weighting these, I think; they get easier and easier.)

That's all I had time for.

I'm going to bed early tonight.

Franjipani
02-15-2003, 07:39 PM
BW dips (UNassisted!!)
1x10 bw
1x6 bw
1x5 bw
I probably could've been doing these for a while now but I didn't think I could so I didn't try it. Heh heh. Sweet.

Whoooooa, and you managed all this while still feeling groggy?? :eek:

Crazy woman.... I luv it :thumbup:

carolinagirl
02-16-2003, 09:08 PM
Thanks Franji! :D

So, I just found some BMR calculator online (hussman's) that actually takes bf% into account. However, it says that to lose fat I should be eating 1160 to 1600 cals a day!!! Maybe the bf I used is wrong. The guy who's helping me with my training and diet did it about 2 months ago and it was 21.5 then. I know I've gotten leaner since then (I can see new veins in places other than forearms, I'm more defined in the top half, and I can see more abs) but I haven't lost but 2 lbs - and that's averaging about 2000 cals a day. And Mike won't take my bf again for another month b/c he says I am obsessing. :mad: (Which, clearly, I am - but that's beside the point!)

So, the bottom line is, I would like to lose the fat a leetle faster - but I'm afraid that lowering my cals by that much will throw my metabolism (and training) out of whack. Should I just keep doing what I've been doing and be more patient? Should I try the lower cals and see what happens? Or should I just buy my own damn calipers and get somebody else to take my bf%?

Grumble grumble. I wish I had a darn webcam (and the technological know-how to operate it) so I could post a pic and let the experts estimate my bf.

BennettBoy
02-17-2003, 06:31 PM
had a bunch of people over for dinner and we ate like a pack of starving hyenas. i made meatloaf, scalloped potatoes, squash casserole, and cabbage, and homemade brownies and ice cream for dessert. And we drank 5 bottles of wine between 6 people.

That sounds like one fine dinner. I love everything on that menu. And I'm trying to learn to like wine. :)

32 huh? And 23 :eek:

Hey, go for it!!!

carolinagirl
02-17-2003, 06:43 PM
Somehow I've messed up my split (again). So I'm arbitrarily starting with back. (I think it should've been chest too last workout but I didn't have time.) It was a doozy, too!

Pullups
(Notice I didn't say 'assisted pullups'. Know why? Because I did one pretty one and one pretty ugly one without any assist. Then it all went straight to hell, but still, that was progress!!!)
1x2 BW (overhand, medium grip)
3x2 w/40 lb assist (overhand, medium grip mostly, one set wide)
1x3 w/55 lb assist (overhand, medium grip)

Romanians
1x10 warmup, bar only
1x9, 135
1x8, 155
Heaviest I've done so far - I think I still have a little more in me at my current strength level, but I felt it a little in the low back. I think form's still not 100% so I didn't push it too much.

Manual glute-ham raises (on the floor with my feet hooked)
1x3 eccentrics, 1/2 concentric
These are on my list of 'things I am determined to conquer'. Hams/calves almost cramped when I got up.

Bent BB rows
1x10, 80 (overhand grip)
2x8, 90 (underhand grip)
Pulled these real low (to my waist, almost at bellybutton) - is this optimal or am I using too much weight if I can't pull it higher?

Deads
1x4, 185
1x2, 200!!!
SWEET! Could've done one more but the lockout on the second wasn't all that sharp, and I felt pretty fried already.

Biangular rows
1x12, 90 total (45 on each side)
1x8, 110 total (55 on each side)

Dumbbell shrugs
1x12, 25's
1x10, 25's

Hyperextensions, 1x10 unweighted - trying to see if I could mimic glute-ham machine raises on our hyper bench. (Answer is no.)

Ab stuff
Roman chair: 2x10 sets to center, 1x10 to each side
Crunches, pulling knees to chest: 1x20
V-crunches (?) (legs straight, arms straight - pulling both together until legs and arms make a 'v') 2x10 (that was absolute failure, btw) (heh heh. I love a bad pun.)

All in all, intense workout. I'm pretty pleased with myself right now. (I got a few stares while I was setting up for the 200 dead :D - for once it didn't annoy me, HY!)

Diet sucked. Ate every last crumb of chocolate in the house during my snowed-in-bad-tv-marathon this morning - and I forgot my PWO shake at the gym. But the good news is, I'm only up 1/2 a pound despite all my indiscretions of the past week.

Sleep, on the other hand, rocked. Two 9 1/2 hour nights in a row - and tonight promises the same sweet sweet slumber. (No class till 2 pm tomorrow.)

Pup
02-17-2003, 06:50 PM
Nice deadlift!

carolinagirl
02-17-2003, 07:09 PM
Pup: thanks. I liked it too! ;)

Craig: yeah, I love that kind of food too - 'mama cooking'. When we have our Carolinas meathead get-together I'll volunteer to cook if y'all want. ;)

32 huh? And 23 :eek:

Yeah, it kind of freaked me out at first too - but he's a pretty old 23 (and come to think of it, I'm a pretty silly 32). However, we are "dating" (I couldn't think of another word for it) - we're not dating. There's a BIG difference! :)

We hang out and have a great time together, and we agree that it's not going any farther than that. It's great!

BTW, I've always dated guys at least 4 years older than me up till now, so I can state with confidence that the younger woman/older guy thing works equally well if neither party is a complete emotional moron. You should go for your girlie! (Seriously, you blow most guys away, regardless of age. Don't let that stop you if you like her.)

Workhorse
02-18-2003, 09:08 AM
CG, your weights are fantastic!! I'm amazed at the weight you toss around... VERY impressive. As for your bodyfat and cals... You're better off going on how your body feels rather than what some program or calculator tells you. You know your body best... but I'm sure you already knew that!! ;) Keep up the great work!! :thumbup:

carolinagirl
02-18-2003, 06:07 PM
Workhorse: thanks for the kind words! (and for reading my ramblings. I need all the advice I can get!)

I decided to try cutting the cals just a teeny bit to see what happens - but I'm not going down past 1700-1800. I'll see where that takes me. (And I may grudgingly begin to add in some cardio pretty soon... blech. But it won't be so bad once it warms up outside.)

That said, here's today's diet (today was a rest day - I'm pretty stiff in the old back and hamstrings! :D )

M1 1 cup (cooked measure) plain oats with 1/2 diced granny smith apple; 1 cup scrambled egg whites with 1 whole egg; 2 fish oil caps
M2 1/2 chicken breast with mushrooms, 1 cup steamed broccoli
M3 1 cup nonfat cottage cheese; 2 fish oil caps
M4 1 cup nonfat cottage cheese, 2 tbs almond butter
M5 1 cup lean ground beef with onions, 1/4 cup steamed brown rice,1 cup steamed cabbage; 2 fish oil caps
M6 slow-release protein blend with 1 tbs flax oil

Pretty good breakdowns:
1808 kcal
74 g fat (16 sat, 13 poly, 17 mono)
107 g carbs
175 g protein
39% fat, 20% carbs, 41% protein

(I know that meal 4 was pretty lame! I was feeling particularly lazy. Normally would have had another 1/2 chix breast and some kind of green veggie.)

BennettBoy
02-18-2003, 06:13 PM
Haha, I'm going to start doing 1 day of cardio per week starting tomorrow myself. :( But hopefully I want need to get drastic with it to get down to where I want weight-wise.

Your diet looks really really good carolinagirl. But where are the brownies and icecream? :D

Pup
02-18-2003, 08:37 PM
1 day of cardio craig...lmao, i do it at least 5x a week and consider myself a slacker, you old men and your fast metabolisms

WillKuenzel
02-18-2003, 10:37 PM
...cardio...

1 day of cardio...

Originally posted by Pup
i do it at least 5x a week

I get scared just reading about it.

Pup
02-19-2003, 06:57 AM
HY...i think what you need is a good hard set of wind sprints to help you with your disease, aka Cardiophobia, it is treatable, and we're all here to help you through this ;)

Workhorse
02-19-2003, 07:57 AM
Cardio is the devil. That is all.

carolinagirl
02-19-2003, 06:02 PM
Craig: I can only eat brownies and ice cream on alternate days. ;)

HY and Workhorse: I am SO with you on this - I HATE cardio with a loathing and a contempt. However, unlike you, I am NOT bulking. My diet is like 99% perfect, my training has been kicking ass, but I have been bitching about the fat coming off too slowly - so I'm gonna try something desperate.

And then if the DNP doesn't do the trick, I'll try some cardio. :D (Just kidding!)

Pup: Just keep your sick little cardio fetish to yourself, fella. None of that kind of talk allowed around here. ;)

Today was chest/tri day, and it was a pretty good one. No PB's or anything, but everything felt good and tight, and I trained with my favorite workout partner (the ex-PL) - the best spotter in the world. (No, HY, you can't have him.) Got a huge pump in my tris (I love the way my arms look with that solid little curve at the back when they're all pumped. I want them to look like that all the time.) And I got a great endorphin rush. (In case you didn't notice, I'm still a little hyped up!!!)

Flat bench
1x12 warmup with bar
1x6, 95
1x3, 105
These were nice and solid - Ed said from the look of the reps and how tight they were that I probably have a single at 125 or so right now. Sweet. I'm gonna try it next week.

Incline flyes
1x5, 30's
1x6, 25's
1x8, 20's

Decline DB press
1x10, 35's
1x6, 40
Pretty easy on both sets. Next week I should probably start with the 40's and move up to 45's.

Flat flyes
1x6, 30's
1x8, 25's

French press
1x6, one 40 lb DB
1x8, one 35 lb DB
I don't usually do these. They were hard. (I liked it. :D )

Dips
1x8 BW
1x6 BW
1x4 BW
I love these now. I feel like such a badass. (Just wait till I start adding weight - I will get unbearably cocky!)

Cable pressdown w/ rope attachment
1x10, 70
1x8, 60

Ab stuff
Hanging leg raises: 1x12, 1x8; 2x8 obliques
Rope crunches: 1x15, 70 lbs; 1x15, 80 lbs
Both of these are new too - I love them both. Hell, right now I love everything.

Tomorrow is the big day - I'm going to do some type of cardio. Somebody yell at me if I wuss out and don't do it!!!! (I nominate you, Pup, since you're the only pro-cardio person who apparently ever reads this crap!)

OK, food post later. Maybe bathtub later too (although I won't post that, so don't ask!) - my spinal erectors (heh heh heh, I said 'erect'...) are still a little stiff (heh heh heh, I said 'stiff') from that BIG-ASS deadlift on Monday.

(Yeah, I'd say I still have an endorphin rush (or something) going on. I seem to be channeling Beavis and Butthead.) (Do girls get little bitty girly test spikes after workouts?...)

Alex.V
02-19-2003, 06:11 PM
Screw cardio. *kicks over treadmill*

Test spikes? Yes, they probably do. That doesn't excuse 8th grade humor, though. :D

carolinagirl
02-19-2003, 06:27 PM
Watch your step, buddy.

Beavis and Butthead are at least 9th grade level humor.

Alex.V
02-19-2003, 06:31 PM
Watch MY step? Careful, girlie, we still better have a date this sunday, and then we'll see what's what.

carolinagirl
02-19-2003, 06:52 PM
now you're scaring me!

ectx
02-19-2003, 07:00 PM

Tomorrow is the big day - I'm going to do some type of cardio. Somebody yell at me if I wuss out and don't do it!!!! (I nominate you, Pup, since you're the only pro-cardio person who apparently ever reads this crap!)

Bah...lots of us advocate cardio...okay not lots of us, but we're out here.

Now post pics of that hot bath of yours. :hump:

WillKuenzel
02-19-2003, 08:00 PM
Once the weather warm-ups it might be time to head out to the track. After 6 years of track I still have an affinity for sprints. Maybe I'm just denying my inner cardio demon. 200m hill sprints, 300m circuit training, 10x100m wind sprints... mmmm, the warm weather is coming too. I'm just not into that LSD stuff. (Long Slow Distance).

Now, lets talk about this spotter that I'm taking... :evillaugh

carolinagirl
02-19-2003, 08:52 PM
Ok, just did my food for today. Once again, I rule - right on, baby. (Except for the part where I somehow left out a meal and now don't have room in my cals for a before-bed shake. Damn the flax oil.)

M1 1 cup plain oats, 1/2 granny smith apple, 1 cup egg whites, 1 whole egg
M2 1 chix breast, 1 cup cabbage, 1 cup collards
M3 1/2 cup kidney beans, 3 oz. turkey, 1/4 cup pecans, 1 tbs flax oil
M4 PWO shake
M5 1 chix breast with mushrooms, 1 1/2 cup cabbage

Breakdown: 1855 cals : 70 g fat, 116 g carbs, 195 g protein (that's 36%F, 20%C, 44%P)

HY: back away from my spotter and nobody will get hurt. tuttut
ec: I'm going to get in the tub now. Don't think about it too much. ;)

WillKuenzel
02-19-2003, 11:17 PM
You can have that spotter if you give me your diet. Collards, beans, pecans... :drooling:

bradley
02-20-2003, 11:38 AM
Cabbage and collards are outstanding in my humble opinion;) Have to have some pepper sauce though.

Relentless
02-20-2003, 11:48 AM
agree with bradley

I especially enjoy collards steamed with fresh chopped garlic and a bit of pepper. Mmm mmm good.

I couldn't eat cabbage like that though. I'd be all :fart:
:redface:

:D

You seem to be really hardcore. I'm glad you're on our boards.

Workhorse
02-20-2003, 11:54 AM
I know I'm going to get hacked on for this question... but what are collards exactly? :)

Relentless
02-20-2003, 12:21 PM
http://ca.essortment.com/whatcollardsgr_rjlx.htm

took me 30 seconds and a google search to find that. :p Come on, Workhorse. You can do your own work. ;)

There's no shame in ignorance, but laziness is inexcusable.

