PDA

View Full Version : pasta question

Lizzie
02-05-2003, 03:33 PM
Ok family member just got back from the gym after having a fitness test done prior to working out at the gym. The guy says a half cup of pasta equals a cup of sugar so stay away from it. Also a banana is sugar on a stick....also to eat very little carbs before workout. My brother is like 6ft 3 and the guy says he should weigh about 185 lbs!!!!!!!! Holy sh*t!!!!! I'd like some responses to take back to this so called trainer and nutritionist. I frankly think this is bullsh*t and told my bro not to listen. If he wants some advice then ask in here. I'm gonna try and print this out so if you dont mind being read then post away.tuttut

Silverback
02-05-2003, 03:54 PM
oh dear, it pisses me off how these so called Training Experts get paied x amount for doing a ****ty job. The nutrition they piped out was BS, the foods may contain carbs of a similar prescription, but within we can see much more e.g. pasta has a lower gi than sugar therefore pasta is utilised at a slower rate, preventing the event of an insulin spike and shifting away from the chance fat production.

The weight thing is probably about right for an average human e.g. bmi but if they are into weights then a weight of 200+ would be advised. It depends on what the individuals goals are.

Shao-LiN
02-05-2003, 07:01 PM
Half cup of whole wheat pasta is perfectly fine.

BUFF STUFF
02-05-2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Lizzie
also to eat very little carbs before workout.

why? I mean if your on a cut I understand this but if your trying to bulk you need those calories for energy. I use Dextrose before a workout sometimes. (fruit suger)

Personal trainer bah!

Manveet
02-05-2003, 08:51 PM
Wrong advice.

Simple Carbs are needed post workout, like Big Ron posted earlier.

Tiare
02-05-2003, 08:59 PM
did your brother tell the fitness guy that he wanted to be ripped? If so, then his advice is not completely wrong though saying bananas and pasta are like sugar is garbage IMO

ccr
02-06-2003, 12:23 AM
i was on pasta for a few months and noticed that i put on more fat than muscle. I had better results with sweet/potatos.

bradley
02-06-2003, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by BUFF STUFF

why? I mean if your on a cut I understand this but if your trying to bulk you need those calories for energy. I use Dextrose before a workout sometimes. (fruit suger)

Personal trainer bah!

Fructose=fruit sugar

Sledgehammer
02-06-2003, 09:42 AM
I think he should be able to carry 210 easy as long as it is not fat...and go up from there.......The GI index is the differnce between carbs.....and I use whole wheat pasta and it is not the same as a cup of sugar......

BUFF STUFF
02-06-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Manveet
Wrong advice.

Simple Carbs are needed post workout, like Big Ron posted earlier.

If you are lagging energy Simple carbs can give you a boost in the gym

I always use dextrose post workout though

BUFF STUFF
02-06-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by bradley

Fructose=fruit sugar

Yes and Dextrose is grape suger(glucose) , grape is a fruit yes?

GIS
02-06-2003, 10:32 AM
LOL..... 1/2 cup pasta= 1 cup sugar??!!

Logically that just doesn't make any sense whatsoever let along it having any kind of truth.

Who DON'T they let be a trainer! Seriously... I've seen so many fat and out of shape goofs be trainers or ones that resemble that squeeky-voiced, pimple faced teenage geek from the Simpsons.

If he said your brother should be 6'3" 185 then he's either a proudct of the entertainment industry and is used to telling teenage and twenty year old girls that they need to be anorexic to be famous and/or somebody who, well, has no idea what he's doing. My guess it the latter.

RUN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!

