PDA

View Full Version : My natty pb gets too hard in the fridge =<

Bryan
01-29-2003, 07:59 AM
:(

Its such a task just to spread it, i usually mangle my bread

Frozenmoses
01-29-2003, 08:05 AM
Buy some peanut oil and mix a little in there when it starts getting hard. Works like a charm.

Just some girl
01-29-2003, 08:06 AM
take it out and let the container sit outside the fridge for a bit first. or take out the amount you want and let that sit unspread on your bread for a while to soften, then spread it. or you could toast your bread so its warm and kinda melts the PB. or any combination of the three. :)

bigkevin20
01-29-2003, 08:11 AM
I have NEVER in my life put penutbutter in the fridge. I like it room temp. I thought every one put in there cabinet. Just like ketchup you know that people put that in the fridg also. A surprise to me. Two things that I think should not go in the fridg PB and Ketchup.
:offtopic:

Bryan
01-29-2003, 08:24 AM
mine says to put it in the fridge after opening

orbital
01-29-2003, 08:25 AM
I keep the peanut butter in the cabinet and the ketchup in the fridge :redface:

orbital
01-29-2003, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by Bryan
mine says to put it in the fridge after opening

Doesn't mean you have to. It won't go bad for decades if you don't refrigerate it, believe me.

Just some girl
01-29-2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by orbital

Doesn't mean you have to. It won't go bad for decades if you don't refrigerate it, believe me.

really?? natty pb doesnt really have to be refrigerated? well ****.....if thats true, mine's coming out of the fridge. im with bigkevin, i hate it cold.

bradley
01-29-2003, 10:33 AM
Mine will get pasty at the bottom if I don't mix it up well after opening. I always stir it up the best that I can when opening and then turn it upside down in the fridge. Seems to work better.

Berserker
01-29-2003, 01:55 PM
Natty pb says on the jar to put in fridge, it has no preservitives, like regular pb.

Berserker
01-29-2003, 01:57 PM
Some ketchup say to refrigirate after opening too. Same thing with your lemon/lime juices. Lot people leave them out but if your read the bottle. Hey they don't refrigirate mayonaise at the store, why bother after opening,(I was kidding).

orbital
01-29-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Just some girl

really?? natty pb doesnt really have to be refrigerated? well ****.....if thats true, mine's coming out of the fridge. im with bigkevin, i hate it cold.

My bad, I forgot he was talking about "natty" pb. I don't think mine is. Maybe that is why I can keep mine in the cupboard for years.

Alex.V
01-29-2003, 08:43 PM
Natty PB needs to be kept in da fridge.

GIS
01-29-2003, 09:06 PM
Yes, keep it in the fridge. It will be a lovely breeding pit for mold if you don't. Jiff and those cyborg peanut butters are chalk full of preservatives and hydrodginated oils that keep them safe in the cupboard.

Just turn the jar upside down in the fridge. The oils always rise to the top, so if it's upside down they will run to what is essentially the bottom of the jar when you turn it right side up during use. This will keep the PB softer.

Manveet
01-29-2003, 09:32 PM
I leave my natty pb in the cupboard:( I dunno, it's worked fine so far, it's kept at room temp in the stores.

Moose
01-29-2003, 10:02 PM
It's on the shelf in the supermarket because it's vacuum sealed.....once you open it up it is forever exposed to oxygen....and with no preservatives added......that's why you should refrigerate after opening

I have no clue if that's correct of not......but it's my theory.

GIS
01-29-2003, 10:24 PM
Peanuts are an organic material so they are capable of bacterial infestations. Obviously if people arn't refridgerating it and they arn't getting ill or can see any noticeable changes in the PB visually, through taste, or in smell, then you might be fine. I'd just reccomend refirdgerating it.

N4cer
01-29-2003, 10:25 PM
I don't refrigerate mine that I keep at work. It works just fine.

On a weirder note: I pour the oil off the top of mine as soon as I open it. There's plenty of fat within the peanut butter anyway. I don't need the over-saturated oil to mix in with it.

But then I'm trying to drop BF% now. So I can eat more to equal the same amt. of fats this way.

Madd Hatter
01-29-2003, 10:51 PM
Oh man, I've been having this exact problem the last few weeks. It used to be that I'd open it up, stir it up REALLY well, and it'd be fine until it was gone. Then it was getting rock hard after refrigeration. If you let it get back to room temp it gets soft again, but not for good. I've just been letting it sit on my toast for a while before spreading. If turning it upside down works, I'm gonna be so frickin happy.

GIS
01-29-2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Madd Hatter
If turning it upside down works, I'm gonna be so frickin happy.

Lol... happiness comes from the most unlikely places, huh? :D

It might not work well with a jar that has already been opened, because by this time you've already been scooping the oil so the oil-PB ratio is not very good. Try it with your next jar for the big test. It's still going to be hard... but you should at least be able to spread it better.

Sackattack
01-30-2003, 10:27 PM
Here's a story that will probably convince the non-refrigerators to conform. You all know the guy. Degsta is a normal poster here and also a good bud o' mine. Degsta would always have a natty pb sandwhich about 4 hours before bed, eat some eggs about thirty min before crashing. Wake up grab a shower, a protein shake and a bowl of cereal and head off to the gym. Almost everyday at the end of the workout he'd chunk. One day he ran out of Natty pb and wouldn't you know it breakfast stayed down. Till he got another jar. Finally figured it out.
Refrigerate=no see breakfast twice
No refrigerate=see breakfast again.

Manveet
01-30-2003, 10:42 PM
It's on the shelf in the supermarket because it's vacuum sealed.....once you open it up it is forever exposed to oxygen....and with no preservatives added......that's why you should refrigerate after opening

I buy mine in bulk, therefore it is already in a big ol bin where you can scoop it out from, not vaccum sealed. I've been keeping it in the cupboard all the time, haven't been sick yet:D

bradley
01-31-2003, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by Manveet

I buy mine in bulk, therefore it is already in a big ol bin where you can scoop it out from, not vaccum sealed. I've been keeping it in the cupboard all the time, haven't been sick yet:D

Just curious as to much you get at a time?

carolinagirl
01-31-2003, 04:36 AM
Bacteria, phui.

I never put my NPB in the fridge.

(And my little sister lived in Spain for a year - she said that there they always keep the open mayonnaise in the cupboard instead of the fridge!)

bradley
01-31-2003, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by carolinagirl
(And my little sister lived in Spain for a year - she said that there they always keep the open mayonnaise in the cupboard instead of the fridge!)

:eek:

rookiebldr
01-31-2003, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by Manveet

I buy in bulk as well - crunchie mmmmm. However, for some reason I do put in the fridge. I find it softens pretty fast for spreading on toasted bread or bagels.

Bradley: I've tended to buy it in smaller containers enough to have it disappear in 2 months or so. I adjust the size depending on how fast I'm going through it.

Berserker
01-31-2003, 11:03 AM
If your buying natural put it in the fridge. It may or may not hurt you, why take the chance?
Manveet-if your buying it in bulk and it isn't sealed in the tub, I doubt your buying natural. Look on the ingredinets "peanuts,salt." Anything else and its not natural.
I don't really care what you do, I just don't want someone surfing to read it.
Mayonaise in the cupboard? I wouldn't beleive that without seeing it. Unopened yes. Though when my grnadma went to Ireland she said they keep the house alot cooler. So maybe in the winter.