PDA

View Full Version : Very Skinny Bastard, how to start

dethfire
02-07-2003, 10:54 PM
Hey all. My first post! Anyway alot of you are real impressive and obviously these picture I have here posted are of me very pathetic. I'm 140lbs at 6'0. I haven't started building other than a few rounds of pullups, pushups ans crunches a day. My family geneticly is extremely thin. I don't want to be real big, no offense. I'm just looking for a little more bulk and muscle definition. For instance I really like the "soccer" physique.

So anyway, don't laugh. Any tips how I should start out?

http://www.physicspost.com/temp/one.jpg
http://www.physicspost.com/temp/two.jpg
http://www.physicspost.com/temp/three.jpg
http://www.physicspost.com/temp/four.JPG
http://www.physicspost.com/temp/five.JPG
http://www.physicspost.com/temp/six.JPG

WillKuenzel
02-07-2003, 11:05 PM
First off, pull you pants up. :D

Okay seriously, welcome to the boards and don't worry about where you are starting. I started off just the same, just smaller and a little shorter.

Rirst, eat! And eat alot. You need to eat, eat and eat. Eat until you are full and then eat that much more. Try to eat 5-6 meals a day. Getting plenty of calories. Because you are skinny and most of your family is thin too you probably have the metabolism to eat whatever you want. Use that to your advantage. Eat and eat everything you can get your hands on.

When I started out I looked very similar to you. I slowly put on pound here and there but nothing like I am now. The key is diet and nutrition. Try to get around 1gram of protein per pound of body weight, as well as as many calories as you can.

Do you have access to free weights? Are you member of a gym or can you use the school's gym? Free weights would be best and I would recommend WBB routine 1. Found here. (http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=25) This will be your best bet just starting out.

Again, welcome and good luck!

kook
02-07-2003, 11:06 PM
pics arent working
..all i see is toothpicks

serious though just eat i wish i had you skiinny jerks metabolism
if u really wanna gain some muscle though ,just pushups..chinups and crunches wont cut it.. especially if you do them everyday

dethfire
02-07-2003, 11:13 PM
..all i see is toothpicks
hahaha, good one

Try to eat 5-6 meals a day.
Yeah it's tough though, dorm food is nasty!

Try to get around 1gram of protein per pound of body weight.
Seems like alot, I got some cans of chicken that have like 25g. So I gotta eat nearly 6 cans of it? I got some protein powder, but at 140 grams a day it won't last a week.

just pushups..chinups and crunches wont cut it.. especially if you do them everyday
Can you explain this a little more, I'm interested.

Do you have access to free weights? Are you member of a gym or can you use the school's gym? Free weights would be best and I would recommend WBB routine 1. Found here
Yes, but football player crowd in an intimidate me. Are free weights like barbells? I will take a look at that routine.

thanks!!

kook
02-07-2003, 11:26 PM
working all those muscles every single day without rest is not good.. need rest to grow muscle.. eat and rest

dethfire
02-07-2003, 11:29 PM
even if it's not alot of stress? I do 2 x 5 reps of pullups, 2 x 30 crunches and 3 x 15 pushups. I should still take a rest day?

also, how important is stretching before and after working out?

Coconutz100
02-08-2003, 02:52 AM
How old are you, if I may ask?

If you don't want to go to the gym, you could spend $50 bucks and get over 100lbs of plates including a barbell. But right now you should not worry too much about things like tricep or bicep or forearm excercises. Focus on adding more weight to your frame by eating quality food -- note QUALITY. And adding more protein for growth is essential, not an option to be shrugged off.

And if you just starting out, do lots o' pushups (keep adding more and more each week so that you're progressing, but you should have a rest day for growth). You could do sit ups if you want, but I'd be more concerned with adding weight using excercises that target large muscle groups. The pushups is really more a way to introduce your body to stresses and soreness. Once you learn how it feels, you gradually go up in tolerance and soon you'll be training heavier and heavier.

Bench = chest, squats = lower body/some upper body, Barbell Rows = back, deadlifts = back, upper body, hams, depending on form.

Do those, and keep progressing and you'll feel tighter and a little more fuller (hopefully). One last thing is be patient and realistic. You won't see astounding gains but you'll see gains. In the next three months, the only thing that should be on your mind is changing your body (if ever so slightly). Always go forward, never stay in one spot or worse or all, go backwards.

And keep in mind all these factors must be acknowledged or you will see poorer or no gains at all. As long as you follow the advice in this thread and keep us posted you should do well:

-eat right -- more protein for sure
-sleep right -- at least 6-8 hours. 5 is stretching it really badly.
-train intensely (this takes practice to work up towards) The muscles in your body needs to be shocked into growth. No gentleness will prod them to grow, only heavy, intense work.

