PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on this silly idea?

NotSoBig
01-31-2003, 09:32 PM
Well I am going to cheat and try to cut as much weight as possible, even if that means losing a little muscle. I want to get lean asap and heres that I had in mind.

- Stick with the regular WBB1 routine as usual
- Take in 1 gram of protein per lb of bw daily
- Cardio (HIIT) 5+ times a week.
- Major cut in my diet. (this is the silly part). I am thinking of just doing 1-2 meals a day for a max of maybe 1000 cals. I have lost fat in the past this way, and it didn't seem to jump right back on again without help from fast food. I was younger then though, so not sure what will happen.

My question: What will my results be from something like this? What should I expect? How much weight per day, how much muscle am I going to lose, etc? Pros, cons?

What can I do to make sure the fat doesn't come back after I do this? Im guessing the body will start storing fat at some point, but what should I do to reverse this? Is this idea completely off the wall, or will it work?

Advice is much appreciated.

Manveet
01-31-2003, 10:05 PM
Major cut in my diet. (this is the silly part). I am thinking of just doing 1-2 meals a day for a max of maybe 1000 cals. I have lost fat in the past this way, and it didn't seem to jump right back on again without help from fast food. I was younger then though, so not sure what will happen.

You'll lose the fat, as well as muslce, skin, bone etc. (okay I gotta kinda carried away there) But this is someting that I would not advise you to do. You'll just lose too much muscle and strength this way. Starvation diets are a big tuttut

Mystic Eric
01-31-2003, 10:40 PM
Pfft, i did one a few weeks ago and look where that got me... :hide:

NotSoBig
01-31-2003, 10:46 PM
Where did it get you eric?

There are actually 2 reaons why I want to do this. I want quick results, and I cannot afford to eat healthy right now. I have my fiancee and my daughter to feed, and even though I want to get fit, they come way before me. Eating 1-2 meals a day will not only help save money, but it will hopefully help me lose weight.

When I am done with this 2lb tub of protein, I won't be able to afford anymore for a while either. Id probably be better off just putting all of this off until I get my life straightened out, but I figured since I wouldn't be eating as much, and cant really affords the supps anymore, I could at least make the best out of what I do have.

So Ill be taking in around 1000 cals a day, what should I do to keep my body in the best shape possible while I put my body thru this?

Raj
02-01-2003, 01:17 AM
you are still starving yourself....

bradley
02-01-2003, 04:37 AM
If you can eat 2 big 1000 calorie meals then when why can't you split those up into four 500 calorie meals spread out through the day? As far as protein shakes and so forth you don't really need them other than convenience. Milk and eggs are cheap sources of protein. You can make it work if you put your mind to it. What type of foods where you thinking about preparing for your family? What do they like? Maybe we can help you come up with a good mealplan without you going on a starvation diet.

Frozenmoses
02-01-2003, 07:30 AM
At 190, you need to be eating around 2200-2300 cals for cutting, bro. We all want quick results, but quick results are often misleading, and can end up f*cking you up. If you eat 1k cals, you're going to see results, I promise. You will start to get lean, and then you will stop. The weight loss will continue for a while, and you'll wonder how you're losing weight but you aren't seeing results. That's your muscle being cannibalized. Eventually weightloss will stagnate altogether. You'll end up skinnyfat. That's what I was (and still am to a certain extent) 7 months ago.

Clothed, you look like a toothpick bastard with probably washboard abs and definition all over the place. Take off that shirt, and your still the fat guy you were before, just way out of proportion. Your bodyfat % is still high, and to top it all off, you have nowhere near as much muscle as you did before. Summation: Starvation diets SUCK. Eat at least 2k calories a day. You want to lose, but you don't want to lose too fast. TRUST ME, I'VE BEEN THERE. If you want to be the next skinnyfat, then eat 1000 cals.

_-_v_-_
02-01-2003, 08:29 AM
Trust me. You don't want to see what that kind of diet can do to your hormonal profile.

JD77
02-01-2003, 12:08 PM
Bad idea. Tuna and eggs are so cheap, there's no need for supps.

Shankerr
02-01-2003, 12:14 PM
thats a silly idea, silly!!!

haha, you're gonna lose to much muscle that way mate, take a cut slow and do it right, you'll be thankful in the end!

fuzz
02-01-2003, 01:04 PM
I agree with all the above - if you need to save money, simply say fvck you to your taste buds and get tuna, milk, and eggs. All very cheap, convienant sources of protein. If you want to cut fast, drop about 250 cals a week while doing whole body workouts 3 times a week. That will help maintain your muscle because they are getting hit so frequently, and you'll also be burning more calories due to the whole body being worked. You'll have to limit volume, of course, to keep from overtraining.

raniali
02-03-2003, 11:54 AM
everyone has voiced my sentiments about starvation diets but i have one more point to offer:

if your fiance and daughter come first, how are you going to support them when you are in the hospital with feeding tubes shoved in you? that may seem drastic, but you will NOT have the body you desire. additionally, you are only asking for health trouble because your immune system will be so weakened from excess exercise combined with inadequate nutrition. top that with an irritated mental state from starving and missing your physical goals. if you don't owe it to yourself, at least owe it to those 2 girls and learn to diet properly.

