PDA

View Full Version : Project GET BIGGER - CollegeBoy

CollegeBoy
02-09-2003, 05:13 PM
Well. Journal entry number ONE.

I am in my 2nd year (of 5) of architecture school and it is HELL. Free time is almost nonexistant.

My last year in high school was great. I was medium-sized and it was going great. I fell off of my lifting schedule, though. I didn't want to pay the gym fee, not to mention it is about 20 minutes across town.

So now I have a nice incline/decline bench at home. 7 foot olympic bar, 5-45 lb dumbbells, 5-45lb plates, curl bar. The bench has a leg lift/leg curl attachment, and the bar rest posts can be turned around and used as a squat rack (YES!).

I am currently 5'9.5" and 150lbs 15% body fat. In my senior year of high school I was 165lbs and about 10% body fat. Needless to say... I need that old body back.

I am following the WBB 1 routine exactly as it is written.

FRIDAY:

chest and back day. Since I am just getting back into it, I'm taking the first week easy. I did nothing to failure (yet) until I get into the groove once again.

Flat bench: 115lbs x 8 reps x 2 sets

Incline DB press: 30lbs x 8 reps x 2 sets

Dips (bodyweight): 8 reps x 2 sets

No chin-ups, need to find a doorway chin-up bar.

Deadlifts (tuttut don't laugh): 115lbs x 8 reps x 2 sets

Shrugs (using bar): 115lbs x 10 reps x 1 set

Again, I felt that I could lift quite a bit more (especially on the deadlift) but after 2 years of sitting on my ass I feel that starting a little light can't hurt anything.

SUNDAY (today): Legs

Squats: 115lbs (shh! :D) x 8 reps x 2 sets

Leg Curls: 20lbs x 8 reps on the first set and 30lbs x 6 reps on the second set

Straight legged deadlifts: 115 x 8 reps x 2 sets

No calves today. I need to find something suitable to stand on.

Quad extentions (added to the WBB1 routine): 50 x 8 reps x 2 sets

So that's it boys and girls. I'm keeping a log book for the first time ever and I can already see that it will be a great tool to keep me motivated. I also see it as a good way to learn where I need work and where I need to modify an exercise.

Comments on my :redface: weight figures? :D

Thanks,
JD

JD77
02-09-2003, 05:41 PM
How does your diet look CollegeBoy? I haven't studied WBB1 much, but if you're following it appropriately, Good Job! Stick with it and be patient.

:spam:

CollegeBoy
02-09-2003, 06:10 PM
School seriously compromises my diet and sleep.

I try to get 4 good meals per day. I always eat breakfast. I usually have chicken or SOME sort of meat (I'm pure carnivore at heart hehe). I am going to try to up my caloric intake to around 2800 cals for about two months and then level it out. If I start getting FAAAT then I'll surely cut it down more quickly.

I average about 8 hours of sleep per night, but I can bump that up to about 9 or 10 if I get work done early.

So I've got food... I've got sleep... and I've got iron. We'll see what these three things will do for me ;)

JD77
02-09-2003, 07:26 PM
I'm certainly not one a nutrition expert like so many of the other guys in here, but I think you may want 3000 cals if your goal is to get bigger. If I'm wrong, one of those guys is gonna flame me for sure, but that's what I think. If it's possible, spread your meals out a bit more. Maybe 5 or six times a day.

I'm sure you know to keep your protein intake around 1 gram per pound of bodyweight. Tuna, milk, eggs and whey are great sources of protein and the first three are dirt cheap, just what someone in college appreciates.

You'll find in the other threads with guys about your size who are looking to get big, a lot of statements are made placing emphasis on eating. You probably have a fast metabolism, so eat everything nutritional you can get your hands on.

CollegeBoy
02-09-2003, 07:42 PM
Well, it is very VERY hard for me to eat that many meals per day. I take 17 hours of classes, and I am in the studio all day long and into the night. My life is hell :(

Somehow I am going to find a way to make this workout schedule work. I guess I can keep some food in the studio. I do have a bunch of myoplex mass (something like 500 calories) that I get for very cheap. Tastes good too... like cake mix :D

I suppose that I can use two or so myoplex mass shakes per day. That will get me 1000 calories. I can scrounge up 2000 more from regular meals.

