PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my diet please

ccr
02-05-2003, 11:14 AM
I've been having some problems with my diet lately. It seems that i've been putting on more fat than muscle. I train hard but somehow i dont seem to be growing.

I'm 5'10 170lbs. That would put maintainence cal at 2550. I used to eat 3000-3200 but i plan to keep it at 2800-2900 now.

I put on fat easily so what would be a good carb intake for me? Should i cycle my carbs?

I try to keep protein high, arnd 1.5-2/lb to make up for the carbs.

Anything i plan to do is to limit carb intake after 7pm. It will be P/F and greens till bed time where i will have a glass of milk with some protein.

I dont plan to restrict my cals too much. But i need to stop putting on lard arnd my tummy and lower back too fast.

Will it be good if i do cardio on off days 3 times a week? I do a brisk walk for 30-45 min in the morning on an empty stomach.

Please advice guys.

thanks

Vido
02-05-2003, 11:49 AM
There isn't some magical formula for maintenance calories as you seem to believe. There are many personal factors that are going to affect it, the most important of which is metabolism. You should be tracking your calories for a while to determine your maintenance calories, not relying on some predetermined number that probably doesn't apply to YOU.

As far as eating goes, there is no need to be eating so much over maintenance to gain muscle anyway. You should be able to gain muscle, while limiting fat gain, as long as you're in a minor caloric surplus. If you want faster gains (with these come fat gains as well) then you can be eating more, but this doesn't seem to be working for you.

I personally like the no carbs after 7pm and the brisk walking 3 times a week, but you will hear varying opinions on these.

ccr
02-06-2003, 04:00 AM
Thanks Vido. I have a pretty slow metabolism so i'm cutting down on cals. Prob go 250g P/200g C/100g F.

This would give me abt 2700cals which is pretty alright.

Any idea as to how i can get 100g of healthy fats daily?

bradley
02-06-2003, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by ccr
Any idea as to how i can get 100g of healthy fats daily?

You can supplement with flax or fish oil. You can also get some healthy fats from nuts, natural peanut butter, and I also like to eat salmon which is high in protein and EFA's.