PDA

View Full Version : EdgeCrusher's Journal

EdgeCrusher
02-08-2003, 09:13 PM
This is my journal:

Height: 5'10.5"
Weight: 220 lbs on 02/07/02
Bodyfat: Not good at all - the gut must go!

Goal:

Weight: 180 lbs by Summer 2003

Diet:

Morning (around 9:00): Isolated Protein Shake
Lunch (around 11/12): Vegan Burrito - Rice, Black Beans, Salsa, Lettuce, Avocado.
Mid-day snack (around 3): 1 Banana and 1 Clif Bar (Carrot Cake rocks the house)
Dinner (around 5:30): Pad Thai with Tofu bowl (Ethnic Gourmet)
Night (around 9/10): Isolated Protein Shake

Workout (3 days a week - monday, wednesday, friday):

15-30 minutes stairclimber
15-30 minutes bike
0-30 minutes elliptical
3-4 sets of Curls (generally 30+ pounds for 15 reps)
2 sets Bench (generally 160 lbs for 15 reps - which I'm gonna pick the weight up and drop the reps)
3-4 sets of lat pulls (15 reps, weight depends)
50 crunches/sit-ups

Supplements:

If cutting:
2 Ripped Fuel @ morning, 2 @ 5 pm
1 Centrum Vitamin
3 Flax Seed Pills

If not (bulking):
1 Centrum Vitamin
2 Calcium
3 Flax Seed
1 Ginseng
1 Complex B Vitamin

Also, I'm Vegan - which is pretty looked down upon, but it's a moral thing which I'm not to keen on changing.

I'm currently cutting for the next 12 weeks, 3 weeks on an EC (Ripped Fuel), 3 off, 3 on, 3 off. Then it's back to bulking if I can hit 200 lbs.

Please tell me what you'd change (besides the Vegan thing).

02/08/03 - Day 3 of cutting

_-_v_-_
02-08-2003, 09:46 PM
Glad to see that you've started a journal.

One thing, though.

Your routine. It, well, it could be better.

My suggestions:

1) Weight-train three days per week: Push; Pull; Legs.

2) High Intensity Interval Cardio: 2 days per week.

3) Rest: Two days per week.

Trust me; this will work much better than what you currently have going. HIIT (High Intensity...) is unsurpassed for fat loss, IMO.

Regarding your diet: I have no problems with vegans; just make sure you get enough complete protein (learn which foods make complete proteins when combined). Also, cut down on the sugar intake: bananas/clif bars = pure sugar.

Get some healthful fats in your diet too: olive oil, almonds, peanuts, flax, etc...

If you have any questions, feel free to post them here.

EdgeCrusher
02-08-2003, 09:56 PM
OK, I'll take your advice and correct my routine as you've said. The ISP shakes have the complete protein build, and I get 50 grams of protein from those 2 shakes. Think I should probably ditch the banana/clif bar snack and add another shake?

I'm sure this shows my lack of knowledge, but do you have a good link or 2 that explains HIIT well? I looked online, but most were a bit dense for me.

_-_v_-_
02-08-2003, 10:45 PM
Re: HIIT. Go to the training section; there is a sticky post by Powerman (a damn smart fella) which details why HIIT is so effective.

Re: Meals. I would rather eat a whole meal (low GI carbs, complete proteins, healthful fats) than substitute a shake. Also, it seems that your overall caloric intake is a bit low; have you calculated how much you're eating?

fuzz
02-08-2003, 10:51 PM
Clif bars are pretty devoid of any good nutritional value - basically just a lot of sugar. I'd recommend getting a more complete protein bar, like MetRX food bars or something. I'm not sure how they fit into the vegan thing, though...

EdgeCrusher
02-08-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by _-_v_-_
Re: HIIT. Go to the training section; there is a sticky post by Powerman (a damn smart fella) which details why HIIT is so effective.

Re: Meals. I would rather eat a whole meal (low GI carbs, complete proteins, healthful fats) than substitute a shake. Also, it seems that your overall caloric intake is a bit low; have you calculated how much you're eating?

My intake is a bit low. It's about 1.5 - 1.75k, which I figure is mediocre for cutting. Slap me if I'm wrong.

Any ideas on a whole meal that is vegan?

EdgeCrusher
02-08-2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by fuzz
Clif bars are pretty devoid of any good nutritional value - basically just a lot of sugar. I'd recommend getting a more complete protein bar, like MetRX food bars or something. I'm not sure how they fit into the vegan thing, though...

A fair amount of the bars are vegan. I'll find something different to replace the Clif bar - my main reasoning was that they taste so much better than the other bars - but that's hardly a good reason to eat it because pizza tastes good too, heh.

EdgeCrusher
02-08-2003, 11:02 PM
Lemmie know if my EC cycling is safe, smart, and effective - I don't wanna hurt myself, but I want the stuff to work right.

_-_v_-_
02-09-2003, 07:52 AM
I'm not too familiar with proper EC use; never tried the stuff myself.

As for whole meals, however, can you cook up some brown rice, beans, and olive oil the night before? Or perhaps whole wheat bread and peanut butter?

And your caloric intake does seem low; given your weight, I'd bump it up to, say, about 2400. Aim to lose 1/2-1 lb per week; any more and you'll be sacrificing a greater percentage of muscle tissue.

EdgeCrusher
02-09-2003, 09:09 PM
Just measured my biceps - 14" - not too bad for right now, but I'm gonna have to jack them up.

