PDA

View Full Version : lifting AND cardio

PeaceBeWithYou
02-03-2003, 10:13 PM
Now, for some reason, I always have the urge to do cardio when I start weight training (not the same day, or anything). I was wondering...is it possible to get big while doing cardio and training at the same time? I really wanna swim since I like swimming and wanna get my swimming stronger for the summer (bodyboarding/surfing).

Also, I love those row machines they have at my gym. So, what do you think? Should I just bulk and lift for like 3-4 months then cut and start with the cardio then?

Shane
02-03-2003, 10:18 PM
You can do cardio and still get big. You should probably consider the cardio you are doing in your daily caloric intake though. Be aware that if you do a lot of cardio your body will make adaptations that are counterproductive to maximal strength gains. As to the second part of your question, I think it depends on where you are at right now and where you want to be by the beginning of summer.

Paul Stagg
02-04-2003, 07:33 AM
Of course you can get big and do cardio.

Flyersfan
02-04-2003, 01:36 PM
I'm not trying to hijack the thread (:angel: ), but I was about to post a similar question. I lost my motivation this winter, but I found it again by setting a specific goal: get down to a certain weight or waist size (whichever comes first). To acheive my goal, I developed the following routine:

Day 1: cardio (bike for 45-60 minutes, target heart rate 140-160).
Day 2: chest/upper back/shoulder/arms workout
Day 3: off
Day 4: cardio (see above)
Day 5: legs/lower back workout
Day 6: cardio
Day 7: off

I might swap 6 & 7 depending on how I feel, but bottom line is 3 days of good sweaty cardio with 2 days of hard sweaty weight training.

I'd like to see gains in size/strength, but as long as I don't lose either one (and I drop the weight/waist size) I'll be happy.

Thoughts?

St. Velkro
02-04-2003, 07:00 PM
You bet! (Just my opinion) I think my workout is not complete unless I do cardio too. I do weights first, and jog after -- 2 to 3 miles, according to how much I have left in my fuel tank by then.

This also seems to be the right thing according to something I've read recently having to do with your body not using the carbo's to store fat if you run after weights. I use to run first, then I'd do weights, because I thought that the weights would raise my blood pressure too much for running. But, now I find that I get much better from both if I do it weights first, then run.

There are probably thoughts on both sides of this issue?:) :)

nejar462
02-04-2003, 07:53 PM
the best strong muscles to have are a strong heart and lungs.

Beast
02-04-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by St. Velkro
You bet! (Just my opinion) I think my workout is not complete unless I do cardio too. I do weights first, and jog after -- 2 to 3 miles, according to how much I have left in my fuel tank by then.

This also seems to be the right thing according to something I've read recently having to do with your body not using the carbo's to store fat if you run after weights. I use to run first, then I'd do weights, because I thought that the weights would raise my blood pressure too much for running. But, now I find that I get much better from both if I do it weights first, then run.

There are probably thoughts on both sides of this issue?:) :)
I'm usually way too tired to do any running after a weight workout! Although when I was fat, I'd run for 20 minutes and weight train for ~1 hour after. That shredded the fat away! :D

outlawtas
02-04-2003, 11:03 PM
Try to do all your cardio in the morning. If you think about, you just slept for approx 8 hours. All the food you ate previously, is now digested, used or stored or ready for waste. So when you do cardio, on an empty stomache, there are no calories left to burn, except for what you have stored. This allows you to directly burn stored fat, and won't affect your caloric intake. Meaning, throughout the rest of your day, all the food you eat will go directly to hypertrophy or muscle growth.

Please correct me if i am mistaken though...

Madd Hatter
02-05-2003, 12:12 AM
I hope that's right, that's what I'm counting on. I could do cardio after my lifting, but instead do it on totally different days, first thing in the morning. And I'm frickin starving when I get home, so it better do some good.

_-_v_-_
02-05-2003, 08:15 AM
Dude,

Read the HIIT Sticky. It would do you well.

Erbas
02-05-2003, 08:39 AM
With regard to doing cardio on an empty stomach, I think it is best to consume some protein and perhaps a little EFA's 30-45 min prior to cardio. From what I undestand, your body is in an extremely catabolic state after fasting over night for 7-9 hrs. Though this is good for fat oxidation, it is bad for maintaining muscle. The low level of glycogen will promote the burning of fat, unfortunately protein will be converted as well. This will eat up hard earned muscle. By eating some peotein prior to the morning cardio, you still get the fat burn and the protein that is inevitabley burned will come from what you ingested, not your muscles. At least that's what I've picked up on in my reading.