PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on my wifes diet.

NotSoBig
02-02-2003, 05:45 PM
We are really trying to buckle down, and set a solid meal plan for each day. We have been doing this for about 2 weeks now, and she has lost 6 lbs. She started at 190 and wants to lose the weight fast, but the plan we have set up is only a max of 1340 calories. This is obviously helping her to lose the weight and fast, but i'm sure most will say she needs to be taking in more calories.

Could you take a look at this meal plan and critique it for her? Its tough to make good meals because we spend a lot of time at work, or on the go. Not much time in the day.

Please keep in mind that I am not real good with the diets and such, and not sure how many carbs/protein/calories she should be taking in. She doesn't care about muscle right now, just wants to safely shed the pounds.

Anyway.... here goes:

Meal 1 - Carnation Instant Breakfast w/ 1/2 % milk
220 cals
26g carbs
6g protein

Meal 2 - Oatmeal packets x 2
200 calories
38g carbs
8g protein

Meal 3 - Can of tuna w/ relish, light mayo on white bread
350 cals
31g carbs
35.5g protein

Meal 4 - Slim Fast "Meal on the go" bar
220 cals
36g carbs
8g protein

Meal 5 - Healthy Choice dinners or soup w/ glass of 1/2% milk
350 cals
53g carbs
22g protein

Meal 6 - Nothing yet, she did soup one time, and some milk another time, but usuallly only does 5 meals

TOTALS:
1340 Cals
184g carbs
79.5g protein

Thanks in advance!

NotSoBig
02-02-2003, 07:20 PM
She keeps asking me "Anyone replied yet, anyone replied yet?" lol.

I am going to be posting my diet here soon too. Its very similar, but again im not sure if I am taking in the correct amount of protein/carbs/cals

Is there some standard calculation to use to come up with a ratio on these 3? I am using 1g per lb on the protein, and 12x bw for cals, but where do carbs fall into this? We are both trying to lose 30 or so pounds.

Shao-LiN
02-02-2003, 08:00 PM
Off the top of my head:

The calories seem too low for someone beginning a cut. I'd up that to about 10 or 12 x bodyweight to start out and adjust it from there. If you dip cals too low, your metabolism slows in conjunction and you just defeat the purpose of a diet.

I would switch the white bread to whole wheat. You generally want to try and keep high GI carbs to a minimum when you cut. To put it simply, try and stay away from sugar if you don't know what high GI is.

Stick with oatmeal for breakfast instead of the cereal. Up the protein and make sure she gets a healthy intake of fats in her diet. You need fat to lose it.

bradley
02-03-2003, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by NotSoBig
I am going to be posting my diet here soon too. Its very similar, but again im not sure if I am taking in the correct amount of protein/carbs/cals

Is there some standard calculation to use to come up with a ratio on these 3? I am using 1g per lb on the protein, and 12x bw for cals, but where do carbs fall into this? We are both trying to lose 30 or so pounds.

12xbw is a general guideline for males who are cutting. I would recommend getting in 1g per lb of bw and about 30% of your cals from fat and then just fill in the rest of the days calories with low GI carbs (high GI would only be ideal postworkout).

Your wifes diet looks pretty good just try and throw in a little protein with that second meal. You could do this by making the oats with some milk or eat a boiled egg with the oats. Also if she likes cottage cheese that would be a good option for meal #6.

Max-Mex
02-03-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Shao-LiN
Off the top of my head:

The calories seem too low for someone beginning a cut. I'd up that to about 10 or 12 x bodyweight to start out and adjust it from there. If you dip cals too low, your metabolism slows in conjunction and you just defeat the purpose of a diet.

I would switch the white bread to whole wheat. You generally want to try and keep high GI carbs to a minimum when you cut. To put it simply, try and stay away from sugar if you don't know what high GI is.

Stick with oatmeal for breakfast instead of the cereal. Up the protein and make sure she gets a healthy intake of fats in her diet. You need fat to lose it.

:withstupi

I'd say the instant breakfast and the slimfast bars get most of their carbs from sugars. I'd occasionally sub those out for fruits (Apples, oranges, watermelon (my fav!), etc).

As Shao said, healthy fats as well. Fish, nuts, or even a flaxseed supplement. I make a morning shake that has milk, bluberries, whey protein, and flaxseed powder. Really great way to get the body a bit of everything.

One more thing, how about some veggies? Great way to get eat more and still be low cal. I have a feeling she might get tired of the same foods everyday. Gotta figure out a way to add some variety or she will get frustrated and dump the diet.

NotSoBig
02-07-2003, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the posts so far...

Anyone else?

MrWebb78
02-07-2003, 08:18 PM
whats her exercise routine look like? early cardio first thing in the morning might do some good. kickstart the metabolism and keep it higher throughout the day.

definately need some fruits and veggies in that diet. get some good use with a blender too when mixing healthy meals. (i.e. mixing bananas and strawberries with milk and protein).

NotSoBig
02-07-2003, 08:52 PM
She is doing cardio 5 times a week on a treadmill, and doing a complete body workout 3x a week on a total gym.

I have been trying to get her to do it in the morning, but her knees have been bothering her, and she can hardly run at all now.

I'll let her know about the fruits and veggies.

Thanks

bradley
02-08-2003, 07:33 AM
I would just walk if her knees are bothering her. If you want to increase the intensity just raise the incline. I have bad knees as well and running aggravates them more than anything.