PDA

View Full Version : hit the wall...any tips?

jimlynch11
01-29-2003, 07:38 PM
ok so for about a year or so I had a pretty steady period of weight gain going...went from about 148 to roughly 185 now (not a bad gain for one year i dont think :D )

my problem is that for the last 2 months or so my weight gains have really tapered off, and i have actually increased my calorie consumption during that time, so im getting a little frustrated. my diet is fairly limited (im at college, no kitchen in the dorms) and i realize that my frame is alot smaller than what i would like it to be so i may be limited by genetic factors, but i figured it wouldnt hurt to enlist all of you to maybe help me out.

currently my typical daily diet consists of:
Day 1
Meal 1: N Large 2 shake ~ 800 cals and 60 g of protein
Meal 2: Beef Jerky ~ 350 cals and 50 g of protein, large glass of milk
Meal 3: 5-6 large Chicken tenders (unknown cals), orange juice
Meal 4: EAS Protein Bar ~ 210 cals and 25 g of protein, glass of milk
Meal 5: 4 pieces pepperoni and beef pizza (unknown), large glass of milk
Meal 6: N large 2 shake

Day 2
Meal 1: N Large 2
Meal 2: 2 pieces of pepp. and beef pizza, milk
Meal 3: Protein Bar
Meal 4: Chicken parm with ziti, large milk
Meal 5: 2 pieces of pizza

Both days ill snack on peanuts, some candy (oops), and cheese and crackers if i ever get the munchies.
I also take L-arginine and ZMA.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think and if you have any suggestions, Im all ears! THANKS

jimlynch11
01-29-2003, 07:43 PM
oh as far as training goes, im doing a 3 day split, going 5 days on and two days off...

Day 1: Chest/Tris
Day 2: Back/Bis
Day 3: Shoulders/Legs

im kind of limited by the fact i dont really have access to a gym on the weekends, so i lift all 5 days during the week. this is not the best system i know, but i wouldnt think lifting only 3 days a week would cut it...but you might have other opinions!

raniali
01-29-2003, 10:20 PM
there are 3 factors for growth in the gym:

EAT + TRAIN + REST = GROW

you have adjusted your diet already ... perhaps you need to consider adjusting the other factors. maybe training m/t, w = rest, th/f, sat/sun = rest. or even 4 on/3 off. remember, growth does not happen in the gym; it happens when your body isn't training.
also, are you doing cardio? taper that off as well.

jimlynch11
01-29-2003, 10:38 PM
dont do any cardio as of now. plus i get 8-10 hours of sleep a night. will doing fewer workouts hinder my progress from a strength standpoint?

raniali
01-29-2003, 10:59 PM
reducing your workouts by a day will most likely actually increase your strength gains. the more rest and recovery time between workouts (within limits), the more likely you are to come in stronger. it's not unusual for people to take a week or more off from training, then come back STRONG. that is usually a sign of over-training which you may or may not be experiencing. but changing routines, changing training tempo and schedule can be significantly beneficial in continuing to grow in the gym.

don't think that more training is always better. break your mold and try something different.

bradley
01-30-2003, 03:12 AM
I agree with Raniali, try varying you sets and reps and cut back on the training days. I would say recommend three but you can try 4 if you like. I know it is hard to stay out of the gym. Good work on the progress that you have already made.