Workhorse
02-20-2003, 12:22 PM
30 seconds? Too much work for me... ;) lol thanks though, I appreciate it.

Sorry for the :spam: CG. :(

BennettBoy
02-20-2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Workhorse
I know I'm going to get hacked on for this question... but what are collards exactly? :)

Collards are DELICOUS. :D

Wash them suckers bout 10 times until all the sand and grainy stuff is off of them. Twist leafs up as tight as you can and take a very sharp knife and cut the leaf up in shoestring sized slices. Take a HUGE pot and put you some fatback in der. Then you fry it until it is good and brown and you got lots of grease in ya pot. Throw them der collard greens in da pot and add a small amout of water and let them cook down. Season to taste. UMMM.....UMMMMM. DELICOUS!!!! And real healthy too. :p

Southern traditions......you gotta love them.

p.s. Allow for 1 month time to pass for house to be devoid of terrible odor from cooking collards.....:cool:

bradley
02-20-2003, 01:45 PM
I just cut up a head of cabbage, throw in a can of fat free chicken broth along with a little extra water and bring to a boil and let that simmer for about 30 minutes or so. Also add in an onion.

A little Mrs. Dash and pepper sauce and your good to go.;)

carolinagirl
02-20-2003, 09:03 PM
How appropriate that I came in to post my diet for today! It's like vegetable recipe central around here. Excellent.

I'm gonna try that cabbage thing, Bradley. But the best cabbage recipe ever (cheat day or low carb cycle only!) is: fry up about 2 oz. of diced country ham in a big cast iron dutch oven over med-high heat. Add 1 chopped onion, then 1 knob minced fresh ginger, and then 1 head shredded cabbage; after a minute add about 1/2 cup of heavy cream - it doesn't need much. Let it cook down about 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. HEAVEN. Seriously. Try it. (It's the fresh ginger that's the magic, I think.)

Craig, your recipe for collards is the only right one in here. Don't anybody be fooled by Callahan's uber-yankee (no other word for a canadian - they don't come much more yankee than that!) version. (But thanks for calling me hardcore, Callahan - you really know how to sweet-talk a girl! Seriously, that made my night - thanks.) And Workhorse, you got to try them greens. Killer nutritional profile and lip-smackin' deliciousness all rolled up together. (But they do have a funky smell to them.) HY, you can totally have my diet (as long as you keep your greedy mitts off my spotter.) Sounds like you just need to learn to cook, then you'll be all set! ;)

Anyway, today was an off day from the gym. I was supposed to go running, but instead I got called in to work. (Really, truly, I did! No scolding, please!) I was really hungry today. I begrudged the flax and fish oils every one of those 500 precious calories. Dammit, that's a whole meal right there!!! Grr. (I've had a lot of DOMS this week, too; I guess I'm doing some major tissue turnover. Maybe that's why I've been so hungry.) (Or maybe it could be 'cause I dropped about 300 cals. Hmmmm...) But I do feel like the fat's coming off a little faster on 1800-1900, so I'm going to try to stick it out.

M1: 1 cup plain oats, 1/2 granny smith apple, 1 cup scrambled egg whites, 1 whole egg
M2: 1 cup nonfat cottage cheese, 1 cup steamed broccoli, 1 tbs flax oil
M3: 1/2 cup red beans, 3 oz. turkey, 1 small banana, 1 hardboiled egg, 2 cups dry Special K
M4: 6 oz. broiled salmon, 2 cups raw spinach leaves, 1/4 cup pecans, 1/2 tsp olive oil

M3 (obviously) is where I was really getting hungry. (It was spread out over almost 2 hours, so I really got 4 1/2 meals in, not 4.) I was craving carbs, which usually indicates low leptin, but it's only been about 3 days since my last refeed. Why are they getting closer together? I'm not THAT lean!!! WTF?

Right now, I am at 2135 cals.(!) Breakdowns: 83 g fat (12 sat, 24 poly, 28 mono); 189 g carbs (34 g fiber); 151 g protein. That's almost isocaloric: 38% F, 32% C, 31% P.

But now, again, I have no room in my cals for a before-bed shake (unless someone knows of one with negative 200 calories in it.) (I would TOTALLY buy that if someone invented it, btw.) Heck, the shake only has 130 cals in it - I may just go nuts and have it anyway. (That 4-meal day just doesn't look right to me.)

I'm taking TONS of fish oil (caps) along with the flax - maybe I should just dump the flax to give me a little more room to actually EAT. The whole point of the flax is the EPA/DHA anyway, and the fish oil has a better conversion rate.

Advice solicited on this matter.

Alex.V
02-20-2003, 09:15 PM
Ditch the flax. Not the best 3-6 ratio anyway.

*doesn't scold you in the least for not running*

carolinagirl
02-20-2003, 09:18 PM
That's exactly what I hoped you would say. :D

WillKuenzel
02-20-2003, 09:58 PM
I would probably applaud you for not running but that might not be what you want. LOL, cardio is overrated anyway. If I want to feel like I've done some cardio I'll go do some breathing squats. Legs feel dead and I want to puke. Its all the same thing.

If you really want to do some cardio, take up soccer. It gives more of a point to it. I used to scoff at soccer players until I started playing. Its brutal. Find a club team or intramurals. Might be some fun.

xraygirl
02-21-2003, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by HomeYield
I would probably applaud you for not running but that might not be what you want. LOL, cardio is overrated anyway. If I want to feel like I've done some cardio I'll go do some breathing squats. Legs feel dead and I want to puke. Its all the same thing.
That's funny. Anyone who says that weight training doesn't provide cardiovascular benefits has never done a set of heavy deads.

Franjipani
02-21-2003, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by xraygirl
That's funny. Anyone who says that weight training doesn't provide cardiovascular benefits has never done a set of heavy deads.

Yeahh, not wrong there.....Deads do it for me :nod:

I agree with Cal about you being hardcore CGirl.....lets hope some of it rubs off on me :D

BennettBoy
02-21-2003, 06:29 AM
Ditch the flax. Not the best 3-6 ratio anyway.

*doesn't scold you in the least for not running*

Hey, I'm using flax. Should I be using something different for my good fats? I also use natural peanut butter. Now I'm confused haha. :confused:

Workhorse
02-21-2003, 09:10 AM
Diet looks great CG, very impressive... keep it up girly!!! :D

carolinagirl
02-21-2003, 11:28 AM
Y'all, I love coming in here and finding lots of new posts! It totally makes my day. :D :D :D Thanks for reading it and for 'the advices', as Arnold would say!

Craig: the good thing about flax is that it contains omega 3 fats (as well as omega 6's, which are in almost everything). The body still has to convert the omega 3's to what we REALLY want, which is EPA/DHA fats. Fish oil has a much higher concentration of the EPA/DHA's. (I think flax has something like a 20% conversion rate?) Most people take flax b/c it's cheaper and you can take it in liquid form (bulk). You have to take more flax than you do fish (b/c of the conversion rate thing) to get the same amount of EPA/DHA. I just want to leave room in my calories to eat more real food, and the flax has 125 cals/tbs. I'm already taking fish oils too so I'm just going to bump those up a little instead. (Plus, flax tastes like the ass of a dead fish. Bleah.) You keep on with what you're doing if you're getting enough to eat and it's working for you!

Workhorse: I appreciate the kind words - I need all the encouragement I can get to stick to this 1800 calorie thing I'm trying...:(

Franji: :redface: aw, shucks! ;) I'm hoping that maybe some of your hardcore cardio-ness will rub off on me - now that would be a miracle. (Although, I have to say, running on the beach at sunrise actually sounds pretty appealing.)

Xraygirl: you and Franji are right about the deads. I think next week I'm going to do relatively light weight and push the reps - then I can count it as cardio! :p

HY: what are these breathing squats you speak of? You interest me strangely. However, soccer is out: I am horrible at team sports and for some reason I have a special prejudice against soccer (I think I mentally associate it with Europeans or something.) All the sports that I think are fun are outdoor-ish ones (tennis, swimming, waterskiing, etc) - when it gets warm I'll have NO trouble with the cardio thing. I just hate being outdoors in the cold and wet, but I hate the machines at the gym even more.

*hopes Belial stomps on treadmill after kicking it over*

Ok, here was today's workout:

OH DB press
1x8, 25's (anterior delts still tight from Weds. flyes)
1x6, 25's
1x 4.5, 30's (just couldn't get the last one past that sticking point)

Lateral raises
1x8, 20's, bent arms
1x6, 20's, bent arms
1x4/4, 15 drop to 12, straight arms
1x6, 12, straight arms

Rear delt isolation raises
1x10, 25's
1x8, 30's
These felt good - tight and strong. May move up next week. (Is the disparity in weights on the 3 heads normal or should they be more evenly matched?)

Pullovers
1x6, 45 lb DB
1x8, 45 lb ez curl bar (MUCH better with the bar)

Standing BB curl
1x6, 50
1x6, 45
Had to hitch it over the sticking point on the last rep

Concentration curls
1x10, 20, on each arm

Ab stuff
decline bench: 2x15 with 15 lbs; 1x12, 15 lbs; Round-the-worlds, 1x10, 15 lbs
v-crunches: 2x12 unweighted (total failure, yes siree)

Cool Thing: There was an old guy in the weight room today (and when I say old, I mean between 60 and 65) who was doing perfect squats with 245 (below parallel, even!), deadlifting, (first other person I've seen doing it in my gym. Haha, the only deadlifters are an old man and a girl. Not exactly a hardcore iron gym, huh? :D ) and doing the tightest, most beautiful power cleans I have ever witnessed. (He also hit clean and presses but I wasn't really paying attention to those.) It made my day - I decided that I, too, am going to totally kick ass when I am old.

carolinagirl
02-21-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Callahan
.I couldn't eat cabbage like that though. I'd be all :fart:

And, Callahan...

Girls don't fart. :angel:

Coke
02-21-2003, 12:17 PM
:fart: Oh don't they ever. :) You are doing fine I see. Keep up the progress ;)

fuzz
02-21-2003, 01:07 PM
CG: nice workouts!

I'm not Homeyield, but I know breathing squats. Generally, they are 20 rep sets of squats, done with a weight you can usually do 10 or 15 reps with. When you get up in the reps, you stop at the top and take a few deep breaths and then continue on. Its a "hardgainer" staple and pretty much makes you want to die. It also can put on mass on your legs like nothing else.

ectx
02-21-2003, 02:15 PM
... the good thing about flax is that it contains omega 3 fats (as well as omega 6's, which are in almost everything). The body still has to convert the omega 3's to what we REALLY want, which is EPA/DHA fats. Fish oil has a much higher concentration of the EPA/DHA's. (I think flax has something like a 20% conversion rate?) Most people take flax b/c it's cheaper and you can take it in liquid form (bulk). You have to take more flax than you do fish (b/c of the conversion rate thing) to get the same amount of EPA/DHA. I just want to leave room in my calories to eat more real food, and the flax has 125 cals/tbs. I'm already taking fish oils too so I'm just going to bump those up a little instead. (Plus, flax tastes like the ass of a dead fish. Bleah.)

I love a girl who knows her fatty acids. LOL. Impressive weights there Carolinagirl. Kuddos to ya.

carolinagirl
02-21-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by CoCoa
:fart: Oh don't they ever. :)

CoCoa: No, never. :angel: :angel:

Fuzz: Hmmmmm. I'm pretty sure I don't want to add any mass to my legs right now. How would a fairly light weight (125, 135, somewhere in there) work? Would it still serve the purpose?(Glad to see you here in the journal, btw!) (And also, you might like to know that I have a mad crush on Brak.)

ectx: you sweet talker, you. *blushes and bats eyelashes* A girl's knowledge of fatty acids is her crowning glory, you know.

Just popped in to post today's food.

M1 1:30 am: (I couldn't sleep, I was so darn hungry!) 1 cup nonfat cottage cheese, 2 TBS natty p-bo
M2 9 am: 1 cup nonfat cottage cheese, 1 baked sweet potato
11:30-12:30, workout
M3 12:30 pm: PWO shake
M4 2:00 pm: 1 chicken breast with mushrooms, 1 cup broccoli, 1 cup cabbage, 1/2 cup brown rice
M5 5:30 pm: 1/2 chicken breast, 1 cup broccoli, 1 cup collards
M5 and 1/2 7:45 pm: (really just a snack, but I was starving again) 3 hardboiled egg whites, celery sticks (I know, it's crap, but I was at work and choice was limited, and I didn't have many calories left.)
M6 10:30 pm: bedtime shake

I was hungry all day again today. I am turning into Mr. Grumbles about this, but I was a complete asshole all night at work because I was starving to death. (Plus, somebody brought freakin' chocolate for everyone and left it temptingly displayed all night!) Jeez, grouchy as I am right now (and I'm just cutting slowly!) - I pity the fools at work when I actually start to diet down for a show!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Anyhow, that may look like a lot of food, but it only comes to:
2037 cals
49 g fat
180 g carbs (32 g fiber)
220 g protein
23% F/ 31% C/ 46% P

Clearly, I'm having trouble with hitting the 1800-1900 mark. (But I feel pretty sure that maintenance is around 2300, maybe a touch more, right now - so 2000 isn't too bad, I guess.) And it is coming off quicker. I'm noticeably (to me, at least) more vascular in the thin-skin areas - and I saw a new vein in my shoulder today while lifting! So everybody's just going to have to put up with me bein' ill.

I'm off to have my bedtime shake (I'm actually anticipating it, and that's weird, because it tastes horrible. Man, I'm hungry!) and then to bed - got to work at 8 tomorrow. Goodnight!

Pup
02-22-2003, 05:59 AM
I pity the fools at work when i actually start to diet down for a show!!

