PDA

View Full Version : Trimming fat off slowly is hard.



Rycherx
02-07-2003, 09:00 AM
How slow are you suppose to cut weight in order to not lose too much muscle.

I started off at 182 lbs. I'm @ 178 lbs right now @ around 10%
Should I shoot for 1 lb lost a week?
I don't want to be a skinnier version of me now.
I'm looking to look great @ 170 lbs. 5%


I've been eating the same kind of foods before my cutting, but
just less of it.


I'm worried that if I cut out my carbs that I would lose weight too fast and feel really weak and unmotivated.

This is my first time ever to cut.

Bam Bam
02-07-2003, 09:02 AM
i feel weaker and smaller without the carbs but im no expert by anymeans maybe bradley will see this soon

Shao-LiN
02-07-2003, 09:09 AM
So don't cut carbs. And maintaining 5% seems a bit unhealthy in the long run. You preparing for a show?

Rycherx
02-07-2003, 09:11 AM
No.
Unfortunately, working out made me such a vain person.
I've become very obsessed with my body and the way it looks.
I must look good sporting a wife beater for spring break.

Calipso
02-07-2003, 09:37 AM
Damn right trimming fat off slowly is hard. I lost 10 pounds in 3 weeks yet I noticed my biceps and calves were smaller. I guess it's a sacrafice but once I get a little cut, I'm gonna bulk like crazy.

Brewsir
02-07-2003, 09:48 AM
Trimming off fat slowly isn't hard, it's just takes loads of patience and dedication. I've lost 5 pounds in the past 6 weeks with no muscle or strength loss. I could have lost more weight faster but I would risk losing some of my hard earned muscle.

I'd say shoot for losing 1 lb. a week but no more. Diet doesn't really matter as long as you are eating below maintenance (but not too low) and getting plenty of protein. Go with what works best for you.

Calipso
02-07-2003, 09:56 AM
Well like most guys I don't care about how much I actually weigh, I just care about how my body looks. I could be 240lbs and have a lean body and could careless. I just took some water pills and probably that's one of the main reasons I lost a good ammount of weight. Not to mention I cleaned out my system. Your right though, it does take patience.

Lucian
02-07-2003, 10:19 AM
Damn right its hard.

I think I've lost about 2lbs this week but I dont really notice it, I do feel alittle bit lighter but while in ketosis I also feel weaker so I dont know If i've kept all my muscle mass.

Its fairly easy to lose weight, its very difficult to lose weight without losing muscle as well, you can limit the muscle loss with high fat and moderate protein intake but thats about all you can do.


Then its just a waiting period, you adapt your eating habits for a month or two and you wait.

Lucian
02-07-2003, 10:25 AM
Also, 5% bodyfat is unhealthy only if you naturally arent a low bodyfat.

I have family members who are always 5% bodyfat or below and have been all their lives, this is genetics, then theres medium builds like me who can go down that low but its unnatural, so its not as healthy.

I say go as low as you want but dont stay at 5% all year long because when the next plague, like antrax spreads you'll be the first to die, not the fat pig whos 40% bodyfat, the lean bodybuilder whos 5% bodyfat will be the first to go.

The Ideal bodyfat for me would be around 8%, If I can get that low. Perhaps I could cycle to 4% then up to 12% then back to 8% but as far as looks good, 8% is ripped.

8% for me would show off my six pack just fine, 4% would be not be safe and I wouldnt even want to stay at 8% forever, just for the summer, I'd want to go up to maybe 15% during the winter.

10lbs in 3 weeks means you lost muscle.

Calipso
02-07-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Lucian


10lbs in 3 weeks means you lost muscle.

Yea I know. :( I was afraid that would happen, I've been peeing and crapping my brains out. Too much fiber and water pills. Heh, guess I shouldn't take water pills cuz if I recall creatine puts water in your muscles. Stooooopid me.

