PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is a bench shirt?

Behemoth
01-30-2003, 05:11 PM
^^^ Just like it says.

icanrace
01-30-2003, 05:25 PM
it is this tight tight ass shirt that allows you to bench like 50 or 60lbs (I think thats how much) more than your regular max. It really increases your max bench press quite a bit.

McBain
01-30-2003, 05:26 PM
a hella tight shirt some powerlifters wear to help with their bench.

Behemoth
01-30-2003, 05:26 PM
How can a shirt do that?

num
01-30-2003, 05:29 PM
I would imagine that its really stiff :P
limits flexibility and would act like a dampener for any weight

icanrace
01-30-2003, 05:31 PM
I don't know, but I know it is true. My buddy lost a bench press competition to a dude that had one.

Exnor
01-30-2003, 05:57 PM
whats it made of ?

Hercule
01-30-2003, 07:25 PM
A bench shirt is a VERY tight fritting shirt. You can get either a poly or a denim. The amount of weight that you can lift is dependent on the thickness of the shirt. A single ply will give you about 30lbs, a double will give you abtou 40-60, and a triple ply can add as much as 70-90lbs to your max.

Beast
01-30-2003, 08:57 PM
WTF? I'm totally confused. First, how the hell can a shirt give you a huge edge like that? Second, how the hell can a 14 year old bench 250??? :eek:

Manveet
01-30-2003, 09:11 PM
*buys a triple ply shirt

TiGeR AK
01-31-2003, 04:31 AM
if benching shirts can help you up to 70 lbs... why do they allow these in contests? Why can't they just ban the benching shirts, and have everybody's bench go down by 70 or wutever lbs??? it would even out... wouldnt it???

Santiago
01-31-2003, 05:33 AM
It already is evened out, because everyone is allowed to use them.

Also, there are no absolutes. Nobody in this thread is going to order a triple demin shirt and start breaking records, or even locking out the weight it would take to touch thier chest.

I personally am only able to bench with a pause about 5 lbs more in a shirt than I can touch and go raw.

benchmonster
01-31-2003, 08:54 AM
Triple ply shirts are for people who bench over 600 lbs. Double ply, you better be doing over 400 lbs. And the amount they add to your lift is not static from lifter to lifter. Some people get a ton of help out of a shirt, some don't get much of anything. It just depends.

Shirts are allowed in competition. They help you lift big weights, true, but they also drastically reduce the amount of injuries to the pecs and shoulders you would otherwise have with people trying to bench huge weights.

The shirt is very tight across the chest, shoulders and arms, and it takes a significant amount of bar weight for the bar to even get down to the chest. I have a double ply shirt right now that won't let me touch anything less than 500 lbs to my chest, and I don't wear my shirts particularly tight.

They are made by Inzer, Karen's Powerwear, Crain's, Titan and Frantz.

B.

icanrace
01-31-2003, 09:51 AM
Are they worth getting for your everyday bench routine?

benchmonster
01-31-2003, 12:30 PM
No, probably not. Unless you intend to compete as a powerlifter they are an unnecessary expense.

B.

Fenbay
01-31-2003, 01:18 PM
Hmmm...

If you are benching heavy and always seem to start running into shoulder issues as you approach the 400llb range I'm wondering if this might not be a bad thing to look into.

Speaking of that: is anyone aware of anything besides these shirts that add a degree of protection to the wussy shoulders for heavy lifts?

My pecks and tri's laugh at the weight that makes my shoulders cry. Not sure if it's just past injuries like a mild seperation playing ball or if most folks are this way. I know a lot of guys I talk to who lift about as heavy as I do whine about their shoulders.

benchmonster
01-31-2003, 03:06 PM
Anyone lifting 400 lbs or anywhere close to it, is likely going to be dealing with shoulder issues. A single ply poly will take care of much of the shoulder issues. I would go with open back tho, as this will make it lots easier to get in and out of.

B.

Hercule
01-31-2003, 07:16 PM
My bench is totally RAW. I don't have a bench shirt. I ordered one, but it is much to small.

DK
01-31-2003, 07:31 PM
I'm thinking about getting get a Inzer Heavy Duty Blast single ply shirt.