...contest dieting is a brutal pain in the ass which tests the very limits of your temperment, but knowing that while you are eating minimal calories and doing seemingly endless hours of cardio; rembember this...it feels much better to be up on the stage saying "damn, i look good" as opposed to the girls in the audience who can't hold a candle to you thinking "i could look that good"...:)

carolinagirl
02-22-2003, 11:52 PM
Pup, I will read that over every time I'm having trouble with the @!$%* diet - thanks!

OK, here's today's. (I went out to dinner tonight so it's not too bad, considering. I should probably pack better stuff to take to work, b/c the meals I eat there always look more snack-ish than meal-ish. eg, 2 and 3.)

M1 7:30 am: 1 cup oats, 1/2 cup natural applesauce (unsweetened), 1 cup egg whites, 1 whole egg
M2 10:30 am: 1 cup lowfat cottage cheese, 1.5 oz. turkey
M3 2:15 pm: 1.5 oz turkey, 2 hardboiled egg whites
M4 4:00 pm: 1 cup ground beef, 2 cups broccoli
M5 7:30 pm: 1 cup nonfat cottage cheese (really just a snack to hold me over till dinner, which I knew would be late)
M6 9:00 pm: 8 oz. new york strip, 1 cup green beans, 1/4 cup coleslaw, side salad (with just vinegar for dressing! :angel: )
M7 1:30 am: bedtime shake, 1 tbs natty p-bo

Breakdowns: 2072 cals
81 g fat, 100 g carbs, (24 g fiber), 225 g protein
(38% fat, 16% carbs, 47% protein)

And tomorrow I may do a shortish refeed (about 6 hrs) starting after my workout.

Which will be leg day with Belial and Just Some Girl. If I never come back, y'all can assume that it killed me. :eek:

Franjipani
02-23-2003, 12:04 AM
Which will be leg day with Belial and Just Some Girl. If I never come back, y'all can assume that it killed me. :eek:

*gulp*

Was nice knowing you Cgirl :p

Alex.V
02-23-2003, 12:55 AM
We're so doing leg press strip sets.

Pup
02-23-2003, 06:11 AM
We're so doing leg press strip sets.

WillKuenzel
02-23-2003, 09:04 AM
Good luck is all I got to say!

carolinagirl
02-23-2003, 03:05 PM
OK, I made it out alive.

I didn't really write any of the workout down (I was too busy running my yap), and I have old-timer's disease, so I don't remember any of the specifics. But I do know there were squats involved (including a couple of sets of pause squats, which I had never done before. They rock. They showed the weak points in my squat form so now I know what to work on.) Also, some SLDL's and the dreaded leg press strip set, which I liked. :eek: Seriously. I liked it. I did it twice.
Of course, that was with only a little tiny bit of weight; Belial started with about a thousand plates. (His set didn't look like near as much fun as mine.)

I'm definitely going to be hurting tomorrow (I stiffened up nicely in the car on the way home.) And I got LOTS of ideas on what changes to make to my routine that can cure some form problems/lagging bodyparts that I've been dealing with.

In case anybody was wondering, the quotes in his sig are accurate - Alex really IS all-knowing and perfect!!! I would totally vote for him for president right now. Maybe even for dictator-for-life. (And that's not the endorphins talking either.) (At least, I'm pretty sure it's not - although tomorrow morning when I squawk out loud every time I sit down to pee, I may retract my vote.)

Thanks for all the 'advices', B - and, yeah, I'll admit it, you are a little scary. ;) (You're still not scary the other way, but the gym way, absolutely.)

Franjipani
02-23-2003, 03:27 PM
Thanks for all the 'advices', B - and, yeah, I'll admit it, you are a little scary. ;) (You're still not scary the other way, but the gym way, absolutely.)

Woooo hoooo !! I'm excited now :D :D :D

Glad you lived to tell the tale CGirl :p

bradley
02-23-2003, 04:38 PM
Sounds like an excellent session. Keep up the hard work:)

Alex.V
02-23-2003, 06:47 PM
lol @ a little tiny bit of weight. 6 25's per side isn't really tiny, considering the depth and duration of that set.

Very nice workout, though. Let me know what you decide to do with your leg day, eh? You definitely don't lack the technical expertise in any lifts, so it's really just a matter of what you feel you can handle week after week... you did say you had a tendency to overtrain. :)

I don't need the ego inflating on my sig, btw. I think I was LESS than coherent for most of the workout. lol.

And how on earth am I scary? I was social, I didn't turn red once, and I smiled a lot!

BennettBoy
02-23-2003, 06:53 PM
Sounds like you two had a great workout carolinagirl. Those leg press dropsets are murder. I plan to do one tomorrow. :D

carolinagirl
02-23-2003, 07:02 PM
And how on earth am I scary? I was social, I didn't turn red once, and I smiled a lot!

Not scary THAT way, scary the 1000 plates per side way!!!

And you did so turn red.

carolinagirl
02-23-2003, 07:10 PM
Thanks, Bradley!
Franji, I'm glad I lived through it. ;)

*pinches leg to make absolutely sure*

*yelps because legs are already sore*

Craig, :evillaugh

Just some girl
02-23-2003, 07:35 PM
looks like it was fun. im just sorry i missed it and meeting you. but hope you had a good time training with that big meathead. :D

ectx
02-23-2003, 08:00 PM

In case anybody was wondering, the quotes in his sig are accurate - Alex really IS all-knowing and perfect!!! I would totally vote for him for president right now. Maybe even for dictator-for-life. (And that's not the endorphins talking either.) (At least, I'm pretty sure it's not - although tomorrow morning when I squawk out loud every time I sit down to pee, I may retract my vote.)

Don't give the boy an even bigger head than he has...oy....It's already too big for Duke.

Looks like you guys had fun.

carolinagirl
02-24-2003, 06:34 PM
JSG: it was fun, but I had been looking forward to meeting you too. :( Next time, though! (Darn work.)

Almost - Doctor - Ectx: (I'll call you doctor all you want if you promise to call me it too - but you will have about 6 years to get used to saying it to me... :rolleyes: ) Naw, B's head fit through the doors just fine. (They were double doors, though, now that I think about it... ;) )

Man, I had a lot of energy today! I got up at 6, studied for a few hours, went to class, went to work, went to the grocery store (damn! it's expensive to eat clean. I never get out for less than $50 - today was $104.), worked in the yard for an hour or so, went running, cleaned the whole house, and cooked up a storm.

Whew. And it's only 8:00.

The run was pretty good. (It was about 65 and sunny here today - gorgeous. But tomorrow is going to be winter again.) However, it would have been great if the dogs hadn't been so freakin' rotten. They about pulled my arms off going in different directions, they tripped me (I fell down and skinned my knee :cry: ), and they tangled me up in the leashes.

New rule: from now on, only one dog can go running with me at a time. I lost all sympathy for the puppy-dog eyes while I was picking gravel out of my knee. :mad:

But I wasn't really out of shape or anything - I was glad about that. Ran about 10-15 minutes and walked the rest (about 15 more minutes; one of the dogs is fat and he couldn't hang). I could've ran 20-30 more minutes, no problem. (I was worried that I would be really cardiovascularly un-fit after taking all winter off, so I was quite pleased! :D )

I haven't done my food calculations for today so I'll post again once I do. (I really just couldn't wait to brag about FINALLY doing cardio!) (Oh, and just to make all you non-cooking fools out there jealous, right now I'm eating shrimp seared in olive oil with garlic, red pepper, and soy sauce over onions, peppers, and mushrooms. Delicious AND nutritious!) :D

WillKuenzel
02-24-2003, 08:03 PM
worked in the yard for an hour or so, went running, cleaned the whole house, and cooked up a storm. cardio, cardio, cardio... more power to ya

I lost all sympathy for the puppy-dog eyes while I was picking gravel out of my knee. I got drug around by our Irish wolfhound when I was little. Not a very cool experience. I had rock splinters for weeks. Brutus was a big dog.

Oh, and just to make all you non-cooking fools out there jealous, right now I'm eating shrimp seared in olive oil with garlic, red pepper, and soy sauce over onions, peppers, and mushrooms. Delicious AND nutritious!Not cool! Where's my plate? :D

BennettBoy
02-24-2003, 08:05 PM
WOW...slow down there babe, you got my head spinning from all that buzzin' around. :)

I'll give you a big :thumbup: for your cardio today, even though it does kind of sound like the dog pulled you around there a little bit. :D

Geez, I got to come over to eat with you soon. Sounds like you can do some really good cooking. Both healthy and good ole' country. But hey, if I'm coming....let's make sure we have the good stuff. ;)

Franjipani
02-24-2003, 11:06 PM
Man, I had a lot of energy today!...... went running,

Ohh errr, god forbid....who'd have thought that cardio would give you energy eh??? :p :eek:

I think all of you NC folk need some Franji-therapy:evillaugh

carolinagirl
02-25-2003, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by Franjipani
Ohh errr, god forbid....who'd have thought that cardio would give you energy eh??? :p :eek:

OK, smartypants, the extra energy came before the cardio!!! :p
(But you're right, I do feel pretty good today too...hmmm.)

carolinagirl
02-25-2003, 06:05 AM
Yesterday's food.

M1 1 cup oats, 1/2 apple, 1 cup whites, 1 whole egg
M2 3 oz turkey, 1 cup broccoli, 1/2 cup spinach
M3 2.5 cup raw spinach leaves with 1/2 tbs olive oil and 1/4 cup pecans; 6 oz broiled salmon; 1 cup turnip greens
M4 7 oz shrimp, 1 1/2 tbs olive oil, 1 green pepper, 1 onion, 1/2 cup mushrooms
M5 1 cup nonfat cottage cheese

Somehow I missed a meal but it all came out good in the end.
Totals:
1911 cal
96 g fat (13 sat, 18 poly, 44(!) mono)
87 g carbs (24 g fiber)
178 g protein
47%F, 22% C, 39% P

I'm off to traffic court in @#%$! Durham now (for the 5th freaking time). If they don't finally dismiss this ticket today I'm getting a lawyer - I'd rather pay a lawyer $300 than pay the lousy $100 fine at this point, because they done pissed me off. :) (Yes, I am working towards a doctorate in English lit. Can't you tell by my elegant diction?!?)

I refuse to be pushed around by The Man. :mad:

Workhorse
02-25-2003, 08:32 AM
Busy day, but sounds VERY productive. And yes, its super expensive to eat clean, everybody here knows exactly what you're talking about :D Good diet yesterday. Keep up the great work!!

Pup
02-25-2003, 04:35 PM
If you needed a good lawyer in say 4 years...i'd be your man.

Diet looks solid as usual, good work chica :)

PowerManDL
02-25-2003, 04:42 PM
Down with whitey!

carolinagirl
02-25-2003, 10:12 PM
Geez, I got to come over to eat with you soon. Sounds like you can do some really good cooking. Both healthy and good ole' country. But hey, if I'm coming....let's make sure we have the good stuff. ;)

BB: Definitely AFTER your show then. ;) Franji would kick my ass (and yours too) if I fed you all that stuff beforehand!

HY: Yeah, one dog is around 95 lbs and the other's around 80 lbs (that's the fat one, oddly enough. BAD body composition on that dog.) They're both pretty good sized - when we see another dog coming (the Akita's a fighter), I have to almost sit down to keep them from yanking me over.

Pup: Actually, it I wouldn't have surprised me if this had dragged out till you were done with law school! It's already been continued 4 times (corrupt, incompetent, stupid Durham DA's. grumble grumble.) - they finally dismissed it today. (I kept having to get my insurance company to send different letters saying that they had paid the guy who I hit - each time the DA changed some little thing that the letter needed to say. They couldn't tell me THE FIRST TIME what all it should say - nope. They apparently could only tell me to make one change at a time. :rolleyes: ) But it's over now.

Workhorse: thanks! But today's diet wasn't so great. :cry:

Powerman: I killed whitey. (Don't rat me out.)

OK, enough of this chit-chat. ;) I have to go write a paper, so I gotta knock out today's crap (and believe you me, crap is the exact right word for today.)

Lackluster, pathetic, and annoying back day:
I am in the middle of changing my split and routines (I will post questions about this tomorrow; I am desirous of suggestions on the matter) - so today I wasn't really sure WHAT to do. So this is what I did.

Bent BB rows
1x10, 80, OH grip
1x6, 90, OH
1x8, 90, OH

AS pullups
2x4, 55 lb assist on up, 0 on negative)
These really chap my ass! They don't seem to be progressing at all, and it pisses me off something fierce. (I actually kicked the machine when I was done. Just a little kick - more symbolic than anything - but yeah, I was pretty mad.)

Pulley rows
1x10, 70
1x8, 90
1x6, 90

Biangular rows
1x12, 45 on each side
1x6, 55 on each side

T-bar rows (because HY inspired me!) ;)
1x10, 45
1x10, 55
I'm sure I can do more weight than this; I hadn't done these in months and wasn't sure where I should start off. I had forgotten how much I like these!

Lat pulldowns
1x3, 100
1x6, 85 (there's nothing in between 100 and 85 on this stack)

Assisted pullups, round II
Yes, I'm stubborn.
Yes, I'm also stupid. If I couldn't get them at the beginning, when I was fresh, what did I think I was gonna do at the end? But I was still mad. So I tried them again. (It made me even madder.)
1x4, 70 lb assist
1x2, 70 lb assist
(There are LOTS of cuss words scribbled in my training journal about here. I won't transcribe them.)

Then I did some abs. Then I went to work.
*segue*
Speaking of work, some assclown brought a bunch of chocolate. Again. So I ate some. Because I was mad. So really, if I could do f'ing pullups, none of this would have happened. Anyway, here's the damage:
M1 7:00 am:1 cup oats, 1/2 cup raisins, 1 cup whites, 1 whole egg
M2 10:45 am: Lean Mass Matrix (cinnamon oatmeal. Mmm.)
M3 1:45 pm: 6 oz broiled salmon, 2 cups steamed cabbage
M4 4:00 pm: PWO shake
M5 5:15 pm: 3 oz turkey, 1 cup broccoli, 1 cup rice
M6 8:00 pm: 3 oz turkey, 1 cup cottage cheese
M7 9:30 pm: (this is where it gets ugly) 1 cup applesauce, 1 oreo, 3 big gummy animals of some sort (not bears, but I don't know what all they were supposed to be :confused: ), and 2 little york peppermint patties.