EdgeCrusher
02-10-2003, 06:14 PM
Day 6 of cutting:

I downed 1 protein shake, 1 multivitamin, 2 RF's in morning
Followed by 2 Vegan Burritos
Then a Vegan Outmeal
Like an idiot, I ate some candy I got for Valentine's - read label and found out I ate 840 calories of sugar candy.
Hit myself in face (joke)
Downed 2 RF's
Did 20 minutes of Aerobics (Tae Bo plus streching)
5 sets of Curls at 15 reps with 35 pound weights
Protein Shake tonight

So I guess I'm gonna be told this is not what you do to get big, but to get small right? It's a crap walk to my gym and it's snowing - so no go on gym work today. Also, how decent is this as I am cutting? Think I did OK? (Even though I screwed myself with the candy)

EdgeCrusher
02-11-2003, 07:10 PM
Day 7 of Cutting

Multivitamin, 3 Flax Seed Pills, 2 ES Tylenol, 2 RF's, 1 ISP shake
1 Vegan Burrito
1 ES Tylenol, 2 RF's, 1 bowl veggie soup + 1 bowl of brocolli, cauliflower, mushrooms
1 Vegan Oatmeal
1 Protein Shake

I did 2 sets of Dumbell Kickbacks at 30 pounds, 2 sets of Dumbell sholder shruggs, 2 sets curls.

I'm about to do Tae Bo, read for homework, and go to bed.

Drank about 8 cups of water so far.

EdgeCrusher
02-12-2003, 07:33 PM
Day 8 of cutting:

Today sucked.

My computer broke about 3 hours ago, so I had to reboot it, but I don't have my net card CD, so I can't use my laptop until the weekend (I'm on a school computer right now).

I opened my new Isolated Soy Protein powder and realized I'd rather eat my toenails rather than drink it - so no shakes till the weekend too (when I have access to a GNC).

I downed 1 multivitamin, 2 ES tylenol for the pain in my back, 3 flax seed oil pills, and 2 RFs.
I had 1 Vegan Burrito
2 RFs, 1 packet of trail mix (raisens plus nuts) for 295 calories
1 Vegan chili
Did 3 sets of curls, tried to do some dumbell benching, but without a bench (I was too bumbed to walk over to a gym), it was lame.
I can't do Tae Bo because all my vids are no longer on my computer. I could do it from memory, but the exact procedure and timing and tempo would suck.
No ISP shake tonight

ARGH!!!

I'm considering walking across campus @ 9:30 pm to the gym so I don't feel like a massive fat idiot, but I'm not sure.

Hopefully my day, eating, and workout will be better tomarrow.

Edit: I went to the gym and did the stairmaster, bike, and more curls. I would grade my day a B.

EdgeCrusher
02-13-2003, 07:27 PM
Day 9: Cutting

2 RFs, 1 MV, 3 FLO, 1 cup (or 1.5 cups) of vanilla soy milk
Vegan Burrito
2 RFs, ISP Shake
1 Complex B, 1 Ginseng
Vegan Chili, 2 Bowls (5 cups of Cereal plus about 3 cups vanilla soy milk) of Corn Pops. <-- Not to good I suppose.

I figure the 4 meals should've been 5 minimum, and the 4th shouldn't have been so much food and sugar. I'll try to correct that next time.

I did 2 sets of shoulders (2 more to go), 1 set of tri's (1 more to go), and I have to do my aerobics + sit-ups.

I figure I ate mediocre for a cutting day, but then again, I'm sitting a the computer and I feel like my body is pretty warm and I bet I'll be hungry by tonight (which I think means my body is metabolism is using it for energy right now - tell me if I'm wrong).

It's 9:22 and I have to write 2 paragraphs on a Greek God + do the rest of my workout - not too bad I guess. I had my busiest day (4 classes in a row) today, and tomarrow I have 3, then it's off to GNC and reinstalling my computer stuff.

I've noticed I am a bit less tired since Winter Break, so I'm getting used to college life again. Only problem is that my side hurts a bit - kinda like a soreness/pain where my kidneys are. I think it's from my working out - but I'm not too worried because it doesn't hurt often or much at all really. Also, my back is fine now. :)

gopher
02-14-2003, 03:32 AM
You seem to be taking a low volume approach to your lifting. If I may make a few suggestions:
Push day
Bench press, dips, and over head press. 2 or 3 working sets of each.
Pull day
Deadlift, chins, some sort of curl if you feel you must isolate the bis.
Leg day
Squats, straight leg deads, calf raises

The big compound lifts are going to be far more effective than isolation movements like kick backs and curls.

NateDogg
02-14-2003, 05:38 AM
:withstupi

Also, and I'm not trying to be an ass here. Have you looked at the ingredients on your multi-vitamin and your other pills to assure that there is no gelatin coating?

Coke
02-14-2003, 06:36 AM
Good luck with everything:cool:

EdgeCrusher
02-16-2003, 03:22 PM
I am being a slacker in the workout category, but It's gonna be a while before I head back to the gym (I really don't like it and it's a horrible and cold walk there).

Some pills have gelatin, it's kind of a moral quandry to me, but I consider it a necessary evil right now - and I replace any pills I can get with a non Gelatin pill when I find them.

Weighed in Friday and I came in @ 218! 2 pound loss and my arms are bigger (or feel that way). I ate like an idiot this weekend, so it's gonna be a tough week to lose a pound this week (but I'll do it).