IceRgrrl
02-06-2003, 10:58 AM
This "trainer" probably read a chemistry/bio textbook and saw that "sugars" are monosaccharides/disaccharides and carbohydrates are polysaccharides and just jumped to the conclusion that "they're all sugar!" :rolleyes:

And what is he using, those stupid ideal height/weight charts from the Metropolitan insurance agency?

sweet-physique
02-06-2003, 11:37 AM
6"3 185lbs. ???
I hope this "trainer" also told your brother once he reaches this "ideal" weight and BMI not to go outside if there is a stiff breeze blowing. He might blow away in the wind HeHe;)

GIS
02-06-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by IceRgrrl
And what is he using, those stupid ideal height/weight charts

Yep, that's what I figured as well. 185@6'3" is not unheard of by any means- in fact it is quite normal. But who is to say that somebody SHOULD be at that height/weight ratio?? I mean come on... there is no specific standard for height/weight. As it stands, me being 195@5'11" is 'unhealthy' in terms of some of these indecies.

bradley
02-06-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by BUFF STUFF

Yes and Dextrose is grape suger(glucose) , grape is a fruit yes?

You are right Buff Stuff. I just saw fruit sugar and immediately thought of fructose. I apologize for that but usually fructose is referred to as fruit sugar.

Fructose-
Definition: [FRUHK-tohs; FROOK-tohs] Also called fruit sugar and levulose, this extremely sweet substance is a natural by-product of fruits and honey. It's more water-soluble than glucose and sweeter than sucrose (though it contains half the calories). Unlike glucose, it can be used by diabetics. Fructose comes in granulated and syrup forms. Except in the case of some liquids, such as a sauce or beverage, it should not be substituted for regular sugar (sucrose) unless a recipe gives specific substitution. When heated, fructose loses some of its sweetening power.

Dextrose-
Definition: [DEHK-strohs] Also called corn sugar and grape sugar, dextrose is a naturally occurring form of glucose.

Shane
02-06-2003, 02:29 PM
What are your brothers goals? 6'3 at 185 is pretty lean. The charts those trainers go off of are likely the same doctors go off of. They may be accurate for sedentary adults but if a person does any kind of resistance training it's easy to enter the 'overweight' category. Bodyfat % is a much better gauge.

Sugar isn't exactly bad for you. It's all about moderation. With everything in life balance is key. Some forms of sugar, like fructose, are actually relatively low on the GI scale. Banana's definitely aren't sugar on a stick. Fructose's GI is in the 20's and a banana's GI is between the 30's and 50's depending on how rip it is. Is this trainer an actual nutritionist or just a trainer that was advising on nutrition? It sounds like he's a tool.

ElPietro
02-06-2003, 06:38 PM
Why does he have/need a trainer? Other than providing a program or showing people how to do 15 reps of kickbacks I've never seen anything valuable from a trainer. And you said matt gave him a program already. I'm sure you could show him the exercises yourself, or from online sources.

Tell him not to necessarily make too many changes at once. Working out will take him far, if he can add in keeping his meals more regular but portion sizes smaller then he will be way ahead of the game. Going into macro breakdowns when he first starts out is just too much, especially when it's coming from a BS homo nutritionist who must be spouting out the newest column from muscle and fitness magazine or some other homo rag like that. Ha! I used the word "homo" twice in one sentence. :)

Lizzie
02-06-2003, 08:44 PM
Well according to bro his goals are to lose some weight and maybe get down to about 210 to 220. He'd like to tone up...get some endurance. I think secretly he'd like some muscle cause he's asking questions about what to do after losing excess weight. He took his sheet into the gym with all matts suggestions on exercise and the guy was kind of like........where the hell did you get this???? When you first join this gym mr pietro they assign you a trainer to show you equipment and make initial suggestions. I think its to make you feel so incompetent that you sign your life away getting a personal trainer. I haven't gone to the gym with him yet because of work schedule but plan on going together this weekend. Which actually should be pretty funny since I get to tell him what to do.:D

Saint Patrick
02-07-2003, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by Lizzie
When you first join this gym mr pietro they assign you a trainer to show you equipment and make initial suggestions.

My Gym membership includes 1 meeting/month with a PT. They asked to set up an initial appoinment with one after I signed up, I told them "no thank you". I never have talked with a PT, and don't plan to. I'm sure your brother is not required to see a trainer on a regular basis, he's better off taking advice from you and matt and WBB.