PDA

View Full Version : Caffeine and Muscle Growth

Ritzol
01-27-2003, 06:53 PM
How much if any does caffeine hinder muscle growth. I've heard some people say the effects of caffeine are very detrimental while building muscle, and others say that it makes no difference.... so which will it be.

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-28-2003, 08:16 AM
It can sorta leech nutrients from the muscle cells, like potassium, but the dosages are what decides how significantly.

If you're only drinking a cup or two a day of coffee, then don't worry about it.

YatesNightBlade
01-28-2003, 08:26 AM
I've read it can spare on glycogen stores. Not sure about how the science of that works, but I remember reading it.

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-28-2003, 08:34 AM
Well, it's a fat mobiliser and stimulates adrenalin/noradrenalin a bit, so i suppose it may spare glycogen for aerobic activity, but when it comes to anaerobic (i.e. lifting), i doubt it'll do much.

PowerManDL
01-28-2003, 09:17 AM
It also stimulates release of Ca++ in the muscle, allowing it to increase contractile force somewhat.

MrWebb78
01-29-2003, 04:07 PM
it's also a diuretic which in my opinion isn't too smart to lose fluids while working out, aerobic or not.

Big J
01-29-2003, 09:34 PM
What about drinkin a gallon of tea a day? Is that a lot of caffiene, :alcoholic:, lol? What kind of effect would that have, anybody?

Another thing - Diet Pepsi. It's still a carbonated drink, but would it be ok to drink? What's the "carbonated" do to ya. Always heard it wasnt' good.

I'm just curious, becuase Diet Pepsi, Tea, Milk, & Water is all I ever drink. Usually just milk with cereal or protein shake. Water while I work-out or when working on the farm.

Comments would be appreciated.

BUFF STUFF
01-30-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Big J
What about drinkin a gallon of tea a day? Is that a lot of caffiene, :alcoholic:, lol? What kind of effect would that have, anybody?

I think thats what Mr T did & look at him!

Big J
01-30-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by BUFF STUFF

I think thats what Mr T did & look at him!

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

bradley
01-31-2003, 02:31 AM
If you are worried about the caffiene just drink decaf. tea. I can't tell the difference.

GIS
01-31-2003, 02:47 AM
I doubt caffein within moderation will do much harm. I take ripped fuel before workouts and I am making steady and great gains.

I think the biggest harm caffein can do to muscle growth is experiencing a crash. If you drink a big 'ol latte at noon and plan on working out at 2:00, once your body processes the caffein and you experience a caffein crash it might reap havok on your energy levels.