PDA

View Full Version : Post workout shake..

ThreeD
01-31-2003, 01:59 AM
I'm currently 3 weeks into my massing cycle! Is there an ideal number of weeks for a massing cycle? 8 weeks? 6 weeks? Or does that depend on the individual gains during that period?

Also have a question about the shakes I'm taking post workout. When I'm done massing and start cutting, I'm going to switch over to a protein shake. Any good suggestions for a good protein shake? Some people told me a whey protein shake, can't remember the name of it though!

Appreciate all the feedback I can get!

GIS
01-31-2003, 02:28 AM
First off, most people refer to it as a 'bulking' cycle... not massing. :) Not that you can't call it that, but it might save somebody some confusion down the road.

I've been on a bulking cycle for, oh, 2 years now. How long you bulk usually depends on your goals. Most people who compete in bodybuilding will cut once or twice a year for big competitions, but that is also a very extreme cut. (Cutting=dieting to lose fat). Recreational lifters like myself will usually cut when they want to look good for the summer. If you balloon and get TOO fat from bulking, it might be a good idea for some people to cut and then bulk again. Case in point, there is no 'reccomended' time frame for bulking... it's just a personal preference depending on what their goals are.

Whey is usually the protein that people suppliment with. Soy is pretty worthless and inefficient for bodybuilding purposes and casein has a different metaboizing process. At any rate, a low carbohydrate, low calorie whey protein powder is best. Look at Optimum Nutrition Whey, EAS Simply Protein, or anything else you can find that has whey protein with low carbs.

bradley
01-31-2003, 02:28 AM
Just keep bulking until you are ready to cut. Some people cut when they reach a certain bodyfat and others cut when they reach a certain goal weight. There is no ideal time to length for cutting and bulking. The slower the better IMO.

Are you taking some sort of whey or weight gainer post workout during your bulking cycle? I would recommend whey with simple carbs whether you are cutting or bulking. Any 100% whey would be fine, along with dextrose for simple carbs. Optimum 100% whey is popular along with EAS Simply whey wich are both relatively inexpensive.

ThreeD
01-31-2003, 05:48 AM
I meant bulking hehe...was kinda stressed out when I started this thread, can't really figure out where "massing" came from :D

At the moment I'm taking Weider Mega Mass 4000 as a post workout shake! Was thinkin bout switching to a whey protein..

Thx for the quick feedback..

rookiebldr
01-31-2003, 06:24 AM
I would recommend not switching to a protein only for post workout. You will need the carbs after the workout. You can use a whey/low-carb shakes to supplement other the meals but continue to eat the whey/carb mixture post workout. If you've decided that there are too many calories in the mass 4000 then reduce the amount of powder when mixing.

BUFF STUFF
01-31-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by ThreeD
, can't really figure out where "massing" came from :D

At the moment I'm taking Weider Mega Mass 4000 as a post workout shake!

You must of got that "massing" phrase from your protien tub

Im with rookie on this and recomend u use the carbs & protein post workout & throughout the day when "massing" lol:p

and When you cut switch to pure protein and lower the cals

AstronautJones
01-31-2003, 06:27 PM
If it gives you any kind of idea whatsoever, I just recently ended my bulk, which lasted a total of about 6 months.

It just depends on how much mass you want to pack on in addition to how much adipose tissue (fat) that you are also putting on.

Shankerr
02-01-2003, 12:17 PM
I'm gonna be bulking for almost a year before I am done.. One small cut in there somwehere for about 4 weeks, and thats it....

As for the protein, post workout carbs are essential. I however manage to get around the extra fat and nastiness in alot of weight gainers and post workout forumlas by adding some maltodextrin to a regular whey powder! Works wonders!