PDA

View Full Version : Is My diet to Blame?

rodent500
02-01-2003, 03:56 PM
I posted on the other board but basically, I'm 6' 165 pounds and 18. I've worked out in high school and have been working out regularly since october. However, despite working with trainers and taking a protein supplemnt, I HAVE NOT gotten any stronger. I have developed a pattern where one week my workout goes great...I look and feel strong...then next work my workout is awful and I look like I've lifted nothing. So In 4 months...I look no stronger and am no stronger even with great form, instisity, and doing pyramids/reverse pyramids. I really want to look and feel strong and gain mass. Is my diet the problem? Here is a typical day.

Breakfast: 2 bowls of cereal or oatmeal....sometimes I'll add a consiant or bananna or both...sometimes I'll have just 3 pancakes...always w/organe juice.
Lunch: A sandwich(like Bacon or roast beef) or chicken soup w/chips...sometimes cookie
Snack: Usually pinapples or bagels
Dinner: 1-2 burgers or 1-2 steaks or 3-4 Pizzas or 1-2 pasta plates...something like that

If this is not doing it, can you please give me an example of what I should eat, how much I should eat it, and when(breakfast, luch, dinner). I'm really clueless as to what I need and how to structure a helpful diet. If you have a plan/program/diet that would get me to my goal of more mass and strength please let me know. Thanks.

bradley
02-01-2003, 04:16 PM
By looking at your dailt diet I would say that is the problem.
Here are some general guidelines that generally one can apply to dieting:

General Calorie Guidelines
12*bodyweight--cutting
15*bodyweight--maintenance
18-20*bodyweight--bulking

These are rough daily calorie guidelines that should be adjusted up or down until desired weight gain or loss is reached (approximately 1 pound per week).

Some generally accepted dieting principles:

1) 1 gram of protein per lb. of bodyweight

2) 25-30% of daily calories should come from fat (Essential fatty
acids making up most of this total)

3) Fill in the rest of daily calories with low glycemic index carbs, except postworkout which would ideally include high glycemic index carbs along with whey protein.

4) Drink plenty of water throughout the day, and one gallon would be good starting point.

Listed below are some good sources of each macronutrient. This is just a small list and is by no means all inclusive.

protein sources: eggs, chicken, lean beef, dairy, fish

low GI carbs: oats, sweet potatoes, beans, brown rice, whole wheat bread, vegetables

fats: nuts, natural peanut butter, oily fish (such as salmon), fish oil, flax oil, hemp oil, safflower oil, olive oil

Manveet
02-01-2003, 06:40 PM
exactly what bradley said. 3 meals a day will not suffice, up it to 5-6.

rodent500
02-01-2003, 06:47 PM
Can you give me an example of what my diet should look like....I really am not sure how to structure my meals and don't want to make an error.
What should my breakfast be? What should my lunch be? Dinner? When and what should I have as snacks? Thanks.

the doc
02-01-2003, 09:29 PM
look man to keep it as simple as possible

at your age, you just need to concentrate on eating as much as you can day in and day out. eat 4-6 times per day

each day up the amounts of food a little bit more - your digestive tract will expand to accomidate the additional intake

eat a LOT of meat and other protein sources

eat some nuts

drink lots of milk

etc..

Shao-LiN
02-01-2003, 11:14 PM
Eat a lot, lift, eat a lot more, rest...recycle and begin again.

bradley
02-02-2003, 03:57 AM
For Breakfast you could add in some eggs along with your oatmeal. Then as a snack maybe make a pb sandwich or take some nuts along with you. For lunch go with the roast beef instead of bacon and try to get ww bread, and might throw a little mayo on there as well for some fat. For an afternoon snack go with something along the same lines as you mid morning snack. A protein bar would be convenient at this time as well. Dinner go with some type of protein, you have steak listed which is a good source of protein. Have some pasta along with it as well, or maybe some brown rice. The main thin as doc and Shao-Lin stated is to just eat, and try and get a little of each macronutrient in each meal. Just keep increasing your cals until you are noticing that you are gaining weight.

Also stick with the protein postworkout and maybe add in some form of simple sugar such as dextrose.