Does anybody know how well this one compares to others?

xpack
01-31-2003, 07:38 PM
As a 400 bencher,there isnt a workout that goes by where i dont have shoulder and tendonitis pains.I have never had ona shirt or took any gear.But after the 400# barrier.the gear and shirt would probaly be required to bench beyond 400.By the way..are there a lot of guys who have benched 400 without a shirt or never done a cycle?

orbital
01-31-2003, 08:12 PM
Why do bench shirts increase your bench upwards of 70 lbs? Benchmonster points out that they restrict the weight when it comes down but how does that give you more power to push the bar up? Is it that because you can't bring it down to your chest, it is an easier lift? :confused:

Ti1301
02-01-2003, 01:57 AM
I would like to see a picture of this miracle shirt.
Anyone got one?

howsertrading
02-01-2003, 04:32 AM
By the way..are there a lot of guys who have benched 400 without a shirt or never done a cycle?

dunno,but that is one of my goals since i have started training again just after christmas.

Ill post a clip of it if i can do it,but it will be a few months though.:D

PS.Im not sure if my vector 7 bench in my bedroom can handle it though,might have to go down the gym.(actually not sure if my body can handle it either):eek:

Santiago
02-01-2003, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by dkliewer
I'm thinking about getting get a Inzer Heavy Duty Blast single ply shirt.

Does anybody know how well this one compares to others?

You should get the fury, it's about the same price, and has gotten much better reviews.

xpack
02-01-2003, 08:43 AM
i HIGHLY disagrree with your quote abou gym lifts.I f you can do the lift without any help then itcounts regardless of the circumstances.

Hercule
02-01-2003, 09:34 AM
Not if your a powerlifter. Nothing counts unless you do it at a meet. Its a whole different ball game from the gym to the meet.

Santiago
02-01-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by xpack
i HIGHLY disagrree with your quote abou gym lifts.I f you can do the lift without any help then itcounts regardless of the circumstances.

Tell it to the judge, buddy :p

DK
02-01-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Santiago

You should get the fury, it's about the same price, and has gotten much better reviews.

I'd like to have it in about 2-3 weeks. I'm kinda worried about ordering from Titan because Latman and Adam have been saying they have bad customer service and after 14 weeks of waiting, Latman steal didn't have his squat suit.

I did look at the website though, and I can see the advantages.

t3k-
02-01-2003, 12:15 PM
bench shirts do not GIVE YOU anything. If your triceps are not strong...you will not get anything.

Behemoth
02-01-2003, 01:19 PM
A squat shirt? What the heck is that?

Hercule
02-01-2003, 01:39 PM
A squat suit is basically the same thing as a bench shirt. It looks like a wrestling singlet, but it is even tigher than a shirt. It takes 4 guys, half a container of baby powder, and 20 minutes to get mine on me. THey add pounds to your squat and deadlift. I havn't tested mine out yet, but I hope to get some big squat numbers.

Chris Rodgers
02-01-2003, 01:42 PM
Damn Hercule. I can get my squat suit on with the straps up and everything in probably a minute or two. Your suit must be damn tight.

GIS
02-01-2003, 02:05 PM
And people make fun of me for using straps for heavy deads when I'm trying to progress.

These bench shirts sound iffy unless you compete. For those who are currently benching less than 350-400 pounds and are looking at buying a bench shirt, why?? If your competeing that's one thing, but for bodybuilding I think you'd be better off just going naked.

I'd much rather say I can bench 250 1RM than 275 1RM with the aid of some special shirt.

Hercule
02-01-2003, 03:54 PM
Latty,
Yeh its REALLY tight. It is a double ply Inzer Champion. I have bruises all over my shoulders from trying to get the thing on..