I know, it could've been worse. But I like it better when it's perfect!
Breakdown:
2642 cals
66 g fat (14 sat, 11 poly, 14 mono)
288 g carbs (!!) (26 g fiber)
235 g protein
That's 23% F, 41% C, 36% P.

Oh yeah, one more little baby rant: Tonight my ex-longterm boyfriend's family came in where I work - that's the first time I've seen them since we broke up. It kind of made me sad. :(
But, on the bright side, they freaked about how I look "fabulous". (That is so not the word that I would use to describe myself after all that candy, but whatever. It did make me feel a little better.)

Franjipani
02-25-2003, 10:31 PM
Definitely AFTER your show then. ;) Franji would kick my ass (and yours too) if I fed you all that stuff beforehand!

That would be an affirmative :nod: I'm keeping an eye on the both of ya now....

Great work Cgirl (apart from teh pepermint patties of course) it is indeed a great feeling when you are told you look "fabulous".... chin up though....you're moving on to bigger and better things....plus you have a new man in ya life now ;)

carolinagirl
02-25-2003, 11:03 PM
No, no, no - that guy really doesn't count. (Not in a mean way - it's just that we're really more like friends than anything else - it's hard to explain. :confused: )

And I'm actually much happier now than I was when I was with that man - I really love my life and the direction I'm going. It just sort of made me a little...wistful, maybe, or nostalgic, or something. I wouldn't get back together with him - but I still miss him once in a while. You know what I mean?

(Wow, reading over that, I begin to see why guys say us women are crazy!)

Shane
02-25-2003, 11:12 PM
No, no, no - that guy really doesn't count. (Not in a mean way - it's just that we're really more like friends than anything else - it's hard to explain. :confused: )

And I'm actually much happier now than I was when I was with that man - I really love my life and the direction I'm going. It just sort of made me a little...wistful, maybe, or nostalgic, or something. I wouldn't get back together with him - but I still miss him once in a while. You know what I mean?

MixmasterNash
02-25-2003, 11:14 PM
I am in the middle of changing my split and routines (I will post questions about this tomorrow; I am desirous of suggestions on the matter) - so today I wasn't really sure WHAT to do. So this is what I did.

Bent BB rows
1x10, 80, OH grip
1x6, 90, OH
1x8, 90, OH

etc.

Well, since I consider back my speciality (by which I mean that I am weak in everything else), I will jump the gun and answer your questions before you ask them.

Q: Am I doing too many sets?
A: Wow, sure seems like it. You're all over the place with exercises and reps.

Q: How can I train back in a manner totally contrary to everything I've read on WBB?
A: Pullups! And not these once a week deals that weightlifters seem to do. Do them every day! For a week. Then do them every other day at least. Repeat. Forever. Oh yeah, do an absurd amount every day too. It seems like you're getting close to full weight pullups. Keep cranking the assists!
Also, try doing higher reps (10+) with greater assists, and alternate that with heavy weight (lower assist)/low reps.

A friend of mine just started rock climbing last fall. When I told him it was time to do pullups AFTER climbing for an hour he looked at me like I was insane. Well, yes, of course, but... He couldn't do any and I basically had to push his ass up. I made him do pullups every time we climbed, and then some. 4 months later, he can crank 10 good pullups after climbing, probably 15 before.

I've cut my back days to deads, DB rows, and pullups. This combo seems to hit everything just fine. Also, after doing very heavy weighted pullups for more than a month, I have not seen any gains in pullup max reps, but power has gotten a bit better.

Good luck. Remember, back day is fun!

BennettBoy
02-26-2003, 05:40 AM

Hehehe....finally an honest woman. ;)

carolinagirl
02-26-2003, 06:02 AM
Mixmaster: Back day is fun. Yeah, yesterday was all over the place; it sucked b/c I went in having already ditched the old routine but before mapping out the new one. Dumb, but I was kind of testing out a lot of different stuff to see what I wanted to add to the new routines. The pullup ideas sound good - thanks! I'm going to buy a doorway bar for my house so I can try this 'every day' madness.

These questions are sort of actually aimed at Belial (he has a good sense of where I'm trying to get to right now and knows what form issues and lagging bodyparts I'm trying to fix with this routine change) - ANY input is welcome though. Really. I'd love to hear all comments, so weigh in.

I have been doing:
1. quads and calves (extensions, back squats, leg press, lunges; seated/standing calf raises)
2. chest and tris (bench or DB flyes, incline bench or DB flyes, pullovers; skulls/CGBP superset, dips, OH one-arm extensions OR a cable pushdown of some sort)
3. back and posterior chain (pullups, BB rows, conventional deads, biangular rows; SLDL's, glute-ham raises, ham curls)
4. shoulders and bis (DB military presses, prone incline rear isolation raises, lateral raises; bb curls, alt. incline DB curls)

2-3 sets, 4-12 reps (depending on the exercise) is my general working range.

I am dropping leg press (for the most part; I will probably throw in one of those strip sets I like so much now and then out of sheer hedonism) ;). Also dropping back squats AND conventional deads (gasp! heresy!) and replacing them with front squats and sumo-style deads. (I'm trying to take the emphasis off the lower back and shift it to quads, hams, and glutes.)

So I'm thinking that the sumos should move to leg day. Should leg day really become 'leg' day and not 'quad' day? Cause that sounds like a hellacious long workout, even dropping leg press, when you look at all the other hamstring/post. chain stuff. I may be a natural overtrainer, but even I quake in my boots at the looks of that bastard.

If I keep the sumos/ham day on a separate day, will it be bad to hit the quads so intensely (quad day w/ front squats, ham day w/ sumos) twice a week instead of once?

Also, I've always hated having a whole day devoted to small bodyparts (I mean, shoulders and bis? It's hardly worth going into the gym, for pete's sake!) So, as long as I'm essentially trashing the whole thing and starting over, I may as well try to get it PERFECT. :D What other split (I prefer 4-day but 3 is ok too) would y'all suggest that might avoid a 'sissy day'?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Oh, and Shane - :scratch: ?

MonStar
02-26-2003, 06:58 AM
I think that youll really like sumo-style deadlifts CG, great exercise. I think that most people feel them more in their glutes, hamstrings, and lower back than regular conventional deads. I agree too---that sumos should be on leg day. Good luck.

WillKuenzel
02-26-2003, 02:03 PM
You sound in a very similar fashion to where I am with my training. I'm looking to change things up and do my best to keep my volume low. Because of the heavy compound movements though I rarely train arms themselves. You might see some curls or something in my journal but I normally just give them a day to themselves every other week or so. Because it might be beneficial to the both of us I'll the routine I'm currently looking at.

Monday: sumo deads, bentover row, pull-ups
Tuesday: incline DB press, flat BB bench press, dips
Wednesday: dreaded rest day
Thursday: squats, SLDL, lunges
Friday: hang/power cleans, DB press, upright rows
and whatever those 2 other days are where i don't work or train... they seem pretty pointless

Since I don't train arms that cuts back on the volume and even though shoulders are a small group, I'll put some kind of clean on that day. Help to work out the legs after leg day and it hits the traps and shoulders pretty well. Maybe even high pulls and snatches every other week or something.

That's sort of where I'm headed. Maybe it gives you some ideas or not. I'll be interested in reading where you take it because you seem to like to train the same way I do and with the same exercises too.

carolinagirl
02-26-2003, 06:44 PM
MonStar: glad to see you, and thanks for the 'advices'!

HY: Your routine looks pretty darn close to what I think I'm gonna do, except I'm going to do a little more isolation stuff. Here's my tentative plan:
Mon: sumos/hamstring and posterior chain stuff (pretty much all the same exercises as normal)
Tues: chest/shoulders (ditto; dropping front raises and substituting upright rows)
Thurs: quads/calves (same as before but front squats instead of back)
Sat: tris/bis/upper back (same as usual back day but no deads, substituting pulley or T-bar rows instead; alternating between one-arm DB rows and BB rows each week)

We'll see how it goes.

I was gonna do cardio today, but it got really freaking cold again (shut up, all you Michigan boys - it's all relative, and I'm not used to it!!!), so I didn't. Also it is raining/sleeting or some such crap. I think this constant barrage of frozen wet stuff is direct from Saddam Hussein, or maybe Satan. Same difference, really; after all, Satan is Saddam Hussein's bitch.

Here's today's food. Not bad, but I'm not real excited about any of it today.
M1: 1:15 am: 1 cup NF cottage cheese (what can I say? I get hungry in the middle of the night.)
M2: 8:00 am: 1 cup oats, 1 cup whites, 1 egg
M3:10:00 am: 1 cup cottage cheese, 1 can tuna
M4:12:30 pm: 2 oz turkey, small salad, no dressing
M5:4:30 pm: 1 1/2 cups ground beef, 2 cups steamed cabbage
M6: 8:00 pm: 4 oz broiled salmon, 3 cups salad greens, 1/4 cup of dressing made with nonfat yogurt, horseradish, onion, and vinegar. (This was actually pretty good. By 'pretty good' I mean that I couldn't taste that vomitous yogurt taste.)
M7: 11:00 pm: before-bed shake

Breakdowns:
1881 cal
62 g fat (15 sat, 8 poly, 18 mono)
87 g carbs (18 g fiber)
231 g protein
32% F, 16% C, 53% P

Yah. There you go. I'm going to go write that paper I've been putting off for a long time.

*sigh* I can't wait till spring break.

BennettBoy
02-26-2003, 07:17 PM
carolinagirl, I got an idea. Why don't you go write this little ole paper you have been putting off for a long time. :D

And I agree...this weather sucks!

Isaac Wilkins
02-26-2003, 08:07 PM
All you people and your hippy sumo deads! :swear:

Nice lifting, girl! You've made a lot of progress!

:whip:

Workhorse
02-27-2003, 08:23 AM
CG, your diet looks awesome...very good ratios!!! Keep it up!!

*and don't take no crap from Craig...lol :D ;)

MixmasterNash
02-27-2003, 12:39 PM
[B]Mixmaster: ... The pullup ideas sound good - thanks! I'm going to buy a doorway bar for my house so I can try this 'every day' madness.

Rock on. I have a pullup bar over my bedroom door and I do a lot of extra pullups because of it. If only deadlifts were as convenient. An out of order response to the comment below: I wouldn't do pullups every day either, especially you're in the low rep range. But some climbers certainly do the equivalent of thousands of pullups a week, so there's a good spectrum of possibile methods. I definately felt wrecked when I climbed/trained back/ climbed/rested/climbed on sequential days, but I don't feel I lost anything from it. I think I gained some endurance and power actually.

conventional deads, biangular rows; SLDL's, glute-ham raises, ham curls

You're crazy. Deads and SLDLs are way too much for me to do on the same day. Maybe it's a good idea to switch to sumos because of that, but why not split those up? That's a lot of ham work too. Moving conventional deads might allow you to work your hams harder with SLDLs if that's a point of focus.

I do SLDLs on leg day; deads on back. I really don't see anything wrong with training the core back/legs twice a week. I don't go heavy for both days in one week, though.

Impressive work ethic, btw. And this weather REALLY sucks.

Alex.V
02-27-2003, 12:54 PM
I really wouldn't do pullups every day.

Normally I'm a HUGE fan of putting deads on their own day. HOWEVER.... you DO seem to have a pretty drastic lower back/quad imbalance. You do your SLDLs in such a style that the lower back stress really isn't too terrible, and your front squats are flawless. Now, if you're doing the modified sumos, with the narrower stance, you can probably hack those and SLDLs in the same day. The point is, fronts nail the quads, SLDLs nail the hamstrings, sumos finish off by being heavy on the glutes and hams, with some lower back.

A lot depends on poundages. I'd keep the front squats higher rep, (10-12), same with the SLDLs.. while the sumos are your power movement.

But your plan looks solid to me. :)

Franjipani
02-27-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by MixmasterNash
Impressive work ethic, btw.

:withstupi

You so got the Mojo hon :cool:

carolinagirl
02-27-2003, 09:15 PM
Craig: ok, smartass. I finally wrote it...this morning! Of course, it was just a first draft, so this is probably not the last bitching and moaning you will hear about it... And yeah, today was definitely not an outside cardio day. Bleah.

Borris: I HATE hippies. :mad: And my biomechanics are better suited to sumos. Belial said. So there. (I wish there was a smiley that was sticking out its tongue, because I would use it now.) But thanks for the kind words. (And the scary S&M smiley... :eek: :help: ) :D Y'all come back now, y' hear?

Workhorse: thanks! I am feeling better about it the last week or so - it's been a little easier to hit the new calorie target.

Mixmaster: As much as I hate those f*cking he-bitch pullups, I seriously doubt I would do them every day! :p But I would like to be able to do negatives at least twice a week at home, because I'm progressing at a glacial pace on them. :mad: Thanks for the 'advices' on the split - I'm actually dropping the conventional deads in favor of the sumos, not doing both! :eek: (That would be pretty hardcore.)

Belial: OK, I'm definitely going with that since you give it the stamp of approval. (And for some reason, I am absurdly pleased that you said my front squats were flawless!:D Thanks! ) And thanks for all your help. (You still doing heavy deads next Thursday? I'd still like to spectate if you are!) (I love to see that bar bending...)

OK, today was chest and shoulders. (I'm on the wrong dayfor my new split now - I'll do quads/bis/tris on Saturday and then I'll be all caught up and ready to start the new split on Monday.)