Silverback
02-02-2003, 04:12 AM
:withstupi couldn't agree more:)

rodent500
02-02-2003, 10:17 AM
I have protein whey.....when should I use that? Could that be my daily snack...and should I take more protein whey on lifting days before/after?

bradley
02-02-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by rodent500
I have protein whey.....when should I use that? Could that be my daily snack...and should I take more protein whey on lifting days before/after?

I would use the whey, mixed with water, postworkout along with some simple carbs. You could use whey as a meal replacement but I would mix it with milk instead of water because whey digests very rapidly. Might also throw in some healthy fats as well, such as flax or olive oil.

I would recommend keeping your protein intake at 1g per lb of bodyweight on lifting and non-lifting days.

Berserker
02-02-2003, 01:14 PM
Almost all my meals center around protein. The fats and carbs fall in place. To much carbs and not enough protein. Your breakfast is awful. Lunch not better.

rodent500
02-02-2003, 03:24 PM
Vocabulary-What are simple carbs?
Somedays I have school...so how can I eat a good breakfast(eggs and otameal)
For lunch...what do you guys eat for lunch....sometimes I have to eat at school where they serve sandwhiches/tacos/chicken nuggets/burgers...what should I eat there?
Snacks-I proabably will eat my snack after lunch...when would be good..3 PM and 9 PM? If I workout...should I eat snakc immediately afterwards? Is Peanut Butter/Jelly sandwich a good snack? Any other alterntives?
Dinner-Do you guys eat a big dinner...what would you consider a sample good dinner?
Thanks...I'm trying to figure how to plan my food w/my schedule here.

Beast
02-02-2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by rodent500
1. Vocabulary-What are simple carbs?
2. Somedays I have school...so how can I eat a good breakfast(eggs and otameal)
3. For lunch...what do you guys eat for lunch....sometimes I have to eat at school where they serve sandwhiches/tacos/chicken nuggets/burgers...what should I eat there?
4. Snacks-I proabably will eat my snack after lunch...when would be good..3 PM and 9 PM? If I workout...should I eat snakc immediately afterwards? Is Peanut Butter/Jelly sandwich a good snack? Any other alterntives?
5. Dinner-Do you guys eat a big dinner...what would you consider a sample good dinner?
Thanks...I'm trying to figure how to plan my food w/my schedule here.
1. Simple carbs are fruits, milk and milk products, vegetables.
2. Wake up early and make it yourself. Eggs and oatmeal do not take long to make.
3. Bring your own lunch and avoid everything you just listed.
4. Spread your meals so that you're eating about every 3 hours. Don't eat a PB&J sandwich. Instead, get some whey protein and make a shake, or eat some tuna or other source of protein. Eat a good meal rich in carbs and protein right after you workout.
5. A good dinner would consist of some good protein (chicken breast, fish, lean red meat) and some good carbs from veggies/salad.
Hope that helps :D

Berserker
02-02-2003, 11:04 PM
As far as eating at school I would probably go for the burgers. Your trying to put on weight anyways. Though bringing a lunch is good. PB&J isn't a bad snack. For me meals are all the same, with some snacks between. Maybe breakfast a little bigger.
I would have a whey shake right after wo. Then a big meal 1-2 hours. Sorry if I am repeating.

bradley
02-03-2003, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by NDBeast

These would be considered complex I believe.

bradley
02-03-2003, 02:42 AM
A mid-morning snack and an afternoon snack would be good. Just try to find something that is convenient for you to make and carry to school while still being healthy. I would think that a pb sandwich is something that would be convenient and not have to be refrigerated. Could also carry some nuts of some sort. Whey digest too rapidly so unless you can mix it with milk I would save that for postworkout. If you aren't going to take your lunch to school just try and find something high in protein that is not fried. Maybe a burger or chicken sandwich. For dinner just eat some protein, a complex carb like brown rice or potatoes of some sort (sweet potatoes are one of my favorites), and some veggies which will give you some fiber in your diet. Stick to the whey post workout with some simple carbs (dextrose, smarties candy, maltodextrin)

Beast
02-03-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by bradley
These would be considered complex I believe.
Complex carbs are breads, starchy vegetables, legumes, rice, pastas.

bradley
02-03-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by NDBeast

Complex carbs are breads, starchy vegetables, legumes, rice, pastas.

I agree with you here but that is not what you stated previously.:)