PDA

View Full Version : Diet Critique

WaterWalker
02-08-2003, 02:53 PM
Hey all,
Been reading your threads for a few months now. Finally decided to face facts and count calories. How's this for a bulking diet. I'm 6ft, 196 lbs at 11%. Let me know what you think.-thanks!

Meal 1-
1/2 cup oatmeal
eggs (1 whole, 5 whites)
2 Tbsp. Natty PB
Kiwi

Meal 2-
2 scoop whey
serving almonds
2 piece wheat bread
apple

Meal 3
Can tuna
2 pieces wheat bread
serving cheese
1 cup veggies

Meal 4 (Post W.O.)
2 scoop whey
2 pieces wheat bread
2 Tbsp Jam
2 Tbsp natty PB

Meal 5
1 chick. breast
1/2 cup brown rice
1 cup veggies
1/2 avocado

Meal 6
2 cup 2% cottage cheese

Totals
cals-3507.5
carbs(g)-348.5
protein(g)-309.5
fats(g)-109.5

bradley
02-08-2003, 04:12 PM
Looks pretty good IMO. Might add in some flax instead of some of the other fat sources to get some omega-3's. Better yet use fish oil.

Do you take any kind of postworkout shake? If so how much protein/carbs does it consist of? Just out of curiosity.

JohnnyAutoParts
02-08-2003, 05:06 PM
Yeah except for the lack of post workout high GI carbs, the diet looks ideal!

WaterWalker
02-08-2003, 05:47 PM
I was taking GNC's Mega MRP for a couple of months, but I switched to Optimun Nutrition's 100% whey. This way I could use the whey twice a day because it doesn't contain all the sugar. 2 scoops contains 220 cal, 6g carbs, 44g protein, and 3g fat. Would it be good to switch the chicken breast for salmon to get the omega-3's and could I eat a banana after W.O. along with the PB and J sandwich for high GI carbs?

Manveet
02-08-2003, 06:06 PM
Get some dextrose for the high GI post workout, mix it right in with your protein shake. I would eat more whole eggs, but that's just me. Your diet looks good.

WaterWalker
02-08-2003, 06:15 PM
Is the sugar in jelly/jam good for high GI carbs? And what about Salmon rather than chicken for the omega-3's?

kook
02-08-2003, 06:44 PM
salmon is probly the best food source for omega3's but that can get expensive if youre gonna eat salmon every day might be easier and cheaper to use fish oil like brad said

Manveet
02-08-2003, 07:04 PM
Is the sugar in jelly/jam good for high GI carbs?

dextrose or maltodextrin are the best for post workout.

WaterWalker
02-08-2003, 11:03 PM
I'm all about saving money. Thanks for the info. guys. I appreciate you taking the time!

bradley
02-09-2003, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by WaterWalker
I was taking GNC's Mega MRP for a couple of months, but I switched to Optimun Nutrition's 100% whey. This way I could use the whey twice a day because it doesn't contain all the sugar. 2 scoops contains 220 cal, 6g carbs, 44g protein, and 3g fat. Would it be good to switch the chicken breast for salmon to get the omega-3's and could I eat a banana after W.O. along with the PB and J sandwich for high GI carbs?

As Manveet suggested I would go with dextrose or malto postworkout. Dextrose is actually very cheap. SKip out on the peanut butter post workout because the fat will just slow the digestion of the whey which is not ideal postworkout. If you take whey at any other time throughout the day I would mix it with milk to slow the digestion. Hope this makes sense. Basically you want the whey to digest quickly postworkout but slowly at other times throughout the day.

Salmon is a great whole food source of omega 3's but like others have said it can get expensive. Although I buy my Salmon at Sam's in 6lb bags that have the filets pre-packaged and frozen for $8 I believe. If you have access to a Sam's club or something similar might want to check out the frozen meats they have. Good buys IMO.

WaterWalker
02-09-2003, 12:23 PM
Yes, that makes sense. I was going to wait 30-40 mins. after taking the whey Post W.O. to let the whey digest, then eat the PB and J. Taking the whey w/ milk earlier in the day is good advice since casein digests slowly. Oh, and I do have access to a Sam's. I bought some of those prepackaged Salmon fillets. Not to bad. Thanks again. The diet starts tomorrow, so any advice is helpful!