-Calipso

Rycherx
02-07-2003, 12:33 PM
I guess 1 lb a week is good. I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing and be patient. Someone at the gym already told me that my shoulders look bigger. When I was 4 lbs heavier, no one said a word.
Sometimes, I feel like shooting the winny
for a couple months and save all that muscle.
If I don't have to, I won't.

houseman
02-07-2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Rycherx
No.
Unfortunately, working out made me such a vain person.
I've become very obsessed with my body and the way it looks.
I must look good sporting a wife beater for spring break.

170 in a wife beater?

*laughs*... get some muscle first before you start sporting the wife beaters.


Query:

Why do all the 170lb runts in the gym feel the feel to show off the no muscle they have while the big mofo's wear our sweat shirts and track pants?

Could it be that when you KNOW you are big you don't always need to show it off?

:)

bradley
02-07-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Rycherx
I guess 1 lb a week is good. I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing and be patient. Someone at the gym already told me that my shoulders look bigger. When I was 4 lbs heavier, no one said a word.
Sometimes, I feel like shooting the winny
for a couple months and save all that muscle.
If I don't have to, I won't.

Just keep reducing cals slowly until you losing weight, and remember to make subtle changes in your diet and exercise routine that way you can monitor your progress. I would say anywhere from .5-1lb a week would be plenty.

I agree with the others when they say that 5% would be a little low and probably hard to maintain but then again this would depend on the individual and their genetics. You also might want to run a search in refeeds as I would recommend incorporating these since you are already at 10% bf.

ericg
02-07-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by bradley
Just keep reducing cals slowly until you losing weight, and remember to make subtle changes in your diet and exercise routine that way you can monitor your progress. I would say anywhere from .5-1lb a week would be plenty.

I agree with the others when they say that 5% would be a little low and probably hard to maintain but then again this would depend on the individual and their genetics. You also might want to run a search in refeeds as I would recommend incorporating these since you are already at 10% bf.

Great advice here!

BUFF STUFF
02-07-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Calipso
I was afraid that would happen, I've been peeing and crapping my brains out. Too much fiber and water pills. Heh,

WTF are water pills?:confused:

MrWebb78
02-07-2003, 05:53 PM
i cant imagine being 10% bf and still wanting to cut fat. then again, im a fatty so oh well.

Calipso
02-07-2003, 05:57 PM
Water pills make you piss all your extra water weight out. Like when I joined the military I was 2 lbs "overweight". So I took the pills, urinated alot and lost 5lbs.

-Squeek

It causes you to drain all your excess water in your body.

_-_v_-_
02-07-2003, 06:44 PM
Which can kill you, btw.

restless
02-08-2003, 02:21 AM
Do you mean diuretics?

bradley
02-08-2003, 07:37 AM
I assume you are talking about diuretics and why would you even take them unless you are preparing for a show or something? :confused:

Calipso
02-08-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by _-_v_-_
Which can kill you, btw.

Not if you drink alot of water with the pills. Try looking up this info online, I've used before, it's just like the hollywood diet.

Hollywood Diet: Cleans out your insides of sh*t etc.
Water Pills: Makes you piss excess water out, though you drink water with them to keep you from being dehydrated.

-Calipso

EdgeCrusher
02-08-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Calipso
Water pills make you piss all your extra water weight out. Like when I joined the military I was 2 lbs "overweight". So I took the pills, urinated alot and lost 5lbs.

-Squeek

It causes you to drain all your excess water in your body.

It's not such a big deal to do that if you need to make a weight, but I wouldn't say it's a good idea otherwise. Also, water pills suck because all you have to do is drink massive amounts of water (but take a vitamin or 2 so you don't suck the nutrients out of your body) and you'll piss out the water neways.

And water weight isn't a big deal unless you're gonna model.

smalls
02-08-2003, 06:54 PM
I believe it's the electrolyte loss/imbalance that causes the problems ie. death. So that is what you would want to worry about with diuretics.

EdgeCrusher
02-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by smalls
I believe it's the electrolyte loss/imbalance that causes the problems ie. death. So that is what you would want to worry about with diuretics.

Yeah, some people have seizures or die from crazy stuff like that - just to cut some water weight, doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

_-_v_-_
02-08-2003, 07:24 PM
The electrolyte imbalance was precisely what I was referring to.