PDA

View Full Version : How much time do you have to use carbs before they turn to fat?

Snipe
02-05-2003, 12:55 PM
With all this noise about carbs these days, I have yet to see some actual numbers as to how long you have to burn your carbs before the body stores them. I hear things like "No carbs after 6:00 pm," and know for a fact that cutting or elimiminating carbs really does work, but how long does it take the body to turn them to fat stores?

If I eat a sandwich at lunch, and work 6 hours before going to the gym, am I going to put on fat as well as not having those carbs for energy?

If anyone has some good, solid info, I would love to hear it.

CBates
02-05-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Snipe
With all this noise about carbs these days, I have yet to see some actual numbers as to how long you have to burn your carbs before the body stores them. I hear things like "No carbs after 6:00 pm," and know for a fact that cutting or elimiminating carbs really does work, but how long does it take the body to turn them to fat stores?

If I eat a sandwich at lunch, and work 6 hours before going to the gym, am I going to put on fat as well as not having those carbs for energy?

If anyone has some good, solid info, I would love to hear it.

I don't think anybody will be able to provide you with any solid info, because there is none. Everybody’s metabolism is different, so they'll burn calories at a different rate. Also, some people say that a calorie is a calorie so it doesn't matter what you eat and when you eat. To the people that don't think that, it depends on what type or carb it is, fiber actually slows down the digestion of the carbs. So there's no right way to answer your question.

_-_v_-_
02-05-2003, 01:19 PM
Carbs don't magically turn into fat.

Really, I promise, they don't.

bradley
02-05-2003, 02:06 PM
If you eat more calories than you expend you will create a caloric surplus which means you gain weight. If you burn more than you use you are in a caloric deficit which means you will lose weight. Worry more about total calories for the day then carbs at one meal.