Hercule
02-01-2003, 05:56 PM
Latty, is it okay to wear it for 5 minutes a day to stretch it out? or would that compromise the effects of it?

xpack
02-01-2003, 07:17 PM
I dont beleive in shirts.it is the shirt giving you the extra strenght ,not you.you are depending on a man made material to make you stronger.to me, this is the worst form of cheating there is.

orbital
02-01-2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by orbital
Why do bench shirts increase your bench upwards of 70 lbs? Benchmonster points out that they restrict the weight when it comes down but how does that give you more power to push the bar up? Is it that because you can't bring it down to your chest, it is an easier lift? :confused:

:redface:

chris mason
02-01-2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by benchmonster
I have a double ply shirt right now that won't let me touch anything less than 500 lbs to my chest, and I don't wear my shirts particularly tight.

They are made by Inzer, Karen's Powerwear, Crain's, Titan and Frantz.

B.

Ok, anyone who doubts that shirts help a lot need to read the above qoute. This is from a guy who competes. He cannot even lower the weight to his chest unless he has 500 lbs on the bar. Think about that. The shirt is creating enough resistance, enough of a opposing force to resist 500 lbs! If the shirt is creating that much resistance, it will aid in the press equivalently. Now, the shirt obviouslys offers the greatest benefit right off of the chest, and the benefit decreases as the bar gets closer to lockout. Of course, I have seen some shirts that actually cover the elbows, increasing the help. Anyway, back to the main point, if you need 500lbs on the bar just to touch your chest, the shirt is doing a lot of work!

xpack
02-01-2003, 07:38 PM
The shirt is not your true self.It is the shirt pressing the weight not you.If i bench pressed 500# and had to use a shirt i wouldnt be too proud of myself.

Hercule
02-01-2003, 08:33 PM
If everyone else at a meet is using a shirt, you would be a freakin moron NOT to use one. Its pretty hard to win a meet without even a basic squat suit or bench shirt.

Robert
02-01-2003, 08:57 PM
I think i'd consider it a challenge to actually be able to out bench someone who is wearing a shirt while i'm not.

Robert

Chris Rodgers
02-02-2003, 08:33 AM
The shirt is not your true self.It is the shirt pressing the weight not you.If i bench pressed 500# and had to use a shirt i wouldnt be too proud of myself.

Do you compete? Have you ever thought of competing? Can you even hold 400 lbs in your hand, let alone 500?

Of course the shirts aid the lift, nobody is saying they don't. It isn't magic though. You can't just put it on and lift 50+ lbs more than you bench. It takes a ton of practice, you need to alter your training to strengthen your lockout and speed so when the shirt assists you, you will be able to complete the rep.

chris mason
02-02-2003, 09:10 AM
My take on shirts is that if you are going to compete, and everyone else is using one, then you need to use one.

I prefer raw benching, but I have no problem with someone wearing a shirt when their competitors are.

Fenbay
02-02-2003, 09:34 AM
No one replied to my question. So lemme ask once more. Is the bench shirt the only option for additional shoulder support?

I'm trying to envision anything else that would help and I guess there really isn't anything.

If wearing a bench shirt would alleviate some shoulder injury issues I'm all for it. I am quite positive I can get 400llb natural without a shirt but my shoulder will pay the price.

Would a single ply bench shirt make a significant difference in the shoulder issues? Can some folks who have had experience with this psot about it.

I doubt I'll ever compete in powerlifting events, but I enjoy lifting as much weight as my muscle will allow. My wuss tendos and ligaments seem to be the limiting factor here.

On another note, folks wearing belts and the tight fitting whatever you call em shorts doing squats don't seem to get nearly the grief the bench guys do. I look at it as protective equipment not an "edge". I know I won't put over 405 on the squat bar without a belt on. Am I cheating? I digress!

Adam
02-02-2003, 10:51 AM
A single ply shirt should help a ton with your shoulder pain fenbay. If you can just get a used shirt or buy one o f the cheaper ones from inzer.

Chris Rodgers
02-02-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by chris mason
My take on shirts is that if you are going to compete, and everyone else is using one, then you need to use one.

I prefer raw benching, but I have no problem with someone wearing a shirt when their competitors are.

:D

Chris Rodgers
02-02-2003, 11:57 AM
Fenbay- I agree with Adam. An Inzer single ply blast shirt is $40. You could even cut the back open so you can slip it on yourself. It will give you support.

What is your bench style. I bench very low, basically to the upper region of the abs. If I try to bench above my nipple it wrecks my shoulders. Not sure if this is what you do, just something to think about.

