PDA

View Full Version : Caloric consumption/burning question

Davidson
02-04-2003, 09:28 PM
Right now, I'm looking to cut more than bulk. I'd like to limit my calories throughout the day, and I have a question.

Would it be more beneficial if I was to use breakfast as my main meal of the day, and eat a light dinner?

I'm currently in the habit of eating a small-normal breakfast, skipping lunch (I'm in college and can't really do otherwise this semester), and eating a fairly large dinner. I usually go to the gym after dinner, but wouldn't it make more sense to eat a big breakfast (comparatively) to keep me fuller for longer, so I don't eat so much for dinner? That way, my body would be burning the calories through normal activity throughout the day, rather than sit dormant and be turned into fat if I ate a large dinner.

Comments?

_-_v_-_
02-04-2003, 10:25 PM
Ignore the BS; food before bed does NOT necessarily mean fat gain.

What matters, really, is total calories in versus total calories out. That's it.

NotSoBig
02-04-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by _-_v_-_
Ignore the BS; food before bed does NOT necessarily mean fat gain.

What matters, really, is total calories in versus total calories out. That's it.

That goes against every scientific study I have ever read. Do you have anything to back that up?

_-_v_-_
02-04-2003, 11:08 PM
It's a thermodynamic issue, really.

Let's assume, say, that one requires 2500 kcas daily. If they consume only 1500 kcals over the course of the day, with an additional 500 kcals before bed, from a thermodynamic standpoint nothing approaching anabolism can occur. Now, this is a loose interpretation, I admit, but I think that, for general purposes, eating before bed is no different really from eating, say, at noon. So long as one is within one's caloric requirement for the day, it's not an issue.

noraa
02-05-2003, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by NotSoBig

That goes against every scientific study I have ever read. Do you have anything to back that up?

What references do you have for all those scientific studies?

HANSEL
02-05-2003, 10:40 AM
I think its good to have your larger meals early and taper off the rest of the day. It is supposed to set up the metabolism for the rest of the day and Break the fast you were just on while asleep. However, you need nutrients for your muscles while you go on an 8 hr fast at night. I think your best bet would be to limit carbs in the PM but get protein and good fats still. I have no research to cite for this though, just my thoughts. Ill eat a chicken breast and some nuts before bed often and hasnt disrupted the effectivness of my cutting phase at all.

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-05-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by NotSoBig

That goes against every scientific study I have ever read.

At the risk of sounding like an ass here, you can't have read many scientific studies.