PDA

View Full Version : powerlifting routine for beginner?

vnj
01-31-2003, 07:47 PM
i've been bodybuilding for awhile and would like to give powerlifting a try. i have been doing some research(internet, forums, monstermuscle) and it is somewhat different than bodybuilding. ie rep schemes, exercises, etc. i looked into westside training but do not have the equiment do be doing all those different exercises like bands and chains, sled, different squat bars. i do have free weights and dumbells, cables, pullup, dip, squat, and most bodybuilding equip. i am also having a hard time finding a good routine for a beginner that has never powerlifted before. Can anybody offer some help with a detailed routine. Thank you.

Hercule
01-31-2003, 08:34 PM
Well, go to my journal and look at my routine. It is very simple because all I have is a barbell, 300# of weight, a bench, and a power rack. Its simple for anyone, but it works great.

NateDogg
01-31-2003, 09:19 PM
Try Westside. You don't need all the extra equipment. Check out the first post in my journal for a great beginner routine.

DK
02-01-2003, 12:16 PM
Like they said, you don't really need all the extra equipment it helps, but you don't need it. You just have to improvise. It looks like you have about as much equipment as I do and I train Westside.

Here is what I used to start out with:
Basic Training Program (http://www.elitefts.com/documents/9week-training-program.htm)

Read all the articles you can at Elitefts.com (http://www.elitefts.com) and train smart.

Chris Rodgers
02-01-2003, 01:39 PM
How much experience do you have with the 3 lifts? You may want to start out for a few weeks of just having a squat day, bench day and deadlift day. Make sure your form is down and work your way up for a few weeks. If you feel comfortable, have a max day after 3-4 weeks. Then, use those maxes as guidelines when figuring out your routine.

vnj
02-02-2003, 01:00 PM
thanks everyone for all the response. it has been very helpful. i have been doing all 3 lifts in my bodybuilding routine. i have never maxed though. i will try some the routine and i have been reading elite fitness systems page and gotten a subscription to monstermuscle. i feel like a total beginner trying to get into powerlifting with all the different theories, stances, high set low rep, etc. but it sounds like it's a lot of fun and i cant wait to start. there is so much to learn. im also surprise that we have so many bros doing powerlifting on this board. thanx for the input.

Chris Rodgers
02-02-2003, 03:57 PM
I started strength training/powerlifting about 16 months ago. Before that I was doing mostly crappy BB routines from Flex, lol. I competed in my first meet in March last year and have competed in 4 more since then. It's very addicting and a ton of fun. Good luck with it and ask as many questions as you like.

Powerlifting=ace!!

Paul Stagg
02-03-2003, 08:14 AM
Spend some time working on form on your lifts.

I'd go with a 3 day (squat, bench, dead) routine, with accessory stuff in there (kinda like a bodybuilding split, more sets of the 3 main lifts, and less sets of the additional stuff).

Keep at that for a couple of months, and have someone check your form.

Then test some maxes, and figure out what kind of training you think you would like to do.

TMan
02-03-2003, 08:43 AM
I agree with Latman and Paul. One day for each lift. Here are some good one lift a day 3 day PL routines to get some ideas from:

http://www.purepower.iwarp.com/intermediate.html

http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/manrodt4.htm (look at the second routine in this article)

vnj
02-05-2003, 05:23 PM
i decided to go with tman's routines. i basically combined the 2. i am planning on working it into a 8 week periodization. i'm starting off with 8-10 reps and decreasing it every 2 weeks (6-8, 4-6, 3, 2) i felt that i was not ready for the 5x5. does that look right? also as i decrease my reps should i increase my sets? i was also wondering how long i should rest in between my work sets? thanx for everybody's help.