IceRgrrl
02-03-2003, 12:18 PM
What they said....really. 1000 cals a day is asking for trouble on all fronts. You CAN eat cheap and healthy...no need to starve yourself, and raniali is right about keeping yourself healthy for your family.

Tuna, eggs, cottage cheese, peanut butter, rice & beans, fruits and veggies are all cheap. It's the processed/packaged foods that aren't. PM me if you need some more ideas...I was really, really poor while putting myself through university and I could pass on lots of good info on eating frugally, if you're interested.

Shankerr
02-03-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by fuzz
if you need to save money, simply say fvck you to your taste buds and get tuna, milk, and eggs. All very cheap, convienant sources of protein.

After you've been hardcore enough for long enough, you won't even notice the nasty taste of half the foods you have to eat anymore...

NotSoBig
02-03-2003, 07:36 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I will not go thru with the 1000 calorie diet, but I really need to find a cheap way for me to eat healthy. This is so hard, because I am such a picky eater. Some things I just cannot eat, and it seems to be the ones everyone is reccomending (cottage cheese, hardboiled eggs, tuna, fruits and veggies, etc) :(

Ill eat eggs, but only scrambled. The only fruits / veggies I eat are bananas, tomatoes, corn, potatos.

Originally posted by bradley
What type of foods where you thinking about preparing for your family? What do they like? Maybe we can help you come up with a good mealplan without you going on a starvation diet.

Well as far as "meals" go its usually something with chicken. I have been taking a banana, protein shake, turkey sandwich, and oatmeal with me to work, and I eat either chicken, lean pocket (hotpocket) , soup, or one of the healthy frozen dinners when I get home. Then i usually have a bowl of cereal before I go to bed. My diet is real ****ty and I know it, but its a big improvement from the 3 fast food meals a day I used to do.

I have been so concerned lately with trying to get all my calories in, that I usually end up filling up on junk meal bars or something at the end of the night because I am nowhere near the 2k+ cals that I need.

My wife is the one thats doing good with the diet because she likes most of what she is eating (tuna, oatmeal, etc). All along I thought she was going to be the one to struggle with it, but in fact its me :(

bradley
02-04-2003, 03:11 AM
Well at least you are ok with chicken:) Just base your meals around that and go from there. You can get it relatively cheap if you purchase like chicken quarters or whatever is on sale and then just remove the extra skin and fat. What about sweet potatoes? Also I know that most people, young and old, enjoy green beans so that might be another veggie that you could fix for yourself and your family. Also stick to drinking a couple of glasses of milk with each meal which will provide you with some protein and extra cals. The cereal at night could be a good thing or a bad thing just depending on what type of cereal. Something whole grain would be fine but not lucky charms or count chocula;) Let me know what you think and I will try and think of some more alternatives. Happy to hear that you are not going with the 1000 cal meal idea.

NotSoBig
02-04-2003, 04:32 AM
Well the green beans I don't do, but my wife likes them. Sweet potatos ive never tried, but im sure I can eat those.

The cereal I am eating is honey nut clusters. Not the best in the world, but its got flavor lol. Maybe I should consider total or wheaties or something?

Trying to get what I need, and make it cheap and easy at the same time (since i spend most of my day on jobsites being in construction)

Thanks for all the help

Shao-LiN
02-04-2003, 08:46 AM
My advice would be to suck it up. I wasn't a big fan of veggies when I started the game, but now I eat them quite regularly. Same goes for canned tuna.

Especially if you want to eat cheap, you just have to accept it and move on, hehe.

NotSoBig
02-04-2003, 11:12 AM
Its not a matter of "not liking" more like "cannot handle" lol. Most veggies cause a gag reflex that I cannot control. Same goes for tuna... gawd I hate that ****.

Yea yea... go on and call me a pussy. But I aint eating that **** :)

Isaac Wilkins
02-04-2003, 12:10 PM
What about beans and rice? IceR mentioned it earlier. Those are pretty flavor neutral, depending upon how much you spice it (if at all).

Dry beans and rice are both hella cheap. Quality carbs, fiber, some protein (be it vegetable). They're also pretty calorically dense.

Beans + Rice + 2% milk... Mmmmm....

IceRgrrl
02-04-2003, 12:16 PM
Yup, beans and rice together make a complete protein...cheap, easy, nutritious...excellent poor food and tasty too :)

Shao-LiN
02-04-2003, 05:44 PM
I suffered from the gag reflex...when I was a teenager, hehe.