Flat DB press
1x12, 30's (warmup)
1x6, 35's
1x9, 35's

Pullovers
1x3, 55 lb BB
2x8, 45 lb BB
I wasn't really paying attention when I loaded the bar (running my yap) and I accidentally put 10 lbs more than I meant to on the bar. Hoo boy, that was heavy!

Flat flyes
1x8, 30
1x10, 30
I wish one of y'all was around to watch my form on these. Something's tweaking in my shoulder and I'm not sure about whether I'm doing them right. Should the dumbbells be out beyond the elbows during the whole movement (this is what I shoot for) or should the arms be sort of a 'c' shape all the time?

Cable crossovers
1x10, 40 lbs on each stack
1x8, 50 lbs on each stack
My chest could've easily done 60 or even 70 on each side, but my shoulder was ouchie because of the stupid flyes.

Upright rows
1x12, 30
1x8, 40
Actually made my shoulder feel a little better. Odd...

DB military press
2x7, 25's

Rotator cuff...rotations? I don't know. Thingies.
1x8, 12's
1x8, 10's
(These were to try to make my shoulder magically and instantly well. I think it worked!)

Rear delt isolation raises
1x10, 25's
1x12, 20's

Ab stuff
Swiss ball crunches: 2x10, 15 lbs
Round the worlds on ball: 1x10, 15 lbs
Rope crunches: 2x15, 70 lbs (I love these little bastards.) (You're right, B., I am psychotic.)

Nutrition: Very good today, if I do say so myself.

M1:8:00 am: 1 cup oats, 1 cup whites, 1 egg
M2:1:15 pm: (:eek: That's a long time with no food! I was all absorbed in writing that stupid paper and lost track of time.) 6 oz. broiled salmon, 1 cup steamed broccoli
M3:5:10 pm: PWO shake
M4:6:30 pm: 1/2 sweet potato, 1 cup cabbage, 3 oz turkey
M5:9:00 pm: 5 oz broiled salmon marinated in soy sauce, garlic, and fresh ginger, (yum!) 1.5 cup cabbage
M6:before I go to bed (so some ungodly hour): 1 cup NF cottage cheese, before-bed shake

Breakdowns:
1761 cals
51 g fat (8 sat, 10 poly, 11 mono)
130 g carbs (26 g fiber)
198 g protein
28% F, 25% C, 48% P

No rants or bitching or anything for today. WTF, you say? Don't worry, nobody kidnapped me and substituted some optimistic person with a good attitude. I just had a pretty good day today. (I'll probably be back to stressed and ill tomorrow, don't worry! ):D

carolinagirl
02-27-2003, 09:20 PM
Oops, I didn't see yours, Franj - it must have gone up while I was writing my usual massive tome.

"Impressive work ethic" sounds so much better than "incorrigible overtrainer"! :D (I even tried to find a hormonal excuse to justify my lust to overtrain, but Powerman squelched it pretty damn quick.

Party pooper.

Thanks, sugar! :p

PowerManDL
02-27-2003, 09:22 PM
I are teh party pooper.

Miss Rezza
02-28-2003, 02:02 AM

Nutrition: Very good today, if I do say so myself.

Breakdowns:
1761 cals
51 g fat (8 sat, 10 poly, 11 mono)
130 g carbs (26 g fiber)
198 g protein
28% F, 25% C, 48% P

Damn girl, those macros are freakin' purrrrrrrfect!! :bow:

Keep up the groovin' work hon!!

:dj:

bradley
02-28-2003, 05:39 AM
I perform the flyes with just a slight bend in the elbows. Pretty much like this guy is doing:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/PectoralSternal/DBFly.html

Workout looked good. How's the paper coming along?

WillKuenzel
02-28-2003, 07:25 AM
Don't worry, nobody kidnapped me and substituted some optimistic person with a good attitude. I just had a pretty good day today.It happens to all of us from time to time. All you can do is just mark it down and move on the next day. :p

oh btw... this little fella is the one sticking his tongue out => :p

carolinagirl
02-28-2003, 11:32 PM
Powerman: You are, indeed, teh party pooper. In fact, you /pwn party pooping.

Rezza: Thanks, girl! (But hold off on the :bow: until you see today's - there was ice cream involved!)

Bradley: That looks like how I've been doing them. Maybe I've just aggravated the tendons a little by increasing the weights so quickly - I know that the muscles can outstrip the tendons in strength.... hmm. And yes, I got the first 7 pages of the first draft done (that's what was due) - but seeing as it will probably end up being about 25 pages, it's a drop in the bucket. Thanks for asking!

HY: But that little guy looks like he's sticking his tongue out because he's so freaking cute and happy that he just can't hold it in. I wanted a grouchy, mean one that looks like he would be saying "Nyaaah nyaaah" if he could talk. (Kind of like Mr. Yuck from the old Saturday morning cartoon public service ads. Remember old Mr. Yuck? I loved him. *sighs* Good times, good times...)

Anyway, I'm tired as hell - just got off work and I have to work again tomorrow morning. Here's what I ate today. I am physiologically wanting refeeds so much more frequently lately - I guess partly it's a function of the fact that I do really short ones (less than 6 hrs, usually) and thus never fill the glycogen back up completely, and partly a function of the fact that I'm probably already a little below my setpoint. (Although my best guess right now is that I'm at about 20.5% to 21.5%, which is not really very low...goal is about 16-18%.) So anyway, today I was CRAVING carbs, which I only do when it's time for a refeed, but instead of doing it up nright I had a chocolate and oreo milkshake. And you know what? It was good as hell and I enjoyed every one of those 1000 calories and I don't even feel guilty! So there! (You just gotta be bad every once in a while.)

M1 9:30 am (slept late!): 1 cup oats, 1 cup nonfat cottage cheese
M2 1:00 pm: 2 tbs flax, 6 oz broiled salmon, 2 cups broccoli, 1/2 cup tiny tomatoes
M3 4:30 pm: 4 scrambled egg whites with 1 cup spinach, 1/2 cup mushrooms, 1/4 cup fresh salsa
M4 7:30 pm: 3 hardboiled egg whites, 3 oz. turkey, 1 cup yellow squash, 1 cup mustard greens
M5 9:00 pm: 3/4 cup hummus, carrot sticks, cucumber slices, celery sticks
M6 10:00 pm: milkshake (2.5 scoops ice cream, chocolate syrup, milk, and 2 smushed-up oreos. :D and :cry: !)

Total cals: 3044 :eek:
133 g fat (35 sat, 40 poly, 38 mono)
281 g carbs (44 g fiber)
198 g protein
Ratios: 41% F, 32% C, 27% P

Not too bad, considering the milkshake was around 1000 cals and FULL of sat fat and pure sugar.

Whew. I eat so little sugar lately that it made me real giggly for a while and then really relaxed and sort of dreamy and sleepy after that. (Hmmm, chocolate-and-oreo milkshakes apparently affect me the same way sex does. Interesting.)

Franjipani
03-01-2003, 07:12 AM
M5 9:00 pm: 3/4 cup hummus, carrot sticks, cucumber slices, celery sticks

Mmmmmm I'm a hummus freak :D

Ohh errrr, perhaps I ought to incorporate this chocolate-oreo milkshake thingi into my new diet....reckon ectx would approve??:p

BennettBoy
03-01-2003, 11:06 AM
So anyway, today I was CRAVING carbs, which I only do when it's time for a refeed, but instead of doing it up nright I had a chocolate and oreo milkshake. And you know what? It was good as hell and I enjoyed every one of those 1000 calories and I don't even feel guilty! So there! (You just gotta be bad every once in a while.)

[

If a milkshake is the worst you do when you are bad......you have absolutely nothing to fear carolinagirl. ;)

I had a Detour Bar today. :eek: First one in a week though....so I'm not worried either. I will still eat all my other foods too....Detour will just be an extra 300 cals today.

carolinagirl
03-01-2003, 04:58 PM
If a milkshake is the worst you do when you are bad......you have absolutely nothing to fear carolinagirl. ;)

Well, it was about half again as many cals as I should have all day - in one sitting! :D I think it was a pretty good blowout, myself.

But it looks like it did do the job of refilling glycogen stores - I'm up 4 lbs today and look smooth as hell, so I guess I'm holding some water from the carbs.

Isaac Wilkins
03-01-2003, 06:19 PM
Mmm... Milkshake...

:hump:

The milkshake, of course... :p

carolinagirl
03-01-2003, 06:22 PM
Franji, I love me some hummus! I just don't eat it very often because while I am cutting I am trying not to eat carbs and fat together, and it has a lot of both. :cry: (I was amazed when I saw how many carbs a cup of beans has! I mean, I know they're good carbs, but there sure are a LOT of them!!) When I get down to my goal hummus will be one of the first things I start to eat more regularly.

OK, here's today's workout. I kind of screwed it up - I totally spaced out on my plan and somehow started off with sumos. Today was supposed to be quads. *sigh* I am such a blonde sometimes that I even get on my own nerves. So here's the new plan: I will post the workout the way I really did it (:mad: ), and we will never mention this again. The sumos never even happened after today. I will start my beautiful NEW split on Monday, just as planned, and nobody will say anything about the same bodyparts getting worked again without much rest, blah blah blah. Because otherwise I will screw it up every time for 2 MORE weeks while trying to adjust for this blooper. Agreed? Great. OK.

Sumo deads
1x8, 135
1x6, 155
1x3, 175
The last set got a little sloppy - I leaned forward a little bit instead of sitting back, b/c I was getting a little tired and it's a slightly different movement than I'm used to. But I think these are going to work really really well for me! (You know, when I finally do try them.) :rolleyes:
Now: :zipit: about these. We're moving on now.

Front squats
1x8, 95
1x6, paused, 95
1x4, paused, 95
These are SO going to rock my quads. I'm still getting comfortable with them right now - they make me feel like someone is strangling me, the bar bruises my collarbone and front delts, and my wrists hurt b/c they're not really flexible enough for a good clean grip yet - so I didn't go for any real weight. But I will get them down, and when I do, I think my progress (and poundages) on squats in general is going to go through the roof. :D

Walking BB lunges
(1 rep=2 steps, 1 with each leg)
1x7, 135 (+20 lbs)
1x8, 115
1x10, bar only (stationary)
The first set felt less than perfectly stable b/c core and quads were a little fatigued from the squats, so I dropped back to my usual weight for the second set. Then some people got in my way, so I just did stationary ones with the bar to really finish off the quads.

Hammer Leg Extensions
2x8, 60
First set was nice and slow, especially slow negatives, with a long squeeze at the top. Then I thought I would probably die if I did it like that again, so second set was just regular. And I almost did die anyway.

Standing machine calf raise
3x20, +100 lbs on stack
First set feet neutral, second set toes turned out, third set toes turned in.

Ab stuff
1. Hyper bench crunches: (?) I don't know what to call these (I think reverse hyperextension is already taken!), but they are pretty much like...well, the reverse of hyperextensions. I lie on the hyperextension thing on my back with my feet hooked and my rear end barely on the pad. I drop all the way back (so my head almost touches the ground) and crunch up using just the abs to horizontal. Did this for 2x10 with bw only. (This one feels like a super-far-back swiss ball crunch. It's pretty hard; therefore I like it. As you may have noticed, I'm a glutton for pain!) ;)
2. Hyper bench situps: (again, ?) I start off on the bench in the same way, but do regular situps/crunches from the horizontal position up to a regular crunch position. (Yes, I know these work the hip flexors too. That's why I did 'em - my hip flexors are kind of underdeveloped.) Did these for 2x10, bw.
3. Hanging leg raises: 1x8 with knees (bent 90 degrees) pulling to chest; 1x6 with legs (more or less) straight, pulling up to an L shape. (Someday I will be as cool as Belial and will be able to pull my straight legs up until I almost kick the pullup bar that I'm hanging from. *sigh.* Someday.)

I am pretty tired. And I look like somebody has beat the crap out of me. I have long red drag marks up both shins and at the top of my knees (from the deads that I didn't do). A dark red mark all across the base of my neck and across my 'rack' (no, not that one, you pervs.) from the bar in the clean grip. Actual bruises on my collarbones and on the tops of my shoulders from the bar during the front squats and the walking lunges.

I look like I've been playing full-contact tackle football against a team of trolls and ogres with no referees. I guess I'll have to modify my game a little tonight if I go out. Even I am not going to be able to put the 'delicate flower of southern womanhood' bit over with these marks all over me.

I think I'm going to go soak in a tub full of scalding water. WITH bubbles. And then I'm going to get all prettied up and go out. I think I need a night of being girl-y after all this blood, sweat, and iron.

Maybe I'll post my diet later, maybe I won't. Depends on how drunk I get. :angel:

Isaac Wilkins
03-01-2003, 06:28 PM
My God. There were so many things I wanted to quote in that last post, but I have neither the time nor the fortitude.

Regardless: Awesome lunges! I feel you on the front squats. I'm still having problems racking them with a cross grip. I'd use a clean grip, but it tears up my elbows and wrists.

:thumbup:

xraygirl
03-01-2003, 10:24 PM
I have problems with front squats too. Because I'm only 5'1". Can't get the bar to sit right. But you've given me the motivation to try them out again.
Have fun tonight :thumbup:

Franjipani
03-02-2003, 05:26 AM
I look like I've been playing full-contact tackle football against a team of trolls and ogres with no referees. I guess I'll have to modify my game a little tonight if I go out. Even I am not going to be able to put the 'delicate flower of southern womanhood' bit over with these marks all over me.

*lol*

Bloody well done on the lunges girly :thumbup:. I had those same red marks on my shins the other day too.....it actually bruised me :eek:.

A nice warm bath with bubbles and candles will sort you out...Now, go and free some of that gorgeous feminine energy that is begging to be released...and Enjoy! :angel:.

carolinagirl
03-02-2003, 01:22 PM
Here's a little update that may or may not be of interest to everybody:

I'm really hung over.
And my ass is really sore from those lunges.

(I did have fun though.)