Munky
02-08-2003, 10:31 AM
If i were you and didn't have any weight lifting equipment i would either A. Buy some if i was really serious about gaining muscle. B. Sign up to a gym. I wouldn't really worry about what people think of you weight lifting at a gym. You'll probly get respect for at least trying to make yourself bigger and better.

PeterParker
02-08-2003, 10:37 AM
Hi there.........................
get a tan................................................:hello:
I started out pretty much as you, 1st thing i did is go on a bed.
im not being vain but trust me it will do a world of good for you.

EdgeCrusher
02-08-2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by PeterParker
Hi there.........................
get a tan................................................:hello:
I started out pretty much as you, 1st thing i did is go on a bed.
im not being vain but trust me it will do a world of good for you.

er... what does a tan have to do with getting big? in fact, giving yourself cancer gets you small.

Nights
02-08-2003, 10:56 PM
What everyone else said, mostly.. If you are serious about this, you either need to join a gym, or at least get some more equipment. Pushups, chinups and the such will only get you so far. If your only reason for not joining a gym is the intimidation factor, don't worry about it. Everyone starts small and weak, so don't think that anyone will be staring at you and laughing. If anything, people at the gym are too concerned about what their doing to really care, or even notice. It's a personal fear I had to get over too.

And as a side note, I started about 10 pounds heavier then you are, and have put on some decent size in my year and a half. And even if you don't want to be big (like you mentioned) don't worry about it. You won't wake up with Ronnie Coleman's physique by accident.. and training to get big and training to get 'a little bigger' is pretty much the same deal. Just the time on the two are a -little- different.

PeterParker
02-09-2003, 01:48 AM
getting a tan wont get you big.
everybody knows that.
what my point was/ is, i started out exactly the same and didnt join a gym for ages because i thought i would get laughed at.......... skinny and the colour of snow.
therefore i got a tan as a confidence booster, i did me a world of good,
thats all. if you want to get big - get a game plan, stick to it and remember rome was not built in a day ;)

Exnor
02-09-2003, 05:46 PM
A few things I have learnt the hard way that you should probably know about:

1. Push it hard, but make sure you gradually push it harder and harder. Its not a good idea for example to have done nothing for months before and then suddenly do 5 or 6 days of the most intense workouts youve ever done in your life. You dont want to injure yourself.

2. Make sure when you start out with freeweights that your form is good. Form is very very important when lifting, again you can cause yourself some harm if you adopt a bad form that you continue to use day in day out. Get the guy at the gym to introduce you to the weights and the main excersizes, dont be shy, he and all the other people in the gym had to do the same thing when they started out.

3. I stress this quite strongly - make sure your breathing technique is good! This is very overlooked in bodybuilding but is very important, you can cause some serious harm to yourself if you dont breath properly, your blood pressure can increase drastically leading to all sorts of problems. It's far too easy to forget about breathing with all the other things you have to think about, but just try to remember, until you can do it without even thinking about it (if you can).

4. Warm up in 2 ways - firstly, do 15-20 mins on the tredmill/or just simply run around a bit of you cant get access to one, or cycle etc. to get your body temperature up to prepare you for some excersize. Secondly, warm up any big muscle groups you plan to use before excersizing them, this may even help you push yourself that little bit further (it certainly does for me with leg excersizes), and obviously can help prevent injury.

Thats about all I can think of right now, some of which ive screwed up on in the past and had to pay the price for.

Oh and one other small point, eat **** loads but try not to eat too much of crap foods, i.e: loads of doughnuts. You'll just make yourself unhealthy. My advise for food includes - meat (Esp. steak), fish (Esp. Tuna), eggs (3-4 yolks max a week - use eggwhite for the rest of your omelette), fruit (bananas, apples, pears, grapes, whatever :)), veggies (potatos - jacket, chips, carrot, peas etc.), Oatmeal/Mulsi/Wholegrain Bread, LOADS of water, and milk.

BB is kinda a way of life, for most people. The "feel good factor" of yourself is increased drastically once you get properly into it, and you will love it. Good luck and enjoy yourself!

NotSoBig
02-09-2003, 06:56 PM
Dude eat all day long. Get your arse to Burger King and stuff down as many woppers as you can in a day. Eat pizzas, junk food, everything. Every single thing you can get your hands on.

Dont buy new clothes, buy FOOD! There shouldnt be 1 minute in the day where you dont have some sort of food in your mouth.