Fenbay
02-02-2003, 12:11 PM
I pretty much go even with my nipples and always do a full bench. I also have a tendancy to be explosive with the weight. My arms are pretty long as well. I work out with two other guys and they both comment on how much more work it appears I have to do with my ROM than they do.

I have started using a more narrow grip and I think that has taken some stress off my shoulders. One of these shirts sounds like a pretty good idea if I want to keep going heavier and take care of my shoulders at the same time.

I'll post the results if I decide to drop the $$$ for one.

DK
02-02-2003, 04:13 PM
Hey Latty, what kinda shirt do you have?

The Titan Fury looks pretty good, but I heard you said something about bad customer support and a long wait. I could always get a Inzer.

Chris Rodgers
02-02-2003, 04:33 PM
I have an Inzer EHPHD and a Titan Fury. I get more out of the Fury, but the Inzer is very loose.

My best paused bench in each are:

Inzer- 255
Titan- 270

My next shirt is a double denim.

DK
02-02-2003, 04:53 PM
Sweet. I'll probably order a Single-ply Titan. I wish I could get it two weeks in time for my meet.

ElPietro
02-03-2003, 07:25 AM
I think some people are having problems realizing that powerlifting is a sport, and that this equipment is a part of it.

It has nothing to do with bodybuilding, so you can't apply the same values to it. All that matters is the amount you put up that is approved by judges using whatever you can within the limit of the rules.

So saying you prefer to bench raw in the context of powerlifting doesn't really mean much, since this equipment is part of the sport. It's like an outfielder saying he'd prefer to play without a glove, sure he could do it, but he wouldn't be as effective and probably wouldn't go anywhere in the sport.

benchmonster
02-03-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by ElPietro
I think some people are having problems realizing that powerlifting is a sport, and that this equipment is a part of it.

It has nothing to do with bodybuilding, so you can't apply the same values to it. All that matters is the amount you put up that is approved by judges using whatever you can within the limit of the rules.

So saying you prefer to bench raw in the context of powerlifting doesn't really mean much, since this equipment is part of the sport. It's like an outfielder saying he'd prefer to play without a glove, sure he could do it, but he wouldn't be as effective and probably wouldn't go anywhere in the sport.

This says it better than I could have done. Great post.

Oh, and Chris Mason, you are absolutely correct. The shirt I wear in a contest does help a lot. I don't know if I came accross as saying the shirt does not help. I did not mean to come accross that way. If I did, I was wrong. Shirts help you bench more if you know how to use them and train to aid in the parts of the lift where the shirt does not help, which is about the top half of so of the press, for me.

It takes about 500 for me to touch in my tightest competition shirt. The reason the shirt helps is that the shirt is compressing my body and squeezing my shoulders together on the way down. This has 2 effects. The squeezed shoulders do not tend to get hurt as often as they otherwise would, and also, your body tends to want to return to its former shape, thus helping you rebound out of the bottom of the press, which is by far the hardest part of the press when going RAW (shirtless).

And to whomever out there it was that thinks that going double bodyweight plus in the bench is not impressive merely because the presser was wearing a shirt, try to put 2.3 times your bodyweight on the bar and even hold it at arm's length with your elbows locked. I bet not many here can do that.

And the ones who can are rarely going to be the ones talking smack about it.

B.

Santiago
02-03-2003, 03:38 PM
this is the worst form of cheating there is.

How is it cheating, if it's within the rules of the organazition?

Because you say it is?

Nothing pisses me off more than statements like this.

What you're saying is absurd. To steal from ELp's analogy, saying bench shirts are cheating is like saying a baseball player using a mitt is cheating. Sure, he couldn't catch as many or as diffcult balls, and he'd hurt his hand without it, but legal=not cheating.

Now if you called someone that snuck a blast shirt under his t shirt at a raw meet a cheater, I'd be right there with you.

DK
02-04-2003, 07:02 PM
I'm gonna order the fury, but I was wondering if I should get the normal fit or the competiton fit. Which one?

Adam
02-04-2003, 08:04 PM
comp fit.
The comp fit is just a size smaller then the normal fit.