PDA

View Full Version : I dont eat enuf protein but is this to much protein

bigkevin20
01-29-2003, 08:34 AM
I dont keep up my protein like I should consistantly every day and I still get good gains. Anyway after the gym some days I may consume about 130 to 150 grams in one shot. Is that to much since I am about 210 thats more than half of whats neccesary. Example. This is what happend yesterday and this is not what I eat every day. Left gym had gods gift to the world DETOUR bar 32g driving home. Whey shake optimum 2 scoops 44 grams when i get home about 20 minutes later. " Always use 2 scoops after my work out and thats the only time i use it" and with that I had 2 cans of tuna as my dinner 70g and some yogurt just because I like it 8g. When I think about it 2 cans a bar and a shake does not seem like much but is it to much for one sitting. The rest of my meals threw out the day dont usually get that much protein per meal.

Calipso
01-29-2003, 09:35 AM
Supposedly the word around the gyms, the internet, and people who work out everywhere your supposed to consume either 1 gram, 1.5 grams or even in extreme cases 2.0 grams per pound of body weight. Even some people I have met who aren't professional body builders (Slyk Wagner Brown independant wrestler in New England) consume about 300 grams of protein a day, regardless of their body weight.

kook
01-29-2003, 09:53 AM
its a pretty debated topic in the medical field on how much protein can actually be utilized in one sitting(for muscle growth purposes, the extra cals will still be used for energy though) i think right now its somewhere around 35 g. but like most anything to do with ur body its all relative. if ur digestive system is in good workin order i think this number is bigger, 100-150g i think is alot at one sitting.

GonePostal
01-29-2003, 10:17 AM
Your not really eatting all that protien in one sitting.. how long is that spread out? Sounds to me like a few hours. Even it is about 1 hour apart that does not seem to excessive to me. Just make sure you drink enough fluids with it and you will be ok.

bigkevin20
01-29-2003, 10:26 AM
Yeah its all with in the first 45 minutes to an hour that I leav the gym.

bradley
01-29-2003, 10:36 AM
If you are still making gains then I wouldn't worry about it. The whey protein will digest quickly while the other protein sources will take longer to digest.

Berserker
01-29-2003, 10:59 AM
Well obviuosly you doing something right. But to me that seems alot protein in such a short time. How about throw some carbs in if your hungry. And if you really are that hunrgy, maybe not so bad. I have no facts to back up anything I've said.

NotSoBig
01-29-2003, 11:57 AM
Id have to say if you are still making good gains, then stick with it. You could always try a couple months of 200+ grams or protein and see what happens.

eclips1
01-29-2003, 01:14 PM
Its fine in my opinion to consume that much protien in 1 sitting. Your gonna see gains regardless, just knowing your history, with an excess of fat cells. Only thing that concerns me is if your not getting good sources of protien for the remaining 23 hrs in the day, 30-50grams per meals, 3-5 times a day. You wanna keep protien in your body. If you eat 130grams at once, then only get 50 more grams for the rest of the day, well that 130 is gonna get used wether by your muscles or as energy, then you still gotta get good amounts of protien spread out through the rest of the day to keep growing.

MrWebb78
01-29-2003, 03:56 PM
I've read quite a bit about how your body will use whatever amount of protein you give it, whether it be 75 grms a day, or 400. try 1.8 to 2 grms of protein per kilogram of bodyweight a day, fairly standard practice. too much "unused protein" would just be excess calories anyways right?