Borris: I'm hoping that as I continue to do them with the clean grip my wrists will get more flexible. I'm hoping that will happen pretty darn soon, because my wrists hurt like hell yesterday. Thank you for the lunge comments.

Thanks for the humpy too (even if it was for the milkshake and not me.) Doc used to leave me humpies in my journal. :( "he don't bring me humpies, he don't sing me love songs...anymore" [/barbra streisand & neil diamond voice]

Man. Am I still drunk?

[b]Xraygirl: I always thought I was doing something wrong on the front squats before. For some reason I thought maybe you weren't supposed to feel like the Boston Strangler was standing behind you working his mojo on your neck during each set. However, Belial said you ARE supposed to feel like that. So maybe that will help you get that bar in the right place - if you're about to pass out from lack of oxygen and you can only gurgle instead of actually talk b/c your throat is compressed, you're hitting the spot!

Franji: I didn't actually get my luxurious bath last night (I had to settle for a quick shower b/c my friends were hounding me to hurry up.) I think I will take one today though - it'll help with the DOMS and the hangover-induced self-pity. ;) (By the way, those bruises didn't cramp my style one little bit! :D )

Isaac Wilkins
03-02-2003, 01:25 PM

Borris: I'm hoping that as I continue to do them with the clean grip my wrists will get more flexible. I'm hoping that will happen pretty darn soon, because my wrists hurt like hell yesterday. Thank you for the lunge comments.

Man. Am I still drunk?

[

Good call. I don't think it's going to happen for me, so I'm working on my cross-grip. The balance is just funny.

I have a way with drunk girls. ;)

bradley
03-02-2003, 04:32 PM
Just for you:hump: ;)

and for good measure :spam:

Lunges can make routine activities a pain in the arse

Workhorse
03-03-2003, 04:16 PM
Sounds like you had a great weekend CG!! You gotta let loose sometimes, so no worries. Keep up the great work... I'll be watching for your next workout, hopefully coming soon... lol. ;)

carolinagirl
03-03-2003, 04:30 PM
Bradley:awww, thanks! I feel loved again now.

Borris: hmmmm. I'm not sure how to respond to the fact that you have a 'way with drunk girls'. So I'll just sort of let it pass on by. ;)

Upper back and biceps

Assisted pullups
1x8, 70 lb assist
1x6, 70 lb assist
1x4, 55 lb assist
These are still my nemesis. :mad:

Bent BB rows
2x8, 90 (one OH, one UH)

T-bar rows
1x12, 60
1x12, 70

OPulldowns
1x6, 100, to front
1x6, 100, to rear

Standing BB curls
1x3, 50 (still had a HUGE pump in bis and upper forearms from the pulldowns; these were MUCH HARDER than usual.)
1x8, 40

Alternating seated incline DB curls
1x6, 20's
1x3/6, 20's/drop to 15's

Ab stuff
decline bench stuff (15 lbs), 3x15
v-crunches (bw) 2x10
obliques crunches (bw), 1x10

The gym was crowded as crap so I didn't get to do some stuff I wanted to do. Also, due to multiple factors of water retention (one being that I'm a girl; another BIG one being the MONSTER carbup I did this weekend :cry: ) I was up 10 freakin' lbs on the gym scale today!!!!!!! Bleah!! And, my ass still hurts from the muhfuggin' lunges!!!!

But I did have some strange guy in the gym tell me that I looked really 'thick' and ask if I competed, etc. (Although today was not the best day for me to take 'thick' as a compliment...still, he meant it in the good way, and normally I would have been pleased. Today he was pretty lucky to not get a plate upside the head and a shrill screech of "are you saying I look fat?!?" )

That's all.

ectx
03-03-2003, 04:51 PM

Assisted pullups
1x8, 70 lb assist
1x6, 70 lb assist
1x4, 55 lb assist

They will soon be your biatch, though.

Your lifts are fantastic.

Smart and strong. *faints*

_-_v_-_
03-03-2003, 06:35 PM
Carolina,

Just looked at your sig; you are, without exception, the Coolest Girl Ever (TM). I love you.

Seriously. Waits is awesome. Glad to see someone else here appreciates him (which, per your sig, I assume you do. I'm probably wrong, though; I usually am.)

BennettBoy
03-03-2003, 06:38 PM
*gets up-to-date on cgirl's journal*

Realizes she has it all under control.

You are doing a really nice job there gal. Nice lifts, nice bruises ;), good diet, and now even gettin' into the partying a bit huh?

Ace!

carolinagirl
03-03-2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by ectx
They will soon be your biatch, though.

ectx: have I told you lately that I love you? ;) Suddenly I am confident that I will be owning these in a couple of months.

v: (it's too much trouble to replicate all those little lines, but you know I mean you!) yes, I am an absolute Waits FREAK. I couldn't possibly love him more. (Nice to see you here, by the way! I thought you didn't talk to girls. I feel all special! :D )

craig: yeah, the night of is always ace. The next day is more like 'ass' though. I'm still not 100%. (I think I'm too old for that kind of debauchery. We didn't get in until 5:45 am!!!) Never again. (famous last words.)

workhorse: I think I might have let loose just a little too much. And to top it off, on Sunday (peak hangover day) I...I have to admit it - I ate pizza! Lots of pizza! And ice cream! ALL DAY!!! So I think I'll be paying for this little 2-day toot for a couple weeks at least. :mad: :cry: tuttut :rolleyes: (I think that sums it up.)

Anyhow, here's today's food. (Back on the straight and narrow. More or less.)

M1 8:00 am: 1 cup oats, 1 apple, 1 cup whites, 1 whole egg
M211:30 am: 3 oz turkey, 1 cup lowfat cottage cheese, 1 cup mustard greens
M3 3:00 pm: 3 oz turkey
M4 6:00 pm: PWO shake
M5 7:00 pm: 6 oz broiled salmon, 3 cups steamed cabbage
M6 9:30 pm: 1 cup nonfat cottage cheese
M7 very, very soon: before-bed shake

Breakdown:
2087 total cals
59 g fat (12 sat, 10 poly, 13 mono)
134 g carbs (25 g fiber)
257 g protein
27% F, 22% C, 52% P

_-_v_-_
03-03-2003, 08:08 PM
I am an absolute Waits FREAK.

No pun intended, I'm sure :)

Seriously? That's amazing. And here I thought I was the only person in the world who actually liked the whole cookie-monster-on-steroids/psycho-carnival-barker/whiskeyed-balladeer-crooner/ thing. Hit me up on AIM sometime if you want (e has my SN).

As for not talking to girls: I guess sometimes I can make exceptions :)

carolinagirl
03-03-2003, 08:22 PM
This will freak you out even further: I passionately love Eliot, and
I think the Four Quartets are the most achingly lovely thing I have ever read.

Are we twins or something?

WillKuenzel
03-04-2003, 07:51 AM
M1 8:00 am: 1 cup oats, 1 apple, 1 cup whites, 1 whole egg
M211:30 am: 3 oz turkey, 1 cup lowfat cottage cheese, 1 cup mustard greens
M3 3:00 pm: 3 oz turkey
M4 6:00 pm: PWO shake
M5 7:00 pm: 6 oz broiled salmon, 3 cups steamed cabbage
M6 9:30 pm: 1 cup nonfat cottage cheese
M7 very, very soon: before-bed shakeDamn, I want to come eat at your place! Turkey, salmon, and even the veggies are looking good :eek:

*runs (actaully walk, no cardio) off to eat*

Tryska
03-04-2003, 08:11 AM
damn..all this time you've had a journal and i never read it. i'm sorry. :(

anyways, whilst it sucks that you are another person stronger than me, i definitely commend you on your routine, which looks excellent, and your strength. congrats ont he great work! :thumbup:

_-_v_-_
03-04-2003, 08:22 AM
I'm speechless.

Waits. Eliot. Female.

*dies*

As for "Four Quartets," I couldn't have put it better myself; they, along with (of course) The Waste Land, are my favorite poems.

Which Waits' album is your favorite? The earlier, lounge-crooner days? The sheer variegated brilliance of Rain Dogs? The darker apocalyptica of Bone Machine ?

I'm not sure I can choose one individual album; I just know that I prefer his post-Swordfishtrombones work to his pre-Swordfishtrombones work. I guess I'm a sucker for a freak show.

_-_v_-_
03-04-2003, 08:24 AM
And VERY sweet lifts, btw. I am impressed.

carolinagirl
03-04-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by _-_v_-_
Which Waits' album is your favorite? The earlier, lounge-crooner days? The sheer variegated brilliance of Rain Dogs? The darker apocalyptica of Bone Machine ?

I'm not sure I can choose one individual album; I just know that I prefer his post-Swordfishtrombones work to his pre-Swordfishtrombones work. I guess I'm a sucker for a freak show.

Mmmm, that is a tough one. I love him in all his moods, to be honest with you - but all for different reasons. I need to get me a CD burner and make my ultimate all-time best-of CD - it would have to have at least one song from every album.

I do love the really early lounge/acoustic stuff (a good heartbreak ballad gets me every time - Grapefruit Moon, Shiver Me Timbers - oh, and Invitation to the Blues off Small Change) Back in my angst-ridden college days I would sit on the floor in the dark and listen to them OVER and OVER and OVER. (Nothing like a good wallow in the slough of despond when you're self-consciously depressed! Ah, good times...)

I REALLY love the middle period - the lush orchestral settings against that cookie monster voice (that's a great metaphor, btw - I'm going to rip that off) are an incredible contrast. Foreign Affairs (Burma Shave RULES), Blue Valentine (Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis, Romeo is Bleeding), Heartattack and Vine (hell, all of 'em on that one)....

I probably listen to Rain Dogs and Swordfishtrombones (and Big Time and Frank's Wild Years, to a lesser extent) more often than any of the others. I find them a little more experimental and sophisticated (lyrically and musically) than the lounge/jazz stuff. (On my super-CD I will have: Shore Leave, Swordfishtrombone, Johnsburg Illinois, Soldier's Things; Jockey Full of Bourbon, Blind Love, Walking Spanish; Strange Weather, Falling Down ; and Yesterday Is Here, and Train Song.)

The most recent stuff is fantastic too - I love Bone Machine. (I [i]just got the 2 newest ones so I'm not going to venture an appraisal until I know them as well as I know the others: that is to say, like the proverbial back of my hand.) I really don't listen to much hardcore punk stuff anymore, though, unless I'm really really pissy, so these are usually only in my CD player when I'm feeling particularly raucous.

Whew, that's probably more than you wanted to know, but I rarely meet somebody else who is as big a fan as I am. (If I was going to be a crazed stalker-type fan of anyone, it would definitely be him - can you tell?)

_-_v_-_
03-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Nothing like a good wallow in the slough of despond when you're self-consciously depressed! Ah, good times...)

That's sig material right there.

Um, not that I would know how that feels or anything. Honestly. I swear. Just ask ec. I'm the most level-headed, confident, self-assured guy you've ever met. Really, I make James Bond look like Woody Allen.

To quote The Sports Guy (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/archive?columnist=simmons_bill&root=page2): I will now light myself on fire.

Alice and Blood Money are impossibly, inimitably, ineffably (and alliteratively! sort of) brilliant. They brook NO comparison with so much of the intolerable dreck called music today (Linkin Park anyone). Me? A musical elitist? Nahh. Never.

Well, maybe; but ONLY when it comes to Tom Waits. Then all bets are off.

I believe Strange Weather is found on Big Time, his live CD; but it can also be found, I think, on an edition of VH1 Storytellers (at least according to my search). Yes. That's right. VH1 Storytellers. Reminds me of when I heard Tom Waits over the stereo at a local Starbucks.

Tom Waits. Starbucks. VH1.

I will now light myself on fire.

Actually, it was oddly fascinating, kind of like a traffic accident near a crowd of pedestrians; that is, if by "traffic accident" you mean "flaming, fifty-car pileup," "near" you mean "into," and "crowd of pedestrians" you mean "Michael Jackson." Yeah. Kinda like that.

At first there was no reaction; it was merely another pleasant peace of background music, just innocuous, unnoticed noise, like muzak on Valium. There were lush orchestral arrangements, delicately plucked guitars, memorably-interwoven melodies, gentle percussive rhythms....Then Tom started singing.

Things got REAL quiet after that. Except, of course, for the little girl screaming in terror. I'm not kidding. It was like a switch: Tom Waits on; calm, peaceful, gentle little girl off.

I think it was about then that I stabbed my eyes out with a pencil. Or maybe it was when people started ignoring the music. Ignoring? Tom Waits? I'm ashamed to be human.

Anyway, per your opinions, I'm going to pick up some of his earler work, with which I sorely lack experience. All I know is that I can't get enough the later discs. Damned if I could pick favorite songs, though. They're all amazing.

carolinagirl
03-04-2003, 10:00 PM
HY: All lifters should learn to cook! It sure beats choking down can after can of tuna. ;)

Tryska: Hey, my journal is suddenly a lot more fabulous! You just skip around sprinkling fabulous dust wherever you go, don't you? Anyway, thanks for the props. (And glad to see you here - better late than never. I'm not proud. ;) )

V: I'm flattered! My first sig-worthy line. Sweet. I have Big Time, but that's a live album; I figured those tracks must be on a studio album somewhere. Oh well, I guess they're from the movie soundtracks or something. Bootlegs, here I come...

(At my work we have one of those crappy DMX things where each channel is 'continuous commercial-free music' of a different genre. My LEAST favorite channel is officially titled 'Coffehouse Rock' :eek: (I have dubbed it 'the whiny girl singer' channel - it's all Sheryl Crow, all the time. ANYWAY, they sometimes play Tom on that channel. On the DMX. On that crappy-ass channel. It's not worthy.)

Anyway, I got so engrossed in the TW conversation, I forgot to post what I actually came in to post. :redface: So, here's today's food.

