PDA

View Full Version : How much danger is there in eating raw eggs?

Behemoth
01-30-2003, 06:29 PM
Is it likely that you'd get salmonella?
If you do get it, how long does it take to recover?
Can cases of salmonella be potentially serious?

Sackattack
01-30-2003, 10:15 PM
Check out the Diet and Nutrition archives. There is an article entitled "Egg Epic" posted a year ago this Saturday. Good stuff. If you make it through that and still have questions check out www.aeb.org. From personal experience drinking raw eggs is an experience all on its own. Something to tell your friends about anyway. If you decide to go through with it mix 'em up first. Interesting tidbit: I saw a guy on television consume 36 eggs (I think, I don't want to do the guy injustice) in 29 seconds. He ronked and passed out shortly there after.
Thats as good as I can be to ya'.

Calipso
01-30-2003, 10:29 PM
Hmmmm good old food poisoning.

steveo
01-31-2003, 12:27 AM
Eating Raw eggs is a good way to loose weight

Berserker
01-31-2003, 11:09 AM
I am not advocating it. First I keep my fridge colder then most. I put them in the blender with milk and PB and varius stuff. Second I drink it right away while its still cold. I think temp is the key. Not saying you should do it, but lts of people do.

sweet-physique
01-31-2003, 12:24 PM
It's like the playing the numbers. The odds of getting a bad egg (given you know thew source and check the date on the carton) is a 1:10,000 shot. The rate I eat them, that means I'd run into a bad egg once a week.

I am the eggman kuku ka choo:D

restless
01-31-2003, 12:38 PM
It's a 1 in 30 000 chance.

Personaly, I only eat the ones that come from properly fed chickens raw mainly because they're high in oomega 3, the rest I boil, but leave the yolks still a bit liquid.

Berserker
01-31-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by restless
It's a 1 in 30 000 chance.

Personaly, I only eat the ones that come from properly fed chickens raw mainly because they're high in oomega 3, the rest I boil, but leave the yolks still a bit liquid.

Do you ask to see the chickens menu? I didn't know the could keep dietery logs. Do you have your own chickens, starve some, for boiling?

Ferdo
02-01-2003, 11:29 AM
I would doubt you would get sick, but I remember when i was doing this, only lasted one day, you will get uncontrollable gas. People in your house will banish you to death. Im serious, my father threatened to throw me out of the house it got so bad.

ryan1117
02-01-2003, 12:27 PM
That 1 in 30,000 chance means you would have over a 50% chance of getting it at least once if you averaged three eggs per day over the course of 20 years.

I know that is a long time and a lot of eggs per day, but I just wanted to point that out.

Praetorian
02-02-2003, 03:15 PM
why not just boil them?

restless
02-03-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Berserker

Do you ask to see the chickens menu? I didn't know the could keep dietery logs. Do you have your own chickens, starve some, for boiling?

I only eat the ones my grandmother gives me this way. The rest I cook, but the still leave the yolk moderately raw.

Behemoth
02-03-2003, 01:38 PM
why not just boil them?

Because I ABHOR eggs. I tried boiling them the other day, then blending them with milk and pb, then I coated my tongue with peanut butter so I couldn't taste it then I began to drink. Holy hell! DO NOT TRY! Maybe it's because the eggs were still warm when I blended them. But I couldn't get the rotten taste out of my mouth for like an hour:eek: .
I'll just stick to frying them and eating them quickly.

Paul Stagg
02-03-2003, 01:42 PM
Ugh. Blended hard boiled warm egg.

I make ceasar dressing using raw eggs. No biggie. Just keep 'em cold.

I don't suck down 3 raw eggs a day, tho.

PeaceBeWithYou
02-03-2003, 10:36 PM
Best egg recipe:

Scramble eggs

put some pepper on 'em

add maple syrup

*thumbs up*

Alex.V
02-03-2003, 10:55 PM
Best egg recipe: Wait for it to hatch.