Coke
02-10-2003, 10:35 AM
Hi CollegeBoy,

Good luck with your goals. Such ambition to be taking classes all day and then add in whatever, it can be much but you can do it.:)

If you can get hold of some more protein powders such as whey and also some more MRPs, mix them together and then make a shake or two before leaving. Drink these while/between classes, just experiment etc...:cool:

CollegeBoy
02-10-2003, 11:00 PM
Today was an off-day. I'm SORE. Sweet Jesus I'm sore! I feel great, though! I'm going to pick up the pace a litle bit tomorrow.

CollegeBoy
02-11-2003, 01:30 PM
This completes week 1! Oh man am I frail! Puny weak lil boy...

This is the first time I've had a workout program since summer of '02.

Shoulders, Bi and Tri today...

Military press: 80lbs x 8 reps x 2 sets (should have gone for 90lbs)

Seated dumbbell press: 30lbs x 8 reps x 2 sets (30lbs - biggest dumbbells that I have. Could have done 14 reps if I wanted to. Need heaver dumbbells!!!)

Standing Lateral Raises: 10lbs x 10 reps x 2 sets

Narrow grip bench: 120lbs x 7 reps x 2 sets (failure)

French press: 50lbs x 6 reps x 2 sets

Barbell Curls: 70lbs x 8 reps x 2 sets

Hammer Curls: 20lbs x 8 reps x 1 set

And that concludes this week. Tune in next time :cool:

kook
02-11-2003, 05:27 PM
whats up college skinny boy
if you can eat the 2000cals regular food and 1000 from shakes you should be good to go

whats the weight goal?

CollegeBoy
02-11-2003, 07:07 PM
I want to get from 150 (currently) back to 170 or possibly 175. I miss the old days. I think 3000 calories will work. I'm looking to reach my weight goal by mid to late May.

Think I can pull it off? I do.

kook
02-11-2003, 07:36 PM
of course you can..when you hit a plateau on the weight gain you'll have to bump that number up.. and your skinny and metabolism is probly high so dont worry about gaining fat..

and if you dont pull it off you can count on me waiting for you in the parking lot ready to bust you in the head
(hows that for motivation)

CollegeBoy
02-11-2003, 07:41 PM
How's this for motivation? I'll kick YOUR ass.

Just give me a while. ;)

Vido
02-11-2003, 07:51 PM
Is that 17 hours of class a week or per day?

CollegeBoy
02-11-2003, 07:54 PM
Per week. Add 6-8 hours each day (including weekends) onto that for studio time. I often see the sun set and rise in one sitting.

Vido
02-11-2003, 08:05 PM
It sounds like you are going to try to make some changes in your diet to incorporate more meals and I applaud you for that. Using school or work as an excuse for not eating just doesn't cut it for me. There are 24 hours in a day, and if you make eating frequently a priority, then everything else will work around it.

Mik
02-11-2003, 08:29 PM
Good luck with the goals collegeboy. Starting a journal was a great step. Now keep hitting the weights and eat,eat,eat.;)

CollegeBoy
02-11-2003, 08:45 PM
I love the Myoplex Mass. I know a LOT of people hate myoplex and all it stands for because of the costs, etc. I'm lucky to be able to get it for cost. Dollar for dollar, the nutrition that I can get out of one of those things as well as the ease of making the shake really outweighs "real" food in some instances.

I can sit in studio and go put a packet in a shaker and throw in some water and have my 500 cals right there (or whatever it is... 450?). I doubt food intake will be my problem. I think sleep MIGHT be. I always manage to get a good 8 hours in, though. Possibly 9 or 10 on the weekends.

kook
02-11-2003, 09:42 PM
8 hours of sleep is fine.. actually more than that may not be much better anyways

kick my ass? boy you done lost your mind

CollegeBoy
02-11-2003, 09:46 PM
My mind is still here... intact. :nod:

kook
02-11-2003, 09:50 PM
i'll let you slide this time :)

Coke
02-12-2003, 12:33 PM
Can I ask, How do you get your MRP at reduced prices? Looks like you got the hookup:rolleyes: I mean :)