M1 1:30 am: 5 tbs natty p-bo (Yes. I always get hungry at night. It sucks. What can I do?)
M2 8:00 am: 1 cup oats; omelet made with 1 cup whites, 1 egg, 1/2 cup diced zucchini, 1/4 cup diced onions, 1/4 cup sliced mushrooms
M3 11:45 am: 4 oz broiled salmon, 1.5 cup broccoli
M4 4:00 pm: 1/2 chicken breast, 1 cup stirfried zucchini, onion, and mushrooms
M5 7:30 pm: 3/4 cup nonfat cottage cheese, 1 can tuna, 1.5 cup broccoli
M6 11:00 pm: before-bed shake

Breakdowns:
1995 cals
82 g fat
96 g carbs (29 g fiber)
215 g protein
(40% fat, 14% carbs, 46% protein)

Not too bad. But I'm hungry as hell right now. :mad:

_-_v_-_
03-04-2003, 10:15 PM
Strange Weather:

A song written by Tom Waits and Kathleen Brennan for Marianne Faithful.

This random nugget of Waitsoterica has been brought to you by Google (www.google.com); Google, wasting America's time and money since 1998.

IceRgrrl
03-05-2003, 05:33 AM

Nothing like a good wallow in the slough of despond when you're self-consciously depressed! Ah, good times...

:thumbup: I like this line too...I can relate ;) Nothing like laying on the floor in your bedroom or driving around aimlessly listening to music and wallowing when you really need it. Some things you never grow out of.

Assisted pullups
1x8, 70 lb assist
1x6, 70 lb assist
1x4, 55 lb assist
[/B]
Hey, I hear you...we all have our natural strengths and weaknesses. Some people are just built to do pullups and some are not, so it's work, work, work for every little progression! Nice workouts though...keep up the great work :)

BennettBoy
03-05-2003, 05:45 AM

M1 1:30 am: 5 tbs natty p-bo (Yes. I always get hungry at night. It sucks. What can I do?)

You can eat natty PB right off a spoon? Girl I love Jif PB right off the spoon, but I can't do the natty that way. Wished I could though!

Diet looks really good. I just want to say I really admire you dedication and hard work. Damn, you got your stuff together.

:thumbup: :evillaugh

Tryska
03-05-2003, 08:01 AM
*lol* @ fabulous dust. (it's just glitter. ;) )

anyways, i think i may ahve to steal your diet. it's looking a lot better than mine at the moment, and definitely has the right stuff in it.

are you cooking it all yourself, like everyday?

carolinagirl
03-05-2003, 10:54 PM
V: and hereís a little TW trivia for you: Kathleen is his wife. (He gives her cowriting credit on a lot of his songs.) (See, I told you I was practically a crazed stalker!)

Craig: hey, thanks for the encouragement! (It means a lot coming from you - youíre the most dedicated. Youíre like the diet Jedi.) (Also, you may not have noticed, but on the days I cheat real big, I cleverly donít post the sordid details!) (And yes, right off the spoon. Sometimes I wish I was a guy so that I could bulk - Iím convinced that I could eat a whole jar in one sitting!)

Icer: thanks for visiting! I love company! :nod: Although (clearly) I am not one of your natural puller-uppers, I am determined to own them or die trying. (Itís still pretty much a tossup which itís gonna be.)
(And yeah, at 32, once in a while I still have to go out and drive around late at night on the countriest country roads I can find and listen to really sad music and feel totally sorry for myself. A lot less often than I did at 22 though! :D Thank God for the perspective that old age brings! ;) )

Tryska: yeah, I love to cook - always have. (I almost started a catering company last year, before I decided to go back to school - I just modified my cooking techniques some for eating clean.) I always cook up a storm the day I go to the grocery store - I chop and steam veggies, cook up a batch of chicken breasts, marinate salmon, prebake sweet potatoes, cook brown rice, etc. That way all I have to do later in the week is heat things up - it makes it a lot easier to stick with the plan 100% when youíre starving if you know itíll be just as quick to eat something clean as to grab something crappy!

OK, big news. I WENT RUNNING today. Yes, me. In fact, I ran my dog into the ground! :D We ran for about 20 mins and then he totally crapped out - I was pulling him along at armís length. So we walked the rest of the way (about 40 more minutes). I think we went about 4 or 4.5 miles. I told you guys I would be better about cardio once it got warmer out!

In a related story, I am going to bump my cals back up now that Iíll be doing cardio. Frankly, I am ****ing sick of being ****ing starving all the ****ing time. I donít think that 1800-1900 cals a day is enough for me - I shouldnít be that hungry, and my recovery times havenít been as snappy either. So Iím bumping back up to 2000-2300 a day to see if I feel better. I donít care if I lose slower - which I may not if I add in cardio 2-3 times a week. (After all, Iíve run exactly ONCE since I started this freakiní journal, and Iíve been losing fat the whole time. Granted, itís been slow, but thatís the best way, leptin- and setpoint-wise!) As long as I donít gain I donít care if I stay at this percentage for a while as long as I can eat. So, hereís what I ate today.

M1 12:30 pm: 2 cup nonfat cottage cheese, 1 tbs natty p-bo
M2 8:45 am: 1 cup oatmeal, 1 cup unsweetened applesauce; omelet made with 1 cup whites and 1 egg, 1 oz cheddar cheese
M3 11:30 am: spinach salad (2 cups raw spinach leaves, 1 tbs olive oil, 1/4 cup pecans); 3 oz turkey
M4 3:15 pm: 3 HB egg whites, 1/4 cup hummus, carrot sticks and cucumber slices
M5 5:45 pm: Ĺ chicken breast, 2 cup stirfried zucchini, onion, and mushroom
M6 9:45 pm: 1.5 cup nonfat cottage cheese, 1 can tuna; carrot/cucumber sticks with nonfat yogurt/horseradish dip

Breakdowns
2464 cals
87 g fat (16 sat, 17 poly, 24 mono)
160 g carbs
246 g protein
34% fat/ 24% carbs/ 43% protein

Today ruled. I am too small for all my clothes so I went to the thrift store and scored. I am now officially a size 6!!! Also, scored a fabulous blender at WalMart for $15. (The heavy Osterizer metal kind, with a glass pitcher, thatís at least $50 in all my chefís catalogues! Sweet. Frozen pina coladas, anyone?) So I am totally impressed with my shopping smoothness and finesse. Also my cardio smoothness and finesse. What a totally excellent day.

If I wasnít me, I would wish I was. :nod:

_-_v_-_
03-05-2003, 10:59 PM
That's what I've read. Some people were worried about that, thinking that perhaps she would tone down his music. Heh.

Take a look at The Black Rider or Blood Money; they're really toned down.

_-_v_-_
03-05-2003, 11:00 PM
Congrats on the weight loss!

Love your final quote, btw.

MonStar
03-05-2003, 11:08 PM
Congrats on getting down to a size 6! :thumbup::thumbup:

Dropping in clothes sizes is always a great feeling.

bradley
03-06-2003, 03:10 AM
Nice work carolinagirl;) Don't be too hard on the dog when you go running:)

Tryska
03-06-2003, 08:21 AM
w00t!!!

congrats on the size 6 girlie!!!

I used to pre-cook all my food too. I've really gotta get back in thathabit. that's all gone to pot since i started going out friday AND saturday ngihts. what's a disco diva to do. :(

Workhorse
03-06-2003, 08:25 AM
Way to go Cgirl!! A great cardio session, new clothes (at a size 6 yet!), a new blender... sounds like you had a wonderful day!! We all wish we were you too!! ;) :D

WillKuenzel
03-06-2003, 09:15 AM
I am too small for all my clothes so I went to the thrift store and scored. I am now officially a size 6!!! That just means you ain't been bulking properly. What's this losing weight concept? Doesn't the rest of the world want to get big like I do? :D

Seriously congrats though!!

But now running your dog into the ground? That's just too much cardio. But then again, even running to begin with is too much too. :p

carolinagirl
03-06-2003, 08:20 PM
V: Thanks - I still have a fair way to go (maybe 10 more lbs or so) - but I'm pretty happy with my progress! (And the final line is from www.maddox@xmission.com - quite possibly THE funniest guy on the planet. Check it out if you aren't already familiar with him. (Warning: he's a TOTAL misanthrope and an offensive bastard. I freaking LOVE him!!)

Bradley: Shoot, he needs the workout if he can't keep up with me! (He's gotten a little fat over the winter anyway. It's gonna be doggy boot camp around here.)

MonStar: Hey, glad you dropped in - and thanks for the :thumbup:! (And congrats on your big pull today too! 555, woohoo!)

Tryska: I know. The diva lifestyle doesn't lend itself to healthy and self disciplined, does it? (That's why I'm not a diva anymore.) (That and the fact that I'm too old and tired, and all my recovery systems are just plain wore out!)

Workhorse: Thanks - it was a pretty rockin' day. If only every day could be filled with new clothes and cardio... *sigh*

HY: Maybe one of these days I'll go on a little bitty bulk. :D It sure sounds like fun (especially since I've been cutting for like 14 months now! Ahhh, unrestricted food intake... :burger: :drooling: )

OK, today was deads and posterior chain. Pretty good one, too - it may not look so great on paper, but it was intense, and I'm pretty fried.

Sumo deads
1x6, 135 (warming up)
1x3, 185
1x3, 185
Not bad on the last set - didn't have anything left at all when I was done. Still adapting to this one, but I think I'm gonna love it.

Romanians
1x6, 135
1x8, 135
1x4, 135
Had a couple more in me on the last set but my grip completely failed - I almost dropped it. (But - no straps at all today, on anything! Wheee!)

Manual glute-ham raises
1x6 negatives, about 1/3 of a positive on 3 or 4 of them. (Hey, it's progress!!)

One-legged hamstring curls (plate-loaded Hammer machine)
1x7, 35, each leg
1x6, 37.5, each leg

Ham curls (both legs; same machine)
1x8, 70

DB shrugs
2x12, 20's

And a bunch of ab stuff.

The Department of Shameless Self-aggrandizement:
The biggest, best built guy in the gym (training for his first show) asked me today if I was planning to compete - he said I had a 'good base' and that I should do it. :D Sweet. :D :D

Haven't done the food yet today so I'll come back later and post it. (I have to hang around online for 89 more minutes b/c my slow ass dial up self is downloading some big windows update. So never fear, I'll be back!)

Mystic Eric
03-06-2003, 08:51 PM
V: Thanks - I still have a fair way to go (maybe 10 more lbs or so) - but I'm pretty happy with my progress! (And the final line is from www.maddox@xmission.com - quite possibly THE funniest guy on the planet. Check it out if you aren't already familiar with him. (Warning: he's a TOTAL misanthrope and an offensive bastard. I freaking LOVE him!!)

my god woman! you like him too?? I think I've fallen in love with you!!!

carolinagirl
03-06-2003, 09:28 PM
Ummm... :eek: !!!

OK, here's the food for today. What the hell's the deal here?? I decide to not worry about cals and I end up with below 1700 cals. That's weird, but...whatever. (I'm not complaining, I'm just noticing.)

M1 2:00 am: (:rolleyes: ) 1/2 cup nf cottage cheese, 1 tsp flax (yuck!)
M2 10:30 am: 1 cup oats, 1 cup whites, 1 egg
M3 1:30 pm: 1 cup nf cottage cheese, 1 cup cucumber slices, 1 cup carrot sticks
M4 4:30 pm: 1/2 chicken breast, 1.5 cup yellow squash, 1 cup cabbage
M5 8:00 pm: PWO shake
M6 10:00 pm: 1 chicken breast, 1 cup yellow squash, 2 cups cabbage

Breakdowns:
1675 cals (!!!)
48 g fat
123 g carbs (19 g fiber)
187 g protein
27% fat/ 26% carb/ 47% protein

The menu was a little repetitive today. I REALLY need to go to the grocery store !

MonStar
03-06-2003, 09:32 PM
MonStar: Hey, glad you dropped in - and thanks for the :thumbup:! (And congrats on your big pull today too! 555, woohoo!)

Thanks, appreciate it. Your deadlifts look pretty damn strong too! 185 for a triple is impressive, damn. Nice work. Droppin' clothes sizes and still stayin' strong.

Franjipani
03-07-2003, 01:13 AM
Today ruled. I am too small for all my clothes so I went to the thrift store and scored. I am now officially a size 6!!!

:thumbup: :clap: its the most Magical feeling....congrats girly !!! Great work.....and keep at that cardio... endorphines are good mmkaaaay :p

Tryska
03-07-2003, 07:57 AM
ummm..what's up with the 2:30am?

bradley
03-07-2003, 04:51 PM
Nice deadliftin carolinagirl:thumbup:

The Department of Shameless Self-aggrandizement:
The biggest, best built guy in the gym (training for his first show) asked me today if I was planning to compete - he said I had a 'good base' and that I should do it. Sweet.

Compliments are ace, and I am sure it was well deserved:)

carolinagirl
03-07-2003, 09:00 PM
Franji: Thanks - it is a great feeling! (Much better than growing out of them in the other way!) And I'm going to do cardio BOTH DAYS this weekend, I promise! (Hold me to that, will you?)

MonStar: Thanks. I'm actually still getting used to the modified sumos (I was doing conventional deads until a couple of weeks ago) - but I think once I get all neurologically adapted or whatever I'm going to go up in weight pretty quick on these - and on my squats too.

Tryska: My dog was having a fit and woke me up. (I was displeased.) But I always get hungry in the middle of the night anyway. It sucks, but there it is - and I can't go getting catabolic, now, can I?

Bradley: Thanks. It did make me feel pretty good. He's really one of the few people I respect around my crappy-ass gym anyhow, so that made it kind of special. :angel: It means pretty much zilch when the stupid people (some call them trainers) say things like that.

Anyhow...today was long, and I am tired. I just got home from work and I have to be back there in 8 hrs. My spinal erectors are just slightly more than pleasantly sore from the deads yesterday, and I was hungry like the wolf all day today. (I refed. Ahhh, carb heaven...)

