PDA

View Full Version : Post-workout question

mr_hand
02-06-2003, 09:30 AM
Hey guys. I have been incorparating a nice bowl of sugary cereal, Count Chocula, Cookie Crsip, etc. along with a whey protein shake for my post workout meal. It seems like a good idea, cuz not only is the cereal a form of hi GI carbs, but it kinda feels like a cheat meal that I can look forward to on every weight training day. Now my question. Will the milk I put in the cereal mess up what Im trying to accomplish because of the fat in it? Or is it not enough to make a difference? I mix my whey shakes with water, the milk only goes in the cereal. Please advise.

MrWebb78
02-06-2003, 09:39 AM
im opening the floodgates for arguement here, but i think milk should always be a part of your diet, whether your bulking or cutting. use nonfat or 1% milk if youre worried about fat content. alot of people will say milk is bad while cutting from the sugar content, but i say milk, it does a body good. how cliche.

how soon are you eating your cereal after your workout?

mr_hand
02-06-2003, 10:54 AM
Right when I get home, which is like 15-20 minutes after working out. I'll eat a big bowl of cereal with milk, and have a whey shake, to take advantage of that "golden hour of opportunity".

mr_hand
02-06-2003, 10:58 AM
Oh mr. webb, Im not worried about the sugar content, I was worried about the fat content, cuz I read that fat can slow or get in the way of the nutrients that I am trying to shuttle into my muscles during the post workout advantage period

HANSEL
02-06-2003, 04:13 PM
I think thats a great idea Mr hand. High GI carbs + Protein postworkout sounds good to me, and quite tasty:drooling:
I think the Whey might be a better choice, less lactose and more protein. And it usually tastes better.

mr_hand
02-07-2003, 09:51 AM
I only use the milk in my cereal. Maybe like 6-8oz give or take. I use water to mix in my why shake. I have lactose problems, but because the amount of milk used is small, and mixed into the cereal, it doesnt upset my stomach in those awful ways. I'll tell you though, I sure look forward to grubbing that cereal. It helps keep the rest of the day strict.

ElPietro
02-07-2003, 09:55 AM
Fat can slow down digestion yes, and so can fibre, so if any of the cereals have a healthy source of fibre it may not be the best bet for post workout. But if it makes you happy use it...I'm sure having a meal you enjoy is more beneficial mentally to the 2% difference it might make if you made it something more optimal but less enjoyable.

mr_hand
02-07-2003, 01:06 PM
Then to completely solve my problem would be to use fat-free milk, right EL Pietro?

ElPietro
02-07-2003, 01:18 PM
I guess so. Other than the fibre involved in the equation, if there is any. You could just use this for breakfast if you want and use whatever milk you please and then just consume a post workout shake. But I wouldn't sweat the minor details too much.

If you can enjoy it with fat free milk then by all means, it would probably help a bit more.

bradley
02-07-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by mr_hand
Then to completely solve my problem would be to use fat-free milk, right EL Pietro?

The caisein protein in milk would slow digestion as well but this would not have that much of an impact. Just go with some Count Chocula if you want some sugary cereal with little or no fiber.