Eat eat eat eat eat! The word of today is eat. E-A-T

Wolfman
02-09-2003, 08:26 PM
A year ago, I wasn't much bigger than you. I have been working out HARD 4-5 days a week, eating a helluva lot, taking a lot of whey protien and some creatine. Now I am up 25lbs of muscle. my bicep is 2.25" bigger and I look and feel a million times better. Work hard, and stick with it, even if you feel like nothing is happening for a long time...it will!!!! Getting a tan definately helps as well. Good luck bro.

AstronautJones
02-09-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by NotSoBig
Dude eat all day long. Get your arse to Burger King and stuff down as many woppers as you can in a day. Eat pizzas, junk food, everything. Every single thing you can get your hands on.

On the contrary, I would recommend eating relatively clean. You want to turn into a buff bastard, not a fat bastard.

Exnor
02-09-2003, 09:06 PM
My point exactly AstronautJones

kAiXuan
02-09-2003, 09:21 PM
how can a vegan be 220lbs?

EdgeCrusher
02-09-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by kAiXuan
how can a vegan be 220lbs?

Heh. I was 260 lbs when I went vegetarian. I was 240 when I went Vegan. I was and still am overweight. A good weight for me is 180.

Besides, Veganism isn't starvation, regardless of what some jokers do.

EdgeCrusher
02-09-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by NotSoBig

Dont buy new clothes, buy FOOD! There shouldnt be 1 minute in the day where you dont have some sort of food in your mouth.

Eat eat eat eat eat! The word of today is eat. E-A-T

Hope you're joking. That's a horrible way to get big. Granted, he'll gain weight, but not much muscle.

Wolfman
02-09-2003, 10:09 PM
I eat junk food and gain muscle. Of course I use alot of protien powder too. I don't eat burgers and pizzas exclusively though.

EdgeCrusher
02-09-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Wolfman
I eat junk food and gain muscle. Of course I use alot of protien powder too. I don't eat burgers and pizzas exclusively though.

I'm guessing your supplements and workouts help too. And if you cut the crap you might do even better.

PeterParker
02-10-2003, 02:51 AM
you gotta eat clean, just think of your arterys with all that fat from junk food.
the odd takeaway once a week is ok, but all the timetuttut
i dont want to get big and buff and then die from a heartattack............

NotSoBig
02-10-2003, 04:37 AM
Maybe im nuts, but I ate nothing but crap for 4 years and put on a good amount of muscle with minimum effort. I put on alot of fat too, but still...

vman
02-18-2003, 08:39 AM
beleive me, i had my arteries checked last week and you dont want to go through it...beleive me.

luckily im clean clean clean :)

skinnyguy2005
01-29-2005, 09:21 PM
I was 6ft and only 114.5 LBS ! What the hell was I doing. Not eating!
Then I started lifting and eating. I went to 147lbs in about 6 Months.
Then I stopped eating and working out got very busy at work. Then I came down to 127 LBS. Now again I started working out and eating. and Now turned my self to 138 within 4 weeks!
The worst thing is I did not know that I was skinny cause my face doesnt look skinny. When I take my face pics, I look pretty hot. When I take the whole body pic then I realized how skinny I am.

Now I am not going to rest until I am 200LBS

Is my face gonna change ? Will people recognize me who seen me now and when I was 114.5 LBS ?

Tafman
01-29-2005, 10:00 PM
why no before pics of your legs?

eat alot, buy yourself a weight gainer powder. if u dont eat enough, then lifting will be pointless.

lib_tech
01-29-2005, 10:51 PM
skinnyguy, i hope you're kidding about the 200 lbs, we skinny guys werent meant to be 200. 2 months ago i was 6'1, 130 pounds...pathetic? yeah! the only reason for it is cuz we got the metabolizm of..well...somethin really fast.
eat all day long, i never look at a piece of food and say "thats bad for me". if i see it, its in my mouth. also, drink water, make your goal 1 gallon a day, if u can only get a 1/2 gallon, thats still doin darn good. today im 17 years old, still 6'1 and weigh 146. i still see a toothpick when i look in the mirror, but its gettin better. also, look on the bright side: skinny guys can have an 8 pack with minimal effort & with a low body fat u can look ripped so long as ur not standing by a friend who has a big build. it comes slow at first, dont try to take it too fast. my biggest mistake was wanting to up my weight too fast to the point where i sacrificed form. you do that & u dont get as good a workout, not to mention injury.
dont EVER give up & track your progress

HahnB
01-29-2005, 11:03 PM
If you live in a dorm you're gonna need to get your hands on a blender, and some weight gainer or protein mix. Like everyone else said you have two choices, get over you're fear of going to the gym, or buy your own equipment. Either one is fine, but you can workout at your school for free so I'd opt for that.