CollegeBoy
02-12-2003, 02:48 PM
My best friend's parents own a Smoothie King. I didn't think you meant :rolleyes:. I would hope not. tuttut

CollegeBoy
02-12-2003, 09:06 PM
Well, I'm 155lbs now. Steady. I've been eating quite a bit :D MMMMMM

Friday is the one week anniversary of starting this out. If I'm 155 now... that's 5lbs in a week. It can't ALL be water weight because it seems pretty steady from morning to night. So... maybe my 165-170 will come up sooner than I thought; although what percentage of that will be fat... is unknown :D

WillKuenzel
02-12-2003, 09:08 PM
Smoothie King, I used to get the hulk everyday. Strawberry flavoured. Man, I miss those.

CollegeBoy
02-12-2003, 09:12 PM
I usually get either a chocolate high-protien, or a vanilla hulk with a scoop of chocolate whey. I DO have to pay full price for smoothies, though. THAT adds up FAST! Thankfully the Myoplex is nice and cheap. Although, it's not the 1000 calories that the hulk is :bow:

WillKuenzel
02-12-2003, 09:29 PM
Getting anything at reduced prices is good enough. Take advantage of it while you can. It might not be the 1000 calories but every little bit helps.

I was lucky at the time that I could pay for those day to day without worrying too much about it. Budgets getting tighter now though.

CollegeBoy
02-12-2003, 09:57 PM
Does anyone have anything to say about eating like a 6oz hamburger (extra lean) every day at around 3pm? I like hamburgers :)

Now that I have this George Foreman grill (oh man... it's so cool... I doubted it at first but it WORKS) I can make anything in under 10 minutes. Fish... chicken... beef. Great invention. All you need is this grill and a blender! :D

rookiebldr
02-12-2003, 10:07 PM
Smoothie King, I've never heard of a place that actually prepares whey drinks and sells them. :cool:

As for the 6oz hamburger, I wouldn't eat a lot of them, i.e. everyday however if your metabolism can handle it then great. You will need to evaluate it in relationship to your complete diet and how clean you want to be with your eating. The cleaner you want then the less saturated fats you will want to eat.

Keep up the effort on the weight training. Progress will be yours and noticable in no time.

CollegeBoy
02-12-2003, 10:26 PM
I may just stick to the boneless chicken breast and Mahi Mahi frozen fish from Sam's. You can get like 12 Mahi Mahi filets for 5 bucks or so. It's a damn good deal. Tastes great too! I also found some SWEET (well... actually spicy) cajun seasoning that is really low in sodium (I got it at the natural foods grocery store) and it makes fish and chicken taste wonderful.

SWOLE
02-12-2003, 10:40 PM
If it makes you feel better, I usually put about 1.25 pounds of lean ground beef in the Foreman and eat that $hit right off of it. ITS GREAT!!! Your program looks good, but the only thing is that with so many days of rest, it doesnt seem like that you are constantly stimulating your muscles so you dont get your heart rate up a lot which could lead to a lot of escess BF. Yes, right now, weight is good for you. But it is just something too consider before you end up like Cartman, BEEFCAKE!!!
Oh yeah, i get smoothie king for free!! but i wouldnt go there otherwise. GOOD LUCK!!!

CollegeBoy
02-12-2003, 10:44 PM
I MIGHT (big might...) do ONE day of cardio on either Wednesday or Thursday (when I have two days in a row off). It couldn't hurt (much).

But right now, I'll probably just really limit my fat intake (no more beef for now) and avoid cardio. I really hate cardio. I hate it a lot. :D Beefcake. BEEFCAKEEE!!!

CollegeBoy
02-14-2003, 04:24 PM
Well this is my second week of the WBB1 routine.

I stacked on the weights this time since I had some figures from last week to reference from.

Looks like I'm up in a lot of areas (I did everything here to NEAR max, within one rep).

