PDA

View Full Version : bodyfat calculator

hybridtj
01-28-2003, 07:51 AM
Does anyone know of a site that has a bodyfat calculator? There used to be one at a weight trainer sight that I had bookmarked, but now the site is gone. They must not have maintained it.
Anyways, on that site, they had a 3 fold and 7 fold calcutator, of which I found the 7 fold one the best. I would take my skinfold measurements beforehand and go to the site and type in the measurements. Then, the calculator would do the math and spit out my bodyfat. I found it a good way to keep track. If anyone has ever seen the formula for doing the 7 fold measurement, it is long and complex. If I can't find another site that has it pre-programmed, I guess I will work up a spreadsheet formula that does it. Thanks for any help.

YatesNightBlade
01-28-2003, 08:27 AM
Doesn't sound very accurate.

Berserker
01-28-2003, 10:16 AM
http://weightrainer.virtualave.net/7men.html
http://www.ag.uiuc.edu/~food-lab/ai/bfc.html

Body Density = 1.10938 - 0.0008267 (sum of three skinfolds) + 0.0000016 ( sum of three skinfolds)2 - 0.0002574 (age)

% Body Fat = (457 / body density) - 414.2

hybridtj
01-29-2003, 07:08 AM
Thanks for the link. This is exactly what I was looking for. For me I find the 7 fold measurement more accurate, for my wife the 3 fold seems to be more accurate. Don't know why. I always wonder if the % number is accurate, but one thing that does seem helpful is the change from one week to the next. Once you get consistent at taking skinfold measurements that is. I use this to try and keep track of lean body mass to see how much lean muscle I am gaining while on a bulking program. Then when I trim down, I can track the same thing to make sure I am not burning off too much muscle. Beats guessing.

Berserker
01-29-2003, 11:02 AM
I use the 3 fold cause the back seems hard to do yourself. I don't know how accurate my measurements are, I am looking for trends up and down, and I get that. I would like to get it checked proffesionally to compare.

Shao-LiN
01-29-2003, 11:45 AM
Simple caliper measurements worked for me.