PDA

View Full Version : NHE Questions



Moose
01-28-2003, 07:28 PM
Hoping some people who went on the NHE cutting diet can chime in here. I've ordered the book...but have a feeling it's not gonna get here in the "2 to 3 days" they promised. So I would like to get as much a grip on this plan as I can while I wait. I've read a few journals and NHE threads through searches, so I only have a few final questions.

I know Faigan recommends NOT counting calories, but there's no way I cannot count them. That being said, my theoretical maintenance calories is around 4200. I'd like to get around 3,000 calories on non carb-load days. After the initial 7 day adjustment period......I will aim for 320g protein, 40g carbs, and 175g fat.....which will put me right around 3000 cals. I plan on staying on this diet for 12-15 weeks.

My training schedule will be:

Mon - Legs
Tue - Chest
Wed - AM Cardio
Thur - Back
Fri - Arms
Sat - Day Off
Sun - AM Basketball


I'm wondering a few things.

1. Should I change my leg day (seeing I have sunday hoops)?

2. What did your grocery list look like while doing NHE cutting?

3. What supplements really helped you during NHE?

4. What was your overall impression of NHE.....and what were your results?

CBates
01-29-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Moose


I'm wondering a few things.

1. Should I change my leg day (seeing I have sunday hoops)?

2. What did your grocery list look like while doing NHE cutting?

3. What supplements really helped you during NHE?

4. What was your overall impression of NHE.....and what were your results?

To answer question 1, I'd recommend changing your leg day since Rob doesn't like the idea of training two days in a roll

To answer question 2, I pretty much based my diet off of tuna fish, olive oil, eggs, steak, lean ground beef, salmon, natty PB, and green veggies.

To answer number 3, vitamins and calcium supplements. An ECA stack may be useful too.

To answer 4, I started the diet around fall and was on it for about 5 weeks; I didn't see that good results, because I didn't do exactly what the book said to do as far as carb ups and type of carbs to use. I've been following exactly per the book the past 4 weeks now and I can tell already a big difference in my body fat levels. I'm sure 2 more months of this diet and I'll easily be in the single body fat digits.

Also, I know Rob doesn't give an exact amount of fat to take, but I think taking 175 grams is overdoing it. He states he's not going to give an exact number of fat grams to take, but do not over due it as well, and I think 175 grams is way over doing it.

bradley
01-29-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by CBates


Also, I know Rob doesn't give an exact amount of fat to take, but I think taking 175 grams is overdoing it. He states he's not going to give an exact number of fat grams to take, but do not over due it as well, and I think 175 grams is way over doing it.

I would say this depends on how many calories you have to take in each day. This is probably why Mr. Faigin left this out. The calories have to come from somewhere.

CBates
01-29-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by bradley


I would say this depends on how many calories you have to take in each day. This is probably why Mr. Faigin left this out. The calories have to come from somewhere.

Well, if he's going on the 'body builders' diet then that many grams of fat, but with taking in 175 grams of fat a day, that's taking in no less than 25+ grams of fat per meal, and Rob says to go moderate, I'm not seeing how 25 grams of fat per meal is moderate. Of course, my metabolism is way too slow to eat that many calories and lose body fat, maybe he will be able to eat that many calories and lose fat?

Moose
01-29-2003, 07:19 PM
Well.....I just got the book this morning. I read 235 pages today. This is an EXCELLENT book to say the least. Learned more about my body today than I could possibly imagine. Believe me.....I can't stand to read anything longer than 2 pages unless it's a sports section or magazine. You just want to know more and more. I only have 2 more chapters to go....which focus on excercise. I think I'll do that tomorrow.

When I wrote this post it was before I received the book. I now know the answers to most of the questions I've been wondering since ordering the book.

Moose
01-29-2003, 07:23 PM
Also....I am not doing the bodybuilders version. My main goal is to lose bodyfat.....and then I'll decide how I want to bulk.

Regarding my fat grams.........I was too worried about staying within 700-1000 calories of my "maintenance" before I got the book.......now I'm not so concerned.......not even gonna count calories (especially since my maintenance is 4200 cals) on this diet.

bradley
01-30-2003, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by CBates


Well, if he's going on the 'body builders' diet then that many grams of fat, but with taking in 175 grams of fat a day, that's taking in no less than 25+ grams of fat per meal, and Rob says to go moderate, I'm not seeing how 25 grams of fat per meal is moderate. Of course, my metabolism is way too slow to eat that many calories and lose body fat, maybe he will be able to eat that many calories and lose fat?

It just seems like a lot but it sounds as though Moose is a big guy so his calorie level will be significantly higher than say 175lb guy. Too much protein is not ideal and too many carbs are definetely not the way to go so that leaves fat as the only "buffer" to fill in those extra cals.

Moose
01-30-2003, 11:07 AM
That was my exact thinking Bradley....