Flat barbell bench: 135 x 6 and 135 x 8

Incline Bench: 115 x 5 and 115 x 6 with the bar (I don't have heavy enough dumbbells yet)

Dips (down on these, probably because I used much more weight on bench this time): bodyweight x 8 and bodyweight x 5

Chin-ups: Bodyweight x 4 (:cry: ) and bodyweight x 4

Deadlifts (much more weight this time :D - deadlifts are THE SH*T!!!): 205 x 8 and 205 x 8

Shrugs (used heaviest dumbbells that I have): 30 x 10

That's about it. I need some 45, 50, and 55lb dumbbells so I can do incline DB press and shrugs to my potential. Otherwise - I can already feel some gains from all of that eating that I did last week :D

Did I mention that deadlifts ROCK!!!? :cool:

Suggestions? comments?

CollegeBoy
02-15-2003, 09:59 AM
Anyone?

CollegeBoy
02-16-2003, 12:46 PM
Let's see how we're progressing here, shall we?

Squats: 165x8 reps and 165x6 reps (barely) and then 135x8 reps

Leg Curls: 25x8 and 30x6

Straight legged deadlifts: 165x8 and 185x8

Quad Extentions: 50x8 and 60x8 and 65x8

I didn't do calves again.... I still need to find some way to do those. I guess I could just get a small platform and put the bar on my back... any other suggestions? I have NICELY (not to toot my own horn) shaped calves and they would look great if they were even bigger.

I can REALLY feel my quads getting stronger.

Squats: 165lbs was kind of uncomfortable with the squats. I managed to kind of pin myself (thankfully I had a friend around) on the second set so I squeezed out two more to make 6. Then I unloaded it to 135 and got out 8.

Leg Curls: My hams were kind of dead by the time the squats were over with but I managed to use 25x8 instead of 20x8 this time on the first set, and finished with 30x6 on the last set with some SLIGHT help at the top by my other leg.

SLDL: What can I say... I couldn't walk afterwards.

Quad extentions: I just kept upping the weight and my quads kept accepting it. I need to start heavier next time when I do these. It was amazing thinking back to only a week ago when I was barley chugging along with these... and today I just rapped them out like they were nothing

I had a LITTLE pain in my right knee while doing the quad extentions. I think the pain (not BAD pain) was on the inside of my knee, above my kneecap. In that little depression on the inside of your knee if you extend it. Any ideas as to what this may be? It actually went away fully on the last set of extentions when I was doing the most weight.

Is there anything out there that I can take that will "cushion" my joints?

Thanks all,
JD

rety999
02-16-2003, 01:18 PM
Glucosamine is a supplement that helps cushion joints, but I would recommend either a knee support instead or just working through it because at your age and experience it is probably overkill. I point my toes outward if I tweak my knee during a workout. If you are using a seated leg extension, make sure the angle of your leg is not less than ninety degrees, especially if you have pain. This can also cause unnecessary strain on your joint. There are things you can do to prevent it if it progresses, but these steps are the easiest, proactive and, in my opinion, most effective. I can usually feel immediate results. If the pain worsens during a set and these steps do not help, it is better to stop the workout and rest it with ice. Good luck.

CollegeBoy
02-16-2003, 01:29 PM
The "pain" is only there in the last 3/4 of the movement. What really puzzled me is that the pain stopped completely when I piled on more weight during the 3rd set. :confused: I guess I'll just keep at it. I don't have any pain in the squat or dead lift. Maybe it'll go away as my leg gets stronger. I used to wakeboard a lot, maybe I tweaked something one time and never knew it...

Bad knees are in my family, though. My dad has had three operations in the right, and two in the left. Oh... and a screw holding the right knee together. :bang: I don't need that!

BTW: I am knock-kneed like Reiner is. He mentioned some pain as well...

rety999
02-16-2003, 01:55 PM
Your quad supports the knee and as it grows, it usually adds more support. When I fully extend my leg and flex, I used to get a similar pain due to muscular imbalance but I wasn't concerned because I knew what it was. The best thing you can do to prevent traumatic knee damage, is to keep building your quads. Just learn to distinguish between good and bad pain. In my case, I can tell if the pain is bad when it is constant even after I have stopped my set. Since you have a family history of problems, try my advice and if it doesn't help keep a close eye on it.