Read around in the diet/nutrition forum and study wbb routine 1 as suggested and learn what all the different exersises are- if you don't already know.

smalls
01-30-2005, 12:15 AM
skinnyguy, i hope you're kidding about the 200 lbs, we skinny guys werent meant to be 200. 2

That's the point, to defy the odds. To improve on what we where given. I started at 140 and am currently 230. many people on this site have had similar gains.

Munky
01-30-2005, 08:47 AM
Dude i think skinny guys can be any weight they want. They just gotta work harder than anyone at it.

skinnyguy2005
01-30-2005, 02:09 PM
I dont know if I had fast metabolism or an anarexic. I would not eat. I would be starving but still not bother to eat. Thats why I was so skinny. But now that I manage to eat 4-5 times a day and work out three times a week, I gained 10 pounds in a month. Do you think I can do 10 pounds per month for next 4-5 months ? Is it it going to slow down.
This is what happned last time when I went from 114.5 to 147, I stopped gaining weight at 147 and slowly I quit traning and stopped eating and I dropped down to 127 in about 6 months.
This is what I eat now ---

I wake up very late sometimes at 10AM sometimes even at 1PM this is because I am awake until 2Am - 3AM in the night. No matter when I go to bed I always make sure I get 8 hours of sleep at least.
After I wake up I eat whole wheat bread with penaut butter and then drink a glass of whey protien mixed with whole milk.

Then I go to work, I eat 1 protien bar and then drink Ensure Plus which has 350 Calories. Then Again after 2 Hours I eat the protien bar and Ensure Plus, sometimes I replace with 1 baked Chicken breast and some rice then I make sure I drink the ensure plus.

Then 1 hour before I work out I eat 1 protien bar or Chicken breast and then drink Ensure Plus.

I work out and immmideatly I take 1 Carbo force which has 100GM of Carb and 500 Calories.

Then after 1 hour I eat 1 chicken breast and 1 ensure plus.

Then before I go to Sleep I drink 1 glass of Whey Protien mixed with Milk.

Lets count my calories and Protien Intake.

Breakfast -
Calories - 70 +140 +120 = 330
Protien - 20+2+8 = 30

Meal 2
Calories - 350 +210 =560
Protien - 16+13 = 29

Meal 3
Calories - 350 +210 =560
Protien - 16+13 = 29

Meal 4
Calories - 120 +350 =470
Protien - 35+13 = 48

After work out -
500 Calories

1 hour after work out

Meal 4
Calories - 120 +350 =470
Protien - 35+13 = 48

Before Bed

Calories - 120
Protien - 20+2+8 = 30

Total protien 214G - my weight is 138 I should be eating 276 g of protien. But its so hard to find right food.

Total Calories Intake in a work out day = 3010
Non Workout Day = 3010 - 500 = 2510

Any Suggestions ? Comment ? Any changes I need to do ?

Gabrielle
01-30-2005, 11:22 PM
hey skinnyhuy2005..start your own thread, please

you have gotten a lot of great advice so far...just remember to stick to it...good luck

zer06ame
01-31-2005, 06:34 AM
Seems like alot, I got some cans of chicken that have like 25g. So I gotta eat nearly 6 cans of it? I got some protein powder, but at 140 grams a day it won't last a week.
you don't have to get all of your protein in one sitting...you can eat it throughout the the day...like drink a protein shake, have a can of tuna (high protein), eat some pb&j + milk throughout the day, you should be able to get in 140g by that, hell, i get enough and i'm 5 foot 7/8 152lbs (started bulking 1 week ago exactly, gained 4lbs so far, as far as i can tell, muscle)

orbital
01-31-2005, 09:49 PM
skinnyguy, i hope you're kidding about the 200 lbs, we skinny guys werent meant to be 200

I was 140-150 at 6'0 all through high school. I'm only about 5 pounds away from 200 now at the same height. Still don't consider myself that big. But hey, I wasn't meant to be this big :scratch:

dethfire
02-23-2005, 08:50 PM
I'm bringing this topic back from the dead so I don't start another one. Anyway, my first pics were from along time ago and I just started lifting again, it's been about 2 months twice a week. Please tell me what I should work on.

IrideVolks
02-23-2005, 09:18 PM
your pretty much my exact size. But dang man good gains since the first pics. Doin great dont give up

Canadian Crippler
02-23-2005, 11:15 PM
Awesome progress.

FireBug
02-24-2005, 11:46 AM
Great progess, keep it up.

vypergts
03-23-2005, 02:32 PM
I'm a little confused, the first pics were in 2003 right? So have you been lifting since then or just the last 2 months?