PDA

View Full Version : re: Low Carb Diets

Tennisguy
02-04-2003, 03:11 PM
Hi:

I wanted your opinion about eating hi protein/low carb diets. I am eating a modified Atkins/Zone combo trying to eat quality protein (lean), low glycemic carbs and low carb in general, and fats from efa's/omega 3's mostly.

My height is: 6:0, bodyweight 175 lbs, approximate bodyfat % 13. I am happy with my bodyweight, however, PLEASE help me get my bodyfat under 10% so I can finally see my abs! LOL

I eat clean, but recently started this LOW CARB to try to get LEANER with more definition.

In summary my goal is simple: lose 5 lbs of fat, add 5 lbs of muscle.....change my bodyfat % to under 10.

Please help.....open to suggestions.

Thanks,

Tennisguy

bdsallied@aol.com

bradley
02-04-2003, 04:11 PM
I would read through some of the articles on the WBB main page and maybe run search on ketogenic diets, NHE, CKD, TKD, etc. This should provide some answers to your general questions.

Vido
02-05-2003, 12:18 AM
If you are a true 13%, you should be getting pretty close to seeing your abs already, at least if they are flexed.

Davy
02-05-2003, 12:44 AM
Yeah , and of course train them !!!!

Snipe
02-05-2003, 01:09 PM
I recently did the same thing. Unfortunately, I find that there is nothing I like to eat, and end up being hungry a lot of the time (a guy can only eat so much tuna and chicken.)

I've tried to severly limit my carbs except pre and post workout/basketball.

I've lost 16 lbs in about 3 weeks and gained several inches on my vertical leap.

I'm 6'2, 181 right now and was at 197 before. Still carrying some fat though as you cant see my abs very well. What's a good way to measure your body fat percentage accurately?

bradley
02-05-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Snipe
What's a good way to measure your body fat percentage accurately?

Get it tested with calipers would probably be the most accurate.

MrWebb78
02-05-2003, 02:36 PM
first off, "Dr." Atkins should be shot, several times in the head. All those foods with carbs your neglecting to eat are filled with essential vitamins and minerals you need for good health. If you wanna drop the fat, then keep the protein high, and moderate your carbs, dont cut them out. Stay active as well. What alot of people dont realize is that it's basically a dehydration diet, you lose lbs rapidly, then your satisfied with how you look, and eat normal again, and boom you put the weight back on faster than you could imagine. just my two cents

bradley
02-05-2003, 04:11 PM
You are right the initial loss is water and glycogen but after you come out of ketosis you just gain back the initial water and glycogen loss. You don't magically put on weight when coming off a low carb diet. Low carb diets do work and are effective for some and others prefer a more balanced diet. Each person is different.