CollegeBoy
02-16-2003, 02:00 PM
My parents and my family doctor are close friends (he lives a few blocks over) and I may just drive over there and see what he has to say about it. I'll wash his car or something for his troubles :D

It's really not that bad of a PAIN just kind of a dull uncomfortable feeling. I can press hard on my knee area while doing a lift and it goes away.

But again... it ALL went away when I did my heaviest set which was also my last. So... we'll see what happens next week.

Any comments on my other stuff? Nobody said anything about my last chest and back day.

CollegeBoy
02-17-2003, 09:57 PM
Any more comments?

rookiebldr
02-17-2003, 11:25 PM
Deadlifts do rock!

Coke
02-18-2003, 08:20 AM
Hey. Better keep eating those hamburgers :D and drinking them drinks too ;)

CollegeBoy
02-18-2003, 08:21 AM
I am! I eat a lot now. I poop a lot too :fart:

CollegeBoy
02-18-2003, 12:13 PM
TUESDAY 2/18/03

Military Press: 95x8 and 115x7

Seated DB press: 30x8 30x8 (STILL need to buy bigger DBs!, I made a note of it)

Standing Lateral Raises: 15x8 15x8

Standing front raises: 20x8 20x8

Narrow grip bench: 95x8 115x6

Skull Crushers: 50x8 50x4 (I'm not very good at these)

Barbell curls: 60x8 70x8

Hammer Curls: 30x6 30x8 (seated, slightly inclined)

That's about it. Slowly progressing. I think my brain is getting a better grasp on how to work my muscles, so my neuromuscular coordination is progressing.

All I need to do is keep EATING and following the schedule.

Your suggestions and comments?

GonePostal
02-18-2003, 12:31 PM
Sup just taggin your thread. You sound alot like me :).

CollegeBoy
02-18-2003, 12:44 PM
How's that? Insane, motivated, stressed, goofy, and belligerent? :evillaugh

Coke
02-19-2003, 05:48 AM
All of the above! :D

CollegeBoy
02-21-2003, 02:04 PM
Here we go boys and girls...

Flat bench: 135x8 and 155x4 (progress!)

Dumbbell press: 30x8 30x8 (STILLLLL need heavier DBs!)

Dips: BWx6 BWx6

Chin-ups: BWx6 BWx4 (needs work)

Deadlifts: (ohhhhyeahhhh!) 205x7 205x8 225x5

Shrugs: 115x8 115x8 (bar)

Bent barbell rows: 95x8 115x5

I think my back is my natural strong point. My chest isn't all that strong, neither are my legs. Hmm. Oh well... I just keep adding the plates. Progress is soooo sweet! :eek: :cool:

CollegeBoy
02-21-2003, 02:42 PM
By the way. I've gained about 10 lbs since I started. I'm up to around 160 now. I hover between 158 and 162 so I'm calling it 160. I've held this weight for about a week now.

I'm eating as much as I can (well, in a healthy way) and getting probably 3000 calories, maybe more. My bodyfat scale thing said 150lbs at 14% BF when I started, and it says 160lbs and 16% now. I don't think that's TOO bad.

I've been looking back through my logbook: I started the WBB1 routine after not lifting for about 6 or 8 months. I began on 2-6-03 and it is now 2-21-03. This logbook is a HUGE motivation tool. I can see exactly where I want to improve my next workout and write notes about it so I'll remember. I can also SEE, in INK, my progress on each lift day. It's GREAT.

Mood: Very happy. :clap: :strong:

CollegeBoy
02-21-2003, 05:00 PM
ANY input is appreciated. I want to see what everyone thinks and if/where I should change something.

Thanks guys

SWOLE
02-21-2003, 05:37 PM
i thought you worked out at school?? they dont have heavier DB's for you??

SWOLE
02-21-2003, 05:39 PM
i'd say if your fat keeps going up and you are nearing 20%, you definately need to restructure your diet or add some cardio. if it starts to taper off at 16-17% and you keep gaining weight, then that is good. hope everything works out for ya!