Speaking of which, let's talk about the refeeds. If I had to guess, I would say I'm between 20 and 21% bf right now. That would be comparable to a guy at 12-13%, right? So how come I am needing to refeed so damn often? It's about every 3-4 days at the longest. Seems like at this level of bf it should be more like 5-7 days. What do you think? (I'm hoping to get some progress pics in the next couple of weeks - my training partner got a digital camera for his birthday - so maybe somebody who's better at this can estimate my bf% more accurately from pics and figure out what's going on.)

Here's the workout from today - fairly intense one. I felt good and strong going in (yay carbs!) - I got a new PR on bench (I'm still a total weenie on this lift, so don't expect much here) and also on DB flyes (slightly more respectable). Yay me.

Flat bench
1x15, bar only, warmup
1x6, 95
1x2, 115 (about 5 lbs of help off the bottom of the second one)
1x3, 105
(Also, my training partner got 315 today on bench; that's a PR for him too. And probably also for our crappy gym. Yay Greg too!)

Flat DB flyes
1x8, 30's
1x4, 35's

BB pullovers
1x6, 50
1x4, 50

Cable crossovers
1x7, 70 on each stack
1x7, 60 on each stack
Still tweaks my shoulder a little.

Dips
1x4, 1x6 bw, narrow grips (straight up and down to focus on tris - they were pretty much fried already from the benching; failed last rep of each set)
1x8, 1x6 bw, wide grips (leaning forwards some to recruit the chest, which, oddly enough, was much fresher)
Once I can get 2-3 sets of 8 on the narrow grips to rock bottom without any problems I'm going to start adding weight. :clap: Then I will be totally cool. (I mean, even more than I am now. ;) )

V-bar pushdowns
1x10, 80
1x8, 90
These felt ok even after the dips. I was standing there doing them and I noticed that the stack only goes to 150, and that I was already doing over half the stack. The day I can do the whole stack I will totally flip out and throw a big keg party or something. And all you guys will have to come. (I throw a hell of a party, btw.)

It doesn't look like much, but it was a pretty good one. I'll post the food later (I haven't done totals yet, but I have a feeling it's going to be pretty embarrassing. The demon milkshake done got me in its claws again today.)

carolinagirl
03-07-2003, 11:46 PM
Yeah, I did my cals.

M12:15 am: 1 cup cottage cheese, 1 tbs NPB
M28:00 am: 1 cup oats, 1/2 apple, 5 whites, 1 egg
M312:30 pm: (let the carbing-up begin!) 1/2 cup raisins, 1/2 cup skim milk, 2 cups Kashi Good Friends cereal (YUCK. I really need to go to the grocery store.), 1 cup unswt natty applesauce
M42:00 pm: PWO shake
M53:30 pm: 1 cup chicken in bbq sauce (no sugar or ketchup kind), 3/4 cup hummus, 1/2 pita, carrots, celery, cucumber
M64:30 pm: 1 pancake with 1 cup strawberries
M78:00 pm: A GIANT MILKSHAKE, with a smushed up oreo in it. I have PMS. This doesn't count as a meal, you say? **** off.
M812:30 pm: 1 cup cottage cheese

Breakdowns:
3562 cals
94 g fat
492 g carbs!
209 g protein
25% fat, 51% carbs, 24% protein

Brought to you courtesy of the Low Leptin Foundation for the Consumption of Ungodly Amounts of Sugar, in cooperation with PMS.

Mystic Eric
03-08-2003, 12:00 AM
holy crap. That's a hell of a lot of carbs!!!!

*stays away from the PMS lady* :hide:

carolinagirl
03-08-2003, 10:26 PM
Long, tired day at work. Here's today's food. (Lots of fat today; I ate a bunch of peanuts and that bumped up the totals quite a bit.)

M 1: 7:15 am: 1 cup oats, 1/2 apple, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 5 scram whites, 1 whole egg
M 2: 11:00 am: 3 oz turkey, 1 cup cottage cheese, 2 hardboiled egg whites
M 3: 2:30 pm: 1/2 cup hummus, carrots/cukes/celery sticks, 5 oz. chicken breast, 1 cup broccoli
M 4: 5:00 pm: 1/8 cup pecans, 1 cup peanuts
M 5: 7:00 pm: 5 oz chicken breast, 3 cups steamed cabbage
M 6: 11:30 pm: 1 cup cottage cheese, 1 tsp flax oil

Breakdowns:
2656 cals (damn the peanuts)
116 g fat (21 sat, 17 poly, 20 mono) (I don't think it knows how to count my fish oil caps here. Are they poly or mono, anyway? It sure knows how to count the cals on them - 200 cals a day to those bad boys.)
142 g carbs (36 g fiber)
252 g protein

42% fat, 17% carbs, 41% protein

Chicken breasts were buy one get one free at the grocery store today. Sweet. I bought about about 15 lbs worth. That should last me for a while.

Also bought some whole flax seeds. I'm not quite sure what to do with them - also they look really gross, like tiny shiny cockroaches. Do I just throw them in stuff or do I have to grind them up in some fashion first? Are they gonna taste like ass like most flax oil does? Do I have to keep them in the fridge? I'm not liking the looks of them at all, but hell, I'll try anything once.

Well, not anything.

_-_v_-_
03-08-2003, 10:45 PM
I'm fairly sure you have to grind and refrigerate them.

But, per your cockroach comment, I won't have to worry about their prepration ever again; I'm never, EVER, going to be able to touch those bastards.

Thanks. :)

bradley
03-09-2003, 05:27 AM
Fish oil is monounsaturated I believe.:) Seems like I have heard of people putting flax seeds on there salad but I have never tried this. The flax seeds sound....interesting to say the least.

BennettBoy
03-09-2003, 05:34 AM
What do you think? (I'm hoping to get some progress pics in the next couple of weeks - my training partner got a digital camera for his birthday - so maybe somebody who's better at this can estimate my bf% more accurately from pics and figure out what's going on.)

:evillaugh What do I think? I think some progress pics would be a PERFECT idea. :D

Hope you are having a great weekend carolinagirl. pssttt......I'm off to get my bodyfat checked bright and early this morning. Wish me luck. :angel:

carolinagirl
03-09-2003, 08:40 PM
V: sure, anytime. You got any other supps you were considering trying? I might could save you some cash! :D

Bradley: I put them in a ziploc bag and hid them in the 'deli meat and cheese' drawer in my fridge. (I don't get much use out of that drawer lately!) Anyway, that way I don't have to look at them (*shudder*) until I figure out if I want to ingest them or not. (I'm leaning towards 'not'.)

Craig: My slack-ass training partner is on vacation this week. We'll probably take some when he gets back. Then I just have to figure out how to make them get from the digicam to here.... I don't know the magic spell that makes that happen.(Technology is NOT my strong suit.)

Today kind of sucked, diet-wise. I knew I had to be in Raleigh all day, so I thought ahead and packed 3 meals in my little cooler, along with all my supps and 2 liters of water. Then I started to get dressed. And I mean get dressed - I had to get really dressed up for all my stuff today. It will probably come as no surprise to you guys that it took me longer I thought it would. I was running really late, so I dashed out of the house without getting the ****ing cooler. :rolleyes: Man, I'm a genius. And I was too late to turn around and get it. So I swung into a grocery store for M2 and 3 and went out to dinner for 4. So cals are relatively high. And my feet still hurt from those damn high heels. But at least I looked pretty good! :D

(Oh yeah - about that cardio I was going to do both days this weekend - um, that didn't actually happen. But I'm hoping to be able to get my ass out of bed at 7 tomorrow so I can go before work. And I'm hoping if I do get out of bed that I will have enough mojo to try out the HIIT....We'll see.)

Here's the food:
M1:1:45 am: 1 tbs natty p-bo
M2:7:30 am: 1 cup oats, 5 scram whites/1 whole egg
M3:12:30 pm: 4 oz deli turkey (YUCK), 2 cups supposedly grilled zucchini (questionable; I think this zucchini dish is where the soles of old Tevas go when they die.) *rimshot*
M4:4:00 pm: 1 sugar-free peach yogurt. (Yeah, it's pretty pathetic by this point. Also, the yogurt had been in the car since 12:30, and it was about 70 here today; it was all nice and warm and liquidy, and I had to drink it instead of spoon it up.)
M5:6:00 pm: 6 oz grilled catfish, salad, 2 cups turnip greens, 1 cup cabbage, 2 tbs oil (I'm overestimating the oil on purpose in order to cover what they used on the fish and on the icky zucchini as well)
M6:9:00 pm: 1/2 chicken breast, 2 cups frozen grapes, 1 kiwi, 1 baked sweet potato, 1 cup cottage cheese

#6 sounds kind of Franji-esque with the grapes and kiwi, huh? I just hadn't had fruit in a long time and these looked really good in the grocery yesterday, so I decided to splurge. (Liver glycogen needs love too!)

Breakdowns:
2562 cals
116 g fat (19 sat/17 poly/44 mono)
205 g carbs
180 g protein

43% fat, 28% carb, 29% protein

That's all.

Isaac Wilkins
03-09-2003, 09:07 PM
Liver glycogen is the devil! :swear:

Other than that, nice job sticking close to the diet while facing hard times!

:thumbup:

carolinagirl
03-10-2003, 08:41 PM
I was NOT into it today. Diet sucked - I decided yesterday evening to keep on carbin' till the workout today. I felt like **** all day. I feel like **** right now. Won't be doing THAT again - and the numbers are downright embarrassing. Also, I am almost out of supps and I have no time to drive to Burlington to get them - I had to improvise on the PWO shake today. That sucked, too. (Craig, remember when I told you that some people put dry oats in the blender and added them to protein to make their own MRP's? Yeah, well, it's ****ing gross. Don't try it.)

The workout sucked. There were stupid people everywhere. So many stupid people, not enough ammo. There was a couple using the ONLY squat rack. The girl was using 2.5 lb plates on the bar and the guy was using 2 plates and they did about a hundred sets and they had to strip and then load the bar every time. Grrrrrr.

Hammer leg extensions
1x8, 35 per side
1x6, 35 per side
1x6, 37.5 per side
Anyone else use the Hammer leg extension thing? Why would it matter whether you load the plates on the front thingy or the side thingy? And yet it does. They were on the front at first and it felt totally different and very heavy. Why is that?

Front squats
1x8, 95
1x6, 115
1x6, 115
These were rough today. The leaner I get, the more these hurt my collarbone (the bar seems to hit right on top of the little points in the front middle). Wrists still hurt like hell from the grip too. Ah well, they'll stretch out if I keep doing them. Or break. One or the other.

Stationary lunges , which I HATE. But the floor was littered with stupid people and I couldn't do walking ones.
1x8 each leg, 135
1x8 each leg, 115

Hack squats
2x8, sled weight only
The sled at my gym feels like it weighs about a million pounds. I put my feet high on the footplate (so that I sat way back into the motion), used a pretty narrow stance, and went down ATF. Felt pretty good. (Actually, objectively, they felt really bad, but in the good way. I'm a sick, sick little masochist, I think.)

Standing one-leg DB calf raises
1x15, each leg, 35 lb DB
1x12, each leg, 35 lb DB

Standing machine calf raises (both legs)
1x15, 100 (really really easy)
1x12, 130 (toes out)
1x12, 130 (toes in)
Can do more than this - 130 was still relatively easy.

Then some abs. Then home to clean the house. The Akita is blowing his coat, which means that he sheds huge fluffy clumps of what looks like cotton everywhere, all the time. I have to vacuum every day to stay sane. This lasts a month.

Diet breakdowns: (see, I am a masochist, or I wouldn't post this, b/c it makes me look like a total pig. My refeeds will definitely be back to 6-12 hours from now on.)

M1: 12:30 pm (my signature middle-of-the-night meal) 1 tbs flax, 1 tbs natty p-bo
M2: 9:45 am: 1 cup oats, 1 small banana, 1/2 chicken breast
M3: 12:00 pm: 2 hardboiled eggs (whole), 3 strawberries, 1 cup chili beans, 3 oz turkey, 1 cup cottage cheese
M4: 3:00 pm: (this is where it goes downhill :( ) 20 saltines, 4 cup dry Special K, 1/4 cup banana pudding (!), 1 small biscuit with honey (!!), 1 small scoop icecream with 1/4 cup hot fudge (!!!)
(After this I switched to low-GI carbs to taper off the carbup)
M5: 6:00 pm: (preworkout) 6 oz catfish, 1 sweet potato

I drank my shake all during the workout b/c the only protein powder I have right now is a slow-release blend (HSN Anabolic Driver) and i am also out of malto and dextrose. So I spiked insulin immediately before the workout with 1 cup OJ w/creatine in it, then drank 2 scoops of the Driver mixed with 1 cup dry oatmeal and water throughout the workout. It was very yucky but I think I kept the muscles fed at least.
M6: 7:00-8:00 pm: 2 scoops Driver mixed with 1 cup dry oats

Breakdowns:
3778 cals
101 g fat (24 sat, 26 poly, 33 mono)
476 g carbs (49 fiber)
216 g protein
26% fat, 49% carbs, 25% protein

Yeah. I think I'll go real easy on the carbs tomorrow.

Isaac Wilkins
03-10-2003, 08:47 PM
I often mix dry oats in with my protein. I don't bother to blend it, I just shake, let it sit for about a minute, shake again and gulp. It's not that bad.

carolinagirl
03-10-2003, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Borris
I often mix dry oats in with my protein. I don't bother to blend it, I just shake, let it sit for about a minute, shake again and gulp. It's not that bad.

Well, clearly, you're just tougher than me.

Also, the Driver really doesn't taste that great on its own, so I usually slug it back really quick. It's hard to do that when it has big clumps of grit in it, so it's double-nasty.

PowerManDL
03-10-2003, 08:53 PM
*eats journal*