CollegeBoy
02-21-2003, 05:40 PM
No way. It's always packed there and it's out of my way. I workout here at home.

rookiebldr
02-21-2003, 09:05 PM
I find my back still my strongest body part however over time my chest has started to improve. Keep doing the chest exercises first in the routine while you are still fresh. Keep at the WBB1 routine until you no longer progress or you get bored with it. I did it for 8 weeks and loved it.

Well done on the deads and progress is always a great thing. As for your BF, that's about a 50/50 split between fat and muscle. Gauge it by how you feel but keep a check on how much you are gaining per week. Gaining too quickly may be an indication that you are gaing more fat then you will want to.

CollegeBoy
03-01-2003, 11:00 AM
Leg day:

Squats: 135x8 - 155x8 - 155x4

Leg curls: 25x8 25x8

Straight legged deadlifts: 205x8 205x8

Quad extentions: 50x8 - 60x8 - 70x8

I'm still prgressing pretty well. I'm gaining weight like MAD. I need to lay off the eating just a bit. I'm up to around 168-170 now. That's almost 20lbs in a month and a half. :eek: tuttut

CollegeBoy
03-01-2003, 11:03 AM
Military press: 115x6 115x6

Seated DB press: 30x8 30x8 (I'll never get around to buying heavier DBs! :rolleyes: )

Standing lateral raises: 15x10 20x10

Narrow grip bench: 115x8 115x8

Barbell curls: 70x8 70x8

Hammer curls: 30x8 (DBs)

CollegeBoy
03-01-2003, 11:07 AM
Flat bench: 135x8 155x4 155x3

Low incline DB press: 30x10 30x10 (F*)@#ing dumbbells!)

Dips: BWx8 BWx8 (FINALLY I can do some good dips. My bodyweight has gone up almost 20lbs since I started dips so this is a real esteem booster)

Deadlifts: 205x8 225x8

Shrugs: 45lb plates held by fingertips x 10

I'm becoming strong(er) while becoming a fat ass at the same time. I should cut the eating a bit :eek: :D

Comments?!

rookiebldr
03-01-2003, 03:14 PM
20lbs in 1.5 months! WOW!!!! Are you feeling fatter, if not then just keep going, otherwise slow it down a bit. I would agree get heavier DBs if that is keeping you from progressing on the incline. You could also do incline BB presses instead.

You might want to add another back exercise to your back day. Deads are great, but a rowing exercise would work in well too.

CollegeBoy
03-01-2003, 04:16 PM
I'm thinking of adding just a bent BB row to my back day. I have used those in the past and they worked really well for me.

I feel a bit fatter... which is to be expected I'm SURE. I think I'll cut down on my eating just a bit to be on the safe side. I'm tellin you guys... I eat everything I can get my hands on!

But yeah... nearly 20lbs in a bit under 2 months. I certainly FEEL bigger and more stout... if that makes sense.

CollegeBoy
03-02-2003, 11:49 AM
Anyone else.......?

SWOLE
03-02-2003, 09:59 PM
Well, since you pretty much just started liftin again, the craving for food will taper off. it does for me when i am bulking. At first i chow everything in site, but then some of the cravings go away and it is easier to start eating more cleanly. i gained 45 pounds last semester. so its all good. you saw my pics, i wasnt terribly fat, but i need to cut a little.
I like the bent t-bar rows, great addition to add thickness to your upper back. they kick my a$$, and they shall kick yours.
stay huge!!! but dont eat everything...

Brandon7775643
03-04-2003, 01:31 PM
Many people reccomend going for a 1 pound per week weight gain.. you're currently clocking in more than three times that amount.

You should watch your bodyfat carefully, because it's likely you're gaining too quickly. Might want to adjust your calories downward a little bit.

CollegeBoy
03-04-2003, 08:46 PM
OK... Did the most intense leg workout yet. It's the day after and my legs are STILL almost giving out when climbing stairs. This is good!

My squat went up pretty well.

Leg curls went up 5lbs (:rolleyes: leg curls)

Deadlift went up a bit.

Quad extention went up 10lbs

Squats: 135x8 155x8 185x5

Leg Curls: 25x8 35x8

Straight Legged Deadlifts: 205x8 225x8

Quad Extentions: 55x8 70x8 80x6

I love this log book thing!:)

CollegeBoy
03-07-2003, 06:09 PM
Well things are looking GREAT as always. My weight gain has slowed up and my bodyfat is either staying the same or dropping (according to the scale, which has been particularly accurate for me). I'm gaining maybe 2-3lbs a week now.

*Shoulders and arms*

Military press: 115x7 115x6

Seated DB press: 30x8 30x8 (OK this has gone on long enough... time to buy some DBs and I'm going RIGHT after I write this journal entry! DAMNIT! :mad: )

Lateral raises: 15x10 20x6

French press: 30x8 30x8 DB

EZ Curl bar curls: 70x8 80x8

Hammer curls: 30x8 30x4

*Chest and back* (today)

Flat bench: 135x8 155x8 155x6 (woohoo!)

Incline DB press: 30x8 30x8

Dips: BWx8 BWx6

Deadlifts: 205x8 255x6 (WOOO HOO!!!)

Shrugs: 45lb plates 2 sets x 12

Barbell rows: 95x8 115x6

That's all, folks!

JD

SWOLE
03-07-2003, 06:51 PM
did you get your DB's yet??

CollegeBoy
03-07-2003, 06:53 PM
I'm goin tomorrow... everything is closed. I put a big note on my bathroom mirror though! :study:

CollegeBoy
03-10-2003, 04:10 PM
LEG DAY! I have had really good luck with my squats and quad raises lately. I'm happy with this!

Squats: 135x8 (warmup) 185x8 185x4 (sweeet, getting close to the 205 mark!)

Leg curls: 30x8 (only did one set... I hate leg curls... do they even DO anything?)

SLDL: 205x8 255x8 (:D yay!)

Quad extentions: 70x8 80x8 85x8

And that about sums it up, folks. Squats and deadlifts going up quicker than I imagined. I guess it's not ALL muscle, but some mental attitude as well!

Somebody get back to me on these leg curls. I hate them... and I don't seem to be progressing much. I DO think big hams are cool, though. I guess the SLDL takes care of those quite a bit... but what's another alternative to beefing up the backs of my legs? Lunges?

JD

SWOLE
03-10-2003, 04:35 PM
do they even do anything!?!?!? hahaahha... they work your hamstrings, as do straight legged deadlifts, they are a good burn finisher after SLDL's. just do 2 sets of 8-10. leg extensions should be a little bit higher reps because it is one of those exercises that can really bring out the striations in your quads.
pizzle

CollegeBoy
03-10-2003, 04:41 PM
By the way... those quad extentions and leg curls are with one leg only :) I'm not THAT weak c'mon :D

I'll keep the leg curls in my routine then. I usually do them BEFORE SLDL so maybe I'll do them after now.

SWOLE
03-10-2003, 06:27 PM
i didnt say you were weak... and where are we goin???
have fun at class...

CollegeBoy
03-12-2003, 04:24 PM
I was feeling really rested in my chest and back so I did it for the 2nd time this week. I'm going on vacation next week so this should be OK.

Flat bench: 135x8 155x8 175x5

Incline DB press: 45x8 55x8

Dips: BWx8 BWx8

Deadlifts: 205x8 255x8 305x3 (WOOO!!!)

Shrugs: 60x10 75x10

Bench and deadlifts went up today. Sweet. :D

SWOLE
03-13-2003, 07:44 PM
your stats confuse me....
15% of 155 is 23.25
18% of 165 is 29.7
actually, now that i think about it, i was thinking something else, but still that means 2/3 of your gains were fat and the other of course 1/3 was muscle. restructuring your diet is a good thing.
keep up the gains though!

CollegeBoy
03-13-2003, 08:07 PM
Those ARE percentages from the step-on bodyfat scale. Now they're at around 18% at 168-170lbs.

There's no way I'm really at 18%, I'm just using it as a reference.

SWOLE
03-13-2003, 08:26 PM
gotcha. sorry to piss you off....

CollegeBoy
03-13-2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by SWOLE
gotcha. sorry to piss you off....

Yeah, I'm pissed at you for that. Don't let it happen again! tuttut :D

CollegeBoy
04-03-2003, 09:18 PM
LEGS:

Squats: